Reeses' Pieces (Official NY Football Giants Thread)

BlitzBandit

Friend of CTG
Not as many Giant fans around here, but I guess I'm in the mood to talk to myself a little bit if need be.. hehe... or at least let out some thoughts..

anyway..

I really feel Jerry Reese (Giants General Manager) has been brilliant since he took over the duties for this team. It's almost amazing how the Giants are looking right now setting up for draft day...

They have already signed LB Michael Boley and DT Rocky Bernard. They currently have Chris Canty in town...

now even though most people probably think Canty is more than likely out of the picture or won't be taken as seriously anymore now that Bernard has been signed, I feel the opposite... I think Reese really tries to get this guy.

Most are probably thinking that because they already threw out 16 mil for 4 yrs to Bernard... and that because Canty will want something like 7 mil per year.. that it won't happen...

here's the thing I'm thinking...

Reese was actually fighting for Albert Haynesworth when the Redskins took him for 100 mil for 7 years. Now I know Reese doesn't like to overpay for players, but it had to be a decent number he threw out to try to get him. Not close to the Redskin range, but whatever he threw out to get him could probably be focused on getting two defensive lineman instead of just one. If Reese threw out something like a 36-40 mil type offer for 4 years or so on Haynesworth, than he could still use that on Bernard (who signed for 16 mil 4 yrs) and the rest (20-24 mil 4 yrs) can still be used on Canty.

Not really sure he will do it, but if Reese really wants him, he will get him.

This year, the Giants are sitting pretty right now with free agency, cap room, and the draft.

We have upgraded the Defense at the linebacker and line positions and have at least 11 draft picks this year that Reese could do whatever he wants with...

looking forward to what he is up to next... the guy is brilliant.

You know what's funny, I was just going to break this out into its own thread.

Now, as you can imagine, I am NOT a Giants fan in any way. But what the Giants have done to their defense in the last week is extremely impressive. Assuming they can get all these pieces to play together, they have a very, very imposing defense.

Had they had this defense last year I think I can safely say that they may have come that much closer to actually beating the Browns in Cleveland.

Great offseason for them so far.

Look, Blitz, you can always hope. Personally I don't see it, but I've been wrong before.

=)

I'm delusional (of course), but I think what the Giants are doing really pushes the Eagles to go harder after Boldin and/or others now.

The Giants have improved. The Redskins have improved. Even if the Eagles hadn't lost people they would be behind the curve, but they have lost people, serious talent, so if they intend to continue to compete, they have the money, they have the draft picks, it's time to put the foot on the pedal.

Let's not forget Osi is coming back this year...

With Canty and Bernard inside, Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi (whichever is in on any given play) won't be fighting double teams much anymore like they were doing last year. It would be much harder for an opposing offense to pick out one of these 4-5 guys to double with success.

Robbins, Alford, and Cofield will all be in the mix as well.. this front line is looking pretty deadly...

late last season we had Kiwi, Tuck (double teamed), Robbins, and Cofield playing almost every down and ended up producing hardly any pass rush... things should be much different with these additions.

I'm delusional (of course), but I think what the Giants are doing really pushes the Eagles to go harder after Boldin and/or others now.

I was kinda hoping with all the additions we got and with the money we have to spend that maybe we could use one of em' as trade bait to get Boldin or maybe Braylon ( I know you'd like to see him in a Giants uniform)... or hell, I wouldn't even mind someone like Evans since he'd come cheaper...

either way... still hoping Plax comes back as well.. hehe.

It honestly blows me away how teams block the Giants week in and week out if that team's healthy.

Granted, that 12 sack game against the Birds was kind of the ultimate, but it's not like it totally shocked me. Like the Panthers a few years ago, I'm not sure how you can say that the Giants have anything but the best D-line in the league now.

Not only that, usually when you have the ability to spend money at DL or LB, the other positions suffer. In this case, they do not because of Pierce.

Granted, their corners still don't strike fear into me, but for crying out loud when you have to keep 10 guys into block on every passing play I might be able to play corner for that team.

maybe Braylon ( I know you'd like to see him in a Giants uniform)

Yeah, that would make me want to vomit. Although, mostly from a Browns point of view. And you'd want to run him out of town the first time he pulled one of those TO routines where he can't seem to hold onto the football to save his life.

Personally I think you guys would be smarter to spend your money trying to bring back Ward (who more and more looks like he's gone). I think you can draft a big WR or bring back Burress.

Granted, that 12 sack game against the Birds was kind of the ultimate, but it's not like it totally shocked me.

let's not forget the Giants had 0 sacks against your birds in the grudge match.

Not only that, usually when you have the ability to spend money at DL or LB, the other positions suffer. In this case, they do not because of Pierce.

pierce is slow and gets burned deep by TEs'... he has leadership skills, experience, and knowledge of the game... he gets himself in good positions on the field and knows how to get to the ball.. but he gets burned alot and he lacks speed... so much that it almost overshadows his good qualities.

let's not forget the Giants had 0 sacks against your birds in the grudge match.

Well, that's because they were playing against a superior and more motivated opponent. Just wait until they get a load of The Great Wall of Pennsylvania.

=)

Good point on Pierce, but if I'm not mistaken he QBs that defense and leads them very well.

Yeah, that would make me want to vomit. Although, mostly from a Browns point of view. And you'd want to run him out of town the first time he pulled one of those TO routines where he can't seem to hold onto the football to save his life.

Personally I think you guys would be smarter to spend your money trying to bring back Ward (who more and more looks like he's gone). I think you can draft a big WR or bring back Burress.

I like Ward as much as I like Bradshaw... the thing is, with our O-Line, you don't need a stud to produce... and honestly, I'd rather have a pounding Jacobs earning us slow drives with alot of first downs along the way, than the faster, quicker backs that end the drives quickly with a long 60 yard run and put our defense on the field to get tired.

boley.gif

bernard.gif

canty.gif

Right, but I'm not convinced Jacobs gets through the season healthy. That's why I'd want him back were I a fan of Big Blue.

Oddly enough, I think as long as you guys have a safety valve like Boss for Eli and a decent running back, you're good on offense. Certainly not great, but good and you can be the Tennessee Titans of the NFC--which is basically good enough for HFA and that's nothing to sneeze at.

I really think you either try to bring back Plex or draft WR. I don't think you go after one. For f**k's sake, you have Mario Manningham on your bench, turn that guy into something, would ya.

In a totally unrelated story, I like that the Giants are willing to spend money at Getty images for their website. Do they need to spend that money, probably not, but the pictures look really good and they're like 'engh, f**k it, it's only web usage, it's not that much money.'

Oh, I didn't say you 'want' to be the Titans of the NFC, just that you 'can' if you don't get a receiver.

Seriously, I thought Manningham had much potential coming out of Michigan. Why would you want Braylon when he, by all rights, should be better. I hate it when I'm wrong about draft picks (which is all the time). Get it together, Mario.

I hope the Birds make some moves here soon, not just because I'm a fan, but because it's staring to look like the NFC East is going to be 'the' division to watch every week this year. I'd like the Birds to be part of that.

Manningham will come around eventually I'm sure... and I'd rather have Plax than any other receiver anyway... I just figure another star one wouldn't hurt, but then again, sometimes too many is not a good thing...

don't be discouraged by the Birds losing players and not making a big splash yet... sometimes no news is good news... the Giants lost Gibril Wilson and Kawika Mitchell to other teams as well as Strahan to retirement and Osi to injury and did absolutely nothing worth noting in free agency or in the draft last year... that resulted in 12 wins and a division championship...

you know how the NFC Beast Division goes down every year Joe... we go at each other til' we see blood... softening ourselves up for the weaker teams like Cincy and Cleveland were last year.

They promoted their linebackers coach of the last 4 years (Bill Sheridan) like a day or two after Spags was gone...

Sheridan said he will keep Spagnuolo’s system in place but will modify it according to his preferences and the players’ strengths.

“I’m sure, as much as anything, that’s Tom’s motivation for promoting from within, whether it was me or Peter Giunta – to keep the defense in place,” Sheridan said. “It’s obviously a proven, excellent system that Steve brought from Philadelphia. You’re obviously going to have a slightly different tint to it, because you have a different coordinator and will get different input from whoever Tom brings in from outside to complete the staff. But the system is in place and there’s a tremendous comfort level with the players.”

It's not out the question that the Giants do make a play for Edwards, who is considered expendable by new Browns head coach Eric Mangini. But if it happens, it's more likely to involve Giants' draft picks than players.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2009/03/source_giants_will_not_trade_k.html

almost draft time...

funny how last year I was hoping for and wanting Kenny Phillips soo bad for that first pick... he fell to us like clockwork.

this year in the draft, I don't know... the possibilities are endless for us. As long as we don't lose Kiwi, I'm good. Hoping we still fill in with a receiver (like possibly Britt) if we don't get one off trade. We still have that need for someone to stretch the field.

View attachment 29057
View attachment 29058

29 - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

45 - Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia

60 - William Beatty, OT, Connecticut

85 - Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly-SLO

100 - Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin

129 - Andre Brown, RB, N.C. State

151 - Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State

200 - DeAndre Wright, CB, New Mexico

238 - Stoney Woodson, CB, South Carolina

I'm not jumping up for joy, but I'm not complaining either. Nicks was a great pick. The guy may not be as big or as fast as what we wanted/needed to stretch the field, but he is fast enough and can take hits with the best of em'. Love his sticky hands.

Also like Ramses Barden. I was crossing my fingers for him going into day two and we landed him. He's got the height, size, and strength we need. He'll be a good target in the redzone.

Clint Sintim should compete against Danny Ware and Michael Boley and if anything, keep them fresh. Beckum should be able to give Boss a run for his money as well.

Beatty and Brown were both steals. I think Brown has the ability to take over the 'wind' position that Ward left vacant.

Didn't care for the other picks much... specially Bomar. We have enough backup quarterbacks right now. Oh well.. since they are the late picks I don't like, I gotta say it was another good draft for the G-Men.

With Nicks and Barden in the lineup, the Braylon talk is over and the Giants will be moving on. It won't happen, even if Reese does leave the door open for the press.

“We still have our options open so we can see if there is something else that can be done, but we are very happy with the receivers we have.”

I don't think it had to do with the trade offers as much as it did with the price tag he wore. Reese doesn't spend 10 mil on one player. He's not paying that kind of money to Tuck, Osi or Jacobs. And he wasn't paying that to Plax. Not sure what happens when Elis' free next yr.. yikes.

from a Reese interview on the Braylon topic:

“We felt like there was some very good young receivers in this draft and we were not going to overextend ourselves with the veteran wide receivers on other teams,” noted Reese.

“We investigated these players in the draft and we felt like there would be somebody there at 29. We didn’t want to overextend or reach in a trade.”

The Giants front office is as good as they come. They really have their shit together and what Reese has done the last few years in the draft and free agency impresses the hell out of me. He stays disciplined to the goals and the needs. He doesn't overspend. He'll let an Albert Haynesworth go by to get a Canty, Bernard, and Boley for less. He's not afraid to let key players go (Gibril Wilson, Kawika Mitchell, Derrick Ward, Amani Toomer). He'll replace as needed off draft/free agency for less money (Kenny Phillips, Andre Brown, Nicks/Barden, Boley, etc.). They do a great job scouting talent and character players that can get the job done.

I know most giant fans/critics wanted an Edwards/Boldin deal to get done. I think we'll be fine without either. Eli should have plenty to work with when you consider Steve Smith, Hixon, Manningham (hitting his second year), Nicks, and Barden. Moss and Tryree are also still there, but figure one may end up getting cut. Still plenty to work with... specially when you consider the Giants have a power running game.

Sheridan has all but crowned Sintim a starter for this year..

Q: The one guy you got up high in the draft – he is another pass rusher.

A: He is. Clint Sintim. And that is what he will be on third down. We have already talked about it. When we practice third down on Thursdays he will be working with Waufle. Last year we played with one linebacker. We played Michael Johnson as our WILL linebacker in sub. And now we are getting Michael Boley, we plan on using him. He is a three-down backer. That is why we acquired him in free agency. So, yeah, Clint is a pass rusher on third down and he will be a first and second down SAM linebacker. And he can do both well. He is a good kid for us. We were fired up about getting him in the second round.

Back