Reds/Padres & Blue Jays/Red Sox Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet This MLB Parlay at (+294) on Wednesday

Cincinnati Reds vs. San Diego Padres
Wednesday, April 20 at 4:10 p.m. ET at Petco Park in San Diego

Ice Cold

Form is evidently important in baseball. It's evident because it explains how long streaks like this one can form: the Reds have not scored more than three runs in a game since April 12.

Since then, they've scored three runs twice. In their last five games, they scored no more than two runs.

Two significant disappointments thus far include Joey Votto and Tommy Pham.

Votto is known for his good eye, but he has 18 strikeouts to five hits.

His BA this season is .119 while he's slugging .143.

As for Pham, his BA is marginally better than Votto's while he's slugging a paltry .353.

MacKenzie Gore

Padre starter MacKenzie Gore is a great candidate to help perpetuate Cincinnati's offensive woes.

Gore is a 23-year-old rookie who made his professional debut last week against Atlanta.

He was solid in that game considering the circumstances. Indeed, many pitchers would be nervous when making their MLB debut.

Perhaps Gore was nervous, but he nevertheless lasted 5.1 innings while allowing two runs.

Command is the first major thing that rookie pitchers usually struggle with.

But Gore was a confident strike-thrower and walked only two batters.

To make it to the big stage, a pitcher needs to have good stuff.

Gore is no exception in this regard: In particular, his slider produces whiffs at a strong rate.

Its horizontal movement and additional combination of depth and tilt make it hard for batters to even make contact with.

But he primarily throws a fastball. It averages 95.6 mph and he distributes it evenly throughout the strike zone.

Today, Gore matches up well against the Reds because Gore is a southpaw and they rank 23rd in slugging .288 against southpaws.

Vladimir Gutierrez

Red starter Vladimir Gutierrez is, similar to his Padre starter, somebody who you may not be too familiar with.

Gutierrez is, like Gore, primarily a fastball-thrower, although his arsenals more developed in that he throws other pitches at a higher rate.

Still, Gutierrez's fastball is decisive since he throws it well over half the time.

So far, he has had to face teams that hit this particular pitch very strongly.

Gutierrez enjoys a strong opportunity today because the Padres rank 27thin slugging against the fastball from righties.

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox
Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Fenway Park in Boston

Jose Berrios

As evident in his high ERA, Blue Jay starter Jose Berrios is struggling for form.

He has a long way to go until he reaches his desired level of command.

Overall, none of his favorite pitches are working well for him.

He throws a fastball, curveball, and sinker with over 25 percent frequency.

Opponents are slugging well over .700 against each of these pitches.

Today, Berrios is in a particularly bad spot because he is 0-3 with a 7.31 ERA in his career in Fenway Park.

This is precisely not the venue in which Berrios wants to pitch in order to reverse his bad form.

In addition to struggling already in general right now, Berrios has to pitch in a venue where he is historically awful.

Nick Pivetta

Boston starter Nick Pivetta's form is also poor as evident in how unsharp he's been.

But the best reason for fading him today is history.

Plenty of Blue Jay batters have proven that they can thrive when facing Pivetta.

Specifically, Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio, and George Springer all slug well over .800 against him in at least seven career at-bats.

Moreover, Vlad Guerrero slugs .571 in 14 career at-bats against Pivetta.

The Verdict

Expect a pitching duel between Padre and Red starters while Boston and Toronto pitchers struggle to contain the opposing starting lineup.

Best Bet: Parlay Reds/Padres Under 8.5 at -112 & Blue Jays/Red Sox Over 9.5 at +108 at +294 odds with BetOnline

good stuff pal. No mention of the pens in San Diego I’m kinda surprised that isn’t a FF play (I have no clue how either those pens been doing?). Not that I think Ff better (I havnt capped either these yet) just woulda liked to read a bit bout pens on full game under since we not seeing many pitchers go very much past 5 innings these days. I’d imagine at some point we see them going a tad deeper but I think we basically to the point where they would be at end a typical spring.

Im not sure wtf going on w berrios? His velo fine, fangraphs shows him replacing his curve w a slider this year, I dunno if it really a different pitch or it just looking different? It getting shelled compared to his curve that always been plus! Lol. He was pretty good thru 4 innings in New York last time out before again losing his command in the 5th. He always been pretty good in March/April so I wonder if it simply a case of the shortened spring bothering him? I didn’t have the energy to go back and look up what his typical springs look like, I’d like to see that he normally struggles in spring while getting himself geared up. Only thing that gives me pause on expecting him to get it figured out sooner than later is that whole curve to slider classification, that kinda confusing as doesn’t make much sense he would make such a drastic change this point in his career. Is it a spin rate issue? On surface looks like command which again I think could be due to shortened spring and some guys just needing more starts to get going, if that the case it gonna come back quick as mentioned we now getting to about where we would be at end typical spring and he always been pretty good in the 1st month.

Back