QB Debate: ROMO or ROETHLISBERGR?

mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw this on the homepage of CBS.Sportsline today and wanted to see what opinions we have around CTG.... What do you guys think?

Choose between Big Ben or Tony Romo as your franchise QB?

img10473281.jpg

Pete Prisco and Clark Judge make their picks......

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD class=bg0font align=middle colSpan=2>
1. Who would you take right now: Ben Roethlisberger or Tony Romo?

</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD width="50%">Pete Prisco </TD><TD width="50%">Clark Judge </TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD vAlign=top>
3708.jpg
That's a tough one. Romo is having the better year, so it would be easy to say him. But I would go with Roethlisberger. I think he's more of a prototype passer. He can move around and does throw well on the run, but he's more of a prototype than Romo. I do like the way Romo scrambles around to make throws, not to run. That's a sign of a smart passer. But give me the big, strong-armed passer over the smaller move-around guy any day. Plus, I think Roethlisberger gets it now. He has a nice feel for the Steelers passing game. He looks like a tackle back there playing quarterback. </TD><TD vAlign=top>
8690.jpg
I'll take either, but if I can only have one I'll tilt toward Roethlisberger because he has a ring and because he has the stronger arm. Look, you can't go wrong with either, but I like proven guys, and Roethlisberger won a championship game and a Super Bowl. Maybe Romo gets there with time. Heck, he's only in his second year of starting, but I know what I have in Big Ben. And what I have is someone who's accurate, who can win, who has a cannon for a right arm and who, lately, has shown an uncanny knack for escaping the pressure. OK, so he's not as mobile as Romo, but he has made plays on the run -- with last weekend's win over Cleveland the evidence. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

The floor is open for discussion...... :shake:

I'll take Romo because I trust he'll be available for all 16 games. Ben's great but his size is a liability with the refs, he takes a beating sometimes.

The only thing is that you assume both guys are playing behind the same line, both have the same protection...I'll say they're both about a step equal when it comes to running

Then the next thing you look at is a proven winner, even though I like Romo better than Big Ben (I dont know why, but I just don't like the dude) there's no question that Ben is a winner, and can bring you to the superbowl

id take romo cuz he can get it done in the pocket and outside.

ben is great but he doesn't really scare me throwing from the pocket. its when he breaks contain, which hes great at, that he makes most of his plays.

I'd go with Romo. His decision making (aside from that insane 5-pick game) is way better than Ben's, although Big Ben's been doing better. But Ben always seems to throw a pick or two every game and that can kill you.

Plus, Romo is a pimp.

The other thing I like about Romo over Ben (and I've seen all of both of their games here in Pittsburgh) is that I see him making a greater variety of throws, including those requiring more touch on the ball. The first TD to Owens last Sunday was a great example, a 25 yard sideline pass that he dropped right into TO's hands. Ben's money throws tend to be more slants, posts and the occassional deep ball. Romo throws those plus a really good sideline ball. I've always thought that the way to control the Steeler's passing game was to clog the middle and force them to throw it outside the numbers.

ROMO
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" bgcolor="#002e4d"><td colspan="20">Passing Stats</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left" width="8%">YEAR</td><td align="left" width="8%">TEAM</td> <td>G</td> <td>CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>PCT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>INT</td> <td>RAT</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=6--> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2005</td><td align="left">DAL</td><td>16</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0.0</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=6--> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2006</td><td align="left">DAL</td><td>16</td> <td>220</td> <td>337</td> <td>65.3</td> <td>2903</td> <td>8.6</td> <td>19</td> <td>56</td> <td>13</td> <td>95.1</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=6--> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2007</td><td align="left">DAL</td><td>9</td> <td>190</td> <td>292</td> <td>65.1</td> <td>2555</td> <td>8.8</td> <td>23</td> <td>59</td> <td>11</td> <td>103.3</td> </tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td colspan="2" align="left">Career</td> <td>41</td> <td>410</td> <td>629</td> <td>65.2</td> <td>5458</td> <td>8.7</td> <td>42</td> <td>59</td> <td>24</td> <td>98.9</td></tr></tbody></table>
ROETHLISBERGER
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" bgcolor="#000000"><td colspan="20">Passing Stats</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left" width="8%">YEAR</td><td align="left" width="8%">TEAM</td> <td>G</td> <td>CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>PCT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>INT</td> <td>RAT</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=23--> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2004</td><td align="left">PIT</td><td>14</td> <td>196</td> <td>295</td> <td>66.4</td> <td>2621</td> <td>8.9</td> <td>17</td> <td>58</td> <td>11</td> <td>98.1</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=23--> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2005</td><td align="left">PIT</td><td>12</td> <td>168</td> <td>268</td> <td>62.7</td> <td>2385</td> <td>8.9</td> <td>17</td> <td>85</td> <td>9</td> <td>98.6</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=23--> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2006</td><td align="left">PIT</td><td>15</td> <td>280</td> <td>469</td> <td>59.7</td> <td>3513</td> <td>7.5</td> <td>18</td> <td>67</td> <td>23</td> <td>75.4</td> </tr> <!--teamId2=23--> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2007</td><td align="left">PIT</td><td>9</td> <td>160</td> <td>242</td> <td>66.1</td> <td>2020</td> <td>8.3</td> <td>22</td> <td>45</td> <td>7</td> <td>110.2</td> </tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td colspan="2" align="left">Career</td> <td>50</td> <td>804</td> <td>1274</td> <td>63.1</td> <td>10539</td> <td>8.3</td> <td>74</td> <td>85</td> <td>50</td> <td>92.1</td></tr></tbody></table>

Big Ben is back to rookie form, except better. He could very easily lead his team to a super bowl.

i really think that they both are in a good system for their type of QB...put them in pitts offense, ill take big ben, in dallas, id rather have romo

that said overall... gimmie romo

i really think that they both are in a good system for their type of QB...put them in pitts offense, ill take big ben, in dallas, id rather have romo

that said overall... gimmie romo

ur just scared my big ben is gonna drop 30 pts on u in fantasy this week:smiley_acbe:

I'm homo for Romo. Roethy is overrated. Nice 23 ints last year. This is the first year he has looked like a good QB and it is his 4th season as a starter. Romo has been poised and looked very good in both of his years as a starter.

Big Ben is a proven winner? That's BS. Is Doug Williams a proven winner? Does a 9 for 22, 0 TD, 2 int performance really warrant being called a winner? He's in a great spot and was on a team with a terrific defense and a great running game. He's a proven winner by circumstance.

Jackass motorcycle accidents:
Big Ben 1
Romo 0

I'm homo for Romo. Roethy is overrated. Nice 23 ints last year. This is the first year he has looked like a good QB and it is his 4th season as a starter. Romo has been poised and looked very good in both of his years as a starter.

Big Ben is a proven winner? That's BS. Is Doug Williams a proven winner? Does a 9 for 22, 0 TD, 2 int performance really warrant being called a winner? He's in a great spot and was on a team with a terrific defense and a great running game. He's a proven winner by circumstance.

Jackass motorcycle accidents:
Big Ben 1
Romo 0
Excellent point.

Roethy is overrated. Nice 23 ints last year. This is the first year he has looked like a good QB and it is his 4th season as a starter.

Big Ben is a proven winner? That's BS. Does a 9 for 22, 0 TD, 2 int performance really warrant being called a winner? He's in a great spot and was on a team with a terrific defense and a great running game. He's a proven winner by circumstance.

i have a few problems with your points.... I disagree with you saying Ben is overrated, and this is only the first year he has looked good. He went 15-1 as a rookie (when have u seen such great rookie #'s?), and then had a 29-5 record including playoffs after his 2nd year. 3rd year was plagued with problems (bike, appendectomy, concussion). 4th year and he is now back on track and winning.

If those career #'s don't show proven winner than i do not know what does.....

Ben's career stats. As you know, the numbers never lie:
2004: 14-0 regular season, 1-1 playoffs, 98.1 QB Rating, 17 TD/11 INT, 66% completion pct, 1 rush TD, 187 Passing Yards/Game.
Notes: He went 15-1 as a rookie, losing his 1st game in the AFC Championship against the dynasty of the day. I'd say a solid campaign by all accounts.

2005: 9-3 regular season, 4-0 playoffs, 98.6 QB Rating, 17 TD/9 INT, 62% completion pct, 3 rush TD, 183 Passing Yards/Game
Notes: Steelers get a low seed in part because of their 2-2 record without Roethlisberger. A Super Bowl win in year two and a career record of 24-4, 29-5 including playoffs. Not too shabby of a career so far.

2006: 7-8 regular season, 0-0 playoffs, 75.4 QB Rating, 18 TD/23 INT, 60% completion pct, 2 rush TD, 234 Passing Yards/Game
Notes: Near-fatal motorcycle crash, appendectomy on the eve of the opener, and a concussion to boot. Spare me the "Super Bowl Hangover" analogies. Ben's inability to prepare in the offseason due to the accident was reason #1, 2, and 3 why this team did not play up to snuff.

2007: 6-2 regular season, 111.9 QB Rating, 20 TD/6 INT, 66% Completion Pct, 1 Rush TD, 217 Passing Yards/Game
Notes: Roethlisberger, of sound mind and body with an offseason split between relaxation and preparation, is playing better than ever. In addition, he has a bigger say in the offense and a better working relationship with his coordinator.

Career: 36-13 regular season (41-14 including playoffs), 91.9 QB Rating, 72 TD/49 INT, 63% Completion Pct, 6 Rush TD, 209 Passing Yards/Game, and one Super Bowl ring.

also this media stigma that the steelers are strictly a running team is something that just isn't true anymore. please read this article specifically on this notion, and then tell me if you still believe the steelers are only a running team.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/13/steelers-pass-more-than-people-realize/

bump....

Big Ben had his 2nd perfect 158.3 passer rating of the season, and the 3rd of his career last night.

and it still amazes me how Tony "i can't play with my slampiece watching" Romo still gets ranked higher than Big Ben?!??!!

i mean what am i missing, what has this guy done that Big Ben hasn't?? sure the cowboys have a great record this season, but until Romo proves himself with some wins in the postseason i will never understand him being ranked above Big Ben.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3147842

and it still amazes me how Tony "i can't play with my slampiece watching" Romo still gets ranked higher than Big Ben?!??!!

i mean what am i missing, what has this guy done that Big Ben hasn't??
jessica_simpson_hot_and_wet.jpg

and

Any questions?

Good for Big Ben, he tore up a shitty ass St louis team that hasnt been able to cover the pass all season.

I cant remember the last motorcycle accident Romo has been in???

Who cares, they are both young and talented QB's.

ummm not sure how a motorcycle accident is any measure of who's a better QB though.....

Back