Report: Doug Collins to be Bulls head coach

H.R. Pufnstuf

Pretty much a regular
Doug Collins will be named the Bulls new head coach "sooner rather than later", according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Collins had been maintaining a strict "no interest" stance, but apparently his friendship with GM John Paxson and team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, along with the Bulls winning the draft lottery, has changed his mind. Collins coached the Bulls from 1986-1989 and has a career coaching record of 332-287.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/977280,collins052908.article

its on the top news of espn, how true could this be? man, pax has said all this time that he would take time to find the best coach possible... word also was he has more candidates to talk to in the predraft camp and would talk to casey n corbin again and now he has named a coach? what is all w/ these reports? anyway

news came out he (pax) was impressed w/ rambis of the lakeshow

news came out that avery is close to be named

now doug collins who didnt show interest to coach again is now coach?

common now, espn espn espn, if this is true then so be it, collins is an above average coach, a lil bit a skiles like, better? i dunno

though i really would like to see a not so top named coach and a players' coach like rambis, shaw, corbin, thibo or curry.. a non top notch coach would be a lil less pressure and a lil less expectations... if its collins, then collins it is

ummm... Interesting I guess is the best way to describe it. You could have had Avery Johnson, D'Antoni, Carlisle. Collins is by far the worst out of al them. They just hired a mediocre coach that will be there for no more than 3 or 4 years.

wow they really 'looked' hard for a worthy candidate.

can't wait to see how badly he screws up having the #1 pick too!

Even worse, Chad Ford (hands down the worst NBA analyst in the history of NBA analysts) likes the move:

Ryan, Chicago: Doug Collins in Chicago, is this a good fit?

sn2.gif
Chad Ford: (1:04 PM ET ) I think so. He is one of the best teachers in the game. He's very passionate. He has a ton of experience and he's a big name in Chicago. He also has John Paxson's trust. After getting killed for messing up the Mike D'Antoni hire, I think this was the Bulls next best option. Collins will only be able to handle the stress for a couple of years if history plays out. But that gives the Bulls time to have him possibly groom a young successor.

doug collins is one of the smartest if not they smartest nba mind on tv. he's great at picking out things going on in the game that are currently taking place that he's noticed and seeing momentum swings. however, he's no longer gonna be calling the games but coaching.

i was too damn young to remember a damn thing about him as a coach.

gonna have to go read up on his past coaching history.:popcorn:

wow they really 'looked' hard for a worthy candidate.

Man, is that ever the truth.

Collins is a decent analyst, so was Fratello, but seriously, there's a reason they aren't coaching.

i like the move alot and i know him my bulls as well as collins. he is the right type of coach for the personnel we have. he is extremely knowledgable about the game and he is a nice guy. anybody who thinks d'antoni would be better is 100% wrong. that guy is the biggest piece of shit selfish bitch. he may be a good coach with a great offensive gameplan, but that is the complete opposite of what the bulls have stood for. bulls are about defense and the players would not have listened to d'antoni's brash personality and strict regiment. i think highly of about 80-90% of the coaches in the NBA but mike d'antoni is definately not one of them. that guy is the biggest sleaze ball and i applaud the bulls for not going after him, they saw right through that f*ggot. sorry for the rant but i had to tell someone.

doug collins is one of the smartest if not they smartest nba mind on tv. he's great at picking out things going on in the game that are currently taking place that he's noticed and seeing momentum swings. however, he's no longer gonna be calling the games but coaching.

You can group Doug in with Carlisle, Skiles etc...

Same types of coaches. Basically, he is perfect to get this team running of the ground. Back in 1996, he really reshaped our Detroit team hat played no defense and was lazy.

He did the same thing with the Bulls back in the late 80's. All of the credit that Phil gets, well, Dougie really shaped that team and Jackson made it a final product.

This will help this team immensely. He is a much better teacher than Skils but will bring back some discipline. He won't be your coach more than 3 years. He will build a foundation.

on another note, does anybody else think these playoffs have been the worst in recent memory? i love the nba more than anyone, but i can't even watch these games.

i wonder if tnt will bring in snapper jones. that guy is right there with collins in nba smarts imo.

He is a much better teacher than Skils but will bring back some discipline. He won't be your coach more than 3 years. He will build a foundation.

I think this is a good assessment. If you look at the places Phil Jackson has coached, he doesn't build teams. He's sort of like Bill Parcells. If you have a team that can't get over the hump, that has talent, you bring that guy in and he gets you to the dance. Now, in the case of Jackson he's had some of the best players to ever play the sport, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, so that's gotten him some rings, but every where he's gone someone built a foundation for him to succeed from.

Jackson got MJ to trust a bunch of nobodies and two enormous egos to play together (for a while).

Jackson got MJ to trust a bunch of nobodies and two enormous egos to play together (for a while).

What egos?

There was one ego...MJ

Don't say Scottie, because he was just a marginal all-star player for the first few years that Jackson was there then really blossomed. Dou had him for his first two years in he league.

Read the book "Jordan Rules" by Sam Smith. MJ still didn't trust no one in their first championship run. It hated the triangle. He didn't trust Phil or the Triangle.

I member back in 1989, Doug made MJ the PG for the last few months of the season. Fucker averaged a triple double. It was sick.

the two enormous egos were shaq and kobe.

the first part of that statement you quoted was in reference to michael and the later was la.

Scottie wasn't a nobody. Now, Jordan made him a LOT better than he was, but he could do a lot of things pretty well.

Then, of course, he ended up with an ego that his skills couldn't back up.

Brewer if your cool with him as a coach so am I. BTW just about done with my resume.

I'm a fan of any team D-Rose is on.

Scottie wasn't a nobody. Now, Jordan made him a LOT better than he was, but he could do a lot of things pretty well.

Then, of course, he ended up with an ego that his skills couldn't back up.

No way Scottie Pippen had any star status before that title run began.

how about someone named horace grant from clemson? now that guy was a stud coming out of a big time college, too.

agree 100%....glad someone else noticed this....also hubbie brown is at the top as well. that guy eats,sleeps,breathes ball

No way Scottie Pippen had any star status before that title run began.

Few players other than superstars have star status until they win a ring, who the hell is Derek Fisher? Who's Manu Ginobli?

And the last thing I want to do is get into a defense of Scottie Pippen, because I hated those Bulls teams then, I hate them now, and I still think Pippen was overrated and soft.

That said, the guy was an absolute perfect compliment to Jordan. He was that number two option you had to have because before Scottie, in the last five minutes of the game, the Bulls would give the ball to Jordan and he'd have to go one on five. Because nobody could hit a shot, nobody would even take a shot. Sometimes Jordan could still get it done, but once Pippen got there, because of his size and his shooting ability, it made that triangle viable because it had another leg to stand on.

Will do the same thing Skiles did when he stepped in. He'll rebuild the Bulls and get them back into the playoffs either next year or the year after. He's just what the doctor ordered for the Bulls IMO.

i wonder if tnt will bring in snapper jones. that guy is right there with collins in nba smarts imo.

Good call, Snapper is the shit, NBA on NBC, and did our Portland broadcasts for awhile. He deserves to be on tnt big time, definitely one of the most knowledgable people out there. It's unfortunate he's rotting away on the Sonics broadcasts. We want Snapper.

Back