Playoffs overview

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
Posting these kinds of overall predictions is relatively dumb because if you are looking to bet individual games then you really don't want to get into who will beat who in series because it really doesn't matter. But that being said here are my thoughts on the playoffs overall. Take what information you can find.

Sea/Toronto

Both teams have played pretty well of late. Neither has serious injury but Gurriel out for a while for the Jays does hurt their offense. For the Jays, Manoah, Stripling and Gausman have been lights out and I expect to see them in the short series. Gausman does have a boo boo on his finger so who knows about him. Berrios and White have not been very good and Berrios has really struggled. Look for those two to do long relief if it's needed. I bet Seattle to win the pennant World series as one of my long shots but all of their pitchers except Flexen has allowed at least 5 runs in one of their last two starts. They include Sheffield Kirby Ray and Castillo. The most effective of these would be Ray and Castillo but I depend on recent start stats as opposed to name games. I think Seattle can get hot and surprise but it should be Toronto who advances on.

TB/Cle

Both teams have been sketchy at best recently but TB has been worse than Cle. Funny thing is TB pitchers have been really very good in their last two starts. Springs, Glasnow, Kluber, McClanahan, and Rasmussen are that group. I think Glasnow was thrown in there to rest Rasmussen and McClanahan and he did very good. The problem is Rays don't score for shit. Bieber, Quantrill and Mkenzie have been the best for Cle while Plesac and Civale have struggled some. Part of the reason TB has struggled offensively is because of injuries they won't get back in time for the playoffs. The tribe, yes, I said tribe, do score and that should see them through this series but not very far after this one.

Phil/St Louis

Both teams have been up and down recently, but I wonder how much of that was taking their foot off the gas. The only injuries to speak of is Arenado for the Cards but that's a thigh and he should be ready Friday. Philly starters Wheeler and Syndergaard are the only two with good starts in their last two. Gibson and Suarez got crushed in their last start and their ace Nola doesn't seem to pitch great on the road and has been hit every other start no matter where with his first start in this series bouncing to be bad. Cards are another of my longshot pennant and World Series bets. I think the Cards will handle Philly in this one and advance to the next round.

SD/Mets

Both have played solidly recently. The Mets are a little more banged up than the Pads but losing Tatis was a serious blow. SD Manea Musgrove and Snell have been very good recently. Clevinger and Darvish were counted on early but have struggled of late. Bassitt, Scherzer, and degrom are the three best the Mets have and should be unbeatable against anyone but they have not performed very well recently. I predicted, at the start of this season, the Mets were for real because of those 3 starters and a much improved offense from previous years. But now we are in the playoffs and those 3 are struggling some so I am not so sure. Mets fans are thanking god these are now 3 game series because they could be easily beaten in one game. I look for the Mets to rally and win this series because I think SD has a team chemistry problem.

Don't make the critical mistake and think players, especially pitchers, will suddenly rise up to greatness because it's the playoffs. What you have seen from them in their last 3 starts is what you will see from them in the playoffs. Remember fatigue plays a huge roll in MLB after 162 games.

My picks for this round are Toronto, Cleveland, St Louis, and Mets. But this is baseball and anything can happen in a series let alone one game. GL

P.S. If you are going to bet the pennant and World series here are my bets:

Pennant

Seattle $50
Atlanta $50
St Louis $50
Mets $50

World Series

Seattle $50
Atlanta $50
St Louis $50
Mets $100
LA $100