Playoffs - someone explain this to me?

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
I'm confused fellas. Can someone explain the playoff breakdown for me?

Yahoo has games listed for the playoff breakdown and it seems like a contradiction to me:

NL:

Cubs - division winner with best overall record
Phillies - division winner with 2nd best overall record
Dodgers - division winner with 4th best overall record
Brewers - wild card with thrid best overall record

AL:

Angels - division winner with best overall record
Rays - division winner with 2nd best overall record
Minny/White Sox - division winner with 4th best overall record
Red Sox - wild card with 3rd best overall record

So in the AL the Angles play Boston, and the Rays play the central winner.

Why aren't the Cubs playing the Brewers? IN the National league the Dodgers are having to play the Cubs.... If this were kept in line with the way the AL is being done, the Dodgers and Phils would play????

I'm sure there must be some explanation for this, but I'm dying to hear one....

Thanks BrianK.

Another reason that MLB is the most mismanged sport in the US.

SO the Dodgers get penalized and have to play the best overall team in the NL because the Brewers and Cubs are in the same division? This is
one of the most assanine things I've ever heard. What is the difference if these teams end up playing in the first OR second round. They play 162 games to solidify their spots in the postseason, and a rule like this basically negates the advantage of winning your division.

Bud Selig is a nightmare....

I believe the 1st place team w/ the best record plays the wild card team unless that team is in the same division. Cubs & Brewers - same division so Cubs then play the 1st place team w/ the worst record.

Thanks BrianK.

I'll take MLB's playoff structure, where you actually have to earn a playoff spot, over the NBA and NHL's "Let's invite half the league!" playoffs.

I agree with you Rolub (love the avatar by the way). Although I do like hockey's playoffs (the grind is part of the excitement) but I barely consider the NBA a sport. The number of teams in baseball is fine too, it does reward the teams for having a strong performance in the regular season.

And I agree with Smokedawg that all series should go seven games.

But I don't like the re-seeding of teams beacuse two of them are coming from the same division. The Dodgers are getting royally fucked by having to play their opening round against the team with the best home record in the NL, while Milwaukee gets to come in as a wild card and play a Phillies team that is the second overall seed.....

If they are going to have a "wild card" in MLB, then they should have the toughest road to the World Series and they should play the #1 seed, regardless of what division they came from. Anyway you look at this, MIlwaukee, Philadelphia and Chicago are reaping the benefit of this, while the Dodgers are getting screwed big time.

I dont really see how the Dodgers are getting screwed...

They have the worst record and are playing the team with the best record...thats the way it should be

Now the Angels...theyre getting screwed

Thanks BrianK.

SO the Dodgers get penalized and have to play the best overall team in the NL because the Brewers and Cubs are in the same division? This is
one of the most assanine things I've ever heard. What is the difference if these teams end up playing in the first OR second round. They play 162 games to solidify their spots in the postseason, and a rule like this basically negates the advantage of winning your division.

Bud Selig is a nightmare....

sc-Your reasoning is flawed. The Dodgers won fewer games than the Brewers. They deserve no favors for having 'won' their division. It amazes me how people believe geography is more important than the actual games on the field.

But they (LAD) are still the division winner Smoke. True they have the worst record in the NL, but the wild card should be just what the name indicates - a "wild card" with an outside shot that squeaks into the playoffs.

If winning the division doesn't guarantee a better playoff seeding than a wild card, why not do away with divisions entirely and just take the teams with the top four winning percentages and seed based on that.

Music city - "It amazes me how people believe geography is more important than the actual games on the field."

This quote proves my point exactly. Because the Cubs and Brewers are in the same division we have re-seeded things based on the way the seeding is supposed to be done under current MLB rules.

What I'm getting at here is that they need to pick a way to seed the teams and stick with it, regardless of how many teams come from one division. Its being handled two different ways in each league because Mil and the Cubs are in the same division. You can make the arguement that Boston is getting screwed because they have a better record than the central winner. Whatever the case, pick a system and stick with it. I personally think it sucks, and this is another in the long list of reasons why Bud Selig is single handedly ruining the game of baseball.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Music city - "It amazes me how people believe geography is more important than the actual games on the field."

This quote proves my point exactly. Because the Cubs and Brewers are in the same division we have re-seeded things based on the way the seeding is supposed to be done under current MLB rules.

What I'm getting at here is that they need to pick a way to seed the teams and stick with it, regardless of how many teams come from one division. Its being handled two different ways in each league because Mil and the Cubs are in the same division. You can make the arguement that Boston is getting screwed because they have a better record than the central winner. Whatever the case, pick a system and stick with it. I personally think it sucks, and this is another in the long list of reasons why Bud Selig is single handedly ruining the game of baseball.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

They did pick a way and stick with it...best record plays worst record unless said worst record is from the same division, in which case best record plays 2nd worst record - its always been that way

I'm not seeing eye to eye with you guys on this one. I don't see what being in the same division has to do with re-seeding the teams.....

I guess that's rule, but the rule doesn't make any sense to me.

But they (LAD) are still the division winner Smoke. True they have the worst record in the NL, but the wild card should be just what the name indicates - a "wild card" with an outside shot that squeaks into the playoffs.

If winning the division doesn't guarantee a better playoff seeding than a wild card, why not do away with divisions entirely and just take the teams with the top four winning percentages and seed based on that.[/quote]

I'm all for this and I guess we're on the same page but looking at it from different angles. The playoffs should be about the best teams, not geographic affirmative action. I've proposed such a system in bold in the past. It would be much better than the current system.

Another example of Selig ineptness.

Twins have to play at the White Sox determined by a coin flip.

Twins won the season series 10-8.

What a joke.

Another example of Selig ineptness.

Twins have to play at the White Sox determined by a coin flip.

Twins won the season series 10-8.

What a joke.

I've been hearing this argument all day, but its funny that no one mentioned the disparity in strenghth of schedule. If it wasnt for that then this game wouldnt even be played today and the coin flip wouldnt even be talked about because the white sox would have already clinched. The White Sox had 6 games vs the Cubs while the Twins had 6 games vs the Brewers. The Brewers are a good team but the cubs are 7.5 games better than the brew crew. The White Sox had to go to L.A. to face the Dodgers for 3 while the Twins got Arizona at home. Dodgers are 2 games better than the Dbacks. The White Sox had 3 vs Sf while the twins had 3 vs sd. Both shitty teams but SF is 9 games better than SD. FInally, the White Sox played Pitt while the Twins played Washington. Again, both shitty teams but Pitt was 7 games better than Washington. So in reality, the Twins are lucky that they're even in this position to play this game.

you might say karmic justice started with the right team winning the coin flip, now the bounces in the game itself need to go their way....

I think this is the Yankees/Red Sox rule. They wanted to hold off for these two playing in the ALCS instead of the ALDS every year. Sounds like a stupid reason, but why else would they do that? I mean, as mentioned earlier, why penalize a division winner with having to play the best team in the 1st round?

cubs/dodgers and halos/redsox are the best 4 teams in the playoffs IMO.

go cubs.

dodgers aren't getting royally fucked; they had the worst record of all the playoff teams. In this case, it actually worked out...you have the best record playing the worst record in the first round.

Totally agree the first round needs to go to best of 7; I can't imagine what they're waiting for on this.

I've been hearing this argument all day, but its funny that no one mentioned the disparity in strenghth of schedule. If it wasnt for that then this game wouldnt even be played today and the coin flip wouldnt even be talked about because the white sox would have already clinched. The White Sox had 6 games vs the Cubs while the Twins had 6 games vs the Brewers. The Brewers are a good team but the cubs are 7.5 games better than the brew crew. The White Sox had to go to L.A. to face the Dodgers for 3 while the Twins got Arizona at home. Dodgers are 2 games better than the Dbacks. The White Sox had 3 vs Sf while the twins had 3 vs sd. Both shitty teams but SF is 9 games better than SD. FInally, the White Sox played Pitt while the Twins played Washington. Again, both shitty teams but Pitt was 7 games better than Washington. So in reality, the Twins are lucky that they're even in this position to play this game.

How does a schedule created 6 months before the season starting have anything to do with it?

Back