Raiders send a Letter to UT regarding Kiffen

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
Full text here
http://www.cbssports.com/images/nfl/raiderskiffinletter.pdf

Excerpts from the letter to the University of Tennessee

On Kiffin's knowledge of Raiders history: During the interview process Mr. Kiffin professed to know about the history and tradition of the Raiders, espoused it and said that he believed in it. ... Yet, Mr. Kiffin's proclamations that he believed these things could not have been further from the truth. Mr. Kiffin was found to be someone who broke NFL rules and made false statements that mislead the media, Raider fans, and the entire team.

On Kiffin's UT press conference: At the press conference that announced the hiring of Mr. Kiffin, Mr. Kiffin and your athletic director went out of their way to laugh at the Raiders, and referred to the team as "dysfunctional" and always in a state of crisis. It is our view that any such dysfunction was brought about by Mr. Kiffin during his period of time with the Raiders.

On Kiffin's termination from the Raiders: Mr. Kiffin's termination followed two written warnings and several verbal admonitions that he was in breach of his contract and must comply with the terms of that agreement and the NFL Constitution and By-Laws. Mr. Kiffin repeatedly failed to do so during his tenure with the Raiders and was terminated as a result of his multiple violations of his contract and continued insubordination.

On Kiffin's loyalty to the Raiders: It is also quite possible that during the period of time for which Mr. Kiffin is seeking compensation from the Raiders he was also actively supplying information about the team to its opponents.

the raiders sucked long before Kiffin got the job, they need to get rid of Al and maybe they can start turning it around again.

the raiders sucked long before Kiffin got the job, they need to get rid of Al and maybe they can start turning it around again.

Genius, the Raiders were last in the Superbowl during the 2002 season...better than 21 other franchisees....:tiphat:

I guess by your intelligent take there are a ton of terrible NFL teams, huh?

On Kiffin's loyalty to the Raiders: It is also quite possible that during the period of time for which Mr. Kiffin is seeking compensation from the Raiders he was also actively supplying information about the team to its opponents.

wow at that one

If that one is true and he was supplying info to opponents, he's a piece of shit and NO team should ever hire him. That's some Benedict Arnold shit.

in everything hes done, kifflin seems like a shady fuck. i bet there is a shit load of stuff bout him the public doesnt know too

Kiffin said all the right things to Mr. Davis during the interview process about wanting to be the Raiders HC...then after a 4-12 season when Mr. Davis would not give him full control (i.e. firing Rob Ryan as DC and hiring his daddy) Kiffin went on a crusade to get himself fired.
I believe the Raiders documented all of his actions...some of which we see detailed in this letter.
Kiffin hoped to collect his $$$ while being free to search for a college gig. His actions since signing with Tennessee just reinforce the Raiders position...that he's an immature POS (not to mention a shitty HC).

Mully :cheers:

mulligan, your seriously a hateful person

Bro, I've been a Raider fan for 20+ years...Lane Kiffin tried to destroy the Raiders from within...I have no problem hating on the POS.

And, I've ALWAYS respected UT...in fact, as I've discussed over and over again...my big issue is that Kiffin has done NOTHING to deserve one of the best HC jobs in college.

Sorry you can't separate my hate for the man from my RESPECT for the university.

The best example of Lance Kiffen being disliked is when someone asked Gibril Wilson (tennessee alum) last year if he thought Kiffen would be successful at Tennessee and all he gave was a :down2:

Bro, I've been a Raider fan for 20+ years...Lane Kiffin tried to destroy the Raiders from within...I have no problem hating on the POS.

And, I've ALWAYS respected UT...in fact, as I've discussed over and over again...my big issue is that Kiffin has done NOTHING to deserve one of the best HC jobs in college.

Sorry you can't separate my hate for the man from my RESPECT for the university.

you have to be a Raider Fan to understand :cheers:

fwiw, I went to high school with Lane Kiffin. He is/was a great kid, and took that Raiders opportunity because NOONE else wanted it. He got wrapped up in Al's firestorm, and NOONE still wants that job. Tom Cable is just a puppet in a regime, imo. If anyone thinks Kiffin is in the wrong here, you've got your facts mixed up.

And surrounding yourself with a nationally-renound recruiter (Ed Orgeron), and your dad as the D-Coordinator, Lane will do just fine at UT.

fwiw, I went to high school with Lane Kiffin. He is/was a great kid, and took that Raiders opportunity because NOONE else wanted it. He got wrapped up in Al's firestorm, and NOONE still wants that job. Tom Cable is just a puppet in a regime, imo. If anyone thinks Kiffin is in the wrong here, you've got your facts mixed up.

And surrounding yourself with a nationally-renound recruiter (Ed Orgeron), and your dad as the D-Coordinator, Lane will do just fine at UT.

Oh shit, you went to school with Kiffin?

My mistake, I apologize for everything bad I've ever said about the man.

Your "straight from BSPN" views must be correct...hell, myself and many others on here who read numerous Raider related boards and articles daily defer to your opinion.

:36_11_6:

Look guys, I could give a f*ck about Lane Kiffin (the Raiders have moved on)...if y'all want to discount everything loyal Raider fans and players say about the situation, cool. If y'all want to ignore his terrible record as an NFL HC and blame Mr. Davis, cool. If y'all want to ignore his lack of coaching experience at the CFB level and proclaim him a winner and deserving of UT's HC position, cool.

But there is no doing OK @ UT...MFer needs to contend for SEC championships ASAP...we'll see if he can achieve that.

Last edited:
Seriosuly, everything you say Mully is so backhanded. Kinda morbid.

I get it, I hate Bonds like you hate Kiffin, but I don't shit on every single person who trys to defend Bonds to me.

I just don't get it.

Seriosuly, everything you say Mully is so backhanded. Kinda morbid.

I get it, I hate Bonds like you hate Kiffin, but I don't shit on every single person who trys to defend Bonds to me.

I just don't get it.

Bro, what have I said that isn't based on documented facts?

You think saying "I went to school with the guy...he's a good guy...it has to be all Al Davis' fault"...is a valid take?

Is an opinion based on documented facts not valid anymore but one based on BS is?

Look guys, I could give a f*ck about Lane Kiffin (the Raiders have moved on)...if y'all want to discount everything loyal Raider fans and players say about the situation, cool. If y'all want to ignore his terrible record as an NFL HC and blame Mr. Davis, cool. If y'all want to ignore his lack of coaching experience at the CFB level and proclaim him a winner and deserving of UT's HC position, cool.

Bro, it's all good. The simple truth is that I hold SEC football to a HIGH STANDARD and believe Kiffin didn't deserve a sniff of UT's HC job.

There is no doing OK @ UT...Kiffin needs to contend for SEC championships ASAP...we'll see if he can achieve that. The proof will be on the field........:shake:

Bro, what have I said that isn't based on documented facts?

You think saying "I went to school with the guy...he's a good guy...it has to be all Al Davis' fault"...is a valid take?

Is an opinion based on documented facts not valid anymore but one based on BS is?

Wow, Mully, not trying to stir the pot with you, and sorry if my opinion upset you, it seems I've struck a chord with you. Don't take my "I went to high school with him" out of context. He's 33 now, as am I, and high school was 15 years ago. All I'm saying as that I'd be hard-pressed, knowing him and his dad, that the debacle with the Raiders should be squarely pinned on him and the "Kiffin is such a fucking prick" chants in this thread aren't 100% warranted.

That being said, my opinion is based on one thing: perception is reality, facts or not!

Does anyone really fucking want to coach for Al Davis right now? Don't give me the "Tom Cable was our guy all along" bullshit. Take off your Raider shoes for one moment and realize that maybe AL is the source of the problem here.

That being said, my opinion is based on one thing: perception is reality, facts or not!

Does anyone really fucking want to coach for Al Davis right now? Don't give me the .

110% correct

Nope, its the reason Cable got to keep the job.

Wow, Mully, not trying to stir the pot with you, and sorry if my opinion upset you, it seems I've struck a chord with you. Don't take my "I went to high school with him" out of context. He's 33 now, as am I, and high school was 15 years ago. All I'm saying as that I'd be hard-pressed, knowing him and his dad, that the debacle with the Raiders should be squarely pinned on him and the "Kiffin is such a fucking prick" chants in this thread aren't 100% warranted.

Does anyone really fucking want to coach for Al Davis right now? Don't give me the "Tom Cable was our guy all along" bullshit. Take off your Raider shoes for one moment and realize that maybe AL is the source of the problem here.

You discounted our opinions off-hand without looking at any facts...that gets me fired up....:shake:
Just to let you know where I'm coming from...when Kiffin was fired I was upset believing what y'all still believe about the situation.
After hearing numerous credible sources (players, Raiders beat writers...who dislike AD) and seeing the Raiders accusations during the deposition...I believe the facts.
But nothing that happened with the Raiders can hide the fact that Lane Kiffin has achieved very little in football. (Save for being Monte Kiffin's son.)
Does recruiting @ USC, being a Co-OC @ USC, having a 5-15 record as HC in Oakland show success worthy of one of the best HC jobs in the SEC?

C'mon guys, compare Lane Kiffin's resume to Meyer, Saban, The Hat, Richt...teams UT expects to compete with. Hell, compare his resume to Spurrier, Petrino, Nutt or even Rich Brooks and Dan Mullen...before they were SEC HCs.

As to Cable...he had a great run with a young team that was demoralized from the Davis/Kiffin feud toward the end of the season. Y'all better be in here kissing Mr. Davis' ass if they are .500 or better.

Last edited:
You discounted our opinions off-hand without looking at any facts...that gets me fired up....:shake:
Just to let you know where I'm coming from...when Kiffin was fired I was upset believing what y'all still believe about the situation.
After hearing numerous credible sources (players, Raiders beat writers...who dislike AD) and seeing the Raiders accusations during the deposition...I believe the facts.
But nothing that happened with the Raiders can hide the fact that Lane Kiffin has achieved very little in football. (Save for being Monte Kiffin's son.)
Does recruiting @ USC, being a Co-OC @ USC, having a 5-15 record as HC in Oakland show success worthy of one of the best HC jobs in the SEC?

C'mon guys, compare Lane Kiffin's resume to Meyer, Saban, The Hat, Richt...teams UT expects to compete with. Hell, compare his resume to Spurrier, Petrino, Nutt or even Rich Brooks and Dan Mullen...before they were SEC HCs.

As to Cable...he had a great run with a young team that was demoralized from the Davis/Kiffin feud toward the end of the season. Y'all better be in here kissing Mr. Davis' ass if they are .500 or better.

Mully I think you would be "labeled" in a bad way as well if your boss was Al Davis. Kiffin is 33 years old, his career in coaching is just getting started, to say he hasn't achieved anything is nonsense. Now if he goes to UT and puts up subpar performances in the first 3 years then maybe he deserves some of the ridicule he has recieved so far.

The raiders won't be shit until Davis either sells the team or dies. I apologize if I offend you, but JR will not lead your team to the SB title. Sound's kinda fishy huh? Especially cuz he so young right? Well think about what you just wrote about Kiffen.

Mully I think you would be "labeled" in a bad way as well if your boss was Al Davis. Kiffin is 33 years old, his career in coaching is just getting started, to say he hasn't achieved anything is nonsense. Now if he goes to UT and puts up subpar performances in the first 3 years then maybe he deserves some of the ridicule he has recieved so far.

The raiders won't be shit until Davis either sells the team or dies. I apologize if I offend you, but JR will not lead your team to the SB title. Sound's kinda fishy huh? Especially cuz he so young right? Well think about what you just wrote about Kiffen.

C'mon guys, compare Lane Kiffin's resume to Meyer, Saban, The Hat, Richt...teams UT expects to compete with. Hell, compare his resume to Spurrier, Petrino, Nutt or even Rich Brooks and Dan Mullen...before they were SEC HCs. Then tell me with a straight face Kiffin deserved Tennessee HC position...

Marlo, IMO your circular logic is weak...comparing a 23 year old QB with one year playing experience to Tennessee's 33 year old pick for HC really makes sense to you?
I know you're young but you do realize the Raiders were last in the SB before 21 other NFL franchisees...and despite that FACT...you denigrate Al Davis based on what, your perception via ESPN?

And explain to me what Kiffin has achieved. I listed his accomplishments: Good recruiter (for the best program in the US which also happens to be in Southern California)...Co-OC (but non-playcaller...as Sark called USC's plays)...5-15 record as NFL HC...where the hell are his accomplishments?

Look, I've explained this ad nauseum...the SEC is the BEST CFB has to offer...every HC currently in the SEC had more experience and success than Kiffin BEFORE they were hired...yet he deserves one of the best HC jobs in the league?

If y'all can find sense in UT hiring Kiffin then I cannot have a sensible debate with you.

Something else y'all need to THINK about...the Raiders job is the best in the NFL...if you're HC and fail, just blame it on AD (Kiffin)...if you succeed (despite AD) you're a genius (Gruden).

Fair enough, Mully, and you're certainly closer to the Raiders situation than I am. From afar, it just seems so far-fetched for a team to have a deposition, have a press conference (Al Davis last year), and send a letter to a future employer regarding a coach. I mean, name another time a team/owner has gone to that extent?

Again, from afar, Tom Cable was promoted from within when the Raiders have sucked for the last 3+ years (really since Gruden left). Regardless of what you think his worth is, he is the HC by default. And yes, that is my OPINION, and its not based on fact.

As long as we're on the subject of opinion, this thread has referenced "facts" (e.g. from Raider players, coaches, beat writers), when really that is still all OPINION. It is a game of he said, she said until proven otherwise by the Raider organization.

As for Lane landing the Raider job and "saying all the right things" ? Maybe true, but if Lane was bullshitting Al Davis, shame on Mr. Davis and his 20+ years of experience in the NFL for hiring a "kid" that sold him in the interview.

As for Lane's coaching resume, I somewhat agree, but he WAS given a lot of credit for the USC recruiting, and was given a ton of credit for the offenses under his direction and playcalling while there. You might say he's not worthy of an SEC coaching spot, but this type of thing seems like the trend these days (see Mike Tomlin) (and imo, Josh McDaniel is plenty underqualified to be a head coach in the NFL, but he's a 30-something that doesn't have a book out yet).

Again, Mully, no hard feelings, but outside the Raider "bubble" I'm not ready to place blame on Lane just yet.

:shake:

Fair enough, Mully, and you're certainly closer to the Raiders situation than I am. From afar, it just seems so far-fetched for a team to have a deposition, have a press conference (Al Davis last year), and send a letter to a future employer regarding a coach. I mean, name another time a team/owner has gone to that extent?

Again, from afar, Tom Cable was promoted from within when the Raiders have sucked for the last 3+ years (really since Gruden left). Regardless of what you think his worth is, he is the HC by default. And yes, that is my OPINION, and its not based on fact.

As long as we're on the subject of opinion, this thread has referenced "facts" (e.g. from Raider players, coaches, beat writers), when really that is still all OPINION. It is a game of he said, she said until proven otherwise by the Raider organization.

As for Lane landing the Raider job and "saying all the right things" ? Maybe true, but if Lane was bullshitting Al Davis, shame on Mr. Davis and his 20+ years of experience in the NFL for hiring a "kid" that sold him in the interview.

As for Lane's coaching resume, I somewhat agree, but he WAS given a lot of credit for the USC recruiting, and was given a ton of credit for the offenses under his direction and playcalling while there. You might say he's not worthy of an SEC coaching spot, but this type of thing seems like the trend these days (see Mike Tomlin) (and imo, Josh McDaniel is plenty underqualified to be a head coach in the NFL, but he's a 30-something that doesn't have a book out yet).

Again, Mully, no hard feelings, but outside the Raider "bubble" I'm not ready to place blame on Lane just yet.

:shake:

Good post.

Raiders have sucked for SIX years, though...and Kiffin never called USC's plays...Sarkisian did.
Kiffin wants $4M...Raiders will give him $0M...thus the deposition.
What the NFL does (Tomlin, McDaniel) is for entertainment value...I agree with your opinion here...I just hold SEC football in higher esteem than the NFL.

It'll all be decided on SEC ball fields come Fall......:cheers:

Mully :shake:

Agree on the SEC bit, as maybe Kiff should be more like a MWC coach or similar and then be promoted, but they probably gave him the chance since he has/had the ability to surround himself with good coaches/recruiters.

I personally don't mind him stirring the pot at UT a little...

:cheers:

Marlo, IMO your circular logic is weak...comparing a 23 year old QB with one year playing experience to Tennessee's 33 year old pick for HC really makes sense to you?
I know you're young but you do realize the Raiders were last in the SB before 21 other NFL franchisees...and despite that FACT...you denigrate Al Davis based on what, your perception via ESPN?

If y'all can find sense in UT hiring Kiffin then I cannot have a sensible debate with you.

Something else y'all need to THINK about...the Raiders job is the best in the NFL...if you're HC and fail, just blame it on AD (Kiffin)...if you succeed (despite AD) you're a genius (Gruden).

I'm not that young, I just don't act old Mully.

To be honest I'm not up on my Raiders history. I will believe exactly what I hear and see with my own eyes regarding Al Davis. I think he old, stupid and crazy, again thats my opinion.

Regards to the UT hiring, why not give the kid a chance. He comes from great football background USC & his own father is one of the inventors of one the best defensive schemes there is. Also that old coach was there for how long? Lane Kiffen is exactly what they needed to compete for recruiting in the SEC, now he just needs to conquer the X & O's. Comparing a 5-15 record at Oakland doesnt give him justice, he started coaching them at the bottom, and to give you some credit JM hadn't even begun to develop yet...will he I highly doubt it, but Kiffen was never given the chance to find out

If you think Al is old stupid and crazy read the story in the Raider offseason thread, which is probly the first time in 10+ years an unbiased story has been written about him.

Saying he hired Kiffen because he was the only one who wanted the job is a joke, Al has always loved to hire the young coaches who will work their asses off to get the job done. John Madden, John Gruden etc.

And if you want an actual opinion on Kiffen read some of Jerry Mcdonalds stuff at http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/ he is the beat writer for one of the local papers and has called Davis out on all of the boneheaded moves he has made over the past 8 years. But even he realizes that Kiffen was a fraud.

haha...MODS please change my avatar title back
icon14.gif

Mully :shake:

Agree on the SEC bit, as maybe Kiff should be more like a MWC coach or similar and then be promoted, but they probably gave him the chance since he has/had the ability to surround himself with good coaches/recruiters.

I personally don't mind him stirring the pot at UT a little...

:cheers:

Now I'm FIRED up. :36_11_6:

2-0 against that pussy conference last year. Maybe if he does well at UT he can get promoted to a nice MWC gig. :36_11_6:

Back