Red sox daily thoughts

BJPLAYER

Pretty much a regular
Will try to post thoughts when time allows....Sox at 3-3 and could easily be 1-5 or 5-1 so tough to get a handle on them so far other than to bet their team total under because they have not started to hit and have had sickness, injuries and personal leave affect their lineup....their pitching is going to be good, sale has been outstanding, porcello has learned how to pitch and will be consistent and price appears to be getting better by the day without issue although a month or so before we see him in the bigs, pomeraz should be ok if his shoulder holds up and rodriguez has top of the rotation ability if he truly learns how to manage his stuff....bullpen has been very good (.135 baa i think) and if kimbrel can stop putting himself in a hole each time he takes the mound he should be dominant, power arms available most every night for innings 7-9....offense could very well be the biggest problem, papi's bat is irreplacable and the lack of power is troublesome,but they did score a lot last year and hanley may give them enough of a replacement to make it a serviceable offense...we will see...defense is solid as they have the best defensive outfield in baseball with betts,bradley jr and benentendi and very strong up the middle in the infield with bogarts and pedroia albeit a little weak on the corners

todays game....probable pass as bundy was good in his first start and pomeraz was shut down late last year and brought along slowly this spring without enough work to get a handle on him, if he can go 5 and keep it to 2-3 runs then the pen should give the sox a chance to win but the value is with the o's...sox get both bogarts and hanley back today but will be missing bradley jr to a knee issue, benentendi moves to center and either holt or young i expect to be in left.....9.5 seems like a high total to me so i may go under and will consider a sox tt under as well until they prove they can hit....i think they have only scored in 8 of their first 47 innings....good luck

Red Sox are last in the league with 4 team home runs
Sox catching have thrown out the first 6 of 7 would be stealers

been traveling so no time recently....sox a strange 5-5 thus far in the season, power outage slightly troubling but really doesn't come into play at fenway where teams that put up a lot of doubles end up with runs....4-2 home 1-3 road....this team will score runs eventually as illness,injury and cold weather has affected early season consistency...starters have been up and down, starting wright on a humid day was just stupid imho as his floater doesn't float in humid conditions, there will be 1 or 2 more times this season when this occurs and a go against is as solid a bet as there is...sale 1.69 and very solid so far but no run support, i liked the way he shouldered all the responsibility for the last loss when if they had scored a measly 3 runs he would have won....shows character and the guy is insanely competitive....ordizzi was a stud last time out but questionable lifetime against the sox...3-3 in 13 and 1-3 6.08 at fenway....value in tb but just can't see them scoring against sale in his current form...lot of people taking the value and i don't blame them....feel better about the under but total opened at 7.5 and quickly went to 8.5 so buyer beware....like tb tt (U) also if it is 4 or higher (doubtful)....haven't checked yet....good luck to all

at 30,000 feet so a little time to study my boys from boston....jays suck at 2-11 and can't score.....coming off an 11-4 loss to balt and just lost donaldson and sanchez to the DL and howell already on so not sure how they are going to score runs....sox W3 and winning close games with a stellar pen 1.35 and 1.036 (i think) while tor pen horrendous at 6.35 1.353....krimbel unavailable today and sox pen used up....this could very well be a throw away game for the sox with johnson up from aaa and alterante pen arms likely to be used...johnson velocity not what it was 2 years ago but improved,secondary stuff better but.....tor 212 ba al worst and sox .287 al best

so....

reasons to bet sox.....tor currently sucks and they are a big dog

reasons to play tor.....stroman clearly tor best at 1-1 1.76....they have to win sometime....money has moved the open from 155 to 175....

tough game to call on the side but the only way i would go is with the dog money or rl with jays as laying 75 cents with tor right now is lunacy....kinda like the over a little as stroman coming off a complete game and pen liable to give up a few to a relentless sox lineup and tor despite a depleted lineup should get to johnson as i'm not sure he's a big leaguer

sox 9-5 on the season and W4 hitting a league best .294 and 43/126 wrisp while jays L9/10 and hitting .222 but starting to hit a little....porcello gets the bump after getting knocked around last time out when he relied too much on his fastball when his sinker wasn't sinking....liriano coming off a good performance but sporting an era of 9 on the season....neither pitcher has pitched very well vs opponent in their career and even in the cy young year porcello had a 4.50 era against toronto....mookie with a hot start 12/22 last few games and benentendi heating up as well 8 for 14 recently....over looks good again tonight as these two teams have put up 48 hits in the last 2 games and sox lineup starting to click....sox tt over worth a look as well....if i were to pick a side it would be porcello as he is the superior and sox are in good current form....they won the throw away game last night with a triple a pitcher and resting their bullpen arms and pedroia....they will have both kimbrel and kelly available tonight....so over my fav play with a lean toward the sox on the side and their tt over....one other point in the sox favor is a current disparity in pens that is significant...good luck

Interesting game in Baltimore today. Balt starting an aaa pitcher that really doesn't have much of a track record but was good in spring training and has pitched well in the minors thus far this year. On the bump for Boston is Wright who was good last time out but got hit hard in the humidity the time before, I'm sure the Balt hitters will be swinging for the fences after they demolished him the last time they faced him. If his floater is bouncing around they will have a lot of swing and misses and if it's not he's in trouble. The humidity alone will keep me off Boston and I will wait till game time and check the weather and if it's light rain or misting I will be all over balt and their tt over. Pedroia may sit today after getting spiked and when the relievers come in Machado will probably take one in the ribs unless it's a close game and they don't want base runners. Bogaerts should be back but if for some reason both he and Petey sit then I will play Balt regardless of the weather.....good luck

i'm not sure it's a humidity thing, that's what Wakefield preferred along with the wind blowing out. I also expect Pedroia plays

farrell decided on the quick hook with wright yesterday (smart move) and the pen threw 4 2/3 innings of shutout relief causing me to miss the balt tt over by a run but balt won and covered the rl so not to bad....sox are 1 for 16 with men in scoring position over the first two games of the series....gausman got hammered last time out and rodriguez yet to get going this year....two lineups that have been kept in check for the first two games by decent starters and stellar pens....no real opinion on the game as balt is hot and has the best record in the majors but smoke and mirrors in my opinion and sox dogged so maybe a small value play on the sox but smart money would probably pass

Last edited:
Great thread. Baltimores pen is really their biggest strength. There are very good arms in there and even with very avg starters, they will be around for the long haul this year with their offense and bullpen. They may have the beat pen in MLB.

Agree Gausman has been very hittable. Might be Boston avoiding the swesp if they can wake up at the plate. Check Hanley's status. He fouled one off his toes and looked pretty banged up.

sox yanks tomorrow.....servino vs porcello....servino has been ok his first 3 starts with his only clunker on the road and with 9 and 10 strikeouts last two....porcello has been less than stellar and it would not surprise me if somewhere down the road he is the 4 starter on this team....the line is telling as the sox opened at -35 and moved to -15 and has stayed there so obvious value in the dog but both pitchers serviceable with porcello having the better pedigree....panda out for a few days and pedroia and bogearts healing up from minor injuries so the sox offense a little banged up....yanks missing a couple parts as well....both pens are stellar and rested so i will be looking at the under in both games and yanks tt under in the thursday game....good luck

couple more tidbits....servino 27 strikeouts in last 20 innings although sox a patient team as a rule but not recently (farrell saying they need to take more pitches) sanchez out for yanks but judge hitting well,he's the real deal i believe, can't see castro,ellsbury and headley continuing to hit the way they have been and yanks 3-6 on the road and 8-1 at home with a mlb best +30 run differential, servino 0-3 5.71 vs sox career but 20 strikouts in 17 1/3 and porcello 7-5 3.28 career vs yanks....porcello no earned runs last time out over 7 and hard luck loser as sox posted 0 runs

i was tempted to chase the dog in this short series but i can't help but think that yanks are a bit smoke and mirrors....i do not have the numbers but i'm pretty sure if for the last 15 years you played the dog and the reverse run line between these two you would have a pretty good bankroll but i'm just guessing...hoping for an 8 and go under but probably gonna get a 7.5 which will give me pause....good luck

Last edited:
think you're right that NYY is smoke and mirrors, specifically that offense, but if you look at BOS i have serious concerns with Moreland batting cleanup all year.

I know Pedroia's hurt, but even when he returns how scary is this lineup?

Pedroia
Benitendi
Betts
Moreland
Ramirez
Bogaerts
Bradley
Sandoval
Leon/Vazquez

i'd say there are a bunch of comfortable at-bats for pitchers and this team will really miss Ortiz

I hear ya GW....loss of Papi a huge loss and I do not believe Ramirez can fill his shoes...Moreland was signed as a specialty bat and has played a lot due to injuries and illness but has hit pretty well actually....sox have best ba in the majors and best obp in the majors but it has not translated into runs yet....lack of long ball an issue and they haven't hit wrisp but that stuff evens out over time....they will win their share as they are a talented bunch with good pitching and defense....need to sign a big bat

considering how they re-tooled the bullpen completely at the deadline last year, i'm sure they'll get a bat

sox/yanks....sale gets his first taste of the rivalry...1-1 .91 on the year allowing 3 earned in 29 2/3 and 42 k's....4-1 career vs yanks 1.17 and 61 k's in 7 starts so don't bet against him unless you love that dog money....tanaka 5-2 4.05 in 10 starts vs sox but more importantly has thrown very well his last two....if anyone got a chance to watch betances last night they will realize how much of a stud he is....sox couldn't even make contact, his curve when on is unhittable....both pens rested and available and both studly so i expect a low scoring game and I don't think thenyanks will get many and hoping i can get a 3.5 for the tt but it will most likely be 3 so under in the game and yanks tt u and i may parlay sale with the under as well....severino was also very impressive last night and may be rounding into a top of the rotation type....i'll be looking to play him in his next few starts when value is there.

another game i kinda like is the pads/dbacks....weaver has pitched surprisingly well in all his starts and qualifies as the wiley veteran...giving up 2 runs only in 6 innings in his last 3....walker isn't that great imho being prone to the long ball but does have a 1.50 era in 2 starts against the pads....easier to do against the pads than most...always tough to bet an under in zona if the roof may be open but if it's shut then i like under 10.5 and i kinda like the pads a bit

good luck

quick write up....lackey 4-9 4.62 career vs sox team 4-14.....cubbies have never seen wright....little wind today at fenway and not sure if it's an assistance or not for wright....it is dry so his floater should be working ok....regardless two starters that have struggled and lackey getting old and probably more grumpy....the game has a total over feel to it but sox bats so quiet right now not sure if i dare with it being bet up a full run from 9.5 to 10.5.....there will be folks on the cubbies due to the inconsistency of wright but i am not sure i would take lackey until he shows signs he can still pitch....probable small play on over

tough day on the bases for me....man!!! had balt and the under and a few other losers including the mets, how did i do there?...so take everything i say and toss it out....sox and cubbies in the rubber match, first two were entertaining and frustrating for a sox fan....sox have lost 3/4 and 5/7 and have made 8 errors in the past 4 games....also still struggling on offense, score 1 total run in the yankee series and 5 runs in the first inning here and shutout for the next 8 and 4 runs in 4 innings in the second game and shutout for the last 5....both kendrick and rodriguez threw 6 shoutout innings last time out and both have really good stuff when on....lean toward the under as the pens, especially boston, are rested but the side very difficult to pick but would probably go cubbies as they are 5-1 with 6.8 rpg against lefties this year but i do not know the quality of those lefties....good luck

Futility, thy name is Red Sox offense. How many angles can one come from to describe the awfulness on display here?

Scoring overall

- They've scored more in 1 x 10th inning (3 runs) and 1 x 12th inning (3 runs) than they have in 24 combined 6th innings (1 run).:rofl:

- They scored more runs in the 3 combined 1st innings of their series vs. the Cubs (7) than they have in 24 combined 4th innings (5).

- They have scored in 3 of 48 combined 4th & 6th innings: in other words, they have gone scoreless in these 2 frames 93.75% of the time. Think about it: the 4th is almost always the top or middle of the order the second time round, and at least half the time the 6th inning will kick off with the order seeing the starter for the 3rd time round, and Boston hasn't done shit in either frame (6 total runs scored):craponface:

- They have scored 21.8% of their total runs between the 4th-5th-6th innings (72 combined innings). Contrast that with the fact they've scored 24.1% of their total runs so far in the 8th inning alone.

- They have scored 82 runs between the 1st & 8th innings (192 combined innings)...

3+4+5+6+7th inning = 45.1% of total runs scored in 62.5% of total innings batted
1+2+8th inning....... = 54.9% of total runs scored in 37.5% of total innings batted

- They've scored more runs in the 9th & Extras (11 runs in 20 combined innings) than they have in the 2nd inning (10 runs in 24 innings) or the 3rd inning (9 runs in 24 innings).

- Finally: they've scored in the 2nd inning 8 times, 1 more time than what they've managed in the 8th inning (7 times), yet their run production for 2nd innings (10 runs) is less than half than that for the 8th inning (21 runs).:rofl:

Scoring @Fenway

- They've scored more runs in 3 total extra innings (3 runs) than they have in 28 combined 3rd & 6th innings (2 runs):rofl:

- They have scored more runs in 14 x 1st inning (10), 14 x 2nd inning (8) & 14 x 5th innings (9) than they have scored in 28 combined 3rd & 4th innings (7).

They have scored 41 runs from the 3rd inning onwards (93 total innings)...

3rd thru 6th inning = 39.0% of total runs scored in 60.2% of total innings batted
7th inning onwards = 61.0% of total runs scored in 39.8% of total innings batted

exactly BC....their offense has been as anemic as one can get and it's hard to fathom with the supposed quality of their lineup....do they miss papi's bat that much and how do you lead the league in ba and obp and post above mentioned numbers, seems paradoxical to me....hopefully it changes

cubbies and sox just completed a competitive and challenging series in boston....sox took 2/3 but not sure they deserve it....cubbies a free swinging bunch, at least they were this weekend and some plate discipline would go a ways as they consistently gave away at bats chasing

todays game brings the o's back for a 4 gamer....porcello vs bundy....last time out i think bundy beat us 2-0 with some really good stuff but i can't recollect....bundy 2-3 4.76 vs sox and both pedroia and and betts have hit him well but it's hanley's bat that is hot currently....porcello no run support so far this year 1-3 4.75 and 4-8 4.88 career vs balt as trumbo jones and davis all hit him well ....balt allowed a lot of late runs to ny over the weekend and lost one game that they never should have and almost coughed up another....value probably on the birds tonight and total difficult but believe that despite boston's inept offense a couple games will go over....just not sure it's tonights game....may play the birds and stay away from the total....good luck

just back from hilton head playing golf with some friends from way back.....ton of fun....sox have a problem and i believe it to be serious enough that they should be looking to add offensive punch somehow....they have scored 40 less runs over the first 28 games than a year ago where they led the majors by 101 more than the next best team....1.4 runs per game less...probably a combo of losing papi who lead the league in ops and players not repeating career years and an owner who changes his management style on whims which is so typical of the ultra rich owner who insists on meddling....regardless we are 28 games in of an anemic offense and i believe that will be the norm night in and out excepting big nights and hot streaks....hughes 4-1 5.06 and been hit pretty good at home 10.81 2.402 and 6-9 5.36 in 26 starts vs sox....boston 3.4 runs per game road....erod 1-1 2.70 and 1 earned last 12 innings so he is the form that he is capable of but still has yet to show that form consistently....minn 14-12 on the year and better than most thought pre season....i think under is the play here as it is lined at 9 and i can see a 5-3 type of game and i am going to stay on erod for another game as i can see him dominating this lineup and boston getting a few but not many....for juice reasons i am playing sox-1 and under 9....good luck

scoring drought continues as the sox can not hit with runners in scoring position and the manager doesn't have the balls to bring his closer in without a lead, one would think that winning games trumps conventional thinking but i'm not a manager so.....tepesh gets his first start of the year....9-19 4.68 career and 1-1 2.00 in aaa this year with 17 so in 18 innings....porcello 1-4 4.46 but has pitched better than his numbers suggest.....4 earned his last 12 2/3.... dozier and buxton may be out for twins and bradley, panda, vasquez all sitting so tetesh will have some easy outs and porcello should be able to handle the twin lineup.....gonna go under again as it is lined at 9 once again and i do not expect a lot of offense.....may play the sox again as i feel the ball has to bounce in porcellos direction one of these games (poor reason to bet them i'm sure).....good luck

well 8 unearned cost me an under but covered it with the sox-1....i guess their offense had to shake loose at some point....sale vs santana....1.38 and .66 respectively and first time since 1969 two pitchers have squared off against each other with era less that 1.4 and having pitched 6 games...sale will strike out a lot (63 already) and minn offense still weak...buxton back in for the twins but not 100% and bradley jr and panda out for sox.....sox with the better pitcher and better lineup....lean under and minn tt under and sox -1 again.....some will look at santana as value and i could not argue but sale has been so good that he's hard to go against till he shows he's human....which he will but i'm not sure it's going to be today....good luck

sox in mil for the first time since '03....peralta started season 3-0 2.65 since then 1-2 7.48....drew 3-0 and 4.00 and has not pitched past 6th yet but has been winning....mil hits lefties at a .275 clip and shaw traded by sox to mil hits them at .323....sox bats getting warm finally and peralta suspect....like game over and sox tt over....will also throw a little at the sox hoping the hits keep coming.....not sure if bradley jr playing but i hope not as young is hot right now....good luck

mil can hit leading the league with 55 dingers and really hot in the first inning if you are into betting that prop.... .326 15 doubles 9 hr 33 runs in the first so far...broxton on fire for brewers and thames with 13 or 14 hr's and mookie 7-10 in this series....anderson unheralded but he has been very effective in his last 18 starts dating back to last year obviously 7-1 2.67 last 18 starts....kendrick got lit up last time out but 3-2 3.35 vs brew crew career and all starts at miller field...this game has over written all over it and bettors agree as it has been bet up from 9 to 9.5....boo hiss.....i'm going over and a smart guy would lay some change on the brewers as they have all the advantages that i can see....but i can't go against my boys....good luck

sox looking to avoid the sweep....2-16 wrisp last night and hitting .299 last 12 and 4th in majors in runs scored during that period....kendrick was bad and it cost them....sox have 8 guys on the dl and hanley possibly out today with a lat strain....erod 6 earned in his last 5 starts and continues to throw the ball well....nelson been getting hit but has a rested bullpen ready when and if he starts to get hit....braun out for the brew crew but perez able replacement.....mil bats on fire and sox hitting as well so over seems like the play here but it's getaway day and those games are harder to predict....also like erod to avoid the sweep but buyer beware as sox are scuffling....good luck

Thanks BAR

Porcello 10-5 career vs rays....got hammered by these rays in april and since that game has allowed 5 earned in 26 2/3 and pitched very well last 2....but no run support this year....cobb 3-1 3.14 in 28 2/3 at the fens and has been real good last 2....sox starting to hit but need hanley's bat in the lineup....he should be back tonight but he's the kind of guy that needs to be pretty healthy....5/7 have gone over for sox and 3/4 over for the rays....rays 3.4 rpg road and sox 4.7 rpg home (i think).....i like under 8.5 here and that will be my primary play...will play porcello -1 for a small play as i can see him holding the rays to 2-3 runs....good luck

unearned runs with shoddy little league like defense boned my under or made someones over whichever way you want to look at it....think hanley is back today but not sure....tb has not won two in a row for a couple weeks, pitching mismatch by any comparison.....sox averaging 7.8 rpg last week or so....rays 3.4 rpg road....rays pen got used last night....sox -1.5 -10....total at 7.5 and i honestly can't figure it but weather may play into total

sox in stl....one of the best bb towns in the land....the fans are knowledgable and respectful....more than you can say for philly,ny or boston for that matter....erod vs lynn....line has bounced from an open of stl-15 to bos -10 back to stl -10 so the bettor are split i guess....erod 1-1 2.88 1.17 and lynn 4-1 2.75 1.20 so similar from a stats standpoint.....lynn does pitch in the nl which is going to make his numbers look a bit better....stl really hot W8/9 and sox trading wins so that is a plus for stl....sox heading out on the road for a long stretch and have to play well or they will be playing catchup all year....so important in my mind....hanley probably at first and moreland will sit i would imagine....stl 3.8 rpg vs lefties and .223 and historically do poorly against a pitcher that is a live arm that they have never seen before....lynn with good numbers but 1.473 whip last 3 and poor outing (4 runs in 4 innings) last time out....erod conversely has been getting better and better and has top of the rotation stuff but plagued by youth early in his career...this game looks like an under to me as the sox have been having trouble with runners in scoring position and now they lose a bat....combined with erod's potential to shut down the stl lineup till the bullpen comes in and wraps up....also gonna roll with erod due to my perception that he is the superior here....buyer beware though as it is tough sledding to go against a hot club....

Haven't followed baseball a lick this season, but this thread should prove invaluable once I start.

:cheers3:

agree that ERod is starting to look like the stud people expect him to be. Sounds like no Hanley for the entire series besides PH duty, but I played BOS as well

thanks hugh,gl GW....

man, unearned runs again (3) boned my under....i think that has happened to 3 unders in a row for me....and i like it again tonight....two guys looking for their first win tonight, grey looking for first this year and velazquez looking for first ever....debut night for him....pitched in mexico league and effective their and 1.55 era in aaa and seasoned, 27 i think, word on the street is he throws strikes and commands the zone pretty well....we will see...grey is a stud and has always pitched better at home then on the road....1.93 era at home this year and 6 innings 2 runs and 5hits last saturday vs tex and pitched as well as he has this year....but hasn't won since last july 26th...ouch....but only seven starts...0-2 5.40 career vs sox and sox 10-2 last 12 vs oak and 4-2 last 6 in oak...grey due for a win and the rook untested but oak a tough place to score in and grey due for a solid outing and oak offense would most likely be rated in the poor category...can't recommend a side here (gun to head i would play oak) but being a sucker for punishment i am going to try for the under again....opened at 9 and bet to 8...good luck

well another under bet and another loss....you'd think i would learn....sale 85 k's on the year and coming up on a record if he can hit dd's tonight...against an oak team that is 36-63 last 99 vs lefties....sale 5-2 2.60 career vs oak adn 4-2 2.15 .767 on the season....he's on fire....graveman hard to figure for today...2-2 3.95 on the year but 0-2 5.48 since DL...0-0 1.35 vs bos career and a competitor and 1-0 2.5 1.278 home...all this points to an under in a pitchers park but i think i am banging my head against the wall....contrarian in oak 5/6 overs last 6 and bos 6/6 overs last 6....so return to mean or continuing trend....i'm going under so i would recommend you'all go over.....sale -1 the bigger play....i'm riding him like secretariat until he fails....good luck

another tough loss for sale....could easily be 7-0 this year....but at least the under hit....erod goes again today and once again undervalued....imo....but the sox suck right now and they are much better than the average display of bb they have shown thus far this season....but the quarter mark of the season is coming up which is one of the first indicaters of how a team is going to do over the long haul....there is already talk of trading for a power bat from one of the corner infield positions....personally I think they need to put a power bat in both positions...they have all the other parts in place....so sox win 2 in stl and then come to oak and lose the first 3....very difficult to figure this team....erod looking to avoid the sweep...had a no-hitter taken away from him in the 8th last year when replay overturned an out call at first...ouch....and then lost to a walk off in the 9th 1-0....double ouch....erod lost his first start and hasn't lost since 2-0....he's good as i have stated before....great fastball and allows him to trust his off speed stuff....Triggs who never has been much to this point in his career is 5-2 2.12 and lefties .135 batting against....arguably oak's best so far this season including gray...so the under is lined at 8.5 and once again i like the under better than a side....i think erod can pitch well enough to win but i'm not sure bos can score enough against triggs to win....so under 8.5 for me and maybe a small play on erod....but to be honest a play on the dog would be prudent considering current form of both teams and both pitchers which i value pretty high in my very suspect capping....good luck

the total is so high it worries me, but ERod is consistently undervalued and the market hates Triggs

good under possibility tomorrow in chi town....sox struggling with the bats amassing only 9 hits last 2 games and none after the 4th today....sale going against a rather weak white sox lineup and quintana whip under 1 last 3 despite giving up runs in his last game...and he was stellar in the 2 starts before that...open at 7.5 presumably and going to grab it as soon as i can as it will probably go down to 7 but i'm guessing....good luck

Wind will be blowing out to left at 10mph and it will be pleasant. Peady out. Up until recently it seemed Bosox provided little run support for their beast. I think the 7.5 opened up juiced at CRIS. Im thinking you should trust your gut. Good luck.

and I hadnt thought about fact that he just came from white sox, he will be pumped to impress

Last edited:
thanks johnny

quintana 3-0 2.87 career vs sox and a good friend of sale....sale will be amped to throw against his old buddies....this has got good ole try just a little bit harder written on it....line back to 7.5....sox lineup really weak on the backend tonight with pedroia out and cws only have cabrera and abreu that will challenge sale....good luck to all

Back