Question I have regarding betting baseball?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

I seriously don't understand how anyone could follow the sport closely and not make money?

Is it bad money mgmt?
Betting too many faves?
Is it the everyday grind of the season?

I'm not being cocky when I say this either, in fact those who know me can vouch that I'm one of the more humble people on the forums.

But again, it just doesn't make sense to me.

You have to be really smart to make money betting bases. By the way, nice ROI this season, bro. Cheers!

:cheers:

I seriously don't understand how anyone could follow the sport closely and not make money?

Is it bad money mgmt?
Betting too many faves?
Is it the everyday grind of the season?

I'm not being cocky when I say this either, in fact those who know me can vouch that I'm one of the more humble people on the forums.

But again, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I can certainly vouch for U being a very humble and very knowledgeable capper and one of the Best all around on any forum!!
As far as the reason, probably some of all of the above...but imho, its the inability of the avg capper to lay the heavy juice where needed and lay off of the heavy underdog because of the perceived ''value''

Keep up the good work Gyno

Hopefully this isn't the ultimate jinx thread

This isn't the first time I've started a thread like this, started a similar one years ago. This is something I say every year. Didn't hurt me then and most definitely wont hurt me now.

Like I said I'm very humble, but honest. You are negative.

Cause watching baseball sucks

maybe you're right.. I don't watch much baseball, I do however like to watch the last few innings of games sometimes. I also like to watch a few innings of new pitchers.. For example I watched Cozart (astros) and was extremely impressed.. I watch everyone of his games now and I just think this kid is great.

You have to be really smart to make money betting bases. By the way, nice ROI this season, bro. Cheers!

:cheers:

I disagree, I'm a fucking idiot and I do well. LOL..

Seriously though, lets think about it... 10 c lines easily available, ML's no spreads. those two reasons right there make baseball a very appealing sport to wager on.

I'm just saying man, this isn't the first time I've said this. Its hard to show emotion via text, I didn't mean to sound cocky..

I would never say this about another sport.. CBB has 300+ teams, NFL has the sharpest lines, CFB is very random, NBA is weird although I love it.

Either Saturday or Sunday of labor day weekend
Haven't been this season. Summer has flown by for me

I would think this thread is probably pretty offensive to anyone down in baseball this year.

I'll be at DM today for the races and the Weezer concert afterward.

I would think this thread is probably pretty offensive to anyone down in baseball this year.

I'll be at DM today for the races and the Weezer concert afterward.

this year or lifetime? big difference there..

true, true...and I know you weren't intending it to be such either.

from my xp, baseball bettors that don't win are generally hesitant to take the underdogs that offer fair value. These bettors typically look at small to mid level favorites to continuously bet. Just my own xp from someone that doesn't bet baseball regularly or for that much $$$.

I went to the cake concert last year.. I love weezer.. Wish I could go.

I was at Cake as well; love the DM summer concert series. Nice mix of reggae and alternative, typically. Weezer is one underrated band.

Personally, I can't figure the second half out...I have gave back 5k of MLB profit thus far...

I had a horrible run in mid/late june.. I actually gave back 95% of my profits..

One of my accounts went from having 4 figures to having almost 2 figures, lol..

I'm not at all surprised people lose betting baseball. People on gambling forums seem to do pretty well (and I'll be damned at the lines they get) but they're kind of tuned into the game, not to mention pathological liars. It's lightly bet, comparatively, and most bettors lay the chalk. It's a niche game. And money mgmt is probably the #1 pitfall across all sports. Gambling's very emotional, and often drunken. Few approach it with the discipline to make a living at it. I know I don't, so I reeled it in a long time ago. And I STILL chase at 4:00 on Sundays and beyond, even after reeling it in.

I also laugh at the concept of "bankroll" being tossed around. I respect that it's a real thing among professional and/or disciplined gamblers, but for a lot of us, it's what we can afford to lose, and for too many of us, it's more than that. I've never gone into a sports season with a figure. I'd be too bummed and busted after a bad first week. When I'm busted, I'm busted, time to concentrate on fantasy teams, read a book, and cheer for the Tribe.

I lost pretty bad my first year betting bases. Too many run lines trying to avoid juice and way too many favorites without enough research. However, only three years after that MLB is easily my favorite sport to bet on.

But it did take about a -20 unit lesson that first year to get it down.... So I can see how that might knock some people out of the game.

Run line faves are my weakness to this day, I can fall in love with a favorite but am stingy on laying over -150 or so. Although it's hard to say, my losses may be even, because I swear I have a knack for picking out run line faves who lose outright. I haven't tracked it, but that's how it's always been.

I love betting bases. Probably my fav sport to bet. No other sport is such a grind where u can really find value on a daily basis. But as mentioned above most of use don't have a bankroll, we just gamble what we can afford to lose. And to top it off my piss poor $ management usually busts me. If I was to flat bet $50 a game I would make money. But I lack still lack the discipline after 5-6 years wagering.

Yes, that feeling's like my favorite pair of jeans by now.

When you're on the losing side of a RL fav, it's always a little comforting when the team loses outright. Lol
The best is when a closer like, oh I don't know, Bobby Jenks, comes in and coughs up the RL in the top of the ninth, only to end up winning the game by a single run in the bottom of the ninth.

I ought to send that fat bastard an invoice for all the money he cost me during his career...

First off. Gyno your input to the forum is appreciated. Kudos to ya bro. And thank you. 2nd. I feel bases is 1 of the easier sports to bet because of the perceived over valuation on faves. I'm more a less a totals guy. But it's easy for me. NFL /CFB im poor.

The best is when a closer like, oh I don't know, Bobby Jenks, comes in and coughs up the RL in the top of the ninth, only to end up winning the game by a single run in the bottom of the ninth.

I ought to send that fat bastard an invoice for all the money he cost me during his career...

I'm sure I was probably on a couple of those with you. My philosophy has always been ... "Bad closer, home team won't hit in the 9th? .... bahh, it'll be alright, will just count my money later."

Sometimes just don't overthink it. For instance, if KC plays Miami. 2 weak offenses. You can pretty much assume there isn't going to be a ton of runs scored. So any total of 7.5 or higher just fire away at the under

Baseball used to be a bad sport for me....now I make money at it and it has become a real nice thing to bet on....problem is(to me) knowing when to shut down for a day or two here and there

Like right now I am on a 2 day break...no reason, just not feeling it

I got absolutely killed my first year..

It's documented too, 2006.. Was down 60 units by may..

I was a donkey if there ever was one that year.. But then I figured it out..

I appreciate all the honest answers here..

I too agree with mo that sometimes we over think things..

Sometimes we over complicate things...

Disagree. On a micro level, maybe. But the "over complication" angle is an insult to gwarner, p2win, tuck, betcrimes, yourself ... It get's pretty complicated. With the exception of betcrimes, you guys are as cryptic as hell. Plus you're bean counters.

Disagree. On a micro level, maybe. But the "over complication" angle is an insult to gwarner, p2win, tuck, betcrimes, yourself ... It get's pretty complicated. With the exception of betcrimes, you guys are as cryptic as hell. Plus you're bean counters.

everybody makes mistakes when it comes to gambling.. Its those who make the least that come out ahead..

We all make bad moves.

All it takes is a rudimentary course in basic mathematics to understand how it happens. You may not have been a donkey in 2006. You may have run bad with normal fluctuation. The further you move along, the closer you get to knowing your true edge but we have pretty limited trials to get carried away with how great we are or how poor we are in sports handicapping. My two cents, fwiw and I have said this many times on the boards here before but figure it can't hurt repeating for the newer people to sports investing.

cologist what's happening my brother i'm glad for you and my other brother's that do good betting this sport. i'm one of those guy's that won't bet any chalk that has a line higher then -110 juice . i still don't know how anybody make's money betting baseball. but I see that some guy's like you do and congrats to you. this year I had a great year just unreal with hitting a lot of my 6 team parlay's but I was just lucky. that won't happen next year. cologist gl the rest of the baseball season make your bookmaker pay I will just wait for the money game football

This isn't the first time I've started a thread like this, started a similar one years ago. This is something I say every year. Didn't hurt me then and most definitely wont hurt me now.

Like I said I'm very humble, but honest. You are negative.

c'mon now Braves is quality and this is the ultimate jinx post.

I was at +18U June 8 and i'm at +1.5 so maybe i'm not qualified to answer this

I agree grif is solid. I text him all the time asking for his thoughts on shit.

Back