Proposed rule change...

Dumbest rule ever:

Establishing three seconds as the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock.

What they really need is a rule that allows for the defense to line up before the ball is snapped in all but last two minutes of the game. The snapping of the ball super fast without the defense having a legit chance at aligning is ruining the sport at both levels.

What they really need is a rule that allows for the defense to line up before the ball is snapped in all but last two minutes of the game. The snapping of the ball super fast without the defense having a legit chance at aligning is ruining the sport at both levels.

Ball must be snapped with no less than 15 seconds on the play clock or an unsportsmanlike penalty. I would be down with that. But I think it should be in the final 4 minutes of either half. Two minutes doesn't allow a team down 2 or 3 scores a realistic shot, which would kill a little excitement.

As for the targeting ejection, I am totally opposed, not only in principle but in practice because I don't trust the different officiating crews to have any consistency.

This is all about litigation down the line on the concussion issue. They have to draw a line in the sand to have a defense to concoct. The issue isn't going away.

Last edited:
This is all about litigation down the line on the concussion issue. They have to draw a line in the sand to have a defense to concoct. The issue isn't going away.

Im pretty sure everyone understands why the rule is being addressed. But it doesn't mean people have to agree with it. Like Gar said, shady refs will abuse this rule from both perspectives.

Above the shoulders.

"The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new football rule that requires players who target and contact defenseless players above the shoulders to be ejected, effective for the 2013 season. The change increases the on-field penalty for targeting by adding the automatic ejection to the existing 15-yard penalty."

Under new controversial rule, Clowney would have been ejected for ‘The Hit’

Unbelievable that football has come to this!!!

Furthermore, Clowney came no where close to hitting Smith with the "crown" of his helmet, and any official that thinks he did needs to be dismissed immediately. Man this shit pisses me off!!!

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/clowney-hit-targeting-rule/

the problem is these hits happen so quickly and are so viscous A LOT of times a clean hit draws a flag.

unless the hits resulting in an ejection are review-able this is gonna be terrible.

that's why they'll be reviewed....basically they'll throw the flag and then if they think it's ejection worthy it's reviewed....if review indicated, ejection they are ejected...the flag stands either way.

altho iz kinda dumb they'll review the play and then have the 15 yard penalty stand even if it shows itself to be clean. but at least the ejection will be reviewed.

and having the ejection carry over to the 1st half of the next game is so fucking stupid

it's hard to argue against a rule that's trying to protect the health of kids...in a game my kid will play...hard for me to stomach having an issue with it..

The thing is, these refs and review refs are so damn incompetent how it is, I can't imagine giving them more power over the outcome of the game, and basically governing the sport...if a player is ejected in 2nd half, they miss the first half of the next game...so basically hold the outcome to 2 games which is 16% of the season...they can't even determine down and distance..

yup yup. totally understandable what theyre doing and why theyre doing it. but these cunt refs can't be trusted

this hit would still be legal tho right

barkley-drilled2-11-17-12.gif

Unbelievable that football has come to this!!!

Furthermore, Clowney came no where close to hitting Smith with the "crown" of his helmet, and any official that thinks he did needs to be dismissed immediately. Man this shit pisses me off!!!

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/clowney-hit-targeting-rule/

Eric LeGrand ‏<s>@</s>EricLeGrand52 <small class="time"> 2h </small> There's no way <s>#</s>clowneyhit is illegal. Take it from a guy who broke his neck
Details

so football is for neanderthals

it's all a conspiracy to make us watch soccer, just get over it

so basically if the ref is an uppity bitch he could potentially flag and eject barr for that hit then on replay they'd see the hit was below the shoulders so the ejection would be rescinded but the 15 yard penalty would stand.

this is gonna be great

This is what happens when the party of women run the country as well as culture and the party of men sit idly by and watch the country turn pink.

Back