Rexy's Thursday Bowls...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
​I'll have thoughts on the other games tomorrow when I get time.

The two national semifinals (how great is it to say that about college football in addition to college basketball?) are on New Year's Day. The first semi is the third-seed Florida State Seminoles going back to the Rose Bowl to play against
second-seed Oregon. The Seminoles won the (final) BCS Championship at this Pasadena venue early in the 2014 calendar year.

These Noles have now won 29 games in a row, and like in 2014, they were unbeaten in the 2013 calendar year. Unlike in 2013, however, this team struggled in almost every which way possible, especially for a team that somehow emerged unbeaten despite the numerous land mines.

Getting into the off-season and in-season issues with FSU quarterback Jameis Winston is extraneous at this point. You'd have to be living under a rock to not know what he and his team have been through. The redshirt sophomore has never lost, however, despite stats that pale to his 2013 Heisman Trophy-winning numbers.

Winston will face a defense that just tore through Arizona in the Pac 12 Championship, with the Ducks avenging their only regular season loss in the process. That said, All-American corner Ifo Ekpre-Olomu hurt his knee in mid-December and his absence will change things in the Duck secondary. He was a Thorpe Award finalist (top 3 cover corners in the country), and senior Troy Hill will slide into the top cover role, presumably against FSU stud wideout Rashad Greene.

The senior had 93 (!) catches in the 2014 season and has always been Winston's top option. Stud tight end Nick O'Leary figures to benefit here if the Ducks try to take away Greene. While the Noles are short on offensive guys with standout numbers in contrast to 2013, Winston was playing with a variety of ailments during the season. His ankle was in constant pain from Halloween until the ACC Title win over Georgia Tech, and he should be healthy enough to make plays in this game.

Sure, Oregon scored 45 ppg and outclassed every opponent at least once this season, but the Seminoles have plenty of speed and strength (when would they ever not?) to stay on the same field with the Duck offensive skill players. Many teams had success against the 'Noles this season by controlling the ball and clock and keeping Winston on the sideline. By contrast, Oregon does everything with tempo and speed; they won't be trying to hold the ball. The Ducks have the ball for just more than 27 minutes per game, numbers that are well below Georgia Tech, Boston College, Louisville and Clemson. Those are all squads that took the Seminoles to the brink by playing their preferred styles, having the ball more than half the game.

Oregon began its winning streak at this venue against UCLA, covering in each of its last eight wins as well after the regular season loss to Arizona. There is little doubt that Heisman trophy winner Marcus Mariota was a worthy recipient. He will cause some problems for the Seminoles with his athleticism and decision-making. He rarely throws an interception and should be in the same discussion for first quarterback off the board in this spring's NFL Draft.

Special teams should favor the Seminoles. Kicker Roberto Aguayo is an NFL-ready stud now, having never missed an extra point and going 46-for-49 on field goals. Should it come down to that, FSU will be in position to win it, as they did under late Winston-led drives all season.

If nothing else, a blueprint has been provided to Oregon SHOULD it get behind. The Ducks have only trailed one time after three quarters and have yet to fall behind by more than 10 at any point. In 2013, Florida State won every game by double digits and was a DD-fave against Auburn in the title game before falling behind 21-3.

Yet in contrast to last season, the 2014 Seminoles have been tied or trailing going into the fourth quarter five times. Three times they've been down by at least two touchdowns, and won SEVEN games by six points or less in racking up a 3-10 ATS record through 13 games. Florida State would be 51-1 in its last 52 games if they were a nine-point underdog in every game like the Seminoles will be in the Rose Bowl.

No team has been better in bowls in recent history. The Noles are 6-0 in their last six bowl games, and have covered in nine of their last 10.

The last three paragraphs make for all of the intangibles you'd need to handicap this one. It makes for an easy recommendation: Take Florida State plus the points, and I've already put in a moneyline play on Florida State as well.

Call it a big play for 3.5 ish units all when done; value lies for 2.5 ish or more plus the points, as the math dictates that the money always comes for the dog ML in these games and the favorite minus the points (math guys are all over FSU plus the points and Oregon ML for the pot scooper etc).

Good night and GL; I'll try to spit out a paragraph or two out from the other games but I have zero plays at this point other than Florida State.

:shake:

I got a big chunk at 9.5 few weeks ago...still deciding myself...good stuff and Happy New Year.

SEC vs. Big 10 a couple of times today in the JV games. Wiskydicks play Auburn in the Tampa Bowl. The Dicks were as ready as anyone for the calendar to turn. HC Andersen left for Oregon State after the Ohio State debacle; perhaps Alvarez should have just hired himself. He seems to be awfully tough to work for when two coaches leave in 24 months for lateral-type moves. Wisky RB Gordon wasn't healthy against Ohio State, and the Badgers semi-abandoned their game plan after falling way behind. Perhaps the game today will be closer throughout and with Gordon healthy, they could have some serious success denting the shitbag Auburn defense (1180 rushing yards allowed in last six SEC games). Auburn 4-7 ATS against I-A teams this year, a far cry from last year's luckbox. The danger lies in if Auburn gets up a few scores early, crowds the box and dares a physically limited QB (or the backup) to beat them making plays downfield. I'm not sure either are capable.

These two teams gave up 59 and 55 points in their last two games, respectively. Only one way I'll try to play it.

The play: Wiskydicks OVER 64.5 medium 2u

The JerryBowl is the one game I look forward to watching in the JV round this afternoon. Will Kendall Briles calling the plays adversely affect Baylor's offense (he's never had to think 2-3 plays ahead before, and he's only 32 and never been in this kind of spot before). Will Baylor's disappointment in being the only conference champion being left out of the playoffs affect their effort? (and did it affect their prep? respecting Slick Art as i do, i think the answer is that it won't matter).

It will surely be fun to watch parts of all the other bowl games going on and the national title game, but you can make a strong case that the most anticipated matchup this season is the Baylor offense against the Michigan State defense. Can the Spartans slow down a quality foe this time? Sparty has fell flat on their faces in the two other games against quality offenses, although it should be said MSU dominated roughly half of the game during Oregon in the middle, getting mauled at the start and finish.

On the other side, the Bears yielded 58 to TCU, 41 at West Virginia in defeat and 46 (!) to Texas, which couldn't even move the sticks much against Arkansas last week, in this same venue.

I honestly have no clue how this one will play out and will be watching closely for live and halftime purposes to see if I can get out ahead of anything that is starting to develop.

shit, blew through that when looking at the stats earlier, i remembered thinking someone else torched them at JerryWorld, it was Texas Tech not Texas, good catch...

Hardly an excuse for that, either. Tech never scored 46 points the entire season until that game.

This Auburn game is crashing. Going to 6 now and might hit 5.5 or lower. Sharp $ against Auburn more than pro-Wisky. I guess looking back I could have considered taking 7 and laying 5.5 but I don't like rooting for either team. I don't like Auburn period, and I don't like Alvarez hijacking the Badgers again. I did make the game much cheaper but that might be an indictment of Auburn; I probably didn't punish (re: overreact like most others did to) the Dicks for their no-show in Indianapolis. Who knows...

When handicapping the last of the triumverante of JV games today, one thing stood out: the linesmakers (myself included) were going to make anyone interested in betting in Mizzou against Minnesota pay the "SEC Tax". I made it 6.5, Betonline opened 6 and so did the Wynn. The M Hotel opened 5.5 and it's been bet down to 4.5, which tells me that the astute bettors aren't buying it. I can hardly blame them.

Mizzou's stats are almost not worth looking at. They took advantage of six Florida turnovers to pad their season numbers in TO margin, in addition to beating up on the dregs of the East (Sakerlina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vandy), which is hardly comparable to the gauntlet that SEC West teams faced when playing in their division. Meanwhile, the Tigers gave up 130 or more to running backs for Indiana (yes, in a home loss to a Big 10 lower division team), Georgia and Alabama. Not good when having to face a Goofer offense that's run-heavy and has a wily QB who won't beat you with his arm, but can make plenty of plays with his legs (that bullshit started last year when he rammed it up my ass when I had San Jose State for my nuts up there, still ain't forgiven him for it).

I certainly respect what Gary Pinkel has done in his many years as a D-I coach; he had Toledo ranked back in 1998 at one point so there's little doubt he could win with marginal talent even then. But he's probably up against it here when you talk X's and O's. Jerry Kill first got my attention when coaching at Southern Illinois is 2007. He took over the next season at Northern Illinois after the program had faltered at the end of the Joe Novak regime and immediately turned the Huskies into the class of the MAC in just three short years there. The Huskies went to three straight bowls in his time there, though he didn't coach in 2010 Boise Bowl after leaving for Minneapolis the day after the MAC title game. Two coaches and three MAC titles (and a BCS bowl) have followed in the last four years in DeKalb.

Meanwhile, Kill battled health issues through his first season in Minneapolis, and in 2012, he got them to a bowl game. In 2013, health issues again plagued Kill and the Goofers suffered on the field. Thankfully, he's yet to suffer any seizures this fall and winter on the field, and it's likely helped his team stay focused. The guy is a winner, although his 0-4 bowl record leaves something to be desired. He'll be itching to fix that today.

Neither team is particularly impressive, and with the game possibly closing as low as 4, there could be value in Mizzou. But I can't have anything to do with the Tigers; too many ugly efforts, in win and defeat, for me. I do think it'll be fairly low scoring.

Thanks for the write-ups. I agree with Wisco over and FSU. Good luck.

Any thoughts on FSU/Oregon total? It sounds like you'd lean over.

whoops, Walters and his guys are going UNDER in the Tampa Bowl. Looks like I might see 63 soon. Would have to consider going OVER again.

I would only have OVER in that game, and if I am reading the screen right, billy's betting the OVER there so i wouldn't wait if you can go OVER 71. That's probably the best you'll be able to do.

I think Mizzou will win easy over Minny.

One point I would make is that Baylor scored against a bunch of teams without defenses. I expect them to go down today.

BOL on all your plays.

I think Mizzou will win easy over Minny.

One point I would make is that Baylor scored against a bunch of teams without defenses. I expect them to go down today.

BOL on all your plays.

Some might argue that TCU has a defense:

[TABLE="class: season_results, width: 636"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]TCU[/TD]
[TD]W 61-58[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Baylor total gonna fly. Walters out taking out everything less than 70 OVER. I guess we know what game might be the most exciting today ifyou like offenses.

funny i said that, right at post his guys came in and bet UNDER, as you can see by the close. It was weird; i have the sharpest of his guys who never phony games on both sides of it, so who knows.

I added Missouri -3 flat small for 1 unit.

A principality play, based on my line and against the movement.

GL...

no real thoughts in 2H of Wisky; would take them +3 but billy took out the 1.5 and now it's 1/2 and 1 so forget it. Total I lean OVER but no reason to throw good money after bad.

The second national semifinal (again, how great it is to type that when talking about college football) takes place Thursday night at the Mercedes Benz Superdome. The Sugar Bowl hosts top-ranked Alabama against No. 4 Ohio State. Each team lost once this season; the Crimson Tide have been planted in the playoff picture for several weeks. The Buckeyes swamped Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game with a first-time starting quarterback. Evidently the folks who rank the CFB Playoff were impressed enough to have the Buckeyes jump Big XII co-champs TCU and Baylor to the coveted No. 4 spot.

The Buckeyes ran through Heisman Trophy candidate Braxton Miller (preseason injury) and J.T. Barrett (injured in the season finale vs. Michigan) at quarterback to put the onus on redshirt sophomore Cardele Jones to get the job done in Indianapolis. He came through with aplomb, completing 12-of-17 for 257 yards.

Jones is 22 years old (actually older than Cleveland Browns QB Johnny Manziel, who just finished his rookie NFL season) and committed to Ohio State under previous head coach Jim Tressel. He first spent a semester at Fork Union Military Academy, supposedly to mature. It didn't work.

While Jones redshirted his first year, he made headlines when he tweeted his frustration with a grade he'd received ("we ain't come to play school", and "classes are pointless.") While he says he's learned from his mistake, ultimately his play on the field will help people remember him for a "dumbass" tweet (his own words) or for being yet another Ohio State quarterback to have success under Urban Meyer.

That part makes this game as difficult to handicap as anything else. If the Buckeyes can continue to extend the field, then their chances to win go way up. While Alabama's Amari Cooper was the first receiver since Larry Fitzgerald (2003) to get invited to the Heisman Trophy ceremony, OSU's Devin Smith had a dizzying 26.6 yards per catch, with 11 scores in his 30 catches. This could be bad news for an Alabama defense that was dinged by big plays all year. It must be noted that Ohio State runs a run-based, up-tempo spread, and Auburn has had much success against the Crimson Tide defense the last two seasons with a similar offense.

Will Ohio State be able to score in red zone and move the ball in other short-yardage opportunities? Auburn could not do that in Tuscaloosa, and that ultimately cost the Tigers the game. That is the key to handicapping both the side and the total here, because Alabama should be able to march up and down the field against the permissive Buckeye defense, which is stepping up in class in a major way and hasn't seen a competent passing attack since Michigan State two months ago.

Alabama coach Nick Saban drew headlines after last season when he hired controversial coach Lane Kiffin to be his offensive coordinator. So far, it's come up aces for the Tide. Quarterback Blake Sims has completed 65 percent of his passes and wide receiver Amari Cooper recorded an eye-popping 115 receptions and 14 touchdowns. Kiffin has done an exceptional job of getting Cooper lined up in places where he will find holes in the defense, and then exploiting them.

Simply put, this is the best and most balanced Alabama offense ever. The Tide scored 37.1 ppg and had 32 rushing touchdowns and 30 passing scores. Alabama can rotate in two NFL-type running backs, and there is no dearth of talent up front, either. Ohio State's strength on defense lies with LB Joshua Perry (113 tackles) and DE Joey Bosa (13.5 sacks), but there isn't enough around talent and depth around those two for Ohio State to overcome Alabama's ability to push them around and then air it out.

Ultimately, the offensive explosiveness for both sides is the one thing that tilts an opinion here. Alabama scored 55 in their last regular season game and 21 in the fourth quarter of the SEC Championship game. Explosive plays are available moreso now with Kiffin calling the shots than in the past. Ohio State scored 42 or more points in nine of their last 10 games. Auburn put up 44 against the Crimson Tide and run a similar offense to the Buckeyes. Extra prep time could help Meyer implement some of Auburn’s ideas on offense. You can count on a different offensive gameplan for Jones to counter the preparations Saban has made.

Ohio State could win the game, but the talent gap is probably too big to overcome. Saban with extra prep is extra lethal in his time with Bama (three BCS titles in the last five seasons). The safer play is OVER.

For you trend lovers, OVER is 21-6 in the last 27 Ohio State games, while OVER is also 7-1 in the last eight Alabama bowl games. Look for each team to get comfortably into the 30's. With a total below 60, the recommendation is on OVER, and I'll try OVER 58.5 for 2.5 units.

GL!

2H Baylor -1.5 medium to big 2.5u

get ball first, seem to be moving it up and down the field, and nothing i've seen this year shows me that Mich State can keep up for 30 more minutes

Hey Rex. When you get aminute can you re-release Brent Musberger.

Always appreciate your insight!

jpfeck, not sure what you are alluding to. If you mean the Musberger Drinking Game, then just do a search and that thread will be bumped many times in the last few years...

my price for booking Oregon 1.5/37
i still think Florida State wins game.... i could never bet UNDER; there might not be a punt.... the sharp will bet UN and suckers OV for sure...

2H Florida State +3 medium 2u

I like OVER also but refuse to bet it for the reason I posted above. I personally think the suckers will be standing at the window waiting to cash those 2H tickets about halfway through the 4Q when it's 39-36

I changed my mind after looking at the box...

1H ... 93 plays... 48-45 by Oregon... 3.1 ppmin, one every 19.4 seconds... and stayed UNDER

Think of all the wasted red zone chances as well.... no chance of game staying UN, let alone 2H.... i betting OVER 38.5 even money (would advocate OV 38 flat also) medium 2u.

I agree Rex. I am on game under but didn't like what I saw so took the over and am hoping for a slight chance at a 4 point middle

The second national semifinal (again, how great it is to type that when talking about college football) takes place Thursday night at the Mercedes Benz Superdome. The Sugar Bowl hosts top-ranked Alabama against No. 4 Ohio State. Each team lost once this season; the Crimson Tide have been planted in the playoff picture for several weeks. The Buckeyes swamped Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game with a first-time starting quarterback. Evidently the folks who rank the CFB Playoff were impressed enough to have the Buckeyes jump Big XII co-champs TCU and Baylor to the coveted No. 4 spot.

The Buckeyes ran through Heisman Trophy candidate Braxton Miller (preseason injury) and J.T. Barrett (injured in the season finale vs. Michigan) at quarterback to put the onus on redshirt sophomore Cardele Jones to get the job done in Indianapolis. He came through with aplomb, completing 12-of-17 for 257 yards.

Jones is 22 years old (actually older than Cleveland Browns QB Johnny Manziel, who just finished his rookie NFL season) and committed to Ohio State under previous head coach Jim Tressel. He first spent a semester at Fork Union Military Academy, supposedly to mature. It didn't work.

While Jones redshirted his first year, he made headlines when he tweeted his frustration with a grade he'd received ("we ain't come to play school", and "classes are pointless.") While he says he's learned from his mistake, ultimately his play on the field will help people remember him for a "dumbass" tweet (his own words) or for being yet another Ohio State quarterback to have success under Urban Meyer.

That part makes this game as difficult to handicap as anything else. If the Buckeyes can continue to extend the field, then their chances to win go way up. While Alabama's Amari Cooper was the first receiver since Larry Fitzgerald (2003) to get invited to the Heisman Trophy ceremony, OSU's Devin Smith had a dizzying 26.6 yards per catch, with 11 scores in his 30 catches. This could be bad news for an Alabama defense that was dinged by big plays all year. It must be noted that Ohio State runs a run-based, up-tempo spread, and Auburn has had much success against the Crimson Tide defense the last two seasons with a similar offense.

Will Ohio State be able to score in red zone and move the ball in other short-yardage opportunities? Auburn could not do that in Tuscaloosa, and that ultimately cost the Tigers the game. That is the key to handicapping both the side and the total here, because Alabama should be able to march up and down the field against the permissive Buckeye defense, which is stepping up in class in a major way and hasn't seen a competent passing attack since Michigan State two months ago.

Alabama coach Nick Saban drew headlines after last season when he hired controversial coach Lane Kiffin to be his offensive coordinator. So far, it's come up aces for the Tide. Quarterback Blake Sims has completed 65 percent of his passes and wide receiver Amari Cooper recorded an eye-popping 115 receptions and 14 touchdowns. Kiffin has done an exceptional job of getting Cooper lined up in places where he will find holes in the defense, and then exploiting them.

Simply put, this is the best and most balanced Alabama offense ever. The Tide scored 37.1 ppg and had 32 rushing touchdowns and 30 passing scores. Alabama can rotate in two NFL-type running backs, and there is no dearth of talent up front, either. Ohio State's strength on defense lies with LB Joshua Perry (113 tackles) and DE Joey Bosa (13.5 sacks), but there isn't enough around talent and depth around those two for Ohio State to overcome Alabama's ability to push them around and then air it out.

Ultimately, the offensive explosiveness for both sides is the one thing that tilts an opinion here. Alabama scored 55 in their last regular season game and 21 in the fourth quarter of the SEC Championship game. Explosive plays are available moreso now with Kiffin calling the shots than in the past. Ohio State scored 42 or more points in nine of their last 10 games. Auburn put up 44 against the Crimson Tide and run a similar offense to the Buckeyes. Extra prep time could help Meyer implement some of Auburn’s ideas on offense. You can count on a different offensive gameplan for Jones to counter the preparations Saban has made.

Ohio State could win the game, but the talent gap is probably too big to overcome. Saban with extra prep is extra lethal in his time with Bama (three BCS titles in the last five seasons). The safer play is OVER.

For you trend lovers, OVER is 21-6 in the last 27 Ohio State games, while OVER is also 7-1 in the last eight Alabama bowl games. Look for each team to get comfortably into the 30's. With a total below 60, the recommendation is on OVER, and I'll try OVER 58.5 for 2.5 units.

GL!

osu defense stinks plain and simple. i dont see any way bama doesnt become a man and hit 40 tonight. Only question is if osu can get to 20. I like ur over. Like bama a lot better. Good luck man. Appreciate your posts

: the 2H will be higher scoring than this one
me 0 opin side, as i said in writeup, game could go either way because of this shit
my line Alabama 4 and 34
expecting the side close to that and total closer to 31 and i will blast OVER again at that level

Thanks CKR..Over looking good, I also took both TTs Over based on your writeup..let's go 2H Over

if jones can at least keep them honest with the pass, u win and likely tosu v duck national title game. oh no :hang::prayer

i would only have Bama. Look at his 2H's in these games ....

that said, other guy is pretty fuckin good too.

I rooting for it to stay close.

Oregon will be the favorite regardless of what happens at this point.

If Bama wins they will get all the public money. Worst part, I think Oregon stinks. The turnovers made the game earlier a mirage. The numbers all would have favored Oregon regardless (yes, even against Bama) but this just exacerbates it. If Bama wins a sweatbox, the lines will be some stupid shit like Oregon 3.5 or 4 with a retarded scalp ML of like -145/+125 or -155/+125...

:cheers3:... Won't make a half time bet, will wait for a live line in the 2nd, hopefully tOSU score on their first drive

i can root that kingconn; i am only rooting points, no matter who scores them.

Well, I am rooting for Colombian company later also, she's about 5'4 with 36DD's so that is my big sweat.

Wait, did you say Oregon win was a mirage?

Oregon didn't win that game. FSU gave it away. Look at the stats. Oregon only outgained FSU by 100 yards and those yards were gained in last 10 minutes when FSU had already given up.

Oregon leads the country in turnover margin. They put their backup in the middle of the third quarter. Of course fsu gave up. Those boys were asking for oxygen tanks 3 minutes into the third. That's what they do.

Hey Rex....Just want to say thank you for yesterday....despite fsu i had a really good day and really appreciate and lov your stuff

Your great Oregon D gave up 500 yards of offense in 3 qtrs; FSU only had about 30 yards in the 4th. Keep laughing

It's tough to cap ineptitude. I don't believe the final score properly told the whole story in this one. Fumbles and dropped passes absolutely crushed FSU's chances in this one. Had they played a mistake free game, there is no doubt the outcome would have been different....and once you make a mistake against a team like Oregon they waste no time at all capitalizing and then if the mistakes pile up the game just gets out of hand. Well capped though Rex...throughout. Many thanks for the insight. I wouldn't mind hearing your take on today's games as well. I am currently on Iowa and I am considering k state and ok state. Need a push to pull a trigger or back out. Cheers.

Back