recruiting news

"What you do have is my whole word, and it's stronger than oak."

"I want to end with a very special thanks to coach Brown, coach (Greg) Davis and coach (Gene) Chizik. I won't let you down. Hook'em."
-John Brantley

I guess that oak turned into balsa wood over the course of a few months. The worst part about it is that HE sought us out 10 months ago. HE wanted to commit and because of this Mack gave Mallett a deadline to committ to UT. Mallett wasn't ready so we took Brantley's committment. We went out on a limb for him and shut down QB recruiting cuz he said he was as solid as can be to Texas. Ass.

wow...crazy alby..I don't really understand it to be honest, sounds like he is pussywhipped...he is making a lateral move to UF...

that sucks...I was worried about Mallet for a second coming to UM since I am obviously a UM fan, but he enrolled and is registered for classes this january...now, you guys know what it feels like to hate Urban Meyer a little bit.

Yeah theres a lot of stuff flying around that its a gf situation. Who knows. Bottom line, don't committ if you're not sure. The family is saying they wanted to let the coaches know now so they wouldn't be hanging us out to dry. Ha, thats funny. As if they haven't already done that.

Seems odd to me. Its my understanding that Brantley is not a mobile QB, something that Meyer needs in his offense. Tebow has the job for atleast the next 2yrs so he will come in and redshirt next yr but I just don't think he fits Meyer's system..

yeah...you guys into recruiting? I love it.

John Chiles will probably turn into the next VY anyways.

I watch the SC recruiting.. Some sites have us at #9 right now, we are bringing in some kids on the D-Line that can play and some athletes.. Gets me excited!

i use to follow recruiting.. i did a lot in hoops thus my knowledge of the nba players. The reason they verbally commit is so college coaches will leave them alone. Florida is an odd choice considering teebo is there.. Texas should try to get perilloux back

everythingthatsgreen said:
I watch the SC recruiting.. Some sites have us at #9 right now, we are bringing in some kids on the D-Line that can play and some athletes.. Gets me excited!
:drinking: LMAO .. Wait til UM,UT and UCLA and some of the big dogs make their run. The cocks will fall to 18 or so.. still not bad for them considering spurrier is probablly out playin golf :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever, I just want some kids that can play and stay in school. I don't care about their star rating, 5 star guys like Summers never lived up to the hype. Give me a 3star with heart (RICE) and I will be happy.. Nonetheless it keeps me interested in college football.. We are trying to get the #1 DE in the nation, word is that he is down to two schools, Carlos Dunlap.. These are 18yr old kids and change their mind more than their underwear so who knows who actually signs in Feb

Also out of the top 20 teams south carolina as far as average star is 18th. They just have a lot of commitments already thus the ranking. Southern Cal only has 12 michigan 19 notre dame 15..

Anyway the stars dont mean much i know, but check usc the past 5 years then check out who or will be in the nfl..

Whatever, I just want some kids that can play and stay in school. I don't care about their star rating, 5 star guys like Summers never lived up to the hype. Give me a 3star with heart (RICE) and I will be happy.. Nonetheless it keeps me interested in college football.. We are trying to get the #1 DE in the nation, word is that he is down to two schools, Carlos Dunlap.. These are 18yr old kids and change their mind more than their underwear so who knows who actually signs in Feb

Summers was the hype imho. He just didnt have his head on right.. The guy was definately talented. I mean david pollack was a 2 star full back.. Im just sayin usually the stars are pretty accurate.

We have 22 commits however the remaining kids we are targeting are all players.. Geathers, Dunlap, Brimfield, Culliver, Lecorn, Allen and Auguste

Michigan got a few good WR's out of Scarolina hemmingway and clemons, any of you guys seen them play or know if they are legit?

Did you guys know Mike Hart was a 3 star RB? Braylon Edwards was a 3 star WR too.

Summers showed glimpses of living up to the hype but the kid never made anything of his talent nad imo he was never the same after that hit in Arkansas...

On top of all that, Failing 3 drug tests will do that to you, figure he would have tried to beat the system or something..

Players in bold who didn't live up to the hype, didn't finish with Carolina, or didn't have their head on straight..

5-Star
Ricardo Hurley, Darel Slay, Randy Jackson
4-star
Corey Peoples, Moe Thompson, Kenny Irons
3-star
Chris White, Fred Bennett (Chris and Fred made the most impact)

5-star
Summers
4-star
Blake, Syvelle, Marcus Lawrence (he was so-so)
3-star
Corey Boyd, Darrell Shropshire
2-star
Ko Simpson (kid is in the NFL now), Stanley Doughty

4-star
Marque Hall, Dorian Capers, CJ Barber
3-star
Sidney Rice, KT Maynord, Kendrick Lynch
2-star
Lindsey twins, Stoney Woodson

Stars and recruiting is a crap shoot. You never know who you are getting as a player or a person. These are 17 and 18 year old kids. Some have all the talent and no heart. Some have great work-ethic, but can't stay with the books. Some are great, but can't stay out of trouble. I will wish them all the best...

I couldn't have said it better green..it's a crapshoot, but very fun and full of drama to follow it.

That sucks. Brantley being gone that is.

Still Colt is solid, Sherrod is good, and John Chiles will be VY Light. Not as if the cupboard is bare.

Just concerned about the trickle down effect Chizik and Brantley will have on the rest of the class.

Chris culliver will not go to USC..that kid can't make up his mind to save his life...Brantley National Gatorade Player of the year this year. always wondered why he decided to commit to the horns so early, but he is definitely good. he goes to my little sisters high school from where I used to live..will try and talk to a couple of guys down there and see if i can find out what happened and where he is going

UT sold their soul to the devil to get that title last year with the recent events the last month and a half. Brantley leaving hurts because Texas had Mallett. Snead is gone to Ole Miss and Mccoy arm strength may never be the same.

Chiles will be good though and I actually prefer the running QB if Davis is the TX OC.

While we are on the topic,as far as star ratings and rankings go, rumor is by next week SC could be picking up a verbal from its first 5star recruit, the #1 DE in the country, Carlos Dunlap.. 6-6, 240 w/ 4.7 so there is def some room to add weight to that frame..

Just want to bump an old thread.. The ALL-STAR game is this weekend, here is a chance to see some future gamecocks..

F243473.JPG

Starting a top left going right
Travian Robertson - 42 **
Quintin Richardson - 72 **
Stephen Garcia - 5 **
Chris Culliver - 22
Joe Hills - 6 **
Carlos Dunlap, Jr - 8
Brian Maddox - 10 **
Cliff Matthews - 33 **

** = Players who have already made the committment... USC is waiting on Dunlap & Culliver..

What all star game is that? They cant be that good if they are goin to south carolina..

abcs said:
What all star game is that? They cant be that good if they are goin to south carolina..

:down:

Well for starters, I am no recruiting expert but I would think the people that run rivals are..

Second, its the East vs. West All Star game

Lastly, who wouldn't want to play for Spurrier? :wacka wacka:

Travian Robertson - 42 = 4star DE, #7 at his position
Quintin Richardson - 72 = 4star OL, #8 at his position
Stephen Garcia - 5 = 4star QB, #3 at his position
Chris Culliver - 22 = 4star Saftey/wr, #7 at his position w/ 4.37 speed
Joe Hills - 6 = 4star WR, #16 at his position, great size
Carlos Dunlap, Jr - 8 = 5 star DE, #1 at his position
Brian Maddox - 10 = 4 star RB, #14 at his position
Cliff Matthews - 33 = 4star DE, #3 at his position

Yeah these rankings mean crap, I was just pointing out that there is some SC talent in the all-star game...ABCS apparently doesn't believe! :shake:

Last edited:
Is this the all american game that claussen, brantley and mallet are playing in?

Hunt i dont think so.. all these guys are 4 stars, Im sure they are playing in the game in san antonio ( i could be wrong)

Why would 3 descently ranked defensive players "WANT" to go play for spurrier..

abcs said:
Why would 3 descently ranked defensive players "WANT" to go play for spurrier..

Because they believe he will win the SEC?

:cheers: :smiley_acbe: :wacka wacka: :shake: :drink:

HAHA, might be a stretch but not impossible..

The offense defense game is rivals version while scout.com rivals main competition has the Army All american game.

The Army game is the one that features the best players in the country probably the top 5 at each position while the offense defense game has the next tier of prospects around 6-10.

Texas has 6 players and maybe 7 (Christian Scott) at the Army All-American game.

SC has a great class with 8 4-star players and Spurrier has always been one of the best recruiters.

USC is going to have a disgusting class once again. I don't think anyone has ever put together a string of 4 classes in a row that USC has EVER.

Top 3 classes are going to be Florida, Texas, and USC again like last year. Its going to be like that for quite a while since these 3 schools now dominate their respective states in terms of getting the top talent.

SHSUHorn said:
The offense defense game is rivals version while scout.com rivals main competition has the Army All american game.

The Army game is the one that features the best players in the country probably the top 5 at each position while the offense defense game has the next tier of prospects around 6-10.

Texas has 6 players and maybe 7 (Christian Scott) at the Army All-American game.

SC has a great class with 8 4-star players and Spurrier has always been one of the best recruiters.

USC is going to have a disgusting class once again. I don't think anyone has ever put together a string of 4 classes in a row that USC has EVER.

Top 3 classes are going to be Florida, Texas, and USC again like last year. Its going to be like that for quite a while since these 3 schools now dominate their respective states in terms of getting the top talent.

Bump and old thread..

Signing day is less than a month away and things will start to shake out in the next few weeks..

SC picked up another committment..

Clifton Geathers enrolled for the spring semester and wants to play DE...Geathers is 6-7 290 with 4.8 speed. Rivals has him at 4stars so that makes 9 for SC... I think SC closes out this yr with a top 10 class and some potential impact players..

Here is a Carlos Dunlap update. It is going to come down to Florida and SC.

Dunlap's father played BBALL at SC so that is why we have a shot at getting him over UF but I was reading the UF boards and they want this kid...

Dunlap is a 5star recruit rated #7 overall on Rivals 100, #1 Weakside D-End in the class.. Stands 6'6 240lbs.

USC has commits from 3 DE's and 4 DT's already but there is always room for this kid, especially with one of those DE's moving to LB.

Dunlap Headed To Knoxville This Weekend

By Phil Kornblut
DE Carlos Dunlap Jr. (6-6 245) of Fort Dorchester made an official visit to USC in December and will make two more visits this month before making his decision. He wil visit Tennessee this weekend and Florida on the 20th. His father will join him on the trip to Knoxville. "I really want him to tell Tennessee, 'you're not our favorite,' but it's not my decision," Carlos Sr. said. "But he really wants to see Tennessee. The weekend after that we're headed to Florida. After he makes that visit he's going to make his decision based on those three visits. If it's not the facilities, it's the comraderie with the other players, the depth chart, who they are losing, what playing time is available. We just have to make sure it's the right place. He's basically made a commitment to one of the three but he won't tell me. He wants to tell them (the coaches) face to face if they're not his choice. He doesn't want to burn a bridge we might want to cross some day. If it was my choice of the three, for the sake of the family and the state...it would just put Carolina right over the hump." Carlos's mother will join him on his visit to Florida. Carlos Sr. said his son probably would have an ESPN televised announcement of his decision shortly after his final visit.

anyone see matt and chris simms at the nc st basketball game with o brien>

5 - Star Carlos Dunlap set to announce today at 5pm..

It will be either SoCar or Florida

#1 Weakside DE in country

<!--From Prefetch--><TABLE class=pdbheader cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pic>
CARLOSDUNLAP2_15150.JPG

pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif

</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Weakside defensive end
North Charleston (SC) Fort Dorchester
Ht: 6-foot-7
Wt: 260 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Bench max: 350 pounds
Squat max: 460 pounds
Vertical: 31 inches
Class: 2007 (High School)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5 - Star WR Chris Culliver set to announce this week..

Culliver will choose between SoCar and Florida

#3 WR in the country<TABLE class=pdbheader cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pic>
CHRISCULLIVER12_13150.JPG

pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif

pdb05_camera.gif
Photo Gallery

</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Wide Receiver
Garner (NC) Garner
Ht: 6-foot-0 (Event)
Wt: 188 lbs
Forty: 4.37 secs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Vertical: 33 inches
Shuttle: 4.19 secs

5 - Star Carlos Dunlap set to announce today at 5pm..

It will be either SoCar or Florida

#1 Weakside DE in country

<!--From Prefetch--><TABLE class=pdbheader cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pic>
CARLOSDUNLAP2_15150.JPG

pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif

</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Weakside defensive end
North Charleston (SC) Fort Dorchester
Ht: 6-foot-7
Wt: 260 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Bench max: 350 pounds
Squat max: 460 pounds
Vertical: 31 inches

Dunlap coming to Gainesville baby....looks like a Jarvis Moss clone: 6'7, 260....:smiley_acbe: :smiley_acbe: :smiley_acbe:

why in gods name would someone go to columbia .. no offense . But what do they offer over UGA .. UF .. Tenny .. LSU.. Auburn or Alabama

Especially if you are a defensive guy.

MrMulligan said:
Dunlap coming to Gainesville baby....looks like a Jarvis Moss clone: 6'7, 260....:smiley_acbe: :smiley_acbe: :smiley_acbe:

Nice pickup Mull. Florida is loaded again.

5 - Star WR Chris Culliver set to announce this week..

Culliver will choose between SoCar and Florida

#3 WR in the country<TABLE class=pdbheader cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pic>
CHRISCULLIVER12_13150.JPG

pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif
pdb05_star.gif

</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Wide Receiver
Garner (NC) Garner
Ht: 6-foot-0 (Event)
Wt: 188 lbs
Forty: 4.37 secs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Vertical: 33 inches
Shuttle: 4.19 secs

He is a gamecock!!!!

Culliver picks Gamecocks
Garner speedster initially committed to N.C. State
Tim Stevens, Staff Writer
Garner's Chris Culliver, one of the fastest high school football players in the country, plans to announce today that he will attend the University of South Carolina.
The 6-foot-1, 191-pound defensive back committed to the Gamecocks while on an official visit last weekend, Garner coach Nelson Smith said.
Culliver initially committed to N.C. State last summer but later reopened his recruitment.
Culliver leaped onto the national recruiting front last summer when he ran a string of sub-4.4 times over 40 yards in various combines with one 4.28 clocking.
During the 2006 season, Culliver ran some at tailback, gaining 405 yards, but he was used primarily as a kick returner (four kick returns for touchdowns) and defensive player by the Trojans. He also caught two passes. He could play wide receiver with the Gamecocks.

High schools editor Tim Stevens can be reached at (919) 829-8910 or tstevens@newsobserver.com.

Rivals has SC as #1 Receiver class, one of these kids will play a lot next yr and this is my pick.

I would love to have landed Dunlap as well but shit happens, can't keep them all in state otherwise we would have a stud wr like Hemmingway (Mich) but I am more excited about getting Culliver. We have 3 DE's coming in all who are 4stars, Cliff Mathews was defensive MVP of the Shrine Bowl and the Rivals All-Star game..

Least we split with UF, If they took both I would be very unhappy..

Last edited:
abcs said:
why in gods name would someone go to columbia .. no offense . But what do they offer over UGA .. UF .. Tenny .. LSU.. Auburn or Alabama

Especially if you are a defensive guy.

Going to a school because of its name is cool and all but if you are going to be somewhere for 4yrs you might as well like the environment. I don't know what is bringing these kids to Columbia, an expanding city, or to USC, a quickly expanding research institution.. Maybe they hate dogs, gators, color orange, purple, and the state of Alabama..

Point is, why did recruits start going to Rutgers, formerly known as the dump in Jersey ...Because they believed in the coach...Maybe some of these recruits believe Spurrier..

I was talkin more about the defensive of guys. Only reason i could imagine a recruit going to south carolina over the schools i listed is becuz they could play right away. My point of view is if you are a 5 star and think your good you shouldnt mind competition, guys like sanchez and booty were big time ballers and they could have gone to a secondary school but they wanted to compete and thus will wait their turn.. that being said going against better players in practice every day will make them better.

He is a gamecock!!!!

Culliver picks Gamecocks
Garner speedster initially committed to N.C. State
Tim Stevens, Staff Writer
Garner's Chris Culliver, one of the fastest high school football players in the country, plans to announce today that he will attend the University of South Carolina.
The 6-foot-1, 191-pound defensive back committed to the Gamecocks while on an official visit last weekend, Garner coach Nelson Smith said.
Culliver initially committed to N.C. State last summer but later reopened his recruitment.
Culliver leaped onto the national recruiting front last summer when he ran a string of sub-4.4 times over 40 yards in various combines with one 4.28 clocking.
During the 2006 season, Culliver ran some at tailback, gaining 405 yards, but he was used primarily as a kick returner (four kick returns for touchdowns) and defensive player by the Trojans. He also caught two passes. He could play wide receiver with the Gamecocks.

High schools editor Tim Stevens can be reached at (919) 829-8910 or tstevens@newsobserver.com.

Rivals has SC as #1 Receiver class, one of these kids will play a lot next yr and this is my pick.

I would love to have landed Dunlap as well but shit happens, can't keep them all in state otherwise we would have a stud wr like Hemmingway (Mich) but I am more excited about getting Culliver. We have 3 DE's coming in all who are 4stars, Cliff Mathews was defensive MVP of the Shrine Bowl and the Rivals All-Star game..

Least we split with UF, If they took both I would be very unhappy..

Congrats bro...I think that ole bull Gator will get y'all competing for the SEC East crown soon...:cheers:

Back