Rexy's Week 1 Niffel...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Hi all, hoping for another profitable season in this shit, so GL to us all.

First, a word about the Niffel.

All the way until this morning, I had ONE BET this week on this shit, and it was the team who drafted first in April.

That shows you the level of confidence I have in trying to beat these markets. And I've worked harder than 99 percent of you on it - many dozens of hours of off-season research. So proceed with caution if you're trying to do this to win serious money. I would recommend you try beating the WNBA or weaker markets elsewhere if you want to make a good living in this business - and NOT the Niffel. Hell, you saw what happened to make the game land on the number Thursday night. Who can handicap that? It happens more and more every year.

The schedule-maker knew what he was doing when he sat down and made 14 of the 16 matchups involving all teams where the line is less than six points (the Thurs and Sun night games being the exceptions).

The Bucs finished 2-14 in Lovie Smith's first season, but sprinkled in there was a lot of bad luck and close losses. The Bucs had a Pythag win of 4.4 and performed at or around league average DVOA six times in 2014. Simply put, because of a league-average defense that should progress nicely in Year 2 of Smith's systems, Tampa is not a two-win team on paper this fall.

Tampa's defense won't be the issue, especially not today, facing a rookie quarterback and a woeful offense at home. The offense is where progress is needed. They were a good bit worse than everyone else last season, and penalties (yards and amount committed) were worst in the league by a great deal. Football Outsiders is bearish on the Bucs, but I'll quote a paragraph that they said explaining why I am bullish and think they can compete to win the unusually weak NFC South.

'Last August, first-year offensive coordinatorJeff Tedford had to leave the team in the preseason forhealth reasons, leaving Marcus Arroyo (the offensive coordinatorat 1-11 Southern Miss in 2013) to assume Tedford’sposition. This year, the much more experienced Dirk Koetterbrings almost certain improvement just by virtue of not repeatingthe 2014 patch-job. Since 2010, Koetter’s offenses inJacksonville and Atlanta committed about seven fewer penaltiesthan the league average each year'

Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans should run roughshod over a Titans secondary that is average at best. Bringing in Dick LeBeau to help Ray Horton run the defense likely suspends the rebuild on that side of the ball for another season.

While each defensive coach has worked together going back to their Pittsburgh days, they run 3-4 defenses that are wildly differing. LeBeau's 3-4 places is a 2-gap one, relying on the OLB's for a pass rush in much the same way the old Titans 4-3 D-ends did. Horton's 3-4 had notable 1-gap elements and was not too dissimilar to the Gregg Williams 2013's 4-3. This transition will make it even harder for the Titans to enjoy sustained success on defense, particularly early in the season.

The Bucs have tried to surround Winston with usable pieces, as they've spent 12 draft choices on offense in the last two seasons. Running back Doug Martin returns healthy for the first time since his electric rookie season in 2013. Tennessee had the second-worst rush defense in the league last fall.

On the other side, Smith scoured the market for plug-and-play types for his Cover-2. On that side, the Bucs have two elite-level talents, both of which are much better than anyone Tennessee will have on defense (David and McCoy).

Bottom line, the line is just a field goal and the market is telling you that these teams are about the same on paper. I'm not buying it. I forsee the Titans to sink to the bottom of the barrel in the AFC South and think Tampa will flirt with .500. The run toward mediocrity starts today.

Prediction: Tampa Bay 27, Tennessee 16
The play: Tampa -3 medium

I honestly have no other plays and nothing that I really like much. Indy at -1 or better seems right; they always find a way to win close games (even if they don't cover, which they're not being asked to do one without the other today) and give the analytics guys and sharpies the big middle finger in the process. I like Buffalo to win the East, however, and the Bills can have success with high-ceiling QB Taylor picking on a secondary with just 4 DB's active and no Mathis.

Lean Packers as well, and Miami. Other than that, all home dogs have more appeal to me than anyone laying on the road. Denver is cheap and i would consider laying 4 but with the unknowns in the new system it's a tough one. Like Arizona a bit but Walters seems on the Saints, so I'll steer clear. Like Jags some but i think that's Billy's side also and the number is ruined. Jets number a tad high but I'm not interested in betting on McCown. I do like Houston pretty good and swapped it with a friend at +102, and am helping another guy book another guy who is betting high. He bet KC so I'll need Houston as my other sweat just to win. I'm okay with that; the Texans would be the only other team I would consider betting today.

GL!

:shake:

agree with you...I have pretty much stopped betting the NFL with anything serious. No more half a house note bet

a hundo here or there bro, that's it.....its just too hard

2H Washington +4.5 small to medium. Dolphin defense looks feckless to this point; not sure if the Skins ever punted. They are playing with confidence and now get the chance to adjust on defense after Miami had its first successful drive of the game.

If I were the owner then Jay Gruden would be fired before he got to his postgame press conference.

It's amazing how many common sense clock situations these guys can figure out how to fuck up.

At 2:22 after the 3rd and 7 play they should have had another play called immediately. Worst case, you throw incomplete but still three timeouts and the 2-minute warning. Instead, you call timeout (with the clock stopped), allow the defense to dial up a blitz and throw incomplete.

Then after Miami ran a play and lost a jillion yards on first down, they don't call their timeout at the 2:16 mark or so and let it run down to the 2 minute warning. I mean it's only common sense that you try to call your timeouts on defense as far north as 2:00 as possible. They could have given Miami 30 seconds and not 2 minutes to come up with that playcall (a good one) to get the first down on the next play.

Done properly, they could have forced a punt on 4th down at the 2-minute warning and held one timeout for the last drive. Amazingly bad that was.

That said, I could not have been more wrong about either play. Sure hope the Bucs show up.

If I were the owner then Jay Gruden would be fired before he got to his postgame press conference.

It's amazing how many common sense clock situations these guys can figure out how to fuck up.

At 2:22 after the 3rd and 7 play they should have had another play called immediately. Worst case, you throw incomplete but still three timeouts and the 2-minute warning. Instead, you call timeout (with the clock stopped), allow the defense to dial up a blitz and throw incomplete.

Then after Miami ran a play and lost a jillion yards on first down, they don't call their timeout at the 2:16 mark or so and let it run down to the 2 minute warning. I mean it's only common sense that you try to call your timeouts on defense as far north as 2:00 as possible. They could have given Miami 30 seconds and not 2 minutes to come up with that playcall (a good one) to get the first down on the next play.

Done properly, they could have forced a punt on 4th down at the 2-minute warning and held one timeout for the last drive. Amazingly bad that was.

That said, I could not have been more wrong about either play. Sure hope the Bucs show up.

Totally agree Rex. Skins are a circus of a franchise and One way or the other will find a way to screw the pooch. Kirk is a turnover machine and Gruden has no clue what he's doin. Doesn't help that Snyder is the worst either and won't be able to attract a viable HC. That franchise is a dumpster fire until Snyder moves on. Whenever that may be.

As a Skins fan been dealing with this BS since he took over the franchise. Feels like forever since they've been relevant and doesn't look like it's gonna happen again in my lifetime.

Bookmaker/Bet Cris (Oddball numbers off the 5/10/15/20 increments in the line history)
Moneylines
Green Bay -289 (cover)
KC -119 (cover) )
Pats -301 (push)
Den -209 (Cover)
Jets -183( cover)
Mia -206 (cover)
Sea -181 (loss)
Ariz -137 (cover)
TB -144 (loss)
Cinn -158 (cover)

Scored 19 first half on minimal possessions. Being in the same division, they will now both adjust on offense. No more 9 or 10 minute drives for either team. Could be a pick-6 or fumber-6. That would only help. Without it, I still think I am a big favorite. I have two of the sharpest people I chart on OVER 49.5, 50, 51 for the game. They lose, but I like going in with them. I missed their price but I get even better at half. Watching 30 minutes, I can forsee adjustments both ways that would make the punters obsolete.

This win would get me back to level on a bad day, and if it loses, i'll figure out how to lose on a weekend where i prepare more than everyone (cfb/niffel). Not a chase, a true like in a spot that I've seen a thousand times before...

-8.5 seems like a lot to me too but I'm sitting on NYG tt o23 and I'm comfortable riding with that.

Horseshit y'all. Another wrong side winner. Sick of getting this football wrong.

To handicap this bad and get even in this, and in the college to be up anything... it's all wrong.

I will re-evaluate everything. Tomorrow and Tuesday I will work very hard to adjust some stuff and figure it out. Sigh.

Definitely needed Giants outright to kill some teasers, so the end result was a chop when you work from both sides of the counter.

Hard to handicap the absurdity of the Giants either not calling a run or Eli mindlessly throwing a ball away when the clock needs to keep running.

Wonder if youre getting too old for this CKR

No disrespect intended at all, still consider you on internet legend fwiw

Last edited:
I must say the Niffel to me, is the way to go as a Gambler ..

You cap a winner first then work backwards towards the line.. this makes sense to me . I use many algos plus sdql etc..

College ugh !! I cant stand it ... you are capping a spread of between (3 -40 ) WTF and these are kids ...

I know lines are weaker in cf because of the amount of games but i have never been able to find them

I will re-evaluate everything. Tomorrow and Tuesday I will work very hard to adjust some stuff and figure it out
No need to do that Rex. There's nothing to figure out. Typical for first few weeks in the NFL, which is why in the past I never even started posting till 3rd or 4th week. Why on earth I post now is beyond me but at least I don't go large with my NFL bets this early. Just keep doing what you do.:cheers3:

Back