Rexy's Week 1 Niffel...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Sup fellas. Ready for another exciting season of the Niffel, let's hope it's profitable for us all once again.

One play in the opener. I like Green Bay +6. Here's why:

The Packers return most key components from last year's playoff team, including the best player in the league who happened to miss half the season. With a healthy Aaron Rodgers, the sky is the limit for Green Bay, who got cheated at Seattle two years ago thanks to incompetent officiating. Obviously, Seattle comes into the season as one of the best teams in the league, but hardly anyone could argue with Green Bay being in the discussion of best teams in a tier behind Seattle and Denver, bundled with San Francisco, Philly, New England and New Orleans. The Seahawks have to overcome another rule change instituted to hurt the defense, and we saw in the preseason that the league seems intent on penalizing teams for illegal contact downfield. The yardage be damned, the first-and-10 every time it happens is going to be real tough for defenses to overcome against competent QB play, of which GB obviously has. Rodgers also gets back his best weapon, WR Randall Cobb, who also missed some time last year due to injury, and Jordy Nelson is a dangerous threat every time he catches the ball in space. Admittedly, I'm a bit concerned with a rookie 5th-round draft choice as the starting center.

Seattle also have to overcome the Super Bowl curse. Nary a team has repeated since the Pats early in the century, and even then that was because they were convicted cheaters. The Super Bowl hangover has been real, and it has affected many teams, most recently Baltimore last year. Seattle will need to be at its best just to win this game, let alone to cover a touchdown. Sure, the 12th man could become a factor, but the Packers are no strangers to hostile environments. The young Green Bay defense had its issues last year but injuries were the prime culprit for most failures on that side of the ball, as well. AJ Hawk and Clay Matthews are now healthy, and Julius Peppers comes to bolster things at OLB and create room for Matthews to wreck people. Ha-Ha Clinton Dix comes in to play corner and should help to shore things up in the secondary. The Green Bay safeties went all of 2013 without recording a single interception, an unbelievable stat given how often teams in the league throw today. It can't possibly be worse back there.

Prediction: Green Bay 27, Seattle 23
The play: Packers +6 medium to big. Try a little +230 or better ML on for size as well...

As of now, I have no other plays in the Niffel this week. Dallas was a lean but I wanted six and they took that out last month. Minnesota was a lean, but that was with a higher line and Bradford playing. Nothing now. Jacksonville is a lean but I'd have to get 13 to go. With how crazy the CRIS guys were with their college last week, it's not out of the question to see one pop on gameday if their program spits out an Eagle recommendation. Lean Carolina; at +3 it might be a small bet.

GL this week!

:shake:

Good stuff Rex, look forward to another season.

But, you're better than this...:cool:

Nary a team has repeated since the Pats early in the century, and even then that was because they were convicted cheaters.

Yessir. The new league focus on illegal contact has to be considered the anti Seahawks rule basically after they manhandled their way through the league last year. It's going to be really tough for this team to change the way they play to accommodate that rule.

GL this season Rex.

One thing regarding the "Sea Hawk Rule"

could be wrong but thought I saw somewhere that the Seabags have been flagged ZERO times in the backfield....anyone?

I lean Pack as well but I don't really jump into fading Seattle at home with much confidence.

gyno, it's total guesswork. The CRIS guys hide their line, and will show their hand maybe 90 mins before the game if not less since it's a stand-alone game. One thing's for sure, the painted 5.5's you see now will not be there 30 mins to post. These sumbitches are going to drive the game through 6 or down to 4 or 4.5 --- i think it has to go down and/or billy is on the dog, hence, the +6 is the play. I'll go for more if it goes up; I'm quite confident in my projection here.

Not sure how much you guys pay attention to this, but the linemaker at Bovada just said this:

"I'm a Packers fan but the Seahawks might be even better this year. About 80% of the money is on the Seahawks spread at the moment."

gyno, it's total guesswork. The CRIS guys hide their line, and will show their hand maybe 90 mins before the game if not less since it's a stand-alone game. One thing's for sure, the painted 5.5's you see now will not be there 30 mins to post. These sumbitches are going to drive the game through 6 or down to 4 or 4.5 --- i think it has to go down and/or billy is on the dog, hence, the +6 is the play. I'll go for more if it goes up; I'm quite confident in my projection here.

WELL DONE

Back