Pocono-2 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Explore the Pocono Mountains 350 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Explore the Pocono Mountains 350
Sunday, June 27, 2021 at 3:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN) at Pocono Raceway in Lake Pond, Pennsylvania

Second Leg of a Doubleheader

NASCAR is treating us with a two-race weekend.

To avoid any confusion, I note that I already covered the first race, which will take place Saturday.

This article is devoted to establishing the best betting approach for this weekend's second race at Pocono, which will be Sunday.

Race Info

For this racing event, drivers must complete a total of 140 laps.

As has been the normal thing to expect, this race consists in three stages.

Stage 1 requires drivers to finish 30 laps. Stage 2 ends after the 85th lap. Stage 3 concludes with the completion of the 140th lap.

Just like in previous weeks, an entry list has been posted for this event. The entry list is the same for Sunday's event as it is for Saturday's race. The drivers will be the same in both races.

The starting lineup has usually been set before the race by a predetermined formula.

There will not be any practice or qualifying for this race. Pocono is already a well-known venue to NASCAR drivers. So the formula has taken place of qualifying.

But for Sunday's race, the starting lineup will be based on Saturday's finishing order. On Sunday, the top 20 finishers from Saturday will be inverted. So, for example, the driver that finished 20th on Saturday will start in pole position on Sunday.

Because this is a doubleheader special this weekend, there are a couple additional unique things to note about this race.

One, drivers will use the same car on Sunday that they competed in on Saturday.

If a driver must use a new car on Sunday, then he will be punished by having to start in the rear.

Two, the finishing order of Saturday's race will determine pit stall selection on Sunday.

Track Info

Sunday's race will be run at Pocono Raceway, just like Saturday's.

This is a relatively long track. Each lap requires 2.5 miles.

So in completing 140 laps, drivers will have completed 350 miles. This race is thus slightly longer than Saturday's.

There are three turns at Pocono, each one contributing to an unusual kind of variety that helps characterize the odd shape of this track.

This track is sometimes regarded as a tri-oval, although it looks different than tracks that are definitely known as a tri-ovals because of its different turns.

In addition to length, the turns also differ from each other in the degree of banking that they have.

Turn 1 is banked at 14 degrees. Turn 2 has eight degrees of banking. Turn 3 has six degrees of banking.

This is generally not much banking. The lessened degree of banking discourages driver speed.

Drivers To Avoid

There are drivers who are impossible to rely on at Pocono.

Joey Logano is one driver who is consistently awful here, despite racing a lot of times at this track.

Out of the 27 NASCAR Cup Series tracks that he's competed at, Pocono is tied for his worst in terms of average finishing position.

Because he's consistently a poor finisher here despite racing so many times at Pocono, one must expect him to struggle in the second leg of this weekend's doubleheader (in addition to the first).

My Guy

For the second leg, I want to invest in a driver who is flying under the radar because he lacks experience.

Such a driver will be priced more attractively as a result of his lack of proven success.

Because this is a two-race weekend, he will benefit to a higher degree from the experience that he will get on Saturday because he has more experience to gain.

The driver who I am thinking of is Erik Jones, who has finished top-five at Pocono in four of his last five tries here and in five of his eight career tries here.

Jones typically finishes better in the second leg at Pocono.

Last year, for example, he started the second leg in 38th and still managed to finish third.

Best Bet: Erik Jones To Win (Odds TBA)

I played Kyle Busch to win at +700 this morning, he is at +600 now, which I would still bet. This is the perfect scenario for him. He is better when he gets practice. He had a race to practice yesterday and had a top 3 car and the best car/driver (Larson) will be in a backup car today. The only thing going against Kyle is he is not driving a Hendrick car.

Last edited:
I played Kyle Busch to win at +700 this morning, he is at +600 now, which I would still bet. This is the perfect scenario for him. He is better when he gets practice. He had a race to practice yesterday and had a top 3 car and the best car/driver (Larson) will be in a backup car today. The only thing going against Kyle is he is not driving a Hendrick car.

I agree. Thinking KB is the play today. I waited to long and missed +800 yesterday.

I'm looking at Logano -110 over Blaney -122

Somehow that worked out. Kyle Busch probably had the best car but won because of strategy or luck depending on your point of view.

Back