Quarterback Scouting Report: Brian Lewerke

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Brian Lewerke
6'3
212 Pounds

Footage watched: First Half of Notre Dame (9/23). Northwestern (10/28). All offensive plays (could therefore not watch more games, since I had to fast-forward to every offensive drive. Tried to get some situational diversity: a bad defeat vs ranked opponent at home and a road game vs unranked opponent a month later.

Vs Notre Dame

Strengths: delivering quick intermediate pass from the pocket. Great at curl underneath, slant down the middle So confident in these underneath routes in middle of the field, really nails these. Mechanically following through on front foot.
QB sneak for huge gain: ability to recognize gap or running lane in defense and accelerate. Not afraid to take off and run and be elusive doing so with his quick feet.
Short memory (composure after getting picked in leading touchdown drive, made Felton Davis come back for underthrown fade in end zone)
Ball skills (disguised pass/run)
Stepping up in pocket when facing pressure

Weaknesses: allows eyes to be read by statically locking onto receiver and waiting for play to develop. And picked off, easy to see in advance where he's going with the pass.
Inconsistent accuracy on shorter routes towards the sideline (as opposed to middle of the field): Overshoots screen, underthrows fade in end-zone. Underthrows while on the run. Underthrows down the field. Has hard time leading receiver, or not leading him too far, but especially the first. Big opportunities missed, in addition to his two mistakes (fumble and interception). Overthrows easy out route towards sideline. So much for composure, now down 21-7?
Looks too quickly to scramble when faced with pressure. Too reliant on athleticism, especially when rattled, needs to be truer to his strength in the pocket. Careless with ball when running. If he doesn't force a pass down the field, where his accuracy really struggles.
Departs from mechanical expectations when nervous, struggling and facing deficit. Needs to be babied into a rhythm to redevelop confidence as opposed to wanting to guide passes in there.

Can he carry offense when rush attack is non-existent?

Vs Northwestern

Strengths: Ball skills (play-action on the move to both sides of the field, makes throwing across his body look easy, enabled by lack of pressure allowing him to step into throw; fools the defense with the play-action)
Utilizing straightaway breakaway speed of receiver down the field. Lewerke looks a lot better throwing down the field to White than he did vs a bigger guy like Davis...both his deep completions went to him somehow. It's something he needs to become way more consistent at, with routes that are harder to have good timing with like post routes.
Composure under pressure to deliver accurate in pass in end zone to receiver (granted he was wide open)
Extending plays with legs, ability to keep eyes down field while moving around, looking for a place to step into throw and thus deliver accurate pass
Zip on shorter throw
Vision for open running lanes and acceleration
Improved decision-making. Due to maturation or due to not losing composure by falling down so early and facing pressure so often as he did vs Notre Dame? Benefits from conservative playcalling, easily locates open receiver in the flat.
Patience on designed running plays in allowing blockers to set up
Pocket passing. Hitting those sideline throws that he wasn't able to against Notre Dame. Though NW is giving him so much more time to step into throws and deliver comfortably. His strength is still those intermediate curls, slants underneath in the middle of the field and leading receiver on out route to the flat. Still a nice display of arm strength to repeatedly wiz an accurate out route to receiver on the opposite side of the field. I like the confidence that he has in his arm, even if it hurts him with tighter windows.
Clutch and composed: final drive. Taking what defense gives him.

Weaknesses: Struggles to consistently utilize height of Davis, problematic difficulty in the red zone. Still prone to interception by locking into receiver, but not happening as frequently as vs Notre Dame. Still overthrowing receivers down field--missed two wide open ones, that could have each gone for touchdowns, instead no points on the drive. Amazing confident at fitting balls into super tight windows, not fazed by near-interceptions to try it again. Three near interceptions due to this--all dropped by Defensive back. Defensive backs with more ball skills and better hands than those of NW will surely make him pay with 1-2 interceptions. Leaving pocket instead of stepping up to make throw--confidence in ability to extend play with his legs and makes this happen with his arm. This worked in the 4th quarter for NW but I feel like that was a bit fluke-ish. Finally leaves up a solid jump ball for his receiver to go and get it, White then Davis at the end of the game, but really inconsistent at utilizing the height of his receivers.

Benefits from time in pocket to step into throw. Pass protection seminal to his proclivity as a pocket passer. Trying so hard to execute the deep pass, but Lewerke just isn't up for it, except for that one time in the beginning of the game with speedy White running straight ahead. The deep posts even when open, the jump balls to Davis, nothing else is working deep down the field. Key to stopping Lewerke is to play the intermediate routes and make him beat you deep.

Like to see tempo for Lewerke, get him into a rhythm, get him completing a lot of quick, easy passes, the passes out in the flat or underneath in the middle that he excels at. No running, no deep balls. Just rhythm maintained by a young but composed quarterback. Nice final drive.

Summary

Young quarterback who stays composed in clutch situations or after throwing an interception in the prior drive. But can also get rattled when things aren't going his way, shows visible frustration when missing an open receiver. I like to see him in tempo when he isn't overthinking, but just taking what the defense gives him. He's great at curls and slants in the middle of the field, short-intermediate range, and outs at the same range. He has the arm strength to hit an out from the other hashmark to the other side of the field. But he's so poor at throwing deep. That limits him as a passer except that he is so mobile and is able to extend plays with his legs. He's also a talented runner with vision and the patience to allow blockers to set up, with nice acceleration. He's maybe too confident in his mobility. Despite his ability in the pocket, he too often leaves the pocket prematurely. Despite his accuracy, he can be too confident in it, and throws it into windows that are too tight. His interception number is probably deflated. On the flip side, he often relies on his receivers to make diving catches and his completion % benefits from that. He misses opportunities to utilize his receivers' physical talents more effectively, especially the height of Davis. And of course the deep balls. Overall a cocky but maturing dual-threat quarterback with a lot of upside, when he can improve on 1) deep throws 2) staying in the pocket 3) decision making when faced with strong coverage and build on his 1) arm strength and accuracy from the pocket in short and intermediate throws, 2) his talent as a runner and 3) his more than periodic composure, ability to stay clutch as long as he doesn't overthink what he's doing and takes what the defense gives him.

Last edited:
2018:

Footage watched: Utah State (season opener) Indiana (9/22)

Vs Utah State (8/31)

Strengths: Stands tall in the pocket, able to take a hit with eyes down field. Ability to use height/reach of tall receiver to his advantage in intermediate and deeper passes down the sideline, i.e. led Davis beautifully down the sideline, dangerous as runner rolling out with lead blockers. Back shoulder fades. In general comfortable throwing into the end zone, but reliant on Felton Davis who won't be there anymore. Throwing to the sidelines on the run.

Weaknesses: Deep balls in middle of the field: floats deep pass, overthrows deep pass, occasionally throws behind receiver on slant route, accuracy can be easily thrown off while scrambling under pressure on doable passes. Can overreact to pressure and scramble instead of stepping up and throwing. When he does throw misses easy targets. Too much in love with running around trying to make big plays. Pick six when throwing ball late. Some ridiculous passes into heavy coverage. Overall bad decisions.

Summary: Often goaded into bad decisions by even small amounts of pressure. Accuracy inconsistent, especially on deep passes (where his arm strength seems questionable like with that floater and where his timing may also be off), but occasionally on short routes as well. On the one hand he is used to going through progressions. On the other hand his timing can be off--threw pick six on late delivery to second read and also threw behind on some slant routes. Is a playmaker with his legs, he can juke or run over a smaller-sized safety, can follow lead blockers, runs fast, but on the flip side he can be too in love with his scrambling and sometimes run around and maybe chuck it instead of checking it down. He uses the height of his receivers well, whizzes balls to the sidelines well and can throw on the run well when not under any pressure. Great at bootlegging to his strong side. Overall much more comfortable with short/intermediate horizontal passes.

Vs Indiana (9/22)

Strengths: Mostly accurate in short middle. Good decision making on options. Like vs Utah State, dime on longer pass down the sideline--throws sidelines well. Like vs Utah State: back-shoulder fades down the sideline. Timing down the sideline. Uses height of receiver well (he will miss Davis a lot). Whizzing ball on short outs towards the sidelines. Back-shoulder fade in middle of end zone. Finding lanes and running behind blockers i.e. in option keeps.

Weaknesses: Same thing vs Utah State: air-mailing passes down the sideline when he stays in the pocket. Under-throwing while on the run, overthrowing in the pocket. A lot of bad accuracy in general and questionable arm strength. Timing, throwing behind receivers i.e. on slants like vs Utah State. Trying to force a play with his legs i.e. running backwards in response to pressure. Throwing it behind LOS when he could have just thrown it away = low football IQ. Armstrength downfield

Summary: Great at outs, short middle, options, passes down the side-lines, back shoulder fades, and running. Often inaccurate, often bad timing, questionable arm strength middle/down field, tries to force play with legs i.e. responds poorly/erratically to pressure, occasionally shows low football IQ

Last edited:
I like Lewerke, went to HS just down the street and always even keel, was ranked #1 pro style QB in HS I believe...still young and learning

Dantonio says Lewerke is a better passer than runner. I think thats flattering. He had compared him to Cousins before the season

If Bucks are smart they will focus on taking away the underneath route but thats hard when Lewerke can nail those sideline throws and those deep threats do exist like White and Stewart that one must think Lewerke can hit for a couple scores really. for all the bad run-blocking he really gets great pass protection

Frankly i'm just glad Sparty doesn't trigger him. I can't help wanting to scout guys I like and already know. I'll also take requests especially if you help me find the footage on youtube. I'll also gladly go back and organize my report since those are just notes made while watching

I'd love to hear an 'unbiased' McSorley report. He is an interesting player in how he is held on week to week and season to season basis.

I'd love to hear an 'unbiased' McSorley report. He is an interesting player in how he is held on week to week and season to season basis.

Ok. If you can help protect my thread from the anti-PSU trolls, who come in here and start a fight, sure. Just look at what they did to my saquon thread.

Respect for how much time I assume this takes you. Obviously you enjoy doing it to devote the time and want to do more.

I like the summary parts of these reports to add to my general knowledge, but don't know how to specifically apply it to any betting decisions I make. Like his strengths wouldn't keep me from betting against MSU and his weaknesses wouldn't necessarily prevent me from backing MSU. I'm just less detailed when I decide who to bet on. Maybe I should be, but I like the way I do things and realized a long time ago I wasn't going to get super deep in knowledge trying to pick a side to bet on because so many different variables change and are unpredictable and it wasn't worth it for me to try and know every aspect, strength or weakness going into a game. For people like yourself and the way you write your preview articles I can tell information like this is of great value. Keep up the good work if you enjoy it.

It would take a bunch of time, but I can imagine having key players for every team and every conference in a sort of season preview way that people could read about these players before the season started. For me, I think that would have more value when I'm trying to form my overall opinion of teams prior to the year rather than in the middle of the year.

So publish a preview next summer for 2018!

Thanks for the thoughtful opinion and the generous feedback amigo!

I mostly choose young players to try to chart progress over the season. I think the betting value derives additionally from knowing a defense's tendency. If their weakness for instance is to give up a lot of big plays that's not going to be such a worry for facing Lewerke.

But I agree that these reports could be most valuable at the start of the season as early homework, granted the footage (like for a young buck like Lewerke) would be harder to find. And the variables like protection quality would be harder to figure out (I don't really know at all how to evaluate a blocker).

If you have the time, enjoy it and know how to apply it all that is a good formula for some super interesting previews and hopefully consistent success for you and your followers.

Adding on:

Vs Utah State (2018)

Strengths: Stands tall in the pocket, able to take a hit with eyes down field. Ability to use height/reach of tall receiver to his advantage in intermediate and deeper passes down the sideline, i.e. led Davis beautifully down the sideline, dangerous as runner rolling out with lead blockers. Back shoulder fades. In general comfortable throwing into the end zone, but reliant on Felton Davis who won't be there anymore. Throwing to the sidelines on the run.

Weaknesses: Deep balls in middle of the field: floats deep pass, overthrows deep pass, occasionally throws behind receiver on slant route, accuracy can be easily thrown off while scrambling under pressure on doable passes. Can overreact to pressure and scramble instead of stepping up and throwing. When he does throw misses easy targets. Too much in love with running around trying to make big plays. Pick six when throwing ball late. Some ridiculous passes into heavy coverage. Overall bad decisions.

Summary: Often goaded into bad decisions by even small amounts of pressure. Accuracy inconsistent, especially on deep passes (where his arm strength seems questionable like with that floater and where his timing may also be off), but occasionally on short routes as well. On the one hand he is used to going through progressions. On the other hand his timing can be off--threw pick six on late delivery to second read and also threw behind on some slant routes. Is a playmaker with his legs, he can juke or run over a smaller-sized safety, can follow lead blockers, runs fast, but on the flip side he can be too in love with his scrambling and sometimes run around and maybe chuck it instead of checking it down. He uses the height of his receivers well, whizzes balls to the sidelines well and can throw on the run well when not under any pressure. Great at bootlegging to his strong side. Overall much more comfortable with short/intermediate horizontal passes.

Vs Indiana

Strengths: Mostly accurate in short middle. Good decision making on options. Like vs Utah State, dime on longer pass down the sideline--throws sidelines well. Like vs Utah State: back-shoulder fades down the sideline. Timing down the sideline. Uses height of receiver well (he will miss Davis a lot). Whizzing ball on short outs towards the sidelines. Back-shoulder fade in middle of end zone. Finding lanes and running behind blockers i.e. in option keeps.

Weaknesses: Same thing vs Utah State: air-mailing passes down the sideline when he stays in the pocket. Under-throwing while on the run, overthrowing in the pocket. A lot of bad accuracy in general and questionable arm strength. Timing, throwing behind receivers i.e. on slants like vs Utah State. Trying to force a play with his legs i.e. running backwards in response to pressure. Throwing it behind LOS when he could have just thrown it away = low football IQ. Armstrength downfield

Summary: Great at outs, short middle, options, passes down the side-lines, back shoulder fades, and running. Often inaccurate, often bad timing, questionable arm strength middle/down field, tries to force play with legs i.e. responds poorly/erratically to pressure, occasionally shows low football IQ

His big improvement from last year: 2017: He misses opportunities to utilize his receivers' physical talents more effectively, especially the height of Davis. 2018: he used Davis‘ height well. But sometimes overthrows receivers

Not sure how valuable this still is with Warner being demoted. Altho any Sparty fan will tell you that move was long overdue

Going to cringe if I have to watch Lombardi against Rutgers again lol. I found plenty of footage of your friend so i'll do that. But probably not until Sunday as I have to fly back to Okie st. and write some articles :)

this was extremely well written, I had a friend who hyped lewerke before this season. turns out that he kidn of sucks, but that shit happens. keep doing these. I second the request for Martinez, I think he could win a Heisman

this was extremely well written, I had a friend who hyped lewerke before this season. turns out that he kidn of sucks, but that shit happens. keep doing these. I second the request for Martinez, I think he could win a Heisman
Yup, he'll be in the discussion the next few years. Next year is a crapshoot because Tua is owed one and Lawrence will deserve one but he'll be a contender.

Not sure about the character of this kid. Might be s nice guy.

But out of all the qbs I watched he honestly was one of the worst in the nation imo. Just can’t pass the ball properly

Bad shoulder and beat up OL will make you look bad; as alluded to, he was inaccurate LY but I give him the benefit of the doubt due to his '17 season. If all systems go (shoulder and healthy OL), he should have a fine senior year. May not have the stats because it's Sparty, but he will get drafted.

I think a qb‘s mobility can obscure some of his flaws as a passer but that‘s not to take away the level of threat that Lewerke can present when he is committed to using his legs. Last year must carry some kind of asterisk, not sure it‘s clear when he actually became injured, but it‘s obviously unreasonable to castigate him for inaccuracy with a broken shoulder

He hurt his shoulder in the Penn St game...otherwise he would have torn Michigan up the following week. (This last part was actually just for BAR)

He hurt his shoulder in the Penn St game...otherwise he would have torn Michigan up the following week. (This last part was actually just for BAR)
Yeah, he didn't hurt his shoulder in the PSU game. He hurt it at ASU. He was 5-25 in the Michigan game. John Starks Game 6 1994 @ Houston laughs at that. He regressed a lot last year.

Hmm...everything I read and remember was PSU, inc my alumni friend at work; i'll take your word for it anyway but if it was ASU, that was even earlier. We shall see.

Basically the official story is Penn State but I remember reading some interesting speculation. I'm re-watching MSU's offensive plays against Oregon on youtube.

Hmm...everything I read and remember was PSU, inc my alumni friend at work; i'll take your word for it anyway but if it was ASU, that was even earlier. We shall see.
as I said last year, the fact his coach trotted him out injured to play in a late season game was out of line but we won't even get the msu faithful going right now. Like I said, in an offense more creative than Michigan States he would be a better fit. He reached his Apex already and they have been sitting on their "next cousins/cook" so that is why I say stop delaying the inevitable.

Back