18. Wisconsin
19. South Florida
20. Hawaii
21. Alabama
22. Tennessee
23. Nebraska
24. Missouri
25. Arizona

Man, none of you, until RSMS is giving Missouri much love, yet Arkansas is way up there, ahead of even South Carolina whom I have on par with the big boys in the SEC this year. Missouri would/should be favored over Arkansas on a neutral field IMO.

Man, none of you, until RSMS is giving Missouri much love, yet Arkansas is way up there, ahead of even South Carolina whom I have on par with the big boys in the SEC this year. Missouri would/should be favored over Arkansas on a neutral field IMO.

Here's a little salt for your coffee, Horses. Mizzou looks good on paper, but in reality hasn't done well as a favorite or front runner. I like them too, but past history, even under Pinkel, says they're not as good.

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/story/2007/7/26/165914/736

How come everybody loves Jemarcus Russel who'se team is ranked #2 without him....

While Brady Quinns Irish aren't even ranked? I guess losing him and that undrafted runningback really hurt?

I never said anything about JR except he had an exceptional senior season. LSU Flynn is very capable and engineered their shellacking of The U a couple yrs back in the bowl...26-3 or thereabouts. ND will have a QB that has pretty much never taken a college snap. Huge difference...

Additionally, the recruits LSU has brought in the last few years absolutely dwarf ND's recruiting classes.

How come everybody loves Jemarcus Russel who'se team is ranked #2 without him....

While Brady Quinns Irish aren't even ranked? I guess losing him and that undrafted runningback really hurt?

I've got a secret that most people aren't going to agree with on here; JaMarcus wasn't all that great. He had 3 great receivers, 4 great running backs, and an outstanding defense to help his big fat ass out there week in and week out. Their two biggest games last year against Auburn and Florida? He led them to a whopping 13 points and stunk up the joint against top class defenses. I think Flynn is more of a lateral move for them at the position, as he might not have the size, huge arm or big name, but he played very well in that Peach Bowl a couple years back and seems to be a more heady player than Daunte Cocksucker's little brother.

ND, on the other hand, was all Quinn, McKnight, and Walker last year on offense. They have a lot of adjustments to be made early on, although I don't think they're going to be as bad as everyone wants them to be this season.....

Also, I find it interesting that a lot of you have the eventual ACC champion (F$U) in the 20s in the rankings.....

I've got a secret that most people aren't going to agree with on here; JaMarcus wasn't all that great. He had 3 great receivers, 4 great running backs, and an outstanding defense to help his big fat ass out there week in and week out. Their two biggest games last year against Auburn and Florida? He led them to a whopping 13 points and stunk up the joint against top class defenses. I think Flynn is more of a lateral move for them at the position, as he might not have the size, huge arm or big name, but he played very well in that Peach Bowl a couple years back and seems to be a more heady player than Daunte Cocksucker's little brother.

ND, on the other hand, was all Quinn, McKnight, and Walker last year on offense. They have a lot of adjustments to be made early on, although I don't think they're going to be as bad as everyone wants them to be this season.....

Also, I find it interesting that a lot of you have the eventual ACC champion (F$U) in the 20s in the rankings.....
you speak the truth

#1 Michigan
#20 Ohio State

Now that is some wishful thinking if I have ever seen it.

Wahoo, you forgot to mention LSU's state-of-the-art offensive line which kept big boy on his feet.

Russell was good, real good in fact, but definitely not #1 pick good. Maybe this draft was a little weaker than everyone thought. Oh yeah, that's right, a kick returner went #9 overall, definitely not a special draft, just an average one.

John Gault, that is my point.

ESPN sucked off Jemarcus Culpecker in a major way. He beat Brady Quinn as if it was a 1 on 1 basketball game or something. "He's big". He can beat Brady Quinn in a long toss blah blah blah. No matter what ESPN was going to take Russells side. If he were more mobile, they would turn that card, I never heard 1 ESPN analyst bring mobility into the equation, which is suprising because they always talk about mobility. Not when you compare Brady to Russell. All we hear about is how big and clutch fatboy is.

The game took place in Louisiana and was basically a home game for LSU
- Quinn was going against one of the top pass defeneses in the country
- Russell was going against one of the worst pass defenses in the country.
-NFL scouts didn't think very highly of Darious Walker and many of Bradys offensive teammates. On the other hand Russell was throwing to 2 first round receivers.

B.Quinn is had a solid college career, and he was the glue that even allowed the Irish to play in those big games.

Russell was on a stacked team and was even in question to be the starter before this season even started.

His stock rose dramatically based on 1 freaking bowl game! He ran up his stats against the JV team, and then ESPN touts him out to be some super human quarterback because he LOOKS big and can throw far.

People compare him to fumbple pepper and leftwhich and Russell wants nothing to do with those previous Russell clones who can't even start in the NFL.

Good riddence.

I agree 100%. The guy was not even a sure thing to be the starter before the season last year and many LSU fans wanted Flynn to be the starter.

I'll never understand why NFL teams draft off of workouts/combines with QBs and not how they look on the field. There is a lot more to playing QB then being able to throw the ball from the 50 yard line while sitting down. He didn't ever show me any moxy while at LSU and I think he's going to be a bust for Oakland.

SHSU- I was watching the old Texas USC national championship game on TV the other day and it was one of my favorite games I've ever seen.

California vs texas
media favorite vs a team nobody gave a chance too
offense vs defense
and on and on

the game delivered, the crowd was loud, the hits were big, and texas pulled it out. I was so sick of espn sucking off Leinart, Bush, Jarret and Carrol. Vince Young ran through that underclass defense like a hot knife through butter, and frosty rucker just got bitched all night long.

My old roomate lost a lot of money on that game, enough that he didn't even say how much he lost. He was arguing that USC ML was a lock, and I told him I was riding the horns. He was piiiisssed.

SHSU- I was watching the old Texas USC national championship game on TV the other day and it was one of my favorite games I've ever seen.

California vs texas
media favorite vs a team nobody gave a chance too
offense vs defense
and on and on

the game delivered, the crowd was loud, the hits were big, and texas pulled it out. I was so sick of espn sucking off Leinart, Bush, Jarret and Carrol. Vince Young ran through that underclass defense like a hot knife through butter, and frosty rucker just got bitched all night long.

My old roomate lost a lot of money on that game, enough that he didn't even say how much he lost. He was arguing that USC ML was a lock, and I told him I was riding the horns. He was piiiisssed.

I've watched the game probably 30 times during off-seasons and it never gets old. I met Young right after that game when he moved back to Houston and lived in the same high rise as me.

We were in the elevator together and all I could tell him is how much money he's won me over the years particularly that game (I had tons of props, Texas SU, and him winning mvp 5-1) and me unloading on 3-1 odds that he would be the first QB taken in the draft. He just laughed his ass off.

You told him he won you money? LMAO

I remember you had like 10 bets on texas before that game between your props and all.

A lot of people would compare Vince to michael vick because they both run, but...

1 vick is an asshole, vince is not
2. vince won a title in college, vick just trys to make himself look good
3. vince young might not be smart, but he is studious and has football smarts ( not every qb has to be a rocket scientist), but Vince young has football IQ and wants to be better.... vick on the other hand is a rap video ghetto hood rat that wanted to pick up his check and run the offense how HE wants it... that doesn't work.
4. vince is a good teammate, vick throws his guys under the bus
5, vick is too short and has small hands, vince is a tall manchild.

I do think that they both need lots of work on their passing though, vince isn't as fast as vick, but he has deceptive speed, and he's strong.

I thought I saw a replay on utube or something, where they showed highlights of the game to music and it was real cool. They showed the 4th and 1, the amped up fans, the layout of the usc fullback, the confede at the end etc.

This is the top 25-30 teams at this point imo...rough draft

1. USC
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Michigan
5. W. Virginia
6. Luoisville
7. Oklahoma
8. Florida St
9. Florida
10. UCLA
11. South Carolina
12. Ohio St
13. Virginia Tech
14. Penn St
15. Wisconsin
16. Hawaii
17. Georgia
18. Miami(FL)
19. California
20. TAMU
21. Oregon
22. Texas Christian
23. Alabama
24. Boise
25 TIE-Hoos, Boilers, OKST, Vols, USF,MIZZOU

This is the top 25-30 teams at this point imo...rough draft

1. USC
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Michigan
5. W. Virginia
6. Luoisville
7. Oklahoma
8. Florida St
9. Florida
10. UCLA
11. South Carolina
12. Ohio St
13. Virginia Tech
14. Penn St
15. Wisconsin
16. Hawaii
17. Georgia
18. Miami(FL)
19. California
20. TAMU
21. Oregon
22. Texas Christian
23. Alabama
24. Boise
25 TIE-Hoos, Boilers, OKST, Vols, USF,MIZZOU

Bout time they got a little respect on here. It's not going to happen, but I think the only games on their schedule that they really should lose are to Miami and Va Tech. Knowing them, they'll probably drop at least one more along the way (most likely at Maryland) and depending on injuries, one more (one of the home games against Pitt and GT), but 9-3 or 8-4 plus a bowl win should make them a top 25 team this year.

Bout time they got a little respect on here. It's not going to happen, but I think the only games on their schedule that they really should lose are to Miami and Va Tech. Knowing them, they'll probably drop at least one more along the way (most likely at Maryland) and depending on injuries, one more (one of the home games against Pitt and GT), but 9-3 or 8-4 plus a bowl win should make them a top 25 team this year.
Despite Groh the team is gowing on me a bit more as wwe head towards the season. An 8-4 should be the bottom point. They will be favored in many games and should get a dcent bowl game.

JGalt--

Give us the low down on UVA v. Wyoming. I think they cover easy, but I'm not thrilled by the road record and offense.

Give us the low down on UVA v. ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Wyoming</ST1:place>. I think they cover easy, but I'm not thrilled by the road record and offense.
<O:p</O:p

All right, I'll give you the Uncle Galtie UVa season preview and give you my outlook on the game.<O:p</O:p

Offense - My brother, Mr Plow, came close to tears when Kevin Ogletree tore his ACL in the spring. He was the lone bright spot from a receiving standpoint on a team last year that never got a rhythm going in the passing game until late in the year, and even then it was spotty at best. This season brought the promise of a young QB, coming off a wrist injury that bothered him last season while he played admirably through the pain, more speed at the RB position, two of the better pass catching TEs in the conference, and returning 2nd team All-ACC receiver Ogletree leading a young group as they mature into good receivers. Without him, UVa brings an underachieving possession receiver, a transfer from a mid-major, and a converted CB. I will never understand how this university continues to be an NFL factory at LB, RB, and OL but cannot recruit a WR to save its life. Now, with the favorite at the RB position (Keith Payne) getting suspended for not keeping his act together academically, you have an offense that looks like it could still be at the same level that it was at the end of last season. The X factor is, without a doubt, Sewell, who is hands down the most talented QB in the conference. We saw glimpses of what he could do last year as a freshman, when he had a serious injury to his throwing wrist, playing in an offense that is not designed to play to his strengths (mobility and a big arm). The o-line has looked great, with a ton of experience returning and a couple of future NFLers (Albert and Monroe) anchoring the left side. No concerns here. This season, Mike Groh (ugh) has committed to building more around his QB for hopefully the next 3 seasons, working option plays along with rollouts into the arsenal. This is the area that will be the difference between 8 and 10 wins.<O:p</O:p

Defense – Talent. On the line, there are two NFL players at the DEs (Fitzgerald and Long) and a great college player who will only get better in Collins at NG. The linebackers all started last year and have each shed considerable weight to make this defense quicker. Copper and Appleby have looked great in the spring and the talented-but-oft-injured Clint Stintim is finally down around 240 or so after ballooning up to the point where he was just too slow to compete last year. Dias has also picked up his game, but will be pushed by very talented young players in Williams and Fells-Danzer. There are as many as 7 guys on this unit who should play at a high level this year and improve upon a surprisingly great year brought out of them by ultra-aggressive DC Mike London, who will probably not be in C’ville very long if he continues coaching the way he did last year. The secondary, as usual, is where the problems might lie. On one side, you have maybe the best all-around CB in the conference in Chris Cook (no matter what the preseason mags tell you). He’s big, he’s got great speed, he hits, and his instincts are off the charts. He was so good last year that he showed up Marcus Hamilton, who many thought was going to be a first team all ACC selection going into last season, and was the one who they put on Calvin Johnson in the GT game, where he really held his own, especially for a freshman. This is the good news. The bad news is that the rest of the group are question marks. On the other side of the field is another talented sophomore in Vic Hall, whose athleticism is so far off the charts that the coaching staff spent his whole redshirt year just trying to figure out which of the many positions he can play would be best for him. They decided on CB, where he played admirably last year as ballhawk with quick feet and loose hips, but he’s a midget and is really an offensive player (high school QB) by nature. He played well in the dime last year, but there are concerns with him having to stick big receivers all year, especially since teams are going to avoid Cook and go at him the majority of the time. This was not necessarily a big potential issue until Mike Brown, the experienced corner who was the competition for the spot, blew out his knee and will not be here to solidify the spot, and Chris Gorham has been moved to WR where he will see a good amount of playing time. Best case scenario is that Hall learns fast and his size does not kill him in coverage. Not where you necessarily want to be going into the season. The safeties, along with receivers, are the worst position on the team. This is another area where Groh, despite everything he has done with the other areas, just cannot recruit. Jackson, Lyles, and Glaspy would all probably not be starting for any other top 25 caliber school. They are all slow, none are big hitters, and really do not defend well against the deep ball. There were times last year when you almost wanted Groh to just grab any two of the 5 3-4 star recruits that he had sitting on the bench at RB and just throw them out there to see if they could do better than the guys out there. The one potential bright spot might be the highly regarded but underachieving Lyles, who had what probably would be a career ending injury for most to his neck, and the miraculous comeback he has made to this team. The hope is that the perseverance it took for him to make it back from a potentially catastrophic injury will help him to channel some of the talent that he possesses and finally live up to the hype he had coming into school. Again, this is not where you want to be, but I’m trying to put a positive spin on things.<O:p</O:p

Coaching – The good news is that Al knows that if they don’t win 9 reg season games and the bowl this year, he’s coming up on potentially his last season in town in 2009. Him and his retarded frat boy son killed the team in games last year with their play-not-to-lose bullshit playcalling (lace w:st="on">W. Michigan</ST1:place>, and ECU) and Groh has not won a big game on the road in his entire tenure there. This year, the team has the softest schedule in recent memory, with only two games they should lose (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:State w:st=
<ST1
><st1:State w:st=
Maryland</st1:State>, <ST1
><st1:City w:st=
Miami</st1:City> and VPI) and three winnable games that I could see them losing (home against GT and Pitt and at <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">Maryland</ST1:place></st1:State>, where they always lose). This is the year to make a statement, lets finally have something to show at the end of the season when the Hoos have 7 players drafted every year but somehow only win between 5-8 games in a weak conference. You guys will laugh at me, but apart from the schools that are always in the BCS games (USC, the <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State> schools, <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State>, <ST1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State></ST1:place>, OSU, etc.), who has more players in the NFL than UVA? Honestly, none. They consistently get players who are more than capable of playing at a high level but almost never seem to step up when they really need to, and I have to believe that this comes down to preparation and coaching. Promises and excuses have been made, Al, now it’s time to step the fuck up and convince me to buy season tickets again, you old shitbag. <O:p></O:p>

With that, I tell you that I have a very hard time betting the Hoos on the road, but it will be very disappointing if they don’t win this game at <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">Wyoming</ST1:place></st1:State> by 13-17 points. I know <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">Wyoming</ST1:place></st1:State> has a good one at QB in Sween and decent RBs, but I see their line struggling against the aggressive UVA front and the receivers are not necessarily the kind of guys that are going to be able to give Sween a lot of help when he’s running for his life. This should be a fairly low scoring, defensive affair that I could see UVA winning 23-10 or 23-17 where the Hoos put up points running the ball against a weak front and maybe getting Sewell loose on the outside for some big plays. This one MIGHT make my card for a small play, but with the uncertainty at WR and DB and better options on the board, I will probably just watch and take notes.<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
Back