Portland vs. Golden State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Trail Blazers vs. Warriors NBA Picks and Predictions

Portland Trail Blazers vs. Golden State Warriors
Sunday, January 3, 2020 at 8:30 p.m. ET at Chase Center in San Francisco, California

Trend

Golden State has faced three teams that made the playoffs last season: Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Portland.

Against those three teams, Golden State lost by an average margin of 30 points. The Warriors lost all three of those games by over 20 points despite not being dogged by more than 10 points in any one of those games.

When the Warriors match up with higher-quality teams, they are coming up short to a degree that is not being appreciated by NBA oddsmakers.

So the question is: what are the Warriors missing and how will their shortcomings matter in tonight’s game?

Bad Offense vs. Bad Defense

Results show that the Warrior offense is non-competitive against stronger opponents.

While the Warriors scored an average of 122.5 points against bottom-feeders Chicago and Detroit, they failed to reach 100 points against the Nets, Bucks, or Trail Blazers.

A Warrior backer may counter: well, look at Portland’s defensive statistics. We know that Portland is playoff-caliber offensively, but what about defensively?

It’s true that Portland’s defense seems to be bad by statistical measures like scoring defense.

Towards the beginning of the season, the Trail Blazer defense ranked towards the bottom in scoring defense and it still ranks closer to the bottom in this category.

But there are two things to note: Portland is trying to do new things defensively. So the road will be bumpier especially at the beginning. Statistics are season-long. So they will always reflect that initial learning period.

Two, the Trail Blazers have shown long stretches where they display minimal effort on defense.

However, in its more recent games, Portland has absolutely shown the ability to turn it on defensively and to play strong defense for long and decisive periods of time. You can expect this effort from Portland in games where it is competitive.

Against Houston, for example, Portland allowed 68 first-half points.

But the team held serious discussions during which players discovered untapped determination. Portland was able to win largely because it allowed 58 points combined in the third, fourth, and overtime periods.

Portland put its motivated defense on display also against the defending champs, whom Portland held to below their scoring average in its upset victory.

More Offense Than Defense

When the Trail Blazers held Golden State to fewer than 100 points, they showed that their poor defensive statistics were also a reflection of opponent quality.

At such an early stage in the season, statistics are deceiving to look at for this additional reason: parts of schedules can be very imbalanced in that, as in Portland’s case, a team can face a lot of other good teams on consecutive game-days.

So Portland gave up a lot of points to teams like the Clippers and Jazz that made the playoffs last year.

In fact, Golden State was Portland’s first soft opponent.

The Trail Blazers are always going to be known for having one of the NBA’s better offenses — they currently rank ninth in points per game — because of their two starting guards.

Against Golden State’s offense, the Trail Blazer offense was significantly better than its defense even needed to be.

Golden State’s Offense

Portland’s defense has a large margin of error against Golden State because the Warriors regularly struggle to score against non-bottom-feeders.

Draymond Green returning has arguably made things more difficult because the players are having a difficult time coexisting and creating positive spacing for each other.

Green, also, had not played in over nine months and hadn’t played with Steph Curry in over a year.

Speaking of fit, newcomer Kelly Oubre seems to be a terrible fit in the Warrior offense. He looks uncomfortable, unsettled, out of rhythm, and he lacks chemistry with his teammates on the floor. Right now, his three-point percentage is four.

These issues of fit and chemistry are too massive to approach resolution in any nearer future.

The Warriors also lack developed quality. While new first-round pick James Wiseman is talented, he hardly cultivated playing experience in college let alone in the NBA.

Portland’s Offense vs. Golden State Defense

Opposing backcourts have tormented the Warrior defense, which ranks last-place in allowing an average of 124 points per game.

In only one Golden State game did an opposing offense have a big man as its leading scorer. That one opponent was Detroit, which scored only 106 points and lost.

So offenses score enough against the Warriors when they are spearheaded by their guards.

Portland’s offense is in the hands of guards Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum. Both easily lead the Trail Blazers with 28 and 25.2 points, respectively.

The Verdict

Golden State regularly fails to come close to covering the spread against playoff teams.

Tonight, Portland will prolong Golden State’s losing trend against playoff teams. The Trail Blazer defense is good enough to contain a Warrior offense that is filled with problems, problems of chemistry, development, and quality.

Offensively, the Trail Blazers are spearheaded by two guards who will put up a lot of points against the league-worst defense which would much rather face a more frontcourt-centered team.

Best Bet: Trail Blazers -5 at -108 with Heritage

Warriors are a bad team. Wiggins and oubre together are a bad fit, one of them needs to go, and Green isn’t what he was even just 2 years ago. As great as he is Curry can’t do it himself and they just don’t have consistent help around him. Portland just hammered them and I expect the same here. I’ll be honest, a little alarmed by Portland’s horrid d. They were bad last year, and I know they lost a shot blocker in Whiteside, and Collins is hurt, but I figured having nurkic back and starting 2 really good perimeter d wings in Jones and Covington that they would be better

Great stuff yet again. I’m going to play devil’s advocate a little bit: All the above is totally on target if Portland plays up to its capability. I think, with Gary Trent coming back, Portland may still beat the crap out of the Warriors. The potential problem in my eyes, is LiIlard, who has lost me a lot of money over the years with his attitude of thinking certain opponents/games are beneath his full competitive effort. I don’t know, but I am assuming that Lillard did not go back to Portland after the first game, and has been hanging around his home neighborhood of Oakland, which could magnify his tendency to see this game as inconsequential. In November of 2019 I think Lillard’s attitude was a big factor in the Blazers‘ 127-118 loss to an even more hobbled Warriors team in Oakland. Again, though, if Gary Trent goes nuts on 3-pointers, and MvcCollum continues to play well, it might not matter what Lillard does...

Back