Put up or shut up...Cal @ ASU -3

bjorks

Secretary of Fondy Fanclub
A lot of people wondering about this game. Here's some initial random thoughts about the game...

The Line: ASU -3
Basically a pick'em if not for home field advantage ASU. If Cal had not lost last week against UCLA the game would've been a pick'em. If not for some poor decisions by Cal, the GameDay crew would be here as it would've been #2 versus #7. Cal isn't as bad as they showed last week. Nate Longshore was coming back off an injury and was rusty, but still gave Cal a shot to win at the end. If he is healthy and played the week before, Cal doesn't lose that game. Regardless, Cal has 2 losses and ASU has 0, even if Cal was undefeated it would be hard to image them being a significant road favorite, but they're not, they're getting 3 on the road.

ASU backers typically do not cause a great deal of line movement, or, not as much as Cal. This is going to be a tight game all the way through and I'd like it much better if the line moved closer to a pick'em, but we'll need some heavy hitters I'm afraid on Cal in order for that to happen. I DO NOT see this line moving past 3.5 and would be shocked if it didn't move the other way slightly (or at least Cal +3 say -120).

Sun Devil Stadium
ASU doens't sell games out. There's still about 5000 tickets left for this game, but the crowd will be extra sauced as it's Homecoming for ASU. I'd guess it's going to be a sellout based on ticket movement today as they sold 2000. Cal (fans) has not traveled to the desert well in the past and I'm expecting a little extra from the ASU fans. The fact that ASU moved all their games to the night however is a slight advantage for Cal. Not so much now in October, but teams used to hate coming here and playing int he middle of the afternoon because of the heat. It's been cool here since Saturday and windy. I have no clue what the forcast is going to be, but playing out of the sun helps Cal. Cal has also won the L4 against ASU including 2 in a row at ASU.

Coaching
Well Jeff Tedford has never lost 3 in a row at Cal and ASU is 2-19 SU against ranked teams since 2001. HOWEVER, Dennis Erickson is 26-15 in 19 years of college coaching against ranked teams despite the fact ASU hasn't beat a ranked opponent since 2004 (Iowa 44-7). Much of ASU's trouble against ranked teams was under Dirk Koetter, but Erickson has proven to be able to do what Koetter couldn't - establish a running game, win in the state of California, keeping the team focused on the task at hand, etc.

ASU has been in this position before, undefeated with high expectations. In the past ASU has self-imploded at this spot and usually gone down the shitter. Erickson (so far) has been able to reverse these trends.

I was as sceptical as anyone with ASU's hiring of Erickson initially. But having talked to him numerous times and talked to players, this guy is really a great college football coach. I've come to love the fact Erickson is our coach and so have many people in the desert.

Injuries
The most glaring injury for ASU is losing Ryan Torain. Torain, who was maybe the best kept secret in the nation is a huge blow. Keegan Herring (73 att/480 yds/4 TDs) and Dimitri Nance (37 att/193 yds/2 TDs) and even Preston Jones (23 att/85 yds) will all try to surpass Torains output. The difference is Torain was a homerun threat everytime he touched the ball. Herring is a scatback and while his numbers are good, it may take him 15 carries to break one, as opposed to Torain's ability to do it on any given play.

Nate Longshore (ankle) will have a full week of practice and whatever rust he had against UCLA should be gone. Otherwise WR Robert Jordan (shoulder) is expected to return and DE Rulon Davis (Foot) could as well.

Both teams are seemingly in good shape.

ASU Offense Vs. Cal Defense
Despite ASU's slow starts this year, they've been world killers in the 2H. Tedford has never really placed an emphasis on defense, but the Bears D has played well this year. Cal has given up the following totals this year:

31 to Tennessee (382 total O)
28 to Colorado St (391 total O)
12 to La Tech (274 total O)
27 to Arizona (330 total O)
24 to Oregon (400 total O)
31 to Oregon St (339 total O)
30 to UCLA (299 total O)

ASU's offense is superior to all these teams with the exception of Oregon, but they run a completely different system. ASU has a great mix of pass and run and what's different under Erickson is they have the ability to run and use clock and sustain drives, which is something they haven't been able to do in the past. Cal has given up an average of 26.1 ppg this year, which is fairly high for a team who could be in the Top 10.

Herring and Nance should get 120-140 between the two of them, but I'm thinking Carpenter will look to attack through the air against a Cal secondary that has a similar theory to ASU's in the secondary.

ASU Defense Vs. Cal Offense
Cal hasn't really struggled to put up points over the L5 years against ASU (38.4 ppg), but the ASU defense is at it's best in the past 10 years. HOWEVER the strength of Cal's offense is ASU's weak spot on defense. Craig Brey has a very talented front 7 and is stingy against the run. But, the secondary problems that plagued Brey at Minnesota seem to have followed him to Tempe. ASU's glaring weakness is in the secondary. It's a bend, but not break group that looks for the big plays on defense, but will also give up a big play. Cal's effectiveness will be through the air.

Cal has struggled on offense against Top 10 defenses this season having played 2. Funny, it also happens to be their only 2 losses. Is there that big of a drop from say 10 to 13? I don't think so.

DeSean Jackson will get his touches, but the key for Cal will be at the hands of WR Jordan, WR Lavelle Hawkins, and RB Justin Forsett. ASU can afford to let Jackson get 100, but it can't let any of these other 3 to have big days.

L5 Games
2006 #21 Cal 49, #22 ASU 21
2004 #7 Cal 27, #20 ASU 0
2003 Cal 51, ASU 23
2002 Cal 55, #55 ASU 38
2000 ASU 30, Cal 10

Misc.
If Cal wants to sniff the Rose Bowl this is a must win game...
If Cal wants a PAC 10 title and/or New Years Day bowl, this is must win...
Cals never lost 3 in a row under Tedford...
Cal has destroyed ASU the L4 games and won 4 out of 5...

This is ASU's 1st game against a ranked opponent...
If ASU wants a run at the Roses, PAC 10 title, or National Championship they must win here...

ASU's last 5 games are Cal, @ Oregon, @ UCLA, USC, and Arizona. This is the first game of a brutal ending stretch and we'll see how good ASU really is.

ASU -3 is the absolute max I'd even consider touching. Anything over that and I'm on Cal. Anything less than 3 and I'll be on ASU. The total will most likely be inflated, but my initial thought is a lean towards the under. Without Torain and think ASU will play a little more conservatively despite throwing a little bit more.

Regardless it's going to be a heckuva game. I'm actually going to this one so it should be fun. As I get information this week I'll continue to post.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Great info......only question for me is, you said anything over -3 and you'd take Cal, but anything less than -3 you'd be on ASU........

Cal +3.5 - +4 I'm on them...
ASU -2.5, -2 I'm on them...

It's going to be tight, -3 is the absolute highest I'll play ASU

Interesting thoughts..great stuff bjorks. it's like we said a few weeks ago in the Washington/ASU game, ASU is the best kept secret in CFB.

Good stuff bjorks

Few more misc. thoughts/items

Home field adv. could be big factor..when was last time ASU had a huge home game with these type of implications

For the second straight week....Cal faces a team off a bye w/ homecoming....not that im a big fan of the hc angle..the bye is key

WR Hawkins fumbled two ko returns last week & Cal recovered both..can you give us any insight on both teams st units ? Just checking some notes while typing shows Cal K Schneider inj. and Kay the kicker while ASU K doesnt kick deep. Anything here would be appreciated

Strong angle play on ASU......since 1980 - 2006 ? 19-2 Has to do with playing against teams that lost 2 in a row after a 5-0 start facing opp. with a win % over .400

Good stuff bjorks

Few more misc. thoughts/items

Home field adv. could be big factor..when was last time ASU had a huge home game with these type of implications

For the second straight week....Cal faces a team off a bye w/ homecoming....not that im a big fan of the hc angle..the bye is key

WR Hawkins fumbled two ko returns last week & Cal recovered both..can you give us any insight on both teams st units ? Just checking some notes while typing shows Cal K Schneider inj. and Kay the kicker while ASU K doesnt kick deep. Anything here would be appreciated

Strong angle play on ASU......since 1980 - 2006 ? 19-2 Has to do with playing against teams that lost 2 in a row after a 5-0 start facing opp. with a win % over .400

ASU's last 'Big' game was probably 2005 against USC where the crowd was probably 20% USC. ASU jumped way out ahead in the 1H and this is the game I like to call the "Keller Game" where he said something stupid on TV going into the half.

For me this year, homecoming is a big deal, because in the past under Koetter homecoming was a big deal to the players. Erickson has kept this team focused and I've heard from a couple guys already say "it's homecoming?" The focus is there...

ASU has watched A LOT of tape on Cal. They know what's at stake and I this team is proving (so far) to not let things that have gotten in their way in the past effect them this season. A great deal of credit goes to Ericksona and also Rudy Carpenter. I've said many weeks now, as Rudy goes, the team goes, both on and off the field. Erickson has proven he can make adjustments and is a great game planner. Given the extra week and being able to see how Cal lost to UCLA I think is very key.

RSF Thomas Weber is the kicker AND punter for ASU. He's missed 2 PAT's this year, but is a perfect 14-14 on FG's. He's got a big leg too and has been named PAC 10 special teams player of the week 2 already this year. He's averaging just over 41 yards per punt and has 10 TB's on 53 kicks.

Rudy Burgess and Justin Tryon each average over 22 yards on KOR with Kyle Williams handling PR. No special teams TD's for ASU.

ASU's kickoff defense is 2nd in the PAC 10 too, while Cal's is 9th.

Jermaine Moye handles all of Cal's returning I believe and he's nothing speical IMO. Very average. HOWEVER Cal has blocked 2 punts this year I believe for TD's, something ASU has not done.

Tyler Lorenz, Cal's K, is suspect connecting on 64% of FG's (14 attempts). He's missed from all yardages. BUT their punter leads the league in yardage. Lorenz also is 9th in the conference in KO's with only 3 TB's.

One other area I like to look at is 3rd down conversion and RZ conversion.

Here's the stats...

ASU 3rd down conversion - 45-106 (42%) 5th
ASU 3rd down defense - 32-111 (29%) 2nd
ASU RZ scores 27-29 (93%) 1st
ASU RZ TD's 17-29 (59%)
ASU RZ defense 12-14 (86%) 9th
ASU RZ TD defense 7-14 (50%)

Cal 3rd down conversion 45% 2nd
Cal 3rd down defense 22% 7th
Cal RZ scores 70% t9th
Cal RZ TD's 51%
Cal RZ defense 80% 3rd
Cal RZ TD defense 40%

PAC 10 stats
Scoring - ASU 37.7 (2), Cal 35.1 (3)
Scoring D - ASU 15 (1), Cal 26.1 (6)
Pass O - ASU 260 (3), Cal 237 (5)
Pass D - ASU 214 (2), Cal 245 (6)
KO return - Cal 22.6 (3), ASU 20.8 (6)
TO margin - Cal +7 (1), ASU +6 (2)
Rush O - Cal 177.7 (4), ASU 177.1 (5)
Rush D - ASU 90 (4), Cal 133 (6)
Tot O - ASU 437 (2), Cal 415 (4)
Tot D - ASU 304 (2), Cal 379 (6)
PR Ave - Cal 12.1 (2), ASU 9.9 (3)
Pass Efficiency - ASU 158.7 (2), Cal 132.2 (4)
Pass D Efficiency - ASU 94.4 (1), Cal 123.9 (7)
1st Downs - ASU 4th, Cal 6th
Opp 1st Downs - ASU 2nd, Cal 7th
Sacks - ASU t3rd, Cal, 10th
Penalties - Cal 54-64 (7th), ASU 50-71 (9th)
TOP - ASU 34:01 (1st), Cal 29:34 (6th)
KO Coverage - ASU 2nd, Cal 9th.

I know, a lot of random stats, but should help...

GO DEVILS!!! I think having a bye week to prepare plus home feild will equate to win. However, Cal is coming off two straight losses and should bring their top game. ASU better not get behing early is this one like they did against OSU, and Colo. This will be a hard fought game and though I think ASU pulls it out, I don't wanna lay pts.

Someone told me that they were but he is a USC fan so I took it with a grain of salt anyways.

bjorks, do you think the Torain injury is worth one or two points ?? Or are the backups of high enough quality that it won't have glaring impact on the game. Also, due to the injury do you know if erickson plans on throwing more in this game or if he plans on using the same distribution between run and pass that he has been so far this year ?

great thread ,very informative.

Great thread.

One thought about Cal's struggles against good defenses, I think part of the question is the legitimacy of the ranking for ASU given the schedule. On paper--yardage, yards per play, etc.--it's on par with say, Oregon State, but a couple of the teams that was compiled against are a little better offensively and overall.

I'm surprised to see you say that about the ASU pass D, for some reason on paper it looks pretty solid, allowing 5.5 yards per pass against teams that have averaged 6.6 for the season.

Someone told me that they were but he is a USC fan so I took it with a grain of salt anyways.

bjorks, do you think the Torain injury is worth one or two points ?? Or are the backups of high enough quality that it won't have glaring impact on the game. Also, due to the injury do you know if erickson plans on throwing more in this game or if he plans on using the same distribution between run and pass that he has been so far this year ?

great thread ,very informative.

Well, I'll I say Kyle is it'll be funny for all the SC fans when they get beat here on Thanksgiving night! I will admit though if ASU loses to Cal they could go 2-3 or even 1-4 over the last 5 games. That's why this game has high importance because it will set up the end stretch for them. If they get this, they should have the confidence to beat Oregon and SC.

I saw today the total is sitting around 60, which is a bit lower than I thought it would open up at. Seems to me Vegas is agreeing with my assesment about hte Torian injury. His injury is definately definately worth a handful of points, maybe 3-4. It's funny though how this team is set up, with Torain being out, the passing game becomes more important, instead of the running game.

Erickson won't abandon the run game. Herring and Nance are decent, but like I said, Torain hardly ever got stopped behind the line of scrimmage and could break it on every play. Herring especially, could lose 2, lose 5, break it for 60. He's a true scatback and he's always looking for cutbacks and change of direction, which has caused him problesm in the past. Nance is more north/south runner and will probably get more carries at the GL. BUT, I expect ASU to throw more than run once they get inside the 15. Torain ran for 190+ LY against Cal, I don't think Herring and Nance combined can do that, but they'll get over 100.

I won't know game plan until Thursday night. My guess is Erickson will stay with what has worked for him this year, a pretty equal mix of run and pass. BUT, as opposed to maybe letting Torain run on 3rd and 3 they may pass. I think it equals out, but it may change on 3rd downs, especially because of Cal's 3rd down Defense.

Now if Cal gets up 24-7 at the half, Carpenter will be chucking and chucking a lot!

Great thread.

One thought about Cal's struggles against good defenses, I think part of the question is the legitimacy of the ranking for ASU given the schedule. On paper--yardage, yards per play, etc.--it's on par with say, Oregon State, but a couple of the teams that was compiled against are a little better offensively and overall.

I'm surprised to see you say that about the ASU pass D, for some reason on paper it looks pretty solid, allowing 5.5 yards per pass against teams that have averaged 6.6 for the season.

The strength of schedule for ASU is what is hurting them in the eyes of the public. Who have they played? Nobody of any signifcance so far this year, but that's exactly what they needed. Build confidence in the new system for the 2H of the schedule.

What is legit about this team, is it's one of the fastest defenses in the PAC 10 and on the West Coast and it's full of playmakers. The run D is very legit also, but the pass D is definately the achilles heal. On paper they may look good, but teams just haven't passed a great deal on them despite being down. They do tend to give up the big play though against good teams. That's Brey's style...

If you saw the Wazzou game Alex Brink was 27-51 for 369 with 2 TD's and a pick. Longshore won't pass 51 times unless they get down, but ASU is susceptible to the pass.

Overall, most in the country believe ASU is overrated and to be honest they probably are. They're definately benefitting in the early rankings and BCS rankings because so many teams have lost already. ASU could completely disappear the next 5 weeks, but they could also make a deep run. A win against Cal will begin to legitimize ASU in the eyes of the country and this team could sneak up on everyone with a Rose Bowl bid.

Everyone is expecting the to fall on their face like they did under Koetter. This team is not a Dirk Koetter team despite most of the players being recruited by him! The attitude is completely different and they love playing for Dennis Erickson and they flat out have as much talent as anyone else i the Top 10.

I didn't see that game, clearly they performed below average against the pass. I was just surprised to see the stats after reading your post.

Truthfully, I think like many cfb fans, I haven't seen them at all this year. That changes this weekend.

After watching the game Koetter called on Monday night, I can believe that about him.

I didn't see that game, clearly they performed below average against the pass. I was just surprised to see the stats after reading your post.

Truthfully, I think like many cfb fans, I haven't seen them at all this year. That changes this weekend.

After watching the game Koetter called on Monday night, I can believe that about him.

You hit the nail on the head GT. Not many people (including the writers who vote) have seen ASU play this year and the image in their mind is the one teams under Koetter, who were cocky as hell and fell apart in tight games, games on the road, etc.

The atmosphere has changed so much it's unbelievable.

I agree this will be a tight game and if I had to bet a side it would probably be Cal. But IMO the over is a much better bet. I expect this game to be in the 70's pretty easily and even in the 80's wouldn't shock me. The ASU D might have a decent ranking, but they haven't played too many top offenses. Wash, Wash St, and Oregon St are in the bottom half of the PAC 10 and each put up at least 20.

I see a typical 38-35 or 42-38 PAC 10 shootout. Over at 60.5 seems really low.

I agree this will be a tight game and if I had to bet a side it would probably be Cal. But IMO the over is a much better bet. I expect this game to be in the 70's pretty easily and even in the 80's wouldn't shock me. The ASU D might have a decent ranking, but they haven't played too many top offenses. Wash, Wash St, and Oregon St are in the bottom half of the PAC 10 and each put up at least 20.

I see a typical 38-35 or 42-38 PAC 10 shootout. Over at 60.5 seems really low.

I had initially thought about the under, but I had guestimated the Total would be around 65-66. Torain is certainly worth a FG IMO, but I'd lean towards the over 60.5 as well. The funny thing is though as I mentioned, ball control and working the clock means passing for ASU with Torain out so until I hear from some of the guys I'm holding out. ASU and the OVER though may be a decent 2 team tease.

Great thread bro...

I have ASU too, considering a hedge...ASU's propensity for slow starts, combined w/a team that can score w/ them in the second half makes it tough to come from behind on this bunch...also they bye I think works against ASU...except the injuries.

if you are saying you will bet asu -2.5 or -3 and you will bet cal if it gets to +3.5...........

then........you shouldnt be betting on this game AT ALL.........if you dont have a strong enough opinion that one team is at least one full score better than the spread, it should be a NO PLAY........

the fact you believe it is going to be a tight game down to the finish, should turn a light bulb on in your head not to play it, but i guess there is no watts left

Back