Rockets vs. Lakers (series discussion)

Mr. McIlhon

Pretty much a regular
Can the Rockets take this series? I'd like to think they are not the same team that lost 4 out of 4 to LA this year (and most very lopsided losses). The series price is +700. I feel like the Rockets are a bit of a match-up problem for LA. They have the big man in Yao and the toughness in Scola. They have two great defenders in Artest/Battier to take turns defending Kobe. I think if Artest plays as well offensively as he did in Game 6 against Portland, and Houston can use Yao as effectively as they did in Game 1, Houston has a chance.

What do you guys think?

To be honest with you, I think the Lakers sweep the Rockets or take it in 5 maximum. They can tag team Kobe all they want with Artest/Battier but there are so many weapons on the Lakers. Gasol can go off on any given night and Odom is gonna be huge in this series. I like when he comes off the bench cus that brings more energy from the bench which has been lacking. Also having Bynum back at least gives the Lakers an inside presence to battle Yao.

Last edited:
Wasted $$ in my opinion. Same thing I said when people were discussing the "value" in the 1st round big lines that were offered on Utah, Philly and Detroit. Only dogs I've taken on series plays so far have been Mavs and Bulls. And say all you want that the Bulls were a good value play but I still lost the unit. Ask yourself this. If they play this best of 7, 7 times would the Rockets win it more than once? If not then there is no value in +700. I think the Lakers win this series 9 out of 10 times and that's being kind to Houston. LA is on a mission to get back to the finals. Lakers in 6 games "MAX"...

yao is going to be foul trouble all series and the frontline behind him is a joke. this is over in 5.

Houston in 6? Wow. That would seriously shock the world. There is nothing that makes me believe that is even a remote possibility. Lakers own that team, Kobe is too motivated against Artest, Yao is a 18-8 guy not a 26-12 guy, Adelman never could beat Phil, Houston probably thrilled just to be on this court with LA in the 2nd round, Houston's lack of a strong leader.

I just don't think LA even considers this team a serious threat. 4-0 in the season. Does Houston really think they can win? I'm skeptical.

That said, as a disinterested fan, Im gonna be rootin like hell for Hou to steal one of the first two, cuz thatll make it a GREAT series.

Gun to my head I'd say LA in 5 again, albeit with much closer games than in the Utah series.

I say Lakers in 5 they have owned this team all year, not sure why it would change here in the playoffs with a focused team like LA.

not to play the "fixed" card, but if you think that the NBA isn't going to do everything in their power to make sure its Kobe vs Lebron in the finals, you are extremely naive. for the rockets to win, they are going to have to beat a lot more than just the lakers

not to play the "fixed" card, but if you think that the NBA isn't going to do everything in their power to make sure its Kobe vs Lebron in the finals, you are extremely naive. for the rockets to win, they are going to have to beat a lot more than just the lakers

Agreed but they really wont have to do much fixing this year to make that happen.. both lakers and cavs are clearly dominant in their conferences and barring major injury or collapse they will meet in the finals with or without nba help

i'm a rockets fan, of course i want them to win, but i dont have my hopes up. if we win, i'd be very surprised, like everyone else, but the lakers are too damn good. only if kobe is out do we win this series. but you never know.

Can the Rockets take this series? I'd like to think they are not the same team that lost 4 out of 4 to LA this year (and most very lopsided losses). The series price is +700. I feel like the Rockets are a bit of a match-up problem for LA. They have the big man in Yao and the toughness in Scola. They have two great defenders in Artest/Battier to take turns defending Kobe. I think if Artest plays as well offensively as he did in Game 6 against Portland, and Houston can use Yao as effectively as they did in Game 1, Houston has a chance.

What do you guys think?

Ok

I was soooo distracted by your avatar that I have not read your post

Well Done :cheers:

What do you guys think?

who is scola going to guard?

I had the Rockettes last series at +136, but they have NO chance here. Yao can't guard Gasol outside of the paint and Bynum can body him up as long as he doesn't pick up a foul a minute like he did in the first round.

I worry about the Lakers will to kill them in this series, but Kobe should be pissed about Artest calling Brandon Roy the most difficult guy he's ever guarded and that will make him dominate Artest more than he did all season-long. And you're joking if you think Ron Artest will be an impact player on offense because that idiot shoots worse than most players in the league, and even then they're bad, off-balance shots that clank all night long.

Man. Credit where credit is due, I was dead wrong. Houston made it look easy. You gotta love Yao... one of my top 5 favorite players no doubt. He played awesome. Brooks is basically unguardable. Battier and Artest worked their asses off on Kobe. Bynum was a nonfactor. Gasol looked lost. Artest was in control on offense. Adelman outcoached Phil.

Gonna be a hell of a series.

As simple as it should be for the Rockets to go through Yao, the Rockets will inevitably find a way to ignore him. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Same thing happened in the last series where Yao made his presence felt in the first game. Unlike Portland, the lakers will capitalize.

As simple as it should be for the Rockets to go through Yao, the Rockets will inevitably find a way to ignore him. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Same thing happened in the last series where Yao made his presence felt in the first game. Unlike Portland, the lakers will capitalize.

completely disagree on both parts

In the Portland series they tried to get it to Yao, but Portland changed up the defense on him. They had the big guys to do it- strong and agile enough to limit his touches. There is no point in trying to force it to him when he's being guarded up front and has help behind, and can only hope that the man they double off can score. It was not that they went away from him, but more that Portland focused their D on limiting his touches. They obviously tried failed as Houston won the series without HCA in 6

this series is different. Bynum has proved that he is a liability on the court. All the Lakers big men were playin Yao from behind, letting him catch 10 ft from the basket and trying to force him into bad shots- which is difficult considering he's 7 inches taller than them. LA doesnt have the athletic and strong big men to mess up Yao's rhythm if Bynum is unhealthy. I'm sure PJ will come up with something, but everyone knows to stop Yao you front him and force Houston to make good passes and make shots. LA may not have the defenders to do so which is why I have been saying Houston has the best chance in the west to beat LA.
Not saying Battier/Artest can stop Kobe, but they are the best wing defensive tandem in the league. If any team can limit Kobe- which maybe no team can- its Houston. You frustrate Kobe, you hurt LA.
-Same goes with their matchup vs Cleveland

I did say Lakers in 4 or 5 but I got to hand it to Houston they played really well last night and this series looks like it will be much closer then many thought. Good call SF

Ok can we just say that Yao is one of the best big men in the game right now??

Well done by HOU last night ---- We might be looking at a "cinderella"

Back