Rockies vs Mariners Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t Be Like Mike: Seattle Pitcher is Unreliable in Colorado

Colorado concludes its three-game home series with Seattle on Sunday at 3:10 ET. Colorado fans and backers will be happy heading into the All-Star Break.

Seattle Mariners at Colorado Rockies

MLB Pick: 1H Colorado

Seattle’s Mike Leake (8-6, 4.36 ERA) shows poor form, allowing eight runs in his past eight innings. He has yielded an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) over 5.50 in his last two road starts. History doesn’t offer him hope. In his one career start in Colorado, he yielded six runs in 4.1 innings.

Leake relies on five different pitches with at least 10 percent frequency, the cutter, curve, change-up, slider and, his favorite, the sinker. Leake is suffering because opponents are slugging .750 against his sinker. Opponents are punishing it partly because his other pitches are lacking quality so that his pitch variety is no longer a weapon. He likes to aim low in the zone in order to induce ground balls—which he does with 49% frequency. But lately, he is leaving his pitches elevated and in the more hittable, middle regions of the plate. His poor command is also affecting his sinker, which he’s throwing with seven percent lower frequency for a strike. Problematically, he leans on this pitch especially when he’s behind in the count. So he’s increasingly predictable. In his last three starts, batters are slugging .667 against his sinker when ahead in the count.

Colorado is the last place where a pitcher wants location issues. Pitchers want to aim low in Coors Field, because if they leave pitches up in the zone, batters are more likely to drive them and the flight of batted balls will meet with less resistance from Denver's reduced air density. Pitchers place their stuff with 28% frequency in the lowest row of the strike zone and the row below that both in Colorado and overall. Conversely, Colorado’s pitchers hit with 29.4% frequency the lowest locations in Colorado, but only 28.7% overall. Colorado pitchers show more success with their low placement of breaking and off-speed pitches at home— whereas other pitchers struggle — because they have more practice. Achieving vertical depth with a fastball is actually easier in Colorado, but breaking pitches lose some movement, meaning that pitchers have to adjust their aim. Leake struggled in Coors Field because he, unlike Anderson, avoids throwing fastballs, but instead relies more on breaking pitches. I expect him to struggle again because he possesses the same pitching arsenal and is struggling with location.

The Rockies are strongly underachieving, based on quality of contact, against Leake’s top pitch, the sinker. Nolan Arenado and Charlie Blackmon are hitting over .300 in their past seven days.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Volume 3, Chapter 19<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StoryTime?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#StoryTime</a> <a href="https://t.co/69iOUS3l0Z">pic.twitter.com/69iOUS3l0Z</a></p>&mdash; Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) <a href=" ">14. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Colorado’s southpaw Tyler Anderson (6-3, 3.76 ERA) has allowed one run in his last 22 innings. His command was off in his last start, leading to an inefficient outing, but he still only allowed three hits in six innings against Arizona.

Anderson relies on a fastball-cutter-change combo. His most effective pitch is his cutter, which opponents bat .191 against. He excels in placing it on the lower periphery of the zone, combining precise placement with arm-side movement to make it a reliable whiff pitch. Anderson’s strong form, though, derives from the improvement in his fastball, which he is throwing less often in those spots where opponents had been slamming it and adding more spin to. He is focusing on it more at the expense of his change-up and curve and yielding an opposing BA of .200 or lower in each of his last three starts, even though two of his last three opponents rank higher in slugging against the fastball from lefties than Seattle in the past month.

Seattle’s lineup is the second-most overachieving team both in slugging and BA against Anderson’s top three pitches from lefties. The team is profitable overall, but yields negative units against southpaws. Seattle’s top hitter, Jean Segura, is batting under .200 against lefties in the past month.

Teams should have full lineups in with it being last game before the break.

What’s your take on the nats and Harper? How does that manager not sit him today after him dogging it on that ground out last night?? No way Martinez lasts more than this year

Wow I just looked that up on Foxsports. I would say that the manager not sitting him reflects terribly on him and the team. A good manager would have higher expectations for his players and would set his foot down in order to enforce them. This is the INaction of a manager who doesn't have a good grip on his team or just doesn't care to motivate them

Wow I just looked that up on Foxsports. I would say that the manager not sitting him reflects terribly on him and the team. A good manager would have higher expectations for his players and would set his foot down in order to enforce them. This is the INaction of a manager who doesn't have a good grip on his team or just doesn't care to motivate them

I want to hear what they say on fox sports about it. Last night Willis and Swisher basically said in order to gain respect of the team he had to sit him, or a vet like a Scherzer had to call him out

Rockies left-hander Tyler Anderson (6-3, 3.76) will start against Mike Leake (8-6, 4.26) with Anderson coming off three outstanding starts and Leake trying to rebound from back-to-back poor outings.Anderson is 2-0, 0.41 ERA in his past three starts, a stretch in which he has allowed nine hits and one run in 22 innings with seven walks and 25 strikeouts. He allowed six runs over five innings in his only previous start against the Mariners.Leake is 2-2 with a 5.60 ERA in five starts against the Rockies.Seattle is 13-6 in games started by Leake, who has thrown seven or more innings in seven starts, including three eight-inning outings. However, he has thrown just four innings in each of his past two starts, going 0-2, 9.00 in those games, both against the Los Angeles Angels.
Story went 2-for-4 Saturday to extend his hitting streak to a season-high tying nine games, eight of which have been multiple hit games. He's hitting .293 with a .906 OPS along with a team-leading 27 doubles, 19 home runs and 67 RBIs, which is tied for the team lead.

I was watching Oriole game last night, dont laugh, it was hard and only for first 5 innings. Anyway, interviewing Brooks Robinson and he is like rotating infielders is wrong, the reason Bryce and the orioles suck is cause the holes they used to hit to are covered. What a joke. If they were any good they would adjust. It's great strategy, if its outlawed, I would probably turn it off forever. I'm amazed when I hear people gripe about it.

I was watching Oriole game last night, dont laugh, it was hard and only for first 5 innings. Anyway, interviewing Brooks Robinson and he is like rotating infielders is wrong, the reason Bryce and the orioles suck is cause the holes they used to hit to are covered. What a joke. If they were any good they would adjust. It's great strategy, if its outlawed, I would probably turn it off forever. I'm amazed when I hear people gripe about it.

Lmao that reminds me of an episode of Full House where they play basketball and Jesse whines that the defender is guarding his sweep spot so he cant shoot lol

If Cards win noting in future this spot of betting a team after manager fired. Their O has finally scored some runs today

It would stand to reason they should maybe think about hitting it somewhere else!! Lol. All jokes aside those shifts leave some gaping freakin holes, I would think some these guys would adjust but the problem is they all selfish jerkoffs who rather hit into the shift 12 times in a row if it means they homer the 13th ab.

Nice article about it

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24049347/mlb-hitters-explain-why-just-beat-shift

"The reason they shift you in the places they do is because that's what your batted ball data says. I heard Joe Maddon say, 'You have three choices: You can try to hit it and beat the shift. That's going to give you a single, but now you're doing something against what you're best at, so the defense wins. You can hit into the shift, and the defense wins. Or you can try not to let the infielders catch the batted ball. No ground balls and no popups. Try to stand on second base.' That's Option C.''

Back