Rexy's Week 20 Niffel...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Sup fellas. Good luck this week, should be some fun games.

Back with the AFC writeup in a bit; NFC game follows...

Accurate, strong arm, smart, and mobile.

Those words describe the quarterback of each of the two teams I'm betting this weekend.

Of course, the mobility of a certain No. 12 in the NFC Championship game can certainly come into question, but I still like getting two scores with what I believe is still the best player in the league.

Green Bay's ultimate keys to winning the game will be on the ground - on both sides of the ball. Offensively, the way to negate Seattle's speed is pounding it, which will help to create throwing lanes. There's no number I have in mind, but something between 120-130 yards between Eddie Lacy and James Starks would go a long way toward making life easier for quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

On the other side, selling out to stop the run and maintaining gap discipline on passes against Seattle's Russell Wilson is likely the easiest route. Slow running back Marshawn Lynch and don't allow Wilson to scramble for first downs, and you should have enough offense to be winning going into the fourth quarter.

Now let's break down why I think both of these things are not only possible, but will happen.

You don't have to search very hard or far to find all of the great press clippings regarding the Seattle defense. Since Bobby Wagner returned to the lineup in Week 12, the Seahawks have allowed an average of precisely eight points per game. Yet going back even further, the Seahawks also greatly benefited from a schedule that has seen them face mediocre offense after mediocre offense since mid-October.

The last time Seattle's defense had to battle an offense that ranks in the top-10 in yards per play on offense was in Week 6, a 30-23 home loss to Dallas. Since then, here is a list of starting quarterbacks Seattle has faced:

Austin Davis (Rams, a career backup)
Cam Newton (Car, twice)
Derek Carr (Oak, a rookie)
Eli Manning (Giants, right in the middle of a seven game losing streak)
Alex Smith (KC, who handed Seattle its last loss)
Drew Stanton (Ari, a career backup)
Colin Kaepernick (49ers, who has regressed greatly in the last two years, twice)
Mark Sanchez (Philly, a backup)
Ryan Lindley (Ari, a waiver-wire pickup)
Shaun Hill (Rams, another career backup).

As you can see, this will be a different animal. Of the last eight games for the Seattle defense, only Philly has an offense that was in the top half of the league.

Green Bay running back Eddie Lacy has been on a roll since Week 12. He's ran for (in order) 125, 98, 73, 97, 99, 100 and 101 in the last seven games.

Seattle will be without two key defensive linemen. Brandon Mebane and Jordan Hill missed last week and their absences helped the Panthers run for 132 yards. Seattle had held opponents under 65 rushing yards in five of its last six games before these injuries; Hill is out for the season and the Seahawks are now down 5 D-linemen (IR) and a sixth, Tony McDaniel, is listed as questionable. Green Bay should be trying to hit the A and B-gaps hard early.

In the first game of the season, Green Bay largely ignored the side of the field patrolled by cover corner Richard Sherman, sending overmatched Jarrett Boykin to occupy him and create matchup edges on the other half of the field. With a defense as fast as Seattle's, cutting the field in half is not such a good idea, so you can expect the Packers to look for different matchups to exploit this time. Two-receiver combo routes (slot receiver on a wheel, anyone?) could work, and Green Bay is very good on offense at locating its personnel and using varying formations to create mismatches. Randall Cobb has been coming out of the backfield plenty as of late to get matched up against a linebacker or a corner stuck out of position. Look for plenty of isolation routes designed to widen the defense and create clear passing lanes for Rodgers.

Seattle's biggest weakness is generating a pass rush and a lack of pressure could doom the Seahawks.

Rodgers led Green Bay on three long scoring drives last week, including 90-yard and 80-yard touchdowns, to cement the win. His touchdown-to-interception ratio is borderline absurd and he'll need to eliminate mistakes against the opportunistic Seattle defense for Green Bay to have its best chance.

While Seattle did score a 36-16 win in Week 1, it's important to see how they did it, gashing the Packers for almost six yards per carry while going over 200 yards. But a key component of that offense is missing, as Percy Harvin plies his trade for the New York Jets now. Harvin's misdirections and jet sweeps aren't a factor here, and that can't be overlooked. Seattle no longer tries to deceive anyone; they line up, run it, and let Wilson make plays with his legs.

But the Packers have guys who can take that away. They're a good slot-blitzing defense, athletic inside and can play man coverage across the board. This gives defensive coordinator Dom Capers many options when trying to dial up the perfect calls. Clay Matthews is the ideal spy now that he's been playing inside backer since midseason. In Week 1, Matthews was a rusher from the outside trying to get into the backfield, meaning they couldn't use him as a spy in that role.

He's got the athleticism to keep up with Wilson. If Julius Peppers can cause the same havoc he did last week against Dallas and Nick Perry can keep being Nick Perry, Matthews can focus on stopping the run first and spying Wilson when Seattle decides to pass. That said, Green Bay would be wise to switch up the spy to make things more difficult for Seattle's pass protections. It's easy for the Seattle O-line to base its protections around Matthews and identify blitzes easier if they know he's always the spy.

Seattle doesn't have many offensive weapons to begin with after Lynch and Wilson. Tight end Luke Willson has emerged as a viable downfield threat and Jermaine Kearse had a decent game last week. But speed threat Paul Richardson tore up his knee last week and is finished for the season. There aren't many big play threats at all.

Therefore, I expect Capers to come with edge blitzes for two reasons. He should be able to trust his corners in man coverage on the outside, and edge blitzes are a great way to attack a read-option rushing attack. Capers can bring pressure early against the inside zone and not limit it to just passing situations. The elite Dallas offense had just 315 yards last week, signaling a continued improvement in the Green Bay defense.

Turnovers ruined the Panthers last week. They had thrown a pick and lost a fumble, yet were driving to make it a one-score game until a 14-point swing came when Kam Chancellor squatted on a route and went 90 yards the other way to seal the Seattle win. That pick-6, a 63-yard pass and a short field after a fumble were three touchdowns by Seattle. Its offense really only had one drive down the field against Carolina's defense. That seems a tough way to keep trying to win, let alone cover big numbers, against higher-level teams.

Even with the Week 1 Seattle win, Green Bay is still 7-2-1 in their last 10 against teams with a winning record. The underdog is 9-7 outright in the last 16 NFC Championships and the road team has advanced to the Super Bowl in three of the last four seasons.

I'll call for those trends to continue again and the Packers to pull the outright upset. Green Bay wins it, 27-23, and advances to Glendale. Will be a combined big play for 3 units for me. Two at +7.5 -115 and one more at +275 on the moneyline.

Back in a bit for the AFC thoughts...

GL!

:shake:

Similar thoughts on the matchup, biggest concern is DDcheck taking a shot that makes it worse. ML has now shot up to +305, didn't think it would get past +280. Had a feeling late $ would come in on the Hawks, but I am surprised to see +8.5-115 readily available.

I'm on the UNDER in this one, and frankly don't see GB getting 27 points. The Mebane and Hill injury are old news, Seattle has been playing without them for a long time. I was a Rodgers supporter last week, and I thought he played ok. However, he entered the 4th qtr with under 200 passing yards. The no-huddle, shotgun offense they ran in the second half will not be an option in Seattle today, and while the Cowboys were unable to get a pass rush, Seattle will.

Yes Eddie Lacey should be able to run the ball, as will Lynch. You pointed out that Seattle doesn't have many playmakers (although Paul Richardson never was a factor), but GB does. However, those playmakers should be negated. I like it under. I don't think the spread plays a role in this one. Either GB wins SU or Seattle wins by 2+ scores. Hope GB get it's done for you.

GL.

thanks for the words, smh... i can see your UNDER. Lots of wind today, i guess between 15-20 sustained and gusts into the 40s or even up to 50. I think wind is not a big deal at that stadium, but it is a semi-cross wind, from the corner of the southwest end zone toward the corner of the northeast end zone.

New England and most of its haughty fanbase doesn't consider Indianapolis a true "rival". It will be up to third-year quarterback Andrew Luck to change that perception this week when he takes the fourth-seeded Colts into Foxborough, Mass. for a Sunday evening showdown for the AFC Championship.

Luck has had three highly-publicized meetings with Tom Brady and the Patriots since coming into the league; the Colts were mauled 59-24, 43-22 and 42-20 in those games. The last two produced eerily similar statistical lines. The 43-22 game was in the AFC Divisional round last January, where LeGarrette Blount pounded the Colts for 166 yards and four touchdowns.

During this regular season, Indy was a 3-point home favorite but it was all third-string running back Jonas Gray, all the time for the Patriots. That Nov. 16 bludgeoning was the fifth straight Pats win in the series, with Gray going for about 200 yards and four touchdowns. The Pats punted only once all night; yet Gray's rarely been heard from since.

The top-seeded Patriots are nothing, if not versatile, from week to week. They completely ditched the run last week; Brady never turned and handed the ball to one of his running backs after halftime as the Pats rallied from two touchdowns back twice in a thrilling 35-31 triumph over visiting Baltimore. The Pats finished with just 14 yards rushing, the least-ever for a team to win a playoff game in the NFL.

Blount might be the back to watch Sunday; he grinded out 281 yards and five rushing touchdowns in the last six games of the regular season.

The Indianapolis defense has certainly been better as of lately. The Colts have allowed just 33 combined points to the Titans, Bengals and Broncos. Towering run stopper Arthur Jones missed the first game this season between the teams; he'll certainly affect what New England will try to do. The Pats used six offensive linemen on 32 of Gray's 37 carries and just bludgeoned the Colts to death in November. That doesn't seem likely again. The Colts were impressive in Denver, yielding just 288 yards to Peyton Manning and the Bronco offense.

Although he had two interceptions against the Broncos that were essentially punts, Luck has a dangerous amount of playmaking ability and comes into this game brimming with confidence after successive good efforts since the Dallas debacle in Week 16.

The Colts did have 31 giveaways, which was third-most in the league. A more careful game plan by offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton has led to more running from Dan "Boom" Herron, who has 119 yards rushing last week and several catches on Luck check-downs, as the Stanford product has been more careful as of late.

Not many folks are giving Indianapolis a chance, but I am. Let's break down how it's going to happen.

Luck dropped back on each of the first 11 snaps last week in Denver. Once the Colts established the pass, they were able to soften up the feared Bronco front and run the ball 26 times. That sort of balance would be useful in Foxborough.

Luck has been able to involve Herron in the passing game the last couple of weeks, taking what the defense gives him instead of trying to force a big play. Herron has had 18 catches in 19 targets in the playoffs and should be plenty involved again today as the Pats try to slow the litany of big-play targets Luck has going downfield. There's little doubt that the Colts have the more explosive offense; they led the league in passing yards and touchdowns.

The Patriots have had a lackluster four-man rush, so expect linebackers Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower coming on A-gap blitzes from the outset. This could leave them vulnerable to the check-downs to Herron and Zurlon Tipton out of the Indy backfield.

Coby Fleener caught all seven of his targets in Week 11 for 144 yards, and Dwayne Allen has emerged as a red zone target. The Pats are among the worst teams in the league in covering tight ends, so expect both guys to be involved, especially if Darrelle Revis is matched up with T.Y. Hilton on the outside.

Luck doesn't have the quick trigger, but his mobility is matched by no other AFC quarterback inside and outside of the pocket. The offensive line has been steadily better since making some late-season changes, and Luck has had a clean pocket in each of the last three weeks. The Pats didn't get much pressure to Joe Flacco last week so Luck should have time to find his talented receivers.

Luck threw four interceptions last year in the playoffs at New England, and the Pats have won each of the last two meetings by three touchdowns each. The Pats did have a bye before each of those games; they won't get the extra week to prepare for this one, having emptied the emotional tank last week.

What on earth will the Pats do on offense? I've watched enough film to make my head spin. Generally speaking, they like to surprise you and keep you on your toes. But Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels are also arrogant enough to know that they pounded the Colts on the ground in each of the last couple of meetings. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That said, this is a different game than New England's Week 11 rout at Indy. Jones, the gigantic run stopper who was signed to a five-year contract in the offseason, missed more than half the season due to injury. His presence today should virtually guarantee the Pats won't be able to play six offensive linemen and smashmouth their way up and down the field. He's been back for seven weeks and no team has come close to doing what New England did on the ground against the Colts since. Nose tackle Josh Chapman has improved, especially against interior zone run blocks. And D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman have had impressive recognition and speed as of late.

So I'm banking on the Pats falling behind and eventually having to throw the ball. Brady has eight touchdown passes and nine interceptions in eight career AFC Championship games. But he's never had a healthy Rob Gronkowski to throw to in any of those games. The tight end/monster is a headache that no one can really stop.

How the Colts contain him will be the big key here; they have a pair of outstanding corners in Vontae Davis and Greg Toler. Will either of them slide between the numbers to take away Gronkowski and smurf-like receivers Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola? In their man-based schemes, the Colts typically line up a safety against a tight end; the Pats exposed this in the second half of the Week 11 game.

Another option is Quarters coverage. The Colts have regularly gone to the hybrid scheme with zone and man principles over the years. That would minimize any damage Gronkowski can do down the seam, where he is most lethal.

The Colts play in a bad division and constantly get chastised for it, yet they've faced a far tougher set of opposing offenses. Ten of their 18 games have been against top-15 offenses in the league. New England has faced just five such foes.

A month into the season, New England was 2-2 and the national critics were out in full force - Brady was too old; Belichick had lost touch. Then Patriots won their next seven games, and 10 of their next 12.

This is a fourth consecutive AFC Championship appearance for the Pats, though New England has been beaten by double-digits in each of the last two seasons. In nine of the last 14 seasons New England has been to this level, setting the bar for consistent success in this century that's been matched by no one.

But the Colts went to Denver and thrashed a team that had dominated them earlier this year. Who's to say that can't happen again Sunday evening?

Luck is a spectacular 19-4 in games decided by seven or fewer points. Since Luck arrived in 2012, the Colts are 12-0 in same-season rematch games; this includes a 3-0 record in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the last eight New England playoff losses have all come in same-season rematch games. They are 10-0 against "new" playoff opponents since 2001, but only 9-8 in regular season rematches.

Going even further, they are just 4-8 since 2005 in same-season rematches, with the wins coming against Eric Mangini's Jets, Philip Rivers playing on a torn ACL, Tim Tebow's Denver Broncos and a Houston team that was going the wrong way down the stretch. The Pats have also lost their last two AFC title games, at home to Baltimore and on the road in Denver.

New England hasn't covered in any of its last three games, and the Pats are just 3-7 in their last 10 home games and 3-11 against the number in their last 14 playoff games. The Colts might not win this game, but all of these points will come in handy in case they don't.

The prediction is an Indianapolis victory outright, by a 27-23 count. The recommendation is a play on Indianapolis +7 (minus 115 or better), medium to big, 2.5 units. I will add onto this play if it goes up to 7 flat or better.

carolina - that's walters betting on GB team total and my buddy that runs the football there loves UNDER as well. I am sure he moved it down based on that information.

Cash - I give them a chance. It's why I'm not betting on the moneyline (that, and there is no value in dog on ML in these kinds of games)... I just think Indianapolis will win, for all the reasons I listed above.

Ivey is on seattle for sure and he doesn't care about the price. he's been running hot. But there is good opposition; otherwise the line would be 10.

Other game good 2 way as of now... early sharp money was all Indy.

I'm waiting for the public and/or someone else sharp to bet NE up so I can get better price on Indy.I haven't actually bet much on them yet but i can get the number that i posted (+7 -115) whenever I want to. I want 7 flat or better.

Ivey is on seattle for sure and he doesn't care about the price. he's been running hot. But there is good opposition; otherwise the line would be 10.

Other game good 2 way as of now... early sharp money was all Indy.

I'm waiting for the public and/or someone else sharp to bet NE up so I can get better price on Indy.I haven't actually bet much on them yet but i can get the number that i posted (+7 -115) whenever I want to. I want 7 flat or better.

Thx:shake:

carolina - that's walters betting on GB team total and my buddy that runs the football there loves UNDER as well. I am sure he moved it down based on that information.

Cash - I give them a chance. It's why I'm not betting on the moneyline (that, and there is no value in dog on ML in these kinds of games)... I just think Indianapolis will win, for all the reasons I listed above.

All good....I didn't read your full play..
gl..

yeah i saw that earlier, i had both landing 27-23.

One game the home team gets to 23 because they get repeatedly stymied in the red zone and are forced kicking field goals.

In the other one, the home team either goes for two or misses an extra point.

Which one, I cannot say. I'm a smart guy, not that smart...

:shake:

Rex - I dug a bit deeper on the games Indy & NE have played against top 15 offenses. I counted 11 total games for Indy & six total for NE (multiple games vs opponent included). Indys last two games have helped them tremendously in their average points against versus said top 15 offenses. Granted they were against a Cin team who can't get out of their own way in the playoffs & a Denver team who beat themselves.

Indy's record 6-5
Avg Pts for 27.1
Avg Pts against 25.7
Diff +1.4

NE Record 4-2
Avg Pts for 33.8
Avg Pts against 23.5
Diff +10.3

One may also note two of the most (arguably) horseshit teams in the NFL in WSH & NYG were amongst the Indy victims. I think CTG could put a team together to score on WSH.

I am a Pats homer but I'll be the first to call out what I foresee to be a close game or Pats loss. I was nervous as hell last weekend. This weekend not so much.

Enjoy the games.

I am a Pats homer but I'll be the first to call out what I foresee to be a close game or Pats loss. I was nervous as hell last weekend. This weekend not so much.

In my experience in situations like this, when I am so nervous abt a gm, I came to realize why was I nervous....
When I had NO DOUBT about the gm, that's when it turned out the worst..
instead of being nervous pre week, the nervousness set in in the 4th..

FYI I am a Colts homer. GL Zeke.

Thanks for the write ups Rexy.
I feel that it's not gonna matter how we try to defend Gronk.... He is gonna be open on PA crosses, curls and outs.
I believe our gameplan will be to stop the run which we should do a better job at , but I fear the midgets & the Monster.

Thanks man, appreciate you taking the time to respond back, great stuff in your thread as always.

Back