Rams vs. Bills Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Rams vs. Bills: NFL Week 3 Picks and Game Predictions

Los Angeles Rams vs. Buffalo Bills
Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 1 p.m. ET (FOX) at Orchard Park, New York

Misleading Trend

If you’ve thought about betting on the Rams with your NFL Picks, then perhaps you were misled by the following trend:

Under Sean McVay, the Rams have both won and scored 30+ points in all five games that they’ve played at 1 p.m. in the Eastern time zone.

But a closer look suggests that this trend does’t really mean anything.

For starters, most of their opponents were very bad.

In 2019, the Rams beat a 1-5 Falcons team while accruing five sacks (i’ll say more on L.A.’s pass rush later). In 2018, they pulled away from the 4-7 Lions in the fourth quarter. They also demolished the 1-6 Giants in 2017.

Scoring came easy against the Falcons and Giants because the 2019 Falcons and 2017 Giants both ranked 30th in pass defense.

They faced both the Lions and Giants after a bye week. The Rams also faced the Panthers in 2018 fully-rested in the first game of the season in which game they accrued a paltry 4.8 YPP (Yards Per Play).

As for Philadelphia — the Rams beat the Eagles 37-19 last week — the verdict remains out on its defense, although there are a lot of reasons to be negative about it (independently of how the Rams performed).

Rams Run Game vs. Bills Run Defense

L.A. loves to execute the play-action pass — no quarterback threw more of this type of pass last season than Jared Goff.

A good rush attack makes the play-action pass a more dangerous option. This year, the Rams remain determined to be potent in play-action passes.

Based on rush play percentage, no team is more committed to running the ball than the Rams.

However, during the offseason, Buffalo added both quantitatively and qualitatively more pieces to its defensive line than it lost.

With newfound depth and quality, the Bills seem to have improved with respect to run defense.

After ranking 11th in run defense this year, the Bills rank third in the category this year. They’re allowing 75.5 rush yards per game.

One may say that Buffalo owes its statistical improvement to the low quality of its opponents.

But one can make the same claim about L.A.’s rushing offense. The Rams averaged just 3.8 YPC against Dallas and then encountered what has been a highly-paid but non-existent Philadelphia defensive line.

Plus, the individual player quality in Buffalo is undisputed. One new signing, defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson, was already a highly-graded (per PFF) run-stopper.

Fellow defensive tackle Ed Oliver was already projected to be a stout run-stopper based on his superb effectivity against the run against strong competition in college. He’s building off his rookie campaign now.

Then we have Trent Murphy at defensive end who was ranked 21st-best by PFF in stopping the run. Jerry Murphy has likewise been a well-respected edge setter at the other end position.

Rams Pass Attack vs Buffalo Pass Defense

With lessened ability to run, Goff won’t succeed with his favored play-action pass.

He’ll anyhow have to confront a Buffalo secondary that remains one of the very best in pass defense after ranking second in opposing pass yards last year.

Tre’Davious White anchors the Bills’ secondary with his ability in press coverage and his reliability against faster wide receivers.

White and the rest of Buffalo’s secondary is supported by a pass rush that ranks first in win rate thanks to guys like Oliver who are often able to reach the quarterback within 2.5 seconds.

One may ask why Miami was able to pass for so many yards against Buffalo.

Two key injuries — to Tremaine Edwards and fellow linebacker Matt Milano — opened up spaces for Miami’s pass attack.

But both linebackers are back in practice. Their health is crucial to containing L.A. tight end Tyler Higbee. Doing that allows Buffalo’s safeties to provide additional support in coverage and against the run.

Josh Allen

I alluded to L.A.’s pass rush earlier.

This year, the Rams have regressed to one of the worst teams in this respect as evidenced by the meagre quantity of sacks and pressures that they are accruing. The loss of Dante Fowler Jr. hurt them.

Their regression is significant because Allen loves to hang onto the ball — even more so than L.A.’s last opposing quarterbacks.

Say what you want about Allen facing weak opponents — Miami’s secondary was supposed to be elite but has been injury-ridden.

But Allen flexes more accuracy, intelligence, and patience as a passer than people give him credit for, which is why he’s completing 70.4 percent of his passes.

Right now, he ranks first in passing yards, second in touchdowns, and fourth in quarterback rating.

He was already one of the league’s most efficient quarterbacks in intermediate throws as he benefitted from an offensive redesign that aimed to suit his strengths.

The Bills went and got Stefon Diggs from Minnesota in order to offer more of a deep-passing threat. Diggs leads the NFL in receiving yards after amassing 1,130 last year.

One may counter that L.A. corner Jalen Ramsey has great numbers in coverage himself. But Diggs will provide a much tougher challenge than rookie Jalen Reagor and aging DeSean Jackson did last week.

Plus, Buffalo has more options beyond Diggs like John Brown and Cole Beasley. Brown exceeded 1,000 yards receiving last year. Beasley, who accrued 778 last season, is right behind him this year.

Brown, especially, will thrive if/when Ram corner Troy Hill tries to shadow him. Hill has been helpless when targeted this season.

Schematically, Buffalo is also using more four wide-receiver sets in order to create more space — also for Allen as a runner.

The Bills are also upping their play-action usage for Allen, which will remain effective against L.A., whose defensive line is ranked 30th in run-stopping by Football Outsider’s metrics and who therefore will bite on Buffalo’s play-action attempts.

The Verdict

I talked about many reasons why one may want to bet on the Rams.

A Ram backer will point to a trend, to Jalen Ramsey, to Buffalo’s run defense, and to the low quality of Josh Allen’s competition.

But I showed that the trend is actually meaningless, that Buffalo is too deep at wide receiver, too deep and improved in its run-stopping, and that Allen is an improved passer taking advantage of more finely-tuned scheming.

Because the Bills money-line is cheap, I recommend betting on Buffalo to win.

Best Bet: Bills ML (-130) at Bovada

While I agree rams success in the east coast 1 o’clock slot prob not a good reason to bet them in those spots, I also think regardless of opponent it does show you don’t have to worry bout them laying eggs in those spots as some teams been known to do. In other words I don’t think you should ever downgrade them for that situation as we sometimes tend to do.

“After ranking 11th in run defense this year, the Bills rank third in the category this year. They’re allowing 75.5 rush yards per game.“

Im assuming you meant “Last year” for the 1st “this year” referring to the 11th ranked rush d?

-130 does seem really cheap.

I do think rams should get credit for running so well on Philly d. Outside that game we havnt seen evidence Philly run d is bad. Don’t think we can say it good either but I expected it to be solid. Washington game didn’t tell us much Imo so to early to say.

Rams offense lives on misdirection, gotta think a bills defense I consider to be well coached and disciplined will present way bigger problems for them. I’ve always liked John brown, I think bringing in diggs will allow him to have some monster games and this could def be one where you would expect diggs to see lot of ramsey. Allen been fantastic, if it wasn’t for Russ cooking up in Seattle id think he be getting some well deserved early mvp love.

“After ranking 11th in run defense this year, the Bills rank third in the category this year. They’re allowing 75.5 rush yards per game.“

Im assuming you meant “Last year” for the 1st “this year” referring to the 11th ranked rush d?

Yes my bad. Thanks for catching that.

-130 does seem really cheap.

I do think rams should get credit for running so well on Philly d. Outside that game we havnt seen evidence Philly run d is bad. Don’t think we can say it good either but I expected it to be solid. Washington game didn’t tell us much Imo so to early to say.

Rams offense lives on misdirection, gotta think a bills defense I consider to be well coached and disciplined will present way bigger problems for them. I’ve always liked John brown, I think bringing in diggs will allow him to have some monster games and this could def be one where you would expect diggs to see lot of ramsey. Allen been fantastic, if it wasn’t for Russ cooking up in Seattle id think he be getting some well deserved early mvp love.

But also just 3.8 YPC from Rams vs Dallas run D which basically was missing both key run-stopping linebackers

But also just 3.8 YPC from Rams vs Dallas run D which basically was missing both key run-stopping linebackers

fair. I def think they gonna struggle running this week. I think you spot on with this one, at this price it worth paying to see if rams really this good. I made line several point higher.

Adding to that thought. We took rams as 3 point home dogs to the freaking cowboys week 1!! The same Dallas team buffalo crushed last thanksgiving and I think it fair to say with the evolving of Allen and the additions they made bills better this year! I know this most likely them adjusting on thinking they been wrong on rams but this seems excessive to say the least, less than a fg here makes no sense to me. This might be my favorite play of the week. Bills have any fans in stands or no?

Greg Cosell (who I love listening talk football) just spoke a lot on Herd to how creative rams offense is with misdirection. Mcvay did a number on eagles defense! Like I said I consider bills d to be incredibly well coached so it be interesting to see if Mcvay can exploit them. I think Goff throws a great ball but we have yet to see a game this year where all Mcvay eye candy hasn’t made life pretty easy for him.

McVay always deserves a lot of respect for his offensive creativity
He's the opposite of Fisher. He's creative running misdirection with deceptive formations. He's got Goff playing with confidence. Its still a question whether Goff can play off-schedule enough to compliment McVay. The unspoken change with the Rams is their young defense. They're playing under a new DC and have 2 great players in Ramsey and Donald. They gave up 19pts last week with 7 coming from a fumble by the punt return. They gave up 17 opening week to Dallas. Lots of football left so I continue to laugh when I hear the pundits say Buffalo is their strongest play. This won't be easy for either team.

@VirginiaCavs I posted a couple thoughts in the discussion thread.

I think its the game of the day. Anyone who says the Bills are their strongest play should be laughed at.

As a Bills fan I agree, I think this game is going to be closely played. I said in week 1 the Bills 2nd corner is the weak link defensively, and that was before Milano & Edmunds got injured. If Goff can sit back with no pressure Woods/Higbee will get open. I'd hope the defense comes out much more physical than last week

Donald is a mismatch vs anyone, I just hope Allen plays smart. Bills have to get Singletary going if they want to keep that offense off the field.

Bills thoughts- I'm happy with the outcome of the last 2 games but am still very tempered with my expectations. Allen and the passing attack has looked unstoppable but it was against two of the bottom tier teams in the game. I think they need to get Singletary more involved (likely to happen with Moss out this week). Donald is as elite a player as they come, really don't think Allen will just shrug him off like some of the tackles up to this point.

Defensively the Bills weakness is the 2nd corner. It can be hidden with the fact that we have a top 3 safety tandem in the league, but a good wr2 will exploit Levi Wallace. I said after week 1 Robert Woods/Kupp are matchup nightmares, especially with Higbee coming on. White can't cover everyone. I cannot endorse a wager on the Bills this week unless Milano or Edmunds is a go. No way they'll be able to contain the Rams passing attack without them in the middle. I actually lean under

Here are Lex‘s thoughts just to add to the pile here. Thanks Lex.

@VirginiaCavs I posted a couple thoughts in the discussion thread.

As a Bills fan I agree, I think this game is going to be closely played. I said in week 1 the Bills 2nd corner is the weak link defensively, and that was before Milano & Edmunds got injured. If Goff can sit back with no pressure Woods/Higbee will get open. I'd hope the defense comes out much more physical than last week

Donald is a mismatch vs anyone, I just hope Allen plays smart. Bills have to get Singletary going if they want to keep that offense off the field.
Rams have been moving Goff with a lot of misdirection. If the Bills are shy in the secondary that's going to be an issue vs the Rams WR core. 4 legit WR's along with Higbee. Im interested to see how Darrell Henderson does. If he gets an opening he's a threat to take it to the house.
Can't wait for this one. GL!

Rams have been moving Goff with a lot of misdirection. If the Bills are shy in the secondary that's going to be an issue vs the Rams WR core. 4 legit WR's along with Higbee. Im interested to see how Darrell Henderson does. If he gets an opening he's a threat to take it to the house.
Can't wait for this one. GL!

laughable. Easily the best play of the week. Pay attention junior.

No need for any of this from either side, and the above two posts better be the end of it

We dont tolerate this kind of stuff, guys disagree on plays all the time, no need to get upset about it or come in after the fact and try and dunk on someone, will lead to some quick timeouts for whomever does it going forward

:shake:

Back