Raiders at Rams

wiseplayer

Pretty much a regular
Listening to McVay as much as I do, I know of 1 thing. He'll tip his hand if he plans on holding back. He's very cautious of keeping his aging LT healthy. Pro Bowl Whitworth is by no means fragile but the depth is questionable if he goes down. If the game is meaningless, then its meaningless to have him on the field. What's my point? If Whitworth is not on the field, nor will Goff or Gurley be on the field. LG Saffold is more brittle so he'll see limited action also. Sullivan our starter center is also aging and has battled injury so he'll see limited time if any.
There's 2 issues going into this Raider game. 1. Rams have shit the bed their last 3 games. Playoff loss sandwiched between 2 games McVay benched his starters. He's torn this preseason home opener. Why? See 2.
2. Raiders are the Rams season opener opponent.
McVay said this week is a little tricky because of this. He wants to showcase to the fans but at the same time, why give Gruden any film?
My opinion so far is, the players are going to push McVay to let the starters play. McVay will give in and let them go 1 qtr until he pulls the plug. I expect small and big from the starting offense. Standard running plays, short dump offs and big strikes over the top on go routes. Nothing fancy.
I will know more next week as I keep listening to McVays presser. Stay tuned. We might be seeing a coach who does not like preseason.

You got it Bar. I have a gut feeling Rams want to unload a whoopin for the home crowd, while Gruden coming off a win won't mind getting whipped. It'll be a great motivational card he'll use for the season opener in front of Raider Nation.

I think its interesting how the NFLX lines are out for next week but the Rams are still off the board.

Vanilla from both sides.

Hearing Rams and Aaron Donald should be closer to signing a deal this week. Announcement should alleviate whatever happens in this preseason game.

Stadium should be filled with fans from both teams. Maybe Over as Rams back up QB looks to rebound from a poor performance in Baltimore. Connor Cook looked decent against the Lions, then again it’s the Lions (sorry @B.A.R.)

Gruden has pretty good preseason history doesn’t he? Mcvay is quickly becoming one my fav coaches and strikes me as a guy who has no interest in preseason. Especially against week 1 opponent. Does seem like a good spot to get Goff to hook up deep w new toy tho! Maybe 1st half over?

Bee, Rams backup QB has been horrible and I dont see it improving. After him it gets worse. Mannion has lost all confidence after his week 17 performance last year.

McVay sounded as if the starters aren't going again this week. He'll announce what he's doing after Thursday. He said there are many levels to this. Meaning, his aging oline does not need to play meaningless games.
I'll tell you 1 thing, the Rams QBs after Goff aren't any good. They have a 4th string QB Perez who I'd really like to see. He reminds me of Kurt Warner from a standpoint that he has ability but is being overlooked because he's undrafted.
I understand it but don't like this tentative approach we're taking not playing our starters.

Still waiting to hear what McVay is doing tomorrow but I'm sensing more of the same thing as last week. The depth of this team has not performed well but they are at home vs a Raider team that doesn't want to reveal anything either.
Stay tuned

Bee, Rams backup QB has been horrible and I dont see it improving. After him it gets worse. Mannion has lost all confidence after his week 17 performance last year.

Yup. Heard on AM 570 about a hour ago Vinny Von Senor (sp?) that McVay don’t want to take no chances with injuries. They definitely are looking to find a solid #2 as they are losing faith in Mannion. So with that said, we should see a bunch of scrubs playing for the Rams and if Mannion stinks it up again, should see guys behind him get a chance.

This game is too hard to figure out. Rams offense has shown to be anemic with the group they're putting out their today. Don't know what the Raiders are going to bring either

Back