-preseason thread-

broadwayjoe

May 5Dimes MLB 2nd place
puttin all the preseason plays and write-ups right here....they'll be 12-15 of them and most will be weeks 1 & 2...god bless football

week 1:

Skins -6

Jets +4

Oakland Preseason Raiders -3

write-ups on these shortly...that's it for sides..looking at a few unders. gl

didn't get a chance for the skins write-up, but i think it was a pretty easy hit considering the colts' injuries, who was being inducted into the hall, and the depth at qb for the skins...

i'm going to just give a few reasons on why i'm betting against my hometown browns this thursday...

jets +4 @ browns
depth: it may seem like the browns would be valuable in preseason due to 2 good qbs (who by the way have both had sub-par camps) and a decent backup as the 3rd, but i think that is what the browns lack the most...which is suicide for preseason...i would also argue that the jets qbs have just as much motivation with the clemens/pennington competition, and although questionable and less comfortable, a 3rd qb with more talent. overall, slight edge jets.

rb they have zero depth. wright is very very average and would not make it as the 2nd rb in about 75% of the league. there's nothing terrible about him, but nothing great either...not really a speed or power back, not great at reading holes or breaking tackles. harrison would not make many rosters in this league. he's very limited and although he's good at catching the ball out of the backfield and using his speed and toughness, he's extremely ineffective after a handoff. i'd take jones/washington and chatman over wright/harrison (lewis should barely play at all), and would even take some of the young backs the jets have further down on the depth chart over wright/harrison. browns extremely thin at rb. even when looking at the fullbacks there is a significant difference. big edge to the jets here.

wide receiver is very thin for the browns as well. their starters are significantly better, but i believe it's about the same here. jets young receivers have some versatility and some things to build on, but nothing really impresses me down the depth chart. steptoe and wilson better show something...they've both had awful camps.

o-line is a lot closer when comparing the starters, but i believe that the browns have the distinct advantage overall here.

defensively, the jets have a lot more depth at corner, which will be the key when playing the browns' 2nd and 3rd teams. browns probably have the depth advantage at safety and d-line, and the lbs i would call a toss up. overall, slight advantage jets.

special teams: washington/miller are better returners than harrison/mcdonald, but obviously cribbs significantly better than all of them. punting goes to the browns, kicking to the jets, and the units themselves goes to the browns. slight advantage browns

motivation: jets have a lot of spots in the roster and even in the starting lineup that aren't decided yet as well as a lot more young talent. they had a disappointing year last year. the exact opposite is true for the browns...big motivational/situational edge here for the jets.

coaching/strategy: the last two years crennel hasn't won a preseason game by more than 4 points except for one time...and that was in a week 4 matchup which is obviously a lot different. those two years they had more to prove, more to see, virtually the same talent, and thus more motivation to play harder. one thing that could really hurt the browns this year is injuries because of their lack of depth...they won't be willing to play even their key back-ups for too long. they also have two very big games early, so i would think you would see the most basic watered down playbook in the preseason. think the jets win a close, low-scoring battle...would also lean the under

gl

glad i snagged it at +4...touchin +3 at most places. bout time i get a line move that's not unfavorable to me

What you think about Lions tomorrow? I live 2 minutes from where the G Men practice... and they are devastated with injuries. Starting WR will be their 5th or 6th best one... so they'll have guys who have no chance of making the team on the field to start the game.

All talk is that they don't care at all and just want to get home healthy and try a few things out.

more browns news from this morning's plain dealer:

WILL NOT PLAY:

Seth McKinney
Kellen Winslow - who has also been taking a lot of 3rd wr reps
Steve Heiden
Kevin Kasper
Lawrence Vickers
Beau Bell
Antoine Peek

robaire smith, cribbs, corey williams are guys who have missed practice due to injury that will probably see very limited action...

this obviously increases the problem for depth at rb and wr in particular, and solidifies the idea of a conservative approach by the browns coaching staff to this game...as most of these guys have very minor injuries

Week 2 Card:

Eagles -3.5
Raiders/Titans UNDER 35
Skins ML +135
Ravens -3 (+105)
Browns/Giants UNDER 35

should be it, but you never know...likin cards and lions as well

kyle, think the talent and depth at the skills positions on defense for the niners won't do much for orton in the first half, and he already has to deal with a line that will be down a few guys. one bad series and he's gonna hear the boos too. he'll be pretty ineffective i think (goin out on a limb i know). and niners have enough defense in their 2nd/3rd units to stop the bears in the 2nd half. o'sullivan has impressed me and they have a more than adequate backup in alex smith to start the 3rd quarter, and they are better than the bears from there as well with shaun hill/kyle wright. it does concern me that they'll have people out at ol and wr, but i think they can score more than the bears can with their defensive, rb, and qb depth. and i will probably always lean the way of the + juice + points in an nfl exhibition game...call me a sucker. it's pretty nice to get 3 pts in a preseason game, let alone + juice to go along with it...would normally like the under as well but defensive tds and short fields scare me with just a few starting ol in this game..

10-4 +5.10

going to have a few more plays than i had wanted this preseason, but oh well:

Phins -3 +100

Cards/Raiders UNDER 38.5

Browns/Lions UNDER 40.5 (2x) - this number is a joke imo

i lean both the favorites in the sunday night and monday night games, but i'm laying off and closing preseason down. no interest in week 4 preseason, as i'll have plenty of college foots goin on...

13-4 +9.10 to finish preseason...thanks for the insight and help in this forum fellas

i already have some plays locked in for the regular season in my week 1 thread, so anyone that wants to talk those games can drop by...i'm going to get some vague reasoning and write-ups down in there before those games, but specific inquiries/concerns always help too...

Back