Ray Guy

twink with a stray shout-out to Ray Guy, elected to the HOF six months ago as part of class of seven.

Just kidding, twink, he was a great one. Only punter and just a handful of kickers (and Groza and Blanda played other positions), yet the game's called FOOTball.

1st round pick in 1973. I know that was a first for a punter, but has a punter been drafted in the first round since??

And how about Lou Groza's nickname? Lou "The Toe" Groza. A HOF tackle/kicker … Can you imagine Jonathon Ogden or Orlando Pace also being your kicker?

I know this is a Ray Guy thread, but don't really see another thread with HOF talk, so this will have to do...

Bt91PheIcAAdwyZ.jpg:large

Great quote by Aneas Williams about covering Michael Irvin during his career.

"If he went to the bathroom, I went with him to flush it."

lololololollolololol

Don't know much about Ray Guy, but I heard the saying "outkicked his coverage" was born due to his punts. Interest trivia there

The fact that Andre Reed in in the hall before Tim Brown is a fucking travesty.

Travesty? They have pretty damn comparable #s....and Reed went to 4 straight Super Bowls. I can understand the 'Brown should be in before Reed' argument, but to call it a travesty is quite the stretch.

Not only are there #s very comparable, Reed retired 4 years before Brown. The fact that either of them had to wait this long may be the real travesty. Brown may have a few more years to wait to get in, just like it took Andre.

Reed - 16 seasons, 951 receptions, 13,198 yds, 87 TDs (4.1 rec/game and 56.4 yds/game)

Brown - 17 seasons, 1094 receptions, 14,934 yds, 100 TDs (4.3 rec/gm and 58.6 yds/game)

Walter Jones read his entire speech off his paper. Never understand that. Even if you're not a good speaker, maybe have some notes. But there has to be some good stories to tell off the cuff .

Not only are there #s very comparable, Reed retired 4 years before Brown. The fact that either of them had to wait this long may be the real travesty. Brown may have a few more years to wait to get in, just like it took Andre.

Reed - 16 seasons, 951 receptions, 13,198 yds, 87 TDs (4.1 rec/game and 56.4 yds/game)

Brown - 17 seasons, 1094 receptions, 14,934 yds, 100 TDs (4.3 rec/gm and 58.6 yds/game)

Brown pretty much missed his second and third seasons with a horrible knee injury, he only had 1 reception in his second season and 18 in his third season. This was back when an ACL basically meant you were done in the NFL. Brown had nine straight 1000 yard seasons, Reed only had four in his career and never back to back. Don't get me wrong, Reed was a great receiver but there just isn't any way he should be in before Tim Brown.

Brown pretty much missed his second and third seasons with a horrible knee injury, he only had 1 reception in his second season and 18 in his third season. This was back when an ACL basically meant you were done in the NFL. Brown had nine straight 1000 yard seasons, Reed only had four in his career and never back to back. Don't get me wrong, Reed was a great receiver but there just isn't any way he should be in before Tim Brown.

Fair enough, but Reed also played on a team with other HOFers, so he wasn't simply being fed the ball game after game. I don't disagree at all that Brown should be in the HOF, possibly even before Reed...again though, Reed retired 4 years before Brown...Brown was never gonna be a 1st ballot HOFer, so conceivably Reed should have been by the time those 5 years elapsed (the 4 Brown was still playing, and Brown's 1st yr of eligibility). I just thought that calling it a 'travesty' was a bit much, as they are both deserving of Canton.

:shake:

Pretty sure Shane Lechler went in the first round.........Gig 'em Ags.
are you looking forward to Thanksgiving?

You are old enough to remember the old days? A bit before my time, but I like it. I will miss the Golden Boot but it was just made up...it is always a cool game yet I think TAMU more fitting

Really if Piss?St wasnt there, it would be Piss and LSU

Either way good to see ya:tiphat:

sorry thread:mooned:

nice...so, the town goes pretty nuts as you say? Pretty neat.

Keep that team there....I hope Jon Bon Jovi doesnt steal or try to move that team.....what is the deal with all that?

Yeah Twinkie, Canton pretty much turns into Buffalo 2.0 from what I've seen and read over the years. It's a short drive, so it's no surprise there really.

There's nothing to worry about with Bon Jovi and Toronto. The lease that the Bills have with the county/stadium has a restrictive non-relocation clause which prohibits the sale of the team to anyone who plans on relocating it before July 2023. There is a "one time out clause" in that lease that allows the Bills to break the lease and move the team, but that doesn't kick in until 2020 and comes with a $28.4M penalty. If the new owners were adamant about moving the team before 2020 when that one-time opt out clause takes effect, they will be faced with a $400M penalty. The Bon Jovi group isn't going to pay at least $1.3B for the team and then kick in another $400M for a penalty, especially moving the team to Toronto where it's no guarantee the NFL would succeed (the attendance for Bills games has been atrocious, which is why the Bills stopped playing there).

Also, neither the NFL, nor the estate for Ralph Wilson will approve a sale to anyone with intentions of moving the team. Bon Jovi's group has said they aren't interested in doing that, but there are many reports showing that the group has been looking for locations in Toronto for a new stadium. If the NFL finds them to be true, it won't matter what the group is saying to them face to face, they just won't approve the sale.

The estate also doesn't have to sell to the highest bidder. If, somehow, the Bon Jovi bid is higher than Terry Pegula's (it has been reported that Pegula's bid was $1.3B and Bon Jovi's was $1.2B so it may be a moot point), the NFL and Wilson's estate would probably sell the team to Pegula for less money knowing that there is no chance he would ever move the team, seeing as how he's a local guy who already owns the Buffalo Sabres and has built The Harbor Center down near the Arena with 2 Olympic size ice rinks, which is going to be great for the local economy.

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/0ap2000000373464/Kelly-to-Reed-one-more-time[/video]

I don't know why that video won't post correctly, it is from nfl.com so maybe that's why. If anyone can embed it properly, can you do so please?

Andre Reed's speech was pretty awesome last night....full of emotion and the 'one last pass' from Kelly was phenomenal (the link in the post above).

Here's the entire speech, with intro from Marv, in case anyone is interested and didn't get a chance to watch it last night.

[video=youtube;_vsjd1HeCzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vsjd1HeCzw&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Back