Ravens vs. Browns Props Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Last Chance Value Picks for Betting Ravens vs. Browns

Baltimore Ravens vs. Cleveland Browns
Monday, December 14, 2020 at 8:15 p.m. ET (ESPN) at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio

Jarvis Landry
Over/Under 4.5 Receptions

Targets

The absence of Odell Beckham Jr. is a blessing for Cleveland’s offense. Quarterback Baker Mayfield no longer feels pressured to throw the ball to the diva wide receiver.

Instead, Baker loves throwing the ball to Jarvis Landry. He has 78 targets, 44 more than any other Cleveland pass-catcher.

Landry has been favored a lot especially lately, In Cleveland’s last two games, he has been targeted a combined total of 21 times.

Marlon Humphrey

It’s true that the Raven secondary is very good. You might be afraid of trusting Landry because Marlon Humphrey will try to cover him.

While Humphrey is a great cornerback, his greatness consists in his ability to limit his opposing wide receiver’s yardage and touchdown totals.

So while Humphrey ranks highly in categories like yards per reception allowed, he ranks a drastically more modest 61st in receptions allowed.

We do not care if Landry only has 10 yards or fails to score a touchdown. He will be targeted many times and he will face the right-matchup to hit the ‘over’ on receptions.

Best Bet: Landry Over 4.5 Receptions at -143 with Bovada

Baker Mayfield
Over/Under 217.5 Yards

Humphrey

This bet builds off of the last one. While Landry remains Mayfield’s top target, he will struggle to get many yards off of his receptions.

Five of the last six wide receivers that Humphrey shadowed failed to exceed 50 yards. The one exception barely exceeded this receiving yardage total and required 12 targets to do so.

Options

Without many yards for Landry, it’s hard to imagine which other wide receiver will accrue many yards. Without Odell Beckham, Mayfield failed to reach 205 passing yards in all three games where Landry failed to exceed 52 receiving yards.

Mayfield has not developed the anticipated chemistry with his new tight end from Atlanta.

Otherwise, Mayfield’s other favorite target is Rashard Higgins, who has played great in a couple outings against awful pass defenses like Cincinnati’s and Tennessee’s, but is otherwise typically quiet.

Pressure

Don’t let Mayfield’s recent passing numbers scare you off of betting the “under” in passing yards. He’s thrived because he’s had a clean pocket with sufficient time to throw.

Baltimore will be completely different than the low-ranked pass defenses of Tennessee and Jacksonville.

The Ravens own the highest blitz rate in the NFL. Their aggressiveness makes them a terrible match-up for Mayfield.

Under pressure, Mayfield ranks 38th in passer rating. When facing pressure, Mayfield has a 32.0 passer rating with one touchdown to four interceptions.

He’s faced two defenses that rank top-five in pressure rate, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and he failed to reach 200 passing yards against either defense, even though he had opportunities to accrue garbage-time stats.

Best Bet: Mayfield Under 217.5 Passing Yards at -114 with Bovada

Gus Edwards
Over/Under 31.5 Rushing Yards

Snaps

Gus Edwards does not receive a lot of rushing opportunities. This is especially true with the developing surge of rookie running back JK Dobbins.

Whereas Edwards hasn’t attempted even 10 rushes in any of his past three games, Dobbins has seen 26 rush attempts in his past two games combined.

Offensive Line

Baltimore’s run-blocking unit is a mess.

Eight-time Pro Bowler Marshal Yanda retired from the guard position. Ronnie Stanley, a Pro Bowler at left tackle, landed on Injured Reserve.

So right tackle Orlando Brown had to move to left tackle.

Rookie Tyre Phillips, who was placed on IR and is now healthy, has had to move from right guard to right tackle.

Browns Run Defense

Edwards’ biggest games have come before Dobbins started earning regularly more rush attempts and they have come against bottom-ranked run defenses like Houston’s.

But Cleveland ranks eighth in opposing rushing yards per game.

The Brown defensive line gets credit with Larry Ogunjobi stepping up to secure the interior.

Likewise, with Sione Takitaki, the Browns boast higher-quality linebackers that, like Ogunjobi, are earning higher grades from PFF.

Of course, Garrett is a run-stopper, too, and he’ll feast upon the rookie Phillips.

Expect Edwards to see too little attention and find too little production against this Cleveland defense who Baltimore will want to exploit in the air because top cornerback Denzel Ward is still out.

Best Bet: Edwards Under 31.5 Rushing Yards at -114 with Bovada

No offense but Im so tired of the “they better without obj” narrative. Couldn’t it be a product of coaching and they be playing better with him as well? I mean we all know they have a good legit head coach now, new system, no preseason I think it fair to say it was gonna take them some time regardless the pieces on the field. I just don’t think obj is the team killer he gets portrayed as. The only time I believe he gets pissy about wanting the ball is when his team losing, only natural when a team losing for a talented player to think if he got the ball more he could potentially change the outcome! I never heard anything bad about his work ethic. I’ve been hard on him at times, like when he wore the 250k watch last year! When he was on a boat partying before a playoff game! He obviously has brought it on himself to a extend but I just think this narrative been unfair and excessive.

Imo browns be even more dangerous if he was on the field, still think the biggest change has been Baker being protected in this offense, I still believe if a team can pressure him he revert back to sucking!! Unfortunately Im not sure ravens will pressure him, they wernt able to get pressure on Dalton last week!

Not that any of that has anything to do with the Landry prop. Bar mentioned wind tonight, that certainly will help the Baker under play.

Not that any of that has anything to do with the Landry prop. Bar mentioned wind tonight, that certainly will help the Baker under play.

I was about to be indignant lol because I didn't say or try to hint at all about the O being better or worse without OBJ. In fact, one could glean from my Baker play that I think the O is better with OBJ.

I was about to be indignant lol because I didn't say or try to hint at all about the O being better or worse without OBJ. In fact, one could glean from my Baker play that I think the O is better with OBJ.

fair enough. Just seems like I see the “better without obj” narrative a lot lately and think it bogus. Surely they be better off with obj than peoples jones!!

Back