Pocono 325 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Salivating Match-Up Bet For Saturday Pocono 325

NASCAR Cup Series Pocono 325
Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. ET (FOX) at Pocono Raceway

First Leg Of A Doubleheader

On this weekend, we get two races at Pocono: one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Saturday’s installment is the Pocono 325.

Track Info

This race is thus named because, in completing 130 laps, drivers will have accumulated 325 miles.

The track is relatively long at 2.5 miles.

One would think that higher speeds were encouraged at Pocono because of the long straightaway.

To be specific, Pocono presents two straightaways. The length of one of the straightaways measures at 3,740 feet or .708 miles. At this length, this straightaway is the longest one on NASCAR’s Cup Series circuit.

While there are two straightaways — one very long, one shorter — there are three turns.

Because it consists in three turns, and because each turn is different, Pocono Raceway is known as "The Tricky Triangle."

When you view Pocono’s Raceway from a topographical point of view, then you can perceive a triangle.

These turns help undercut the track’s ability to encourage higher speeds, which is generated by the long straightaway.

For higher speeds, we want higher banking.

In this respect, the first turn isn’t too bad in terms of banking. It measures at 14 degrees.

But the other two turns only amount to eight and six degrees, respectively, of banking.

A fourth turn was under consideration. But, as the fourth turn is coined „calamity corner“ at many tracks, officials deemed it safer to forego a fourth turn.

Still, the turns are tricky for drivers to navigate because of their geometric diversity.

Plus, their specific construction poses a challenge to the handling ability and grip levels of NASCAR vehicles, inducing crews to make difficult adjustments that would normally seem out of place for a longer track like this one.

Match-Up Betting

Oddsmakers have released match-up betting opportunities well in advance of Saturday’s race.

The analytical advantage here is that we are focusing on how two drivers stack up against each other. How either driver fares against the rest of the field is completely irrelevant.

My match-up of choice, to focus on, is between Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr. BetOnline has Busch favored at -135 to finish ahead of Truex Jr.

I want to back Busch in this match-up. Here’s why:

Form

It’s true that both drivers performed poorly in their last race at Talladega.

Since both Busch and Truex Jr. drive a Toyota while, based on recent winning history, the Ford drivers seem to have an advantage at Talladega, i’m willing to look past this single bad race.

But, this is now the second poor effort in a row from Truex Jr., Before finishing 23rd at Talladega, he finished 12th at Miami a week prior.

In contrast, since the return of NASCAR in May, Busch has shown a wonderful tendency to bounce back from a poor race.

After each of his last three finishes outside the top 10, Busch came back to finish top-six in the next race. So I can only expect Busch to bounce back on Saturday.

History

Busch has also dominated the recent history at Pocono.

In the last four events at this raceway, Busch has the best finishing position by far. He averages a 3.50 finishing position while the next best is nine.

Out of these four races, Busch has won two and he boasts three top-five finishes.

Conversely, Truex Jr. averages a 13.50 finishing position in his last four efforts at Pocono. So, on average, he has been finishing 10 spots behind Busch.

The Verdict

Given his tendency to bounce back and his superior recent history at Pocono, Kyle Busch should be the recipient of a trusting and confident investment.

For the above reasons, bet on him to finish ahead of Truex Jr.

Best Bet: Kyle Busch (-135) over Martin Truex Jr. with BetOnline

I'm with you, VC. However, if you're betting outrights, you normally have to pick a few. Unfortunately, I wasn't offered your matchup, but I agree with you on it for sure. First glance I like

Logano over Blaney -115
Elliot over Keslowski -115
Kurt over Jones -115
Byron over Jimmie -125

However, not locking anything in right now

Followed CPA's lead - locked in for tomorrow

Kyle Busch -125 over Harvick
Erik Jones -125 over Kurt Busch

That'll be it for tomorrow's race since I'll be out on the lake - probably have a few more than that for Sunday when I'll be watching - Did already go ahead and lay the juice with Briscoe over Cindric in Sunday's Xfinity Race. I got -167. Not a ton of data for them at this track, but he's the class of the group and typically runs well at the longer tracks. Cindric wouldn't even be in my top 5 of racers for Sunday. Hopefully don't run into my Xfinity luck like when I took Briscoe over Dale Jr. heavy.

Back