Proposed Rule Changes

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
The NCAA Football Rules Committee announced it has proposed a new rule that would allow players to call for a fair catch inside their own 25-yard line on kickoffs and have it result in a touchback, giving their team the ball at the 25.

"The committee discussed the kickoff play at great length, and we will continue to work to find ways to improve the play," said North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, the chair of the committee. "We believe making one change will allow us to study the effect of this change in terms of player safety."

The potential change, which was made with player safety in mind, will be sent to coaches and conferences for feedback in the coming weeks. It still needs to be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss it -- and other proposed rule changes -- April 13.

Among the other proposals is a tweak to speed up the pace of play. After touchdowns and kickoffs, a 40-second play clock would go into effect, designed to eliminate what has been considered dead time.

"In discussions with the college football community, the committee's goal is to identify ways to keep the game moving and reducing as much as possible the down time in the stadium," Steve Shaw, the secretary-rules editor, said in a statement. "These changes will not take plays out of the game, but will positively impact the flow of the game."

Another timing change approved by the committee would implement a 10-second runoff when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.

Additionally, the committee has proposed eliminating blocks below the waist more than five yards from the line of scrimmage and requiring that all blocks below the waist, with the exception of those from interior linemen, must be from the front.

Speed up the game and just get rid of replay.

Problem with the ten second run off is that it is longer than most teams need to get the next play off in those situations.

Also does first down move the chains count as a clock stoppage?

I know you stopped watching the nfl but that rule popped up this year due to a replay at the 2 inch line ... Detroit missed playoffs due to it .

I know you stopped watching the nfl but that rule popped up this year due to a replay at the 2 inch line ... Detroit missed playoffs due to it .

Stupid.

I am hoping to have forgiven them by the end of this season so I can welcome my Raiders to Las Vegas the following year. Doubt it, though.

I turned ESPN on for the first time the other day for something other than a game or 30 for 30 and saw two people arguing about whether the anti-tanking nba edicts are racist or not. Seriously.

Hoping they destroy CFB so I can give up on sports entirely.

I'm hoping that in the inaugural season Detroit plays there instead of here ... Excuse for a trip...2019 is our afc west year.

That 10 second runoff is ludicrous. In theory a ref could cost a team the game with no room for dispute

You know they can't because of onside kicks but otherwise it would be ideal

As a Raider fan, I hope we draw Detroit too.
giphy.gif

Just imagine how packed Fremont St will be when GB/Minn/Detroit come to town

Well given how well the badgers travel to las vegas, i imagine i could scalp those tickets for some cash

I should probably buy two sets of season tickets now and just collect

Well given how well the badgers travel to las vegas, i imagine i could scalp those tickets for some cash

I should probably buy two sets of season tickets now and just collect

I'd buy several packages if possible and just sell, make a lot of profit one would think.

I have never heard a college fan complain about how long games are. Everyone I know loves college football and no one ever worries about how long a game is.

That's why this constant drum beat from the rules makers to try and shorten games always annoys me. Every year they come up with some new hair-brained scheme to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Back