Purdue vs. Wisconsin & UT Martin vs. Tennessee Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NCAAF Week 8 Early Value Picks Include Purdue and UT Martin

Purdue Boilermakers vs. Wisconsin Badgers
Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin

Purdue's Last Defensive Effort

There is a natural inclination among bettors -- and, indeed, among humans in general -- to attach extra significance to the most recent events.

This bias -- recency bias -- is problematic in the case of Purdue's defense because it relies on a failure to identify important distinctions between Nebraska, Purdue's last opponent, and Wisconsin.

The most important distinction is Trey Palmer.

Nebraska accumulated 37 points largely because of Palmer.

Of the 476 total yards of offense that the Cornhuskers accrued, Palmer gained 297 of them.

Palmer is a uniquely explosive wide receiver whom Nebraska gladly deploys on punt and kick returns and on jet sweeps and other rushing plays because of his ability to elude defenders in the open field.

In the passing game, as he did against Purdue, he'll get behind a defense and reliably make himself available as a target downfield, using his speed to create a cushion for himself.

Wisconsin, though, doesn't possess a player like him.

Its leading wide receiver is Chimere Dike, who has about 300 fewer receiving yards than Palmer and generally doesn't intimidate strong competition.

Over half of Dike's receiving yards this season have come against Illinois State and Northwestern.

Graham Mertz

Dike and the other Badger pass-catchers are also held back by poor quarterback play from Graham Mertz.

Mertz's pass completion percentage looks attractive because of his games against Northwestern, the team's inspired first effort without its previous head coach, New Mexico State, and Illinois State.

Generally, Mertz struggles to complete 60 percent of his passes.

Moreover, he is turnover-prone.

He was fortunate, last week against Michigan State and its repeatedly porous secondary, to have only thrown one interception, and he is always liable to throw multiple interceptions in a game.

Compared with Purdue's quarterback, Mertz has one more interception on 102 fewer pass attempts.

With Mertz and his lackluster pass-catching crew, Wisconsin's pass attack doesn't pose nearly the same threat that Nebraska's did with Palmer.

Badger Ground Game vs. Boilermaker Run Defense

Wisconsin is always famous for its rush attack and, given its problems passing the ball, it certainly makes sense in general for Wisconsin to emphasize its ground game.

Indeed, the Badgers own the nation's 31st -highest run play percentage.

In this respect, their offensive success will hinge on that of their ground game.

Problematically for Wisconsin, Purdue's run defense has been excellent all year.

Its run defense numbers last week look bad merely because of one rush executed by Palmer, the same uniquely explosive wide receiver who torched their secondary.

Still, currently, the Boilermakers rank 20th nationally at limiting opposing rush yards per game.

For example, Penn State ranks 38thin averaging 179.2 rushing yards per game but mustered 98 rushing yards on 3.1 YPC in its game against Purdue.

More recently, Maryland rushed for 72 yards against Purdue but averages 160.3 rushing yards this season.

Evidently, the Boilermakers reliably make opposing ground games look much worse than they do against other defenses.

Since Wisconsin won't beat the Boilermakers on the ground or threaten them through the air, I am pessimistic about its ability to score many points.

Purdue's Pass Protection

After yielding five sacks two weeks ago, Purdue's pass protection unit answered any doubts by stymying the Cornhusker pass rush.

Nebraska didn't even manage a quarterback hurry despite Aidan O'Connell attempting 54 passes.

Wisconsin's pass rush unit doesn't pose a threat against a Boilermaker unit that's been one of the best at limiting the rate at which its quarterback gets sacked.

The Badger pass rush is ranked only slightly ahead of Nebraska's in sack rate.

O'Connell vs. Badger Secondary

As did Michigan State's, good receivers regularly thrive against the Badger secondary.

Expect, therefore, Charlie Jones to accomplish this week his fifth 100-yard receiving output of the season, while other wide receivers and tight ends remain healthy to help him out.

Opposing quarterbacks find Badger defensive backs like Ricardo Hallman to target and reliably accrue chunk plays.

O'Connell will have plenty of time in the pocket to expose Badger defensive backs downfield when he isn't executing a dink-and-dunk game.
https://www.betonline.ag/
Best Bet: Boilermakers +1.5 at -117 with BetOnline

UT Martin vs. Tennessee Volunteers
Saturday, October 22, 2022 at noon ET at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee

Let-Down Situation

This is a classic spot in which to bet on Tennessee's opponent to cover the spread.

The Volunteers are coming off a massive win against Alabama.

They celebrated, they were excited, their fans stormed the field after the game, and all of this for good reason: it was a victory against a top-ranked, fellow SEC opponent, one that had had Tennessee's number.

How are the Volunteers going to get themselves excited, after beating Alabama, to play UT-Martin in the early time slot, no less?

I don't know the answer to this question, especially with a ranked Kentucky team as their next opponent, and that's why I recommend UT Martin for your NCAAF Picks.

Best Bet: Skyhawks ATS (Odds TBA)

It’s worth mentioning that this is homecoming at UTK, so the partying isn’t going to stop any time soon.

I also want to play Martin, but I’m thinking the over might be an even better play. Think of Georgia’s homecoming games in 1988 and 1994.

UT Martin and Over definitely look good. Perhaps Martin 1H as well?

What might we guess the line? Tennessee open at -33.5 and likely bet up higher? 1H-24? UT Martin will be significantly disadvantaged, but they aren't a bad team and should put up some offense. They only scored 7 at Boise, which doesn't make me feel great. Martin is off a bye and I think playing this game in-state will have more of their best effort vs a 2000 mile away game in Boise.

UT Martin and Over definitely look good. Perhaps Martin 1H as well?

What might we guess the line? Tennessee open at -33.5 and likely bet up higher? 1H-24? UT Martin will be significantly disadvantaged, but they aren't a bad team and should put up some offense. They only scored 7 at Boise, which doesn't make me feel great. Martin is off a bye and I think playing this game in-state will have more of their best effort vs a 2000 mile away game in Boise.
Yes, your info on UTM in another thread was very helpful.

Not like I think this will necessarily continue, this week but looking over some FCS stats right now and you know what, UT Martin has allowed the fewest sacks of all FCS teams. 2. They've allowed 2 sacks. And they aren't some kind of run heavy team, they have attempted 220 passes in 6 games (rank 34th in pass eff O). So that is good to know, atleast vs teams their own size, their OL knows how to pass block.

But the bad news, they rank tied-108th on 3rd down O, just 28.6%. That could be a problem. There are only 123 FCS teams.

Last edited:
Not like I think this will necessarily continue, this week but looking over some FCS stats right now and you know what, UT Martin has allowed the fewest sacks of all FCS teams. 2. They've allowed 2 sacks. And they aren't some kind of run heavy team, they have attempted 220 passes in 6 games (rank 34th in pass eff O). So that is good to know, atleast vs teams their own size, their OL knows how to pass block.

But the bad news, they rank tied-108th on 3rd down O, just 28.6%. That could be a problem. There are only 123 FCS teams.
Good notes.

Back