Red Sox vs Tigers Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Red Sox Won’t Keep Pace With Tigers in Primetime Finale

The Red Sox will try to sweep Detroit at 7 ET on ESPN. The hometown of Eminem enjoys a decisive pitching advantage that gives it underdog value.

Detroit Tigers (29-34) at Boston Red Sox (43-19)

MLB Pick: Detroit 1H

Southpaw Matt Boyd (3-4, 3.23 ERA) shows significant growth in his fourth year, dropping his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) from 4.53 last season to 3.85 this season. In 2015, he used to rely primarily on his fastball, until opponents began slamming it because they could sit on it. In the ensuing years, he focused on reducing his fastball usage and developing higher-quality secondary stuff in order to keep hitters off-balance. This season, he’s throwing his fastball with 22% lower frequency than in 2015 and has discovered a second primary pitch, the slider, which he throws as often as his fastball and twice as often as in any season prior. Despite his increased slider usage, opponents are slugging a career-low .200 against it. His slider velocity has dropped significantly, creating a greater velocity differential between his two primary pitches which throws hitters off-balance. Moreover, he’s reduced his slider's vertical movement so that it’s harder for batters to track.

Boyd matches up well with Boston, which ranks 29th in slugging the fastball and slider from lefties. In the past week they rank 29th in the category and last against lefties overall. Mookie Betts is still on the DL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boston is forced to rely on southpaw Jalen Beeks, (0-0, 0.00 ERA) who will make his MLB debut after initially scheduled starter Drew Pomeranz hit the DL.

According to scouting reports, Beeks is expected to end up in the bullpen because he’s undersized. His delivery isn’t clean, particularly because, when his front foot steps forward, his arm lags behind, so that it carries extra stress in an effort to locate the pitch and discourages a consistent delivery. So he struggles with command and tires and loses velocity throughout a start. Both of these struggles explain his problematic 13.7% ratio of homers to fly balls and his inconsistency from outing to outing. He’s liable to walk a lot of batters or leave pitches over the heart of the plate. Another reason for his inconsistency is his difficulty in developing a decent third pitch. His curveball is considered potentially average. It can occasionally help to keep hitters off-balance, but it’s not a reliable strike or whiff pitch and he’s really struggled when it’s not working for him.

Bettors should always look for underdog value in Detroit against a southpaw. They’re yielding +6.7 units against lefty starters and +7.2 units as underdogs and are facing a southpaw who is pitching tonight rather out of necessity than by Boston’s choice. The Tigers haven’t seen him before, but his stuff isn’t going to surprise them, which is why he struggled in his Double A and Triple A debuts. Beeks needs time to adapt his command and quality of stuff to higher-level expectations and even if he were ready, he faces a tough match-up. Beeks is a strikeout pitcher, but it’s tough to blow pitches past the Tigers, who rank fifth in zone contact percentage and boast the second-lowest strikeout percentage against southpaws. They rank fourth in slugging against lefties both overall and in the past month and against the fastball and cutter — Beeks’ two favorite pitches — thrown by lefties.

Nick Castellanos is red-hot. He's batting .441 in his past seven days and .458 against lefties. Jose Iglesias is slugging .450 in his past seven days and .541 against lefties.

I’ll chalk it up with the 1H RL. If I can find it at -110 or cheaper, I prefer doing that instead of ML, but that’s a matter of personal preference.

Beeks is 3-3 with a 2.56 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and .197 batting average against in 10 starts for Triple-A Pawtucket. He has struck out 80 and walked 14 in 56 1/3 innings.
Boston has outscored Detroit 13-1 in the first two games of the series.
Boyd comes into Thursday's start with a 3-4 record. But entering play Wednesday, he was seventh in the American League in opponents' batting average against (.202) and was ninth in ERA (.301) in his last 15 starts dating back to last season.
He has yielded three earned runs or less in eight of his 11 starts this season and comes into this start 0-1 with a 12.00 ERA in two starts against the Red Sox. This will be his first appearance at Fenway.

One starter who has grown professionally versus another who hasn‘t. Plus match-up advantage. Dog value.

I agree with you here VC as Beeks isn't big league stuff imo and Boyd should give my guys some trouble. We are 7-6 vs lefties this year and only 4.6 rpg.All of our guys that have faced him so far have not hit him albeit small samples. Contrarian here is that the Sox are not making many mistakes these days and are winning most days. Pen is rested so FF probably the best way to go. GL I'll most likely tail..Thank you

I dont think prior games have predictive value they creamed different pitchers with different pitchers on their mound

although im guessing youre shooting on the angle beeks debut will be enough for detroit to take it. maybe over is the best play here ?

although im guessing youre shooting on the angle beeks debut will be enough for detroit to take it. maybe over is the best play here ?

No need to guess my reasoning is above. I dont believe in trends that dont have logical reasoning behind them. Beeks hasnt won a game ever why not let that cancel your trend against Boyd

of course he could its possible. im leaning towards over now, but they got it set at 9.5 which is pretty brutal

No need to guess my reasoning is above. I dont believe in trends that dont have logical reasoning behind them. Beeks hasnt won a game ever why not let that cancel your trend against Boyd
good call . but they will just pull beeks after a few runs if he sucks that bad wont they ? what do you think about the over?

good call . but they will just pull beeks after a few runs if he sucks that bad wont they ? what do you think about the over?

They lack depth in their rotation so they really need him. Pen is fresh tho according to BJ so perhaps?
If you dislike Boyd i‘d think it has a great chance of hitting because you also get more of that Tigers pen, in which case Red Sox would possibly get close to covering over by themselves?

i think if the tigers can lock in a few runs if and before beeks get pulled(if he stinks that bad) they have a good chance of winning it . that should also provide a great chance for the over

going to look over baltimore at toronto, got any thoughts on that one ? i think jays should be due for a win here after getting pummeled by the yankees

going to look over baltimore at toronto, got any thoughts on that one ? i think jays should be due for a win here after getting pummeled by the yankees

Im really not a fan of the due theory. Some teams have strong records in the game after a big loss and others dont. not sure if Jays do but wasn’t last game was a loss in extra innings sonnot pummeled?

Actually the best argument for Detroit is the umpire who is 3-6 for home teams and a reasonablely good argument against Detroit that he has not won a game this season on 4 days rest although he was about average on 4 days rest

Best argument lol.

He pitched a grand smacking total of three games on four days' rest. His FIP was anyhow very solid in two of them.

If you look just a little bit deeply into the metrics you'll see there's no statistical relevance to be derived from his performance on a given number of days of rest. You'll have to look a bit harder to find something meaningful that I haven't already researched.

i really don't like the sox lineup tonight....devers in and slumping, nunez at 2nd and JD in the field so our worst d for sure....holt out and vazquez DHing so weak offensively as well....not sure i can find a good angle on this game but VC's take resonates the best with me

i really don't like the sox lineup tonight....devers in and slumping, nunez at 2nd and JD in the field so our worst d for sure....holt out and vazquez DHing so weak offensively as well....not sure i can find a good angle on this game but VC's take resonates the best with me

Under makes sense with ref and the notion that Boston is waiting for Sales old team

On FF Tigers with you.

Also under whole game.

:thumbsup3::whoohoo2::usausausa:

Back