Report: Billy Donovan to coach Orlando Magic

H.R. Pufnstuf

Pretty much a regular
Billy Donovan is expected to become the next coach of the Orlando Magic after he was presented with a substantial contract offer, officials with the team told the Orlando Sentinel.

Donovan, 42, is coming off back-to-back NCAA titles with Florida and was in negotiations for a contract extension at Florida when the offer from the Magic arrived. Donovan will replace Brian Hill, who was fired last week after back-to-back losing seasons. Florida had been planning on announcing Donovan's extension next week, but that's obviously no longer the plan.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-magic0107june01,0,2210050.story?track=rss

How I feel on this depends on him. If he's always wanted to be an NBA guy, good for him.

If he's just jumping for the money, I disagree with it. He could have really established a legacy at Florida. I mean a long one, ten years or more if he wanted. But maybe that's not interesting to him.

win win for him.... he stays at Florida and really can do no wrong after the last 2 years.

he goes to the magic and he is looking at a young good team in the east= playoffs for next coupld years.

I envy the guy, and really no one will fault him either way he goes.

Billy Donovan has accepted a guaranteed five-year, $28.5 million offer to become the Magic's head coach, Adrian Wojnarowski reports. The deal includes a one-year option that could make it worth close to $36 million.

I believe the Gators contract was going to be 7 years for about $24.5 million.

Last edited:
College to NBA from the coaching standpoint is traditionally a bust....

Tarkanian
Montgomery
Kruger
etc

Thats why guys like Izzo and Coah K may flirt but understand the legacies they have built at their current universitys outweighs money being a flop in the pros

College to NBA from the coaching standpoint is traditionally a bust....

Tarkanian
Montgomery
Kruger
etc

Thats why guys like Izzo and Coah K may flirt but understand the legacies they have built at their current universitys outweighs money being a flop in the pros

....Dick Vitale...........

:36_11_6:

Wonder what he does with Orlando's draft pick this year????I almost have to assume he grabs one or two of his boys

ya thats the one. hes at some school who plays zaga in college game. dunno which one.

Westhead coached the the Loyala Marymount College teams with Bo Kible and the late Hank Gathers that would put up 100-150 points a game in college..

he brought that system to the NBA....it led to some fun games but he didn;t have the expolisve players other than Chris Jackson(know known as Mahmoud Abdul Rauf)

bad move Billy...u owned Gator ball and to jump now when u could have owned SEC ball for years to come?!?!?! (true he would have to rebuild again but recruits would be running towards Gainesville)

Kentucky fans rejoicing

It smacks as being all about money.

I think he really could have owned the SEC, but I think that ego got in there.

The East is down, though, and he does have Howard, maybe he can get something done there.

As an aside, the Westhead Nuggets were awesome, 150-165 point games on a regular basis. It was great, too bad I wasn't betting at the time.

First off, I applaud him for leaving, and grabbing the cash. He is still really young, and him and his family will be able to enjoy all this cash while they are still young. And that is amazing.

I think Orlando is the best fit out of all the teams who had vacancies. He remains in Florida. He has a franchise center. And he has a lot of room to wiggle the roster and bring in guys HE wants right away. And that is important. Too many times a new coach has to coach players he doesn't even want. Then he ends up losing 3 years in a row with this team, and then he is done. Donovan can transform this roster this year.

Back