Reds vs Cardinals Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Rising Star Pitcher the Main Reason for 'Under' Bet Between Cards and Reds

The Cards are fairly heavy chalk despite being on the road. They'll try to win back-to-back games for the second time this season when they play at Cincinnati at 6:40 ET.

St. Louis Cardinals (6-7, 7-6 O/U) at Cincinnati Reds (2-10, 6-6 O/U)

MLB Pick: 'Under' 9

24 year-old Luke Weaver (1-0, 1.59 ERA) makes his 21st career start today and is already drawing heavy chalk on the road. He faced two of the top ten scoring teams and held each to one run. Weaver has also built a strong history of success against the Reds, holding them to two runs in 11 innings pitched against them last season. In both games his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was under 1.50. He got the win in each and struck out a combined 13 batters while walking none. Weaver, already in strong form, is primed to pitch at least as well. This time around, he won't have to deal with Scott Schebler or Eugenio Suarez, both of whom are on the DL. Missing both players is important for the Reds because both are producing an OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) over 1.000 and they are the only two on the team to do so. Despite their production, despite playing in a hitter-friendly park, and despite MVP candidate Joey Votto ending his ugly slump, the Reds rank 28th in runs scored.

Weaver is also a better pitcher than he was last year thanks to the development of his curveball. He's throwing this curve 20% of the time. It features different movement and he throws it at different release points. Weaver can reliably throw his curve for a strike and yet opponents are only hitting .143 off it. So batters now have a third pitch to worry about, in addition to his change, with which he induces the most whiffs but doesn't reach the strike zone often, and fastball. The rising star is more effective and can last longer in games without the opponent growing comfortable with his stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Cards' batters produced an angry 13 runs yesterday after losing a tough series at home to division-rival Milwaukee. Today we should witness an offensive let-down. Dating back to last season, the last six times that St. Louis achieved more than five runs in a game, they produced fewer than five the following game. With their young stud Weaver on the mound, this means that we can expect starter Tyler Mahle (1-1, 4.22 ERA) to limit St. Louis to four runs or fewer so that the 'under' still comfortably hits.

Mahle matches up well against the Cards because he relies heavily on his fastball. He wants to place it on the edge of both sides of the plate, while sometimes accompanying good command with pretty good velocity. He induces a lot of whiffs and is effective with it against lefties and righties. He has a couple secondary pitches-- a slider that he hides well by limiting its vertical movement, places pretty effectively on the edge, and uses to make his fastball more effective and a mediocre changeup that he's still developing-- but his fastball is his main feature. The Cardinals, however, are really struggling to hit the fastball. They rank 28th against this pitch with a .195 team BA against it. Lefties hit Mahle really well. But the Cards only have one lefty hitting above .200 right now, Greg Garcia at .214.

The Reds bullpen is poorly ranked but saved its best relievers while getting owned last night. Amir Garrett has been lights-out in 6.2 innings and is still fresh. The Cards' pen ranks in the better half in terms of ERA.

Its like yeah I had an essay to do until 1 am and was too tired to write this without napping a little first. Today will be a nice afternoon sleep day for me.

Its like there are two kinds of sucker players one for stupid people who fall for an obvious trap another for smart people who think themselves into a cloud of unreality

But ctg has won its consensus plays before im hopeful. Main worry is that last time cards hit 5+ runs in consecutive games was at great american. Mahle doesnt have good stuff by any means. But his lack of quality is already accounted for by the total. But i think it comes down to cards O becoming consistent and i strongly doubt it. And the matchup is so favorable for Mahle. And Weaver should do well i initially thought about doing Reds TT under. Every bet has its worries yeah, just overdwelling on them since i dont like to be in much consensus. Im just glad when God is betting on the same thing I am

LMAO thanks cards baserunning for the help. Incredible. Dexter how fucking stupid are you. Jesus. Amazing. Learn to fucking run the bases two years now you all do this dont you fucking practice this. Basic motherfucking fundamentals you piece of shit

LMAO thanks cards baserunning for the help. Incredible. Dexter how fucking stupid are you. Jesus. Amazing. Learn to fucking run the bases two years now you all do this dont you fucking practice this. Basic motherfucking fundamentals you piece of shit

Fundamentally, this sport’s players have retarded any thought of modern athletes being smarter than their predecessors. I see so much idiotic shit watching a baseball game today that my mind is blown. So many illogical plays in the game today...makes me sick.

Not sure how to substantiate this but I feel like there‘s defo an inverse relationship between primadonna status of pro athletes and attention to basic fundamentals. Something like we‘re the shit who cares about practice (cue allen iverson)

Had a feeling btw that you‘d chime in there lol based on your hatred of bball coaches who dont foul up three final possession

Had a feeling btw that you‘d chime in there lol based on your hatred of bball coaches who dont foul up three final possession

That...baseball players that cannot advance runners to 3rd with no out in late innings or dipshits that think only idiots advance runners via outs...

...and my favorite...fucking stupid football head coaches who kickoff late in games when they’re down less than 4 because they want to “rely on their defense and timeouts” to get the ball back.

This is the king of all stupidity right there. ALWAYS onside kick down 4 or less and late in games. You give yourself 2 chances as opposed to one of winning the game. Recovering the onside and/or giving up a FG and getting the ball back to tie/go to OT as opposed to praying your defense holds up and or you don’t give up a first down.

There is practically any logic in sports nowaday. That’s why when I see it, I commend it. But most dipshits couldn’t tell their a-hole from their elbow and are making these kind of decisions late in sporting events.

Not easy, but a win is a win. Although watching Bud Norris try to secure your one-run under is as nerve-wracking as trusting a blind man to valet park your car. He may get the job done, but there will definitely be a nervous feeling (and some minor damage) until the job is done.

Back