Portland threatens to sue anyone that signs Darius Miles...

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
NBA, union to discuss Miles matter

<!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- Darius Miles was due to clear waivers at 10 a.m. ET Friday. Whether he did was not immediately clear.

In fact, everything surrounding the Miles affair -- the possibility of him returning to the NBA this season, and the negative salary cap ramifications he would cause for the Portland Trail Blazers -- took a complicated and controversial turn Friday after the club sent a memo to the 29 other NBA teams threatening litigation against anyone who signs Miles or claims his contract off waivers if it is solely for the purpose of burdening the Blazers' cap.<!--INLINE MUG-->
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
The matter has been added to this afternoon's agenda at a previously scheduled meeting between NBA and players' union attorneys, ESPN.com has learned.

If Miles plays two more games, then his Blazers contract, worth $18 million total for this season and next, would count against Portland's salary cap and force the team to pay the NBA's luxury tax next summer. The contract had been removed from salary cap and tax considerations when the Blazers deemed Miles medically unable to play and released him.

The NBA and the union had no immediate official comment, with all sides -- not to mention the other 29 teams -- apparently having been blindsided by the boldness of the Blazers' e-mail.

"Darius Miles is focused on one thing -- that's returning to play basketball. That's it. He's not focusing on any of those other issues," said agent Jeff Wechsler, who was on the phone Friday morning with union attorneys trying to devise a strategy to confront what many around the league were describing as an unprecedented situation.

The Blazers' e-mail, signed by team president Larry Miller, states that if any team were to sign the free-agent forward "for the purpose of adversely impacting the Portland Trail Blazers' salary cap and tax positions ... the Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation."

The full text of the e-mail, according to reports by SI.com and Yahoo! Sports, reads:

" 'Team Presidents and General Managers, 'The Portland Trail Blazers are aware that certain teams may be contemplating signing Darius Miles to a contract for the purpose of adversely impacting the Portland Trail Blazers Salary Cap and tax positions. Such conduct from a team would violate its fiduciary duty as an NBA joint venturer. In addition, persons or entities involved in such conduct may be individually liable to the Portland Trail Blazers for tortuously interfering with the Portland Trail Blazers' contract rights and perspective economic opportunities.

'Please be aware that if a team engages in such conduct, the Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation.' "

Teams had believed the collective bargaining agreement said Miles must play 10 regular-season or postseason games in a season for the $18 million to count against the Blazers. But six preseason games Miles played for the Boston Celtics counted toward the 10.

Before the Memphis Grizzlies waived him on Tuesday night to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the rest of the season, Miles served a 10-game drug-related suspension and then played two regular-season games, pushing his total games played to eight. Had they not waived him, Miles' contract with Memphis would have become guaranteed for the remainder of the season. It was not clear whether the Grizzlies had planned to re-sign Miles to a 10-day contract after he cleared waivers.

Basically because Miles was deemed to have suffered a 'career ending injury' his salary was wiped off the books as far as the Blazers salary cap goes...

If he plays 10 games this year, then his injury wasnt 'career ending' and his cap number would count this year and next...

That would basically be about a 9$ million hit to the Blazers cap next year and pretty much prevent them from signing a big time free agent...

So they send out an email telling no one to sign him just to screw them over!!!

If I was Mark Cuban or someone, Id sign the guy, play him two games, cut him and immediately release a memo that read:

"Fuck you, Blazers"

Agree. Darius was a good player and could still be a good player. They never gave him any chance and this memo ---well if I was Darius I would sue them and if I was Cuban I would sign him instantly.

Darius should sue. This is dumber than when Butch Carter tried to sue camby in the play-offs....

on second thought maybe not.

Shit if I was any Western Conference team there is no doubt I would sign this guy play him for 2 games and cut him. The last thing they need is the Blazers, the best young team in the NBA to get a huge amount of money to go out and sign a stud FA

I would love to see the legal precedent on this one. You can tell Portland did not have its lawyer look at that email before it was sent out. Stupidity at its finest.

Grizz signed miles to a 10-day contract

hmm.... are the grizz really that upset that the trade rumour surrounding conley-outlaw didnt work out?

Grizz message : you don't want to give us a small forward we covet, we'll get another one that can screw you (blazers)

Comments:
-If the griz are seriously going to pursue this matter, they need to be smart (meaning make it look legit, not just play miles two games and waive him, make things look real, give him playing time, more 10 day contracts and etc)... if they dont do this smart, league will investigate and blah blah etc etc will happen

-Uh oh real bad for the blazers
1. they go over the cap and lose flexibility
2. they help other teams by giving them money probably around 100k to 200k each (being over the cap)
3. they lost all the money they could spend in 2009 free agency
4. Lafrentzzzz expiring contract would be useless (if grizz play miles two more games, they will need to trade raef, making his contract expire would be useless)

real interesting to see what happens

Last edited:
Grizz can do whatever they want. Play him for 2 days and drop him, who says that is illegal.

What if the Grizz picked him up so they could trade him and conley for outlaw or whoever they want?

Wouldnt it be smart for the Blazers to get miles so they can make sure he doesnt play in two more games???

I guess that would require the grizz to sign miles to more than a 10 day contract, but its an interesting thought i think...

A very classy answer to Portland's arrogance from Cleveland's owner :) :

“With all due respect…although the Cleveland Cavaliers have no interest in signing Darius Miles and will not be signing Darius Miles,” Gilbert wrote, “I find your email quite peculiar from two standpoints:
“1. It’s dead wrong. I believe that all 30 NBA teams were and are fully aware of the terms and provisions of the collective bargaining agreement as to which all teams and the NBA are a party to, including the Portland Trailblazers.

“2. Are legal threats through a mass email the best way to circumvent the known potential consequences that could result from the Trailblazers decisions and actions they took with respect to Darius Miles?
“I fully understand the frustration you and your team’s ownership must be feeling in regards to this situation, but a preemptive threat of ‘litigation’ directed at all of your partners through a group email does not sit well with me and seems to be incongruent with the spirit of keeping a ‘fiduciary duty’ and good ‘partner-like duty’ to your ‘NBA joint venturers.’
“I would think there has got to be a better tactic than this one.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...=aw-gilbertresponse010909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
:smiley_acbe:

blazers were being dicks on the issue, but it's a shame we can't see what would have happened with this young, exciting team if they had that extra cap space

Back