Quick Rant

• Thread starter Thread starter dudleysdad
  • Start date Start date
D

dudleysdad

I am sure this was discussed in the in game yesterday but I wasnt around. So first off, I had no horse in the race to cloud my judgement involving the Flor/Uga game.
Can someone tell me why UGA did not put 8 or 9 in the box and single up the WR's for Florida b/c it was easy to see after a series or two that FLA was going to run a pee wee offense regardless of the down and distance. Make the frosh QB beat you through the air one time?
Now that is only a small thing from the moron Mark Richt. UGA scores a TD with 12:30 to play in the game making the score FLA 31- UGA 13. Now yes this can be debated all day but I strongly believe I am right lol. You kick the PAT making it a 17 pt game.
What do you think is easier when down 31-13 with 12:30 left?
A. PAT then 2 td's, 2 pat's and a FG in any order or

B. convert the 2pt conversion, then score a td make another 2pt then score another td and make a 2 pt conv??
all this as an attempt to tie the game, assuming you can stop florida's pee wee offense

yes they miss the 2pt conversion, fast forward to UGA has now a 4th and goal from the FLA 3 yd line with 5:20 to play in the game.. So your job as a coach is to keep your team in the game as long as possible right? no not Richt, He should know that he is down 18 and needs 3 scores. So instead of taking the one score(a FG). He decides to go for it to basically say, well if we do not get this the game is OVER. If you kick the 3, you kep your team alive even though its a long shot. So instead of being down 15 pts where anything can happen, you go for it and miss and END THE GAME.
I get riled up watching these clowns get paid more money than I can dream of and be sitting on my couch knowing I am smarter football wise than them lol. irks the shit outta me.

end rant

Yeah Dudley, wtf was Richt doing? I can understand, and forgive him for going for 2 when they were down 24 and scored to make it an 18 point game...as you can, as you said, score 2 more TDs with 2pt conversions to tie the game if you get that 2pt conversion. It's not the most black and white decision, since as you said, they could have just kicked the XP and made it a 17 point game...so he can get a reprieve there. BUT, when you're now down 18 and need a FG in there somewhere to have any chance at tying the game up, there is NO excuse not to kick the FG when they chose to go for it on 4th down. It's just a horrible decision that anyone who understands basic math should never make.

And the morons announcing the game, Gary Danielson I believe said at the time, this is the right move. Going for it!
Didn't even question the call

I am sure this was discussed in the in game yesterday but I wasnt around. So first off, I had no horse in the race to cloud my judgement involving the Flor/Uga game.
Can someone tell me why UGA did not put 8 or 9 in the box and single up the WR's for Florida b/c it was easy to see after a series or two that FLA was going to run a pee wee offense regardless of the down and distance. Make the frosh QB beat you through the air one time?
Now that is only a small thing from the moron Mark Richt. UGA scores a TD with 12:30 to play in the game making the score FLA 31- UGA 13. Now yes this can be debated all day but I strongly believe I am right lol. You kick the PAT making it a 17 pt game.
What do you think is easier when down 31-13 with 12:30 left?
A. PAT then 2 td's, 2 pat's and a FG in any order or

B. convert the 2pt conversion, then score a td make another 2pt then score another td and make a 2 pt conv??
all this as an attempt to tie the game, assuming you can stop florida's pee wee offense

yes they miss the 2pt conversion, fast forward to UGA has now a 4th and goal from the FLA 3 yd line with 5:20 to play in the game.. So your job as a coach is to keep your team in the game as long as possible right? no not Richt, He should know that he is down 18 and needs 3 scores. So instead of taking the one score(a FG). He decides to go for it to basically say, well if we do not get this the game is OVER. If you kick the 3, you kep your team alive even though its a long shot. So instead of being down 15 pts where anything can happen, you go for it and miss and END THE GAME.
I get riled up watching these clowns get paid more money than I can dream of and be sitting on my couch knowing I am smarter football wise than them lol. irks the shit outta me.

end rant

well said!! Richt was doing his normal job of finding a way to lose and lose me a bunch of coin

GL this wk

on 4th and goal at the 3, it's probably still a slight mathematical edge to go for the touchdown down by 18. You never know when you're going to get back down there. Kicking a field goal turns it into a 2-score game, but it's still two touchdowns. If you don't get it, you're basically beat as you guys say, but even if you cut it to 15, you're still a longshot. By scoring to cut it to 11, you can still tie the game with a field goal and 8 points in two more later possessions, the last one in which the clock, timeouts, and/or UF's playcalling certainly would all come into play.

On 4th and goal at the 5 or further, the field goal is probably right. I'd say at the 3, you can still run or pass, so going for it wasn't the wrong call.

:shake:

on 4th and goal at the 3, it's probably still a slight mathematical edge to go for the touchdown down by 18. You never know when you're going to get back down there. Kicking a field goal turns it into a 2-score game, but it's still two touchdowns. If you don't get it, you're basically beat as you guys say, but even if you cut it to 15, you're still a longshot. By scoring to cut it to 11, you can still tie the game with a field goal and 8 points in two more later possessions, the last one in which the clock, timeouts, and/or UF's playcalling certainly would all come into play.

On 4th and goal at the 5 or further, the field goal is probably right. I'd say at the 3, you can still run or pass, so going for it wasn't the wrong call.

we can disagree but my thing is you want to have a chance to win or tie up until the clock shows 0.00.
How many jump ball hail mary's were completed this year? A handful for sure. By not getting the TD there, you end the game with over 5 minutes left. Kick the FG and you can use the ole "so your telling me there's chance" line. Yes, down 15 with 5 to play is in miracle territory but has been done.

Would you have kicked a field goal at the 1 yard line? How about the 2?

The chance of converting a 2 point conversion in college football is 40%. This was basically a 2 point conversion. At 40% success I would have kicked the FG because I believe UGAs offense actually had a better likelihood of scoring by breaking a long play. It's tough to score against an elite defense from inside the 5. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer here but I would have kicked the FG to make it a 2 score game. I'm a big believer in keeping yourself in the game for as long as you can.

Dudley awfully fired up about this for someone with no coin on the game haha.

I agree with Rexy here, it is alot easier to get that needed TD when on the 5 then it may be when starting from your own 20-30. You are 5 yards away, and if you can't get it you don't deserve to win or be in the game. Richt stopped giving his chance to win with their gameplan, and the fact they were down 30-7.

Agree with Wade here, dumb decision and I had no skin in it either. Mark Richt is the coach you keep around if you want to win 9 games every year and never compete for a national title because he will figure out a way to fuck up at least 1 game a season to put you out of the conversation.

the math dictates going for it at the 1 and the 2, of that i am 100 percent sure.

At the 3 it becomes a bit more blurry.

I don't care particularly much for the whole "stay in the game as long as you can" rah-rah type shit. I care more about what the percentages are. I for sure know going for it at the 1 or is the proper call; and i think going for it at the 3 is as well.

U don't get the Td game over.
U kick the fg, ur still alive.
Simple to me.
And yes young gun it fires me up cuz I used to coach at the HS level and see some of these bonehead moves by 5 mill a yr head coaches it annoys me.
Here is a story I was OC in the booth. We score a td with 3 min left to put us up 7, pending PAT. Our HC says we are.going for 2 to "end this game", I am losing it on the headset to him like u kick the pat. Put us up 8, make them score a td and get a 2pt to tie us. I was livid. We don't get the 2pt and stay up 7. Opponent drives inside the 10 and luckily we stop them. Anyway, HC apologizes after game, was caught in the moment. Guess richt gave me some flashbacks.

wade, your argument about some idiot wanting to ignore the book and go for 2 up by 7 has 0 to do with my point, which was MATH dictates that you go for it there. Staying the game is another emotional, old wives' tale that old-school coaches (if you are one, no offense) use to justify conservative play calling and to save their asses. Most anyone who has a basic knowledge of the sabermetrics behind that sort of decision-making in football knows that you definitely have an edge going for it from the 1 or 2, regardless of whether you make it or not.

There are many places on twitter and many books you can buy that have a large enough of a sample size in numbers to prove what i just said is correct. Take emotion out of it. There are certain decisions you make, without failure, when you are up or down 'x' amount of points with 'y' amount of time/possible possessions left. Obviously you can deviate from that slightly if, as the chief decision maker/head coach you have seen enough to believe whether your defense can stop the other team or not, but that's all subjective. Objectively, inside the 3 you for sure go for it, and outside the 4 you probably kick, all things equal.

31-15 is so much different from 31-14 it's wild to me that we're even debating this
Who is debating that?
I said it could be argued either way and guess what Warner? It ended up being 31-13, missed the 2.
So wild....

wade, your argument about some idiot wanting to ignore the book and go for 2 up by 7 has 0 to do with my point, which was MATH dictates that you go for it there. Staying the game is another emotional, old wives' tale that old-school coaches (if you are one, no offense) use to justify conservative play calling and to save their asses. Most anyone who has a basic knowledge of the sabermetrics behind that sort of decision-making in football knows that you definitely have an edge going for it from the 1 or 2, regardless of whether you make it or not.

There are many places on twitter and many books you can buy that have a large enough of a sample size in numbers to prove what i just said is correct. Take emotion out of it. There are certain decisions you make, without failure, when you are up or down 'x' amount of points with 'y' amount of time/possible possessions left. Obviously you can deviate from that slightly if, as the chief decision maker/head coach you have seen enough to believe whether your defense can stop the other team or not, but that's all subjective. Objectively, inside the 3 you for sure go for it, and outside the 4 you probably kick, all things equal.

We are just not going to agree here. No problem.
I don't call it conservative old school to keep my team in the game until the final whistle.

The first point in my rant is something no one touched on. Why don't u put 9 in the box and attempt to have fla try a pass?

the goal isn't to stay alive, the goal is to win the game. Let's be honest, none of us have done the math or looked at the last ten years of games to know what the right decision is.

the goal isn't to stay alive, the goal is to win the game. Let's be honest, none of us have done the math or looked at the last ten years of games to know what the right decision is.

Well ur not winning the game by not cutting it to two score game at that point

Back