Ramble's CFB Week 4 (Update: Seth Adams listed as doubtful for Saturday)

RambleOn

The Law of Winning
Last week: 8-0 +10.5 units

YTD Sides/Totals: 15-4 (79%) +10 units

Amazing week last week. Everything just fell together on a card that I didn't really like that much to begin with. Also had 4 extra units on my Game of the Week Houston (3-0 on GOW's so far) that were unposted as well as 2 3 game parlays that hit as well. Wanted to remind everyone that although my record looks great, that is not including the 0-4 I was in Wk1 in parlays, teasers, and 1st Halves. The units are correct though: so in total my record would be 15-8 +10 units.

Onto this week:

Michigan St -13 (2 units)

Submitted my bet at -9.5 but alas, I couldn't catch it, and had to settle with 13. However, I don't see this as a problem. ND is god awful, as everyone knows. Weiss is not making ND watch the game footage of the ass-whooping at the Big House, and is starting from scratch today, re adding the offense and defense in a full practice today that will last 4 hours apparently. This is not going to be enough though - although the players for ND say they haven't given up - I think their is just no talent and not enough skill players to hang with MSU. This line is up to 14.5 now.

Central Fla -7 (1 unit):

Just a gut play here. UCF won @ Memphis last year 26-24, one of only two road wins and 1 of 4 wins of their 4-8 effort last year. UCF is obviously improved this year, as is evidenced by their taking Texas to the wire in a heartbreaking 32-35 loss at home. Let down here? Me thinks not - I think they take their frustration out on the Memphis Tigers.

Florida -23 (1 unit) and Florida -20.5 (2 units)

This is shaping up to be my GOW. Hit this line at -23 and it continued to drop. I have no idea why. Florida hung 59 at home to Tennessee and held Ainge and Co. to 20 friggin points. I think the line has value, because Florida's road SEC games last year don't look to warrant laying 3 TD's in Oxford. However, I believe our starting QB Seth Adams was hurt against Vanderbilt, meaning Shaeffer could start. And even if Adams does start, I know that Orgeron isn't scared of taking him out of the game and putting in friggin Shaeffer. This one is going to get ugly, folks. If Florida put 24 on Tennessee in the 4th quarter alone, I am scared to see what they do to Ole Miss.

Let's just look at the situation here. In '02 and '03, Ole Miss won this matchup 17-14, and 20-17, respectively. But guys, a LOT has changed since then. You may remember that Eli friggin Manning was our quarterback when we went to Florida and won 20-17. Now, Ole Miss is a shell of its former self.

The State of the Confederacy

Ole Miss is underperforming expectations this year, if that is possible. I said Ole Miss was a good dog bet if they were catching points in Week 1. When we came out as a favorite, I said I wouldn't lay the points but we'd still win. We did win, but did not cover the 3. (2nd half meltdown). Week 2, my GOW was on Mizzou -6. We failed to cover, again. Last week, I thought Vandy would beat us, but wanted to watch the game so I didn't bet it. We looked pretty awful.

Now, look at Florida. DESTROYED Western Kentucky. DESTROYED Troy. DESTROYED friggin Tennessee, by 39 points. Anyone get a chance to check out Tennessee's rushing stats for the game? Yes, that would be 21 rushes for 37 yards. Yes, 37. Too bad Ole Miss's only strength is the running game. Look for Florida's Defense, which took a hellatious hit from last year, so step up and shut down BenJarvus. To the passing game: Ainge was able to pass all over Florida (249 yards), but for only 1 touchdown and an interception to boot. We don't have a quarterback CLOSE to Ainge's talent level. Florida's D may look suspect, but they haven't given up the big play. As weird as it sounds, that is what has kept Ole Miss in games in the past - long passes during a let down in coverage. Other than Tenny's INT return against Fla, their longest scoring play was 15 yards. I think Seth Adams and/or Brent Shaeffer are going to have trouble passing on this defense which Blue Ribbon gave a C-, but that has been only allowing 18 ppg in the young year.

Finally, we are getting line value here for the sheer fact that Ole Miss has won this game the past two years, it's Florida's first road game, and its a SEC home dog. This is working to Florida's advantage. A team like Florida certainly doesn't lose to a team like us three straight times - and it's time for Florida to make a statement in Oxford. I will be SHOCKED if we score over 10 pts in this one - Florida should throw up 35 at minimum.

Florida: 41 Ole Miss: 13

Nebraska -21 (2 units):

Big 12 vs. the MAC matchup in which Ball St is seriously outmatched. This year so far, Ball St has relied on their passing attack to win games. However, when they head to Lincoln, don't expect it to continue. Although Nebraska's secondary was kind of suspect coming into the year, they have done a great job defending the pass: holding Nevada to 106 yards, Wake Forrest to 140, and USC to 144. Their run defense, ranked 37th in the nation last year, shouldn't have a problem stopping McQuale Lewis, who had been held to under 90 yards rushing a game until his breakout performance at Navy last week. He should come back to earth against the Huskers, who only allowed 70 yards to a similarly situated team in Nevada, beating them 52-10 at home. I'm expecting a similar performance against Ball St.

Georgia Tech -3 (-120) (1 unit)

Don't see a whole lot of people on this one, but it looks solid to me. Not going to go into great detail here, I simply think that Georgia Tech is a lot better than Virginia and should bounce back in this game - I don't expect them to lose two games in a row.

Baylor/Buffalo Over 52.5 (1 unit)

Buffalo's home opener, and they should be pumped up. Baylor's QB has been throwing well and has been allowing a good bit of passing yardage. I see this on in the high 50's to low 60's for some reason.

Will add more leans/ plays as I finalize them. :shake:

Last edited:
This is the thread I need to be checking out as you are on fire my friend. Best of luck in week 4, hope you keep it rollin!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">still seein 21 @ bookmaker so i'm pullin the trigger.. you know your rebels</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Grind Looks like it is going to settle at 21 from here on out. I told myself I would hammer this line, thinking it would be around 18-21. Didn't think we'd see such a high opener, because there are those that will take the points because it is an SEC home dog. I guess the line setteld where it should be, but there is still great value in laying only 3 TD's.

tailing you my friend... i need some help, and i love two of these plays already.

Keep up the good work!

Great job last week Ramble. Might have to tail you on the florida play. Keep it up man

Adding:

Nebraska -21 (2 units):

Big 12 vs. the MAC matchup in which Ball St is seriously outmatched. This year so far, Ball St has relied on their passing attack to win games. However, when they head to Lincoln, don't expect it to continue. Although Nebraska's secondary was kind of suspect coming into the year, they have done a great job defending the pass: holding Nevada to 106 yards, Wake Forrest to 140, and USC to 144. Their run defense, ranked 37th in the nation last year, shouldn't have a problem stopping McQuale Lewis, who had been held to under 90 yards rushing a game until his breakout performance at Navy last week. He should come back to earth against the Huskers, who only allowed 70 yards to a similarly situated team in Nevada, beating them 52-10 at home. I'm expecting a similar performance against Ball St.

I should have had an 8 team parlay last week but I missed out. Helped talk me off of playing mississippi rebels this week. great information and keep up the incredible win percentage, sir !

Vegas Thanks, buddy. Weeks like that don't come around very often, so I'll be thankful for it.

I don't think a play on the Rebels would be THAT bad, don't get me wrong. We are 0-3 ATS and what better time for us to get a cover than when we are getting 3 TD's from a team that we have beat the last two meetings, right?

I think there is great value in taking Ole Miss this weekend. However, I STILL don't think we'll cover. That's why I'm taking Florida.

Ramble, nice writeup on UF/Ole Miss. I am on UF -21 and feel pretty good about it. I lean to UCF, was looking for MSU-10, and have no opinion on Nebraska even though they should roll Ball St out of the stadium. GL

Aztec Thanks bro!

ETG Thanks man. I know Michigan St is high, and I have actually considered buying out of it. Doesn't ND have to show up some time? Then I remember the fact that ND hasn't scored an offensive TD this year.....YET! I will probably buy it down to a unit play and eat the juice.... .I haven't decided yet. The others I am loving at this point.

Gl this year.

not that i disagree with the Florida/miss analysis in any way, but under meyer, florida is 0-7 as an away fav. during the zook years they were not much better covering once to the tune of 1-5. combined 1-12 over the last 5 years.

I would in no way consider any other side than florida, but I am cautious. GL this week.

Confirmed:

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead colSpan=4>Mississippi Rebels | In-Depth </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2 width="17%">Player</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="3%"> </TD><TD class=datahl2 width="75%">Status/Updated</TD><TD class=datahl2 width="5%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Seth Adams </TD><TD class=datacell>QB</TD><TD class=datacell>Doub Sat - Shoulder - 9/17/07</TD><TD class=datacellc>notesHe injured his shoulder last game and will not practice this week and may not play in Week 4. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=datacell>Dexter McCluster </TD><TD class=datacell>WR</TD><TD class=datacell>Mid Oct - Shoulder - 9/12/07</TD><TD class=datacellc>notesSidelined with a shoulder injury and could miss up to six weeks. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guys, the cover is out of reach without Adams in, IMO. Brent Shaeffer is too wild and looked awful the couple of snaps he played against Vanderbilt, excpet the crazy TD pass he threw which looked like he just heaved it towards the end zone. LIke I said before, Florida has been good about not giving up the big play - and if they can stop Shaeffer's wild TD throws then this one getting ugly quick.

:shake:

Great write-up on the UF game. I know Hunt daddy loves it and I am close on it as well

Great week last week!

Slim - That is a crazy stat. 1 cover in 5 years on the road.....wow.

All the more reason to say that they are DUE for a road cover, hahhaa. Like I said above, I am that much more confident without Seth Adams behind center.

BAR Thanks, buddy. I know lots of people are wary of laying the points, as they should be. Hell, I had no idea Florida had only covered ONE away favorite line the last 5 friggin years. However, with Seth Adams listed as doubtful, I am pretty confident we don't cover 21.

:shake:

very true, without adams that helps out the fla backers alot.

that stat is courtesy of the phil steele bible. next year I may have to get two copies as this one is about worn out.

Interesting that this line hasn't risen due to this injury, or maybe it is just not out among the masses yet.

RambleOn,

If Schaeffer is starting, I will probably be against you on this one...strange things seem to happen when these big dogs come to Oxford as the Rebels almost always compete. The QB change could potentially ignite something in Ole Miss, and it is hard to prepare for a player/offense when you don't have much on him from this year. Florida is coming off a big win where the final score is very deceiving, and they're a young team who could mentally not prepare for this game like they should.

I think the Gators are definitely the best team in the East, but you can't deny the fact this is a terrible spot for them. I could see the Rebs playing well (for atleast one game) with Schaeffer under center and keeping this one relatively close.

Lindetrain Trust me, I know about Ole Miss as big dogs in Oxford. We seem to play big teams close, when we have no reason to be hanging with them. However, you have to understand the state of this team right now. There is no offensive identity, our defense hasn't found a leader, and Oregeron is playing like we're 0-8 already (going for it on 4th down at least half the time). You must also remember that when we covered those big spreads, we usually had a QB behind center. We don't have one this week. Brent Shaeffer slacked off during the summer and I don't think he is ready to start against Florida, bottom line. Good luck in whatever you chose...... this is not the greatest spot for Florida, but a worse spot for Ole Miss. :shake:

Florida line up to -23.5 now.

Last two additions:

Georgia Tech -3 (-120) (1 unit)

Don't see a whole lot of people on this one, but it looks solid to me. Not going to go into great detail here, I simply think that Georgia Tech is a lot better than Virginia and should bounce back in this game - I don't expect them to lose two games in a row.

Baylor/Buffalo Over 52.5 (1 unit)

Buffalo's home opener, and they should be pumped up. Baylor's QB has been throwing well and has been allowing a good bit of passing yardage. I see this on in the high 50's to low 60's for some reason.

GL Ramble - I don't really know much about NMST and really was a fading Auburn more so than anything. With all the turmoil going on with Auburn, especially at QB I just can't see any consistency being developed. NMST offense will spread out the Tigers and take away from their strength on the D-Line and attack an already depleted Auburn secondary. Backdoor opportunity there if Auburn can score today.

Bad start for FLA, but they are stepping up now.

I feel like I capped the game perfectly. Like I said, Florida is shutting down benjarvus and making the rebs go to the pass. Moreover, EVERY bounce and call is going Ole Miss's way. Over 10 penalties for Florida, along with 3 near interceptions and a near fumble recover, and Florida is STILL up 18 and Ole Miss STILL hasn't gotten a TD. We'll see what happens, but regardless, I'll stand by my play. :shake:

Another drive that starts on the opponent 40 because of penalties, for my REbs. And now a TD. Game is over cover wise, Florida gave it away. :shake:

Okay, that game is behind me. It was a horrible spot for Florida, and I will concede that I shouldn't have made it as big a play as I did. Props to the Rebs, but we knew Florida couldn't cover this looking at history alone.

LSU/South Carolina UNDER 45.5 (5 units)

Guess you can call this a semi-chase. I loved this under, but then read Rex's thread and saw that there is almost a 100% chance of very bad weather. With LSU's already tenacious D, this should help keep the game plan simple and keep points to a minimum. Biggest play of the week, and if I go down, I go down. :shake:

Back