Rockets run could prove costly

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Thought I'd post this up to share my view on these Rockets. Obviously a 22 game winning streak is insane as it is, but they are also 32-4 in 2008. which is another mammoth streak right there. Deserves nothing but respect.

However, I talked to a friend of mine last night and we agreed that this huge run of theirs has them right there among the top teams, the creme de la creme. The Spurs are old, the Suns with O'Neal needed some time to start clicking, so the biggest public darlings right now (in the West) right now are the magical Lakers and - the Rockets.

Now here's my theory, I may or may not be wrong but that's why I posted this up so we can share thoughts. I am thinking this. The books KEEP treating Houston as an elite team even after they end the streak. Also, the playoffs are near, depending on who they meet in the 1st round of course (impossible to say right now as they can be anywhere from 1st (unlikely but let's say they will) to 4th in Southwest, they will be treated as a big fav.

I'm not a Rockets' hater or anything, I love their work ethic, I love how they compensated for the loss of Yao, I love how their bench has been producing (just insane) I love their game.

However, I think now is time to fade them. Not today, but after they end the streak, which can be tonight. You know how there's an unwritten rule that says "fade the team that just ended a winning streak". Well this is THE streak. Think that would apply here as well.

Also, I am convinced their bench will start regressing first. Then T-Mac will have to get back to his berserk shooting habits. Dikembe is like a hundred years old. Yeah NOW he's waving his finger, now he's stepping up, but these guys will need to take a breather. Rafer Alston is playing above his usual self now, Scola, Hayes, Bobby Jackson, these guys are playing great. Adelman uses a 9 men rotation mostly. The day will come when the bench will start sucking, because it's NORMAL that it does. You can't expect them to ignite a run every time they come in forever, can you? They will be beat once this streak is done, this team WORKS and runs for 48 minutes, no breaks, no "easy games". But they are already down a men, this streak has to be with them 24/7 now...it could prove costly.

Now I'm not suggesting ANY action whatsoever until they show signs of slowing down. Until then they're on cloud nine, beating them one by one. Do not chase this. Even though, you should probably be good any day now, but don't do it, simply because they're still hot.

The point of this thread: no matter who they clash with in the playoffs, depending on the price + the situation the other team is in, I am actually willing of fading them in the 1st round. Prior to that, I'm going to fade them when they end this run of Ws.

Enough with my rant, share your thoughts.

Nice thoughts Satyr.

Admire what this team has done but if they make it past 2nd round I will be shocked. Still won;t be suprised if they lose in the opening round.

Just like with the Lakers a few weeks ago people can pounce on these inflated lines soon and start cashing.

yeah I mean I can't imagine 2 rounds of playoffs without TMac's press conference tears. I'm cruel I know. :D

Something ive learned after doing this for a long time is you gotta ride the streak. If a team is hot, i dont think its wise to bet against the streak, just my opinion. All that being said, im cheering for them. But, they wont get far. If they remain #1 I can see them beating Golden St or Denver easily though

Thought I'd post this up to share my view on these Rockets. Obviously a 22 game winning streak is insane as it is, but they are also 32-4 in 2008. which is another mammoth streak right there. Deserves nothing but respect.

However, I talked to a friend of mine last night and we agreed that this huge run of theirs has them right there among the top teams, the creme de la creme. The Spurs are old, the Suns with O'Neal needed some time to start clicking, so the biggest public darlings right now (in the West) right now are the magical Lakers and - the Rockets.

Now here's my theory, I may or may not be wrong but that's why I posted this up so we can share thoughts. I am thinking this. The books KEEP treating Houston as an elite team even after they end the streak. Also, the playoffs are near, depending on who they meet in the 1st round of course (impossible to say right now as they can be anywhere from 1st (unlikely but let's say they will) to 4th in Southwest, they will be treated as a big fav.

I'm not a Rockets' hater or anything, I love their work ethic, I love how they compensated for the loss of Yao, I love how their bench has been producing (just insane) I love their game.

However, I think now is time to fade them. Not today, but after they end the streak, which can be tonight. You know how there's an unwritten rule that says "fade the team that just ended a winning streak". Well this is THE streak. Think that would apply here as well.

Also, I am convinced their bench will start regressing first. Then T-Mac will have to get back to his berserk shooting habits. Dikembe is like a hundred years old. Yeah NOW he's waving his finger, now he's stepping up, but these guys will need to take a breather. Rafer Alston is playing above his usual self now, Scola, Hayes, Bobby Jackson, these guys are playing great. Adelman uses a 9 men rotation mostly. The day will come when the bench will start sucking, because it's NORMAL that it does. You can't expect them to ignite a run every time they come in forever, can you? They will be beat once this streak is done, this team WORKS and runs for 48 minutes, no breaks, no "easy games". But they are already down a men, this streak has to be with them 24/7 now...it could prove costly.

Now I'm not suggesting ANY action whatsoever until they show signs of slowing down. Until then they're on cloud nine, beating them one by one. Do not chase this. Even though, you should probably be good any day now, but don't do it, simply because they're still hot.

The point of this thread: no matter who they clash with in the playoffs, depending on the price + the situation the other team is in, I am actually willing of fading them in the 1st round. Prior to that, I'm going to fade them when they end this run of Ws.

Enough with my rant, share your thoughts.
nice write-up / i agree, i think they'll run out of gas come playoff time.

they wont be worn out. they are playing strong, smart, WELL-BALANCED ball right now. i don't see any signs of fatigue.

Disagree. Last 10 they are up 66 rebounds. Nobody shoots good against them Tracy goes 4-16 and they beat the Lakers. They are a team of very talented hard playing individuals with a quality coach and a very good mix of youth and age and I believe they are the total reverse of smoke and mirrors. You want to bet on young teams that rebound well and play quality defense and have shooting threats everywhere. They absolutely can win it all. The real contenders are Lakers, Utah and Houston. The rest are decoration.

Real contenders are Lakers, Utah, SA, Dallas.

No Houston if you ask me. With Yao? Yes. But now, no way.

Also, Tuck, the Lakers sans Gasol and Bynum. Kobe took 33 shots. Not something to overlook.

Satyr I agree with you and I already started fading them but stopped do the the injuries and the great spots they keep getting the stronger teams as Lakers and now Boston.
Good stuff though!!!

Divol :shake:

btw, I don't want to be misunderstood here. As I said, I love their working ethic, I like what they've been doing. The only thing is, they have no Yao now, after they hit the wall following this streak, I don't think it will be so easy to recapture the winning chemistry again. As I said, with Yao - a whole different ballgame.

Divol :shake:

btw, I don't want to be misunderstood here. As I said, I love their working ethic, I like what they've been doing. The only thing is, they have no Yao now, after they hit the wall following this streak, I don't think it will be so easy to recapture the winning chemistry again. As I said, with Yao - a whole different ballgame.

What's one got to do with the other? I love their team as well. T-Mac deserves to finally make it through a round and Dikembe is my HOF without a doubt. So what? they will lose and too much till the season is ovder.

Because I feel some could read only a part of the opening post and think that I'm making some anti Houston call. I don't think they're "smoke & mirrors" as Tuck said. I never suggested that. Just said I'd expect them to regress big time following this mammoth streak and having to play without Yao.

I'd say Utah/Houston WC Finals. At least 1 of those 2 will make it that far, imo. The West is close on paper, but

(1) the *no defense* teams arent going as far as the finals, as usual (GS/PHX)
(2) the Spurs are in a down year & they look it presently at this, the crunchtime of the season. They simply do not back up championships.
(3) The Lakers problem was witnessed against Houston. When things aren't happening, it's all on Kobe, and Kobe can't do it by himself in (potentially) a 7 game series (thats also been seen before). Gasol maybe injured but he was injured with Memphis this season and last. What's his durability? questionable. This is a team still 1-2 years away from maturation. Not convinced of the Lakers defense.
(4) Nawlins have depth and experience issues, and, in David West, health issues.
(4) Dallas is a dark horse. They could bow out early again, or when they're actually in the playoffs having avoided drawing GDS, they could re-remember 2 years back. They have 5 big opponents in their next 6 games, 3-4 wins and the signs will be there.

That leaves Houston & Utah.

Good breakdown BC, I tend to agree with all points there. :shake: The only thing I would add is that the Lakers will have at least Pau healthy for the playoffs, if not both him and Bynum. A whole different story with them in the team.

The Rockets, however, won't be able to compensate for the loss of Yao. Why are you and Tuck, both fantastic cappers, overlooking this? Because they rode a 22 game winning streak? They have a 9 men rotation. Who is going to jump in once these guys slow down? Steve Novak? Nah. Steve Francis? Even less likely. :D

They're missing beef in the paint now with Yao out, T-Mac can force shots as well as Kobe when they're down...I just don't think they'll be the real deal come playoffs.

Satyr - it's not that the Rocks are so fantastic, its that the big guns from recent years in the west (SAS, PHX, DAL) are past their prime, and other than Utah what's left on the table is capable of losing to HOU, imo. To me, the WCFs will come to to UTH, HOU & LAK (the Fakers need a fit Gasol, & he's not guaranteed to hold up).

I think it has been exaggerated that SA does not back their championships. They can still eliminate HOU from the playoffs. PHX I'm not a fan of, but they're developing some chemistry. Dallas I can see more seriously than the Rockets right now.

Utah as well. Denver can eliminate them if Karl gets them to play D, which he won't, so scratch that.

It's a tough battle. The Rockets going all the way without Yao is just too far fetched for my taste.

I'd say Utah/Houston WC Finals.

& I'll bump my post, and say it's a pity I can't be proven 100% correct because they're meeting each other in the 1st round
icon7.gif

Back