Reno Week #2...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
12-5-1 +7.74 units

No complaints from week one whatsoever. I easily could have played several more bets but the plan for this early season is paying off -- so far --

Not my final card whatsoever but figured I would post some early thoughts to hopefully generate some discussion!

Excellent Thursday night game in South Florida coming up. My initial lean is to an over. I am not a huge fan of either defense and can see some big plays in this game, I'll wait out injuries here and definitely be capping the prop market...

Ravens will be on most teaser and parlay tickets around the world this week. The Raiders offense is scary and the Ravens definitely do not want to start the season 0-2. I'll likely have this involved somewhere -- perhaps cross sport with NCAA...

Manball is alive and well in Los Angeles. That was a perfect first game for JH to establish his culture and start this season off right. This team isn't a threat yet, probably 2 years now away, but they will win a few games they shouldn't just due to the staff. This line though is bit high for my liking. I understand the opponent, but I am not ready to be laying nearly a TD on the road with these Chargers just yet!

Nice win by the Cowboys --- defense and ST's did the heavy lifting. The Saints went buck-wild as well. I think here we see a bit more offense from Dallas and obviously less from NOLA. The Cowboys should win, but I am mostly interested here on receiving a fair read on the Saints for future capping...

Tough break for Jordan Love and the Pack. Luckily that wasn't season ending. I know Malik Willis is below average, but this line feels like a bit too much of an overreaction. Then again, that GB defense was less than stellar in Brazil. Interesting game here, I do feel like that total is low. Tough call with Willis though. We'll listen to practice reports first before making any decisions...

The Browns and Jags both are facing 0-2. The Jags played pretty well for a lot of that game, from what I saw till Miami took it late. The Browns have a bad QB. Period. Sad times for them. The defense is expected to be solid -- and honestly they were fine vs Dallas overall. No leans here at all...

Niners will be a popular parlay and tease partner with the Ravens. Don't forget about last years MNF game in Minny. Many of us took a bath on that game. Niners should win here, but weird feeling this iss a 3-4 point game. Maybe that is just my dinner though providing the feelings...

Seattle heads into New England looking for a 2-0 start. The Patriots winning Sunday honestly wasn't a surprise with the Bengals issues. They played old style football and let the other team make mistakes. I honestly won' bet this game but gun to the head I'd bet New England with the 3' points.

Giants and Commanders meet in DC. New York put up 6 points last week. Washington gave up plenty to the Bucs. Can NY move the ball a bit vs this Commanders team? Dunno. I honestly have this spread more like 3/3.5. Play on Washington here.

Bengals and Chiefs renew their rivalry in KC. I said before last week that this Chiefs offense will be the best they have had in year. Our guy Capaholic agrees and says they haven't had this since 2018. Worthy pick already paying dividends. They need to get Pacheco more involved early though -- and that will free up Rice and Worthy even more. I can't judge their championship defense just yet. Lamar did some special things while Zay Likely just couldn't be handled. The Bengals starting slow again -- injuries not helping. I'll be honest, I figured this line to be more like 8. I'll have KC in a bet most likely at some point. I am high on Cincy this year -- we just aren't there quite yet.

Titans with the collapse of the week last time around. The Jets will be able to run more offense this week merely due to the law of averages. I'm sure the defense will look much better vs an anemic Tennessee offense. I would rather see this number at -2 or so to warrant any Jets action. My involvement? The prop market.

The Rams played very well on both sides last week. With the injuries, I cannot give enough credit. The Detroit OL simply took over in overtime. Arizona with a great half at Buffalo but then the wheels fell off. Rams starting the season with 2 road games is not ideal. Very big game here -- feels like a nailbiter to be honest. As an aside, Detroit goes to Glendale next week to face Arizona.

Steelers head to the Mile High laying a strong FG. Denver had offensive issues in the Seattle game. This will be a learning process with Nix at the helm. Really nice win by the Steelers to open the season. This is another game I feel will be tight till the 4th. There isn't too much for me to ponder here betting-wise...

Fun SNF game in Houston. Nice start last week for the Texans. I didn't expect Mixon to be featured that much but what a job he did. Big addition if he can stay healthy and help complement all those receivers. The Bears struggled mightily. That was simply a luckbox win. The 95 yards passing was not pretty. I'll be interested to see how this week goes for Caleb... I don't have a true pulse on the Bears defense. I know they are supposed to be solid but last week doesn't help us out -- playing Levis. Home game at night, the atmosphere should be great. Still capping this one...

Monday night takes us to Philly.... The Falcons with a stinker to start the year. Cousins didn't look good. Now, a primetime game for him. Interesting line here, I would put this at 8/8.5. I am not suddenly down on the Falcons, I just see this as a short number...Likely to be involved here...

Last but not least, Tampa Bay and Detroit in a playoff rematch...

Lions struggled on offense at times on SNF. I was glad they pounded that rock in overtime. Last year they would get away from the run in 2nd halves after great first halves No reason to -- use that great OL to your advantage.

Jamo was spectacular. I'm so happy for he kid -- he deserves this. His speed is great and he is not dropping balls. This is just another added dimension.

I expect Gibbs to be more involved early on in the passing game.

Sun God with a tough first game. Ben will look to get him some early touches Sunday to get the confidence going. Ill be stalking his props.

Tampa with a nice start. Baker was excellent. Now, we get to see what the revamped secondary can do for the Lions. That playoff game showed some warts. The kids will learn on the job quickly this week.

Washington ML -125

Tough start -- he'll get better -- but these are some of the issues I mentioned going from P12 to NFL.

I'm curious how much they'll let him run.

Great thoughts. I can't figure out an angle on Browns-Jags either. Very concerned by Jags pass protection. Don't like losing the top cornerback. But also don't want to back awful quarterback with backup running back. I need to tell more people this, but I keep hoping that the problem will go away: bet on the Jags with caution; they will frustrate you so brutally with dropped passes and simple execution errors. We all saw it in that playoff game against the Chiefs; it's a constant thing and makes capping especially hard. "Under" I suppose would seem to be the go-to play, but low-40's seems right to me.

Anyways, lots of great thoughts on the different games. You'll find ones worth investing in.

Nice week 1 @B.A.R. 👍

I was not around last weekend, but I'll be here this week and will certainly take a look at some of your plays.
g'luck
:cheers3:

GL agree with most thoughts here but I think the jets clobber the titans.

Super square teaser of ravens/eagles/ Oregon looks good to me

No shutout tonight.

We really need Miami to score here. That helps to keep Buffalo passing a bit. Cook and Dalton haven't had a target since the 1st drive.

Asking for a split there.

"12-5-1 +7.74 units"

As Mr. Burns would say, "Excellent"
Congrats.

Some thoughts and comments on your thoughts and comments re: this week's card:

"Excellent Thursday night game coming up, my initial lean is to an over."

NOOOO. DONT DO IT!
(Clearly thIs is not one of those situations where the old adage "Better late than never" applies.)

NO/Dal: "Nice win by the Cowboys, the Saints went buck-wild as well. I think here we see a bit more offense from Dallas."

I'm leaning Over on this one but don't remember why. My early week notes have it circled as a buy on the Over but I left off the stat/system/gut feel/whatever the hell my reason is. Incomplete notes sort of defeat the purpose of making notes in the first place. Hate when that happens.

Pit/Den: "Steelers head to the Mile High laying a strong FG."

I took the FG here, and on this one I remember why. It's what you said, "Really nice win by the Steelers to open the season."
That game cost me my first loss of the season, I bought it early in the preseason expecting Wilson to get the start.
So my reason for this buy is REVENGE!
It's true, revenge is NOT a reason to make a bet.
Revenge is NOT a club in the handicapper’s bag.
Revenge is NOT a tool on the handicapper’s belt.
When you lose a game, treat it like the receiver who dropped his last pass or the pitcher who just gave up a home run – forget about it, clear your mind, and move on.
Do not let a past loss influence your next bet.
BUT . . . my roots are in Sicily.
We LIVE for revenge.
(Well, revenge and pasta. And a fine red wine. And Parmigiano Reggiano. And Prosciutto di Parma. But mainly revenge.)
(All kidding aside, I have a 'capping method that this one qualfies for, it was 9-4 LY, 1-0 this season. One game fits the parameters this week - Den. I'm on it.)

LAC/Car: "This line though is bit high for my liking. I understand the opponent, but I am not ready to be laying nearly a TD on the road with these Chargers just yet!"

True. And yet, I'll very likely lay the points anyway. It qualifies as a situational play I have that has done well in the WNBA and the first weeks of college football.
Will it work in the NFL, too? Hell if I know, it's the first year I've tried it. But that's what 'capping is – a never ending, on-going process of trying to find a formula that works. Forty-nine out of fifty will be worthless, but when you hit on that one that works it makes all the time and effort spent treasure hunting worth it.
I guess I'm about to find out if Carolina is as bad as they looked last week.

Chi/Hou: "I'll be interested to see how this week goes for Caleb."

He's the rookie I'm most interested in watching this year. I get the Chicago brain trust's thinking - baby steps, bring him along slowly, but If he's going to have success he's going to have to do a whole hell of a lot better than a 3.3 yd avg and a longest pass completion of 13 yds.
Should be a good game to watch, not sure yet which way I'm going for action.

"Giants and Commanders meet in DC."

Well, I mean why are we even wasting our time and words on the rest of the games?
Clearly THIS is the game of the week, MUST-SEE TV, and nothing else matters.
(For those who lack the sarcasm gene, yes, that was an example of it.)
Even if I had money on it I couldn't watch this one. Life's too short.

My plays:
LAC (wait to buy as the # is dropping; I'll post the # I end up getting in my NFL season long thread)
Den +3 (I jumped on the +3 when it was the common #. There are still a few available but right now most houses have it at +2', but with a little extra juice on the Fav. If anyone likes Den wait to buy them, it may go back to +3; if not, pay a few cents extra to get it; I'll add juice to my # if +3 doesn't show again since I didn't post it earlier when +3 was the WAN.)

Good luck with your play this Sunday.

Last edited:
"12-5-1 +7.74 units"

Congrats.

NOOOO. DONT DO IT!
(Clearly thIs is not one of those situations where the old adage "Better late than never" applies.)

NO/Dal: "Nice win by the Cowboys, the Saints went buck-wild as well. I think here we see a bit more offense from Dallas."

I'm leaning Over on this one but don't remember why. My early week notes have it circled as a buy on the Over but I left off the stat/system/gut feel/whatever the hell my reason is. Incomplete notes sort of defeat the purpose of making notes in the first place. Hate when that happens.

I took the FG here, and on this one I remember why. It's what you said, "Really nice win by the Steelers to open the season."
That game cost me my first loss of the season, I bought it early in the preseason expecting Wilson to get the start.
When you lose a game, treat it like the receiver who dropped his last pass or the pitcher who just gave up a home run – forget about it, clear your mind, and move on.
We LIVE for revenge.
(Well, revenge and pasta. And a fine red wine. And Parmigiano Reggiano. And Prosciutto di Parma. But mainly revenge.)
(All kidding aside, I have a 'capping method that this one qualfies for, it was 9-4 LY, 1-0 this season. One game fits the parameters this week - Den. I'm on it.)

LAC/Car: "This line though is bit high for my liking. I understand the opponent, but I am not ready to be laying nearly a TD on the road with these Chargers just yet!"

True. And yet, I'll very likely lay the points anyway. It qualifies as a situational play I have that has done well in the WNBA and the first weeks of college football.
Will it work in the NFL, too? Hell if I know, it's the first year I've tried it. But that's what 'capping is – a never ending, on-going process of trying to find a formula that works. Forty-nine out of fifty will be worthless, but when you hit on that one that works it makes all the time and effort spent treasure hunting worth it.

He's the rookie I'm most interested in watching this year. I get the Chicago brain trust's thinking - baby steps, bring him along slowly, but If he's going to have success he's going to have to do a whole hell of a lot better than a 3.3 yd avg and a longest pass completion of 13 yds.

Well, I mean why are we even wasting our time and words on the rest of the games?

My plays:
LAC (wait to buy as the # is dropping; I'll post the # I end up getting in my NFL season long thread)
Den +3 (I jumped on the +3 when it was the common #. There are still a few available but right now most houses have it at +2', but with a little extra juice on the Fav. If anyone likes Den wait to buy them, it may go back to +3; if not, pay a few cents extra to get it; I'll add juice to my # if +3 doesn't show again since I didn't post it earlier when +3 was the WAN.)

Man, I totally missed this till just now. I'll add some comments in a bit.

Jayden Reed o30.5 receive yards -120 1.5 units

Reed can do so many things. Now, with a lesser QB at the helm I think he becomes even more important with short, quick passes (plus his reverses).

Short number here, I get it, but I think he puts up 50+.

"12-5-1 +7.74 units"

Congrats.

NOOOO. DONT DO IT!

We LIVE for revenge.

My plays:

To your last point, we should see Pitt money on Sunday. They are still a public team.

I'd like to hear more about the situational capping of the Chargers (whether tomorrow or just in retrospect). I'm a situational kind at heart.

Saints and Cowboys over -- biggest question here is what's the actuality of NOLA offense. We know last week was an abberation. The next few weeks should help us find their mean.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Mixon o72.5 -122 1.5 units
Diggs o50.5 -112
Houston 1h TT o13.5
1.25 units

More to come as the game goes.

My numbers aren't great on the props. Mixon is a board play, tailing @2daBank
on my guy Diggs.

Weird day. First two bets hit easily. Should have stopped there. Oh well. Was able to get some back 2h in KC luckily. Not much, but some seed money..

Hopefully split these props somehow.

Mixon one big run and stuffed since.

Diggs hopefully with 2 more catches should cash.

Then with lead maybe grab Mix late.

2h TT Houston o10.5 -130 1.5 units

Back