Playoff thread.... might as well get the discussion started...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Cotton Bowl
259 Mich State
260 Alabama -10 my price, would send out 7.5 to open

Orange Bowl
261 Oklahoma -4 my price, would send out 2.5 or 3 to open
262 Clempson

:shake:

Haven't yet updated my database with yesterdays games, so approx.

Bama -8/45.5
Oklahoma -6/68. Agree it should open around a FG

Think people may fall in love with unbeaten Clemson plus

Total 49 on BM, that's an UNDER for me. Really happy to see that, got the key numbers and everything. 29.5-20 forecasted with spread and total. Mich St TT UNDER would be a monster as well. Last time Bama saw a future NFL starter at QB in the post season for Sparty it didn't end well for him. This will be one of the weaker offenses Bama will have seen, IMO.

Total 49 on BM, that's an UNDER for me. Really happy to see that, got the key numbers and everything. 29.5-20 forecasted with spread and total. Mich St TT UNDER would be a monster as well. Last time Bama saw a future NFL starter at QB in the post season for Sparty it didn't end well for him. This will be one of the weaker offenses Bama will have seen, IMO.

:shake:

Cook just isn't an NFL starter

I don't think I totally understand and wanted you to clarify. What I interpreted you say there was that you don't have a high opinion of him and his future. That correct or were you saying something else?

hilarity that it isn't bama 2, ou 3 .... absolute hilarity. Merry Xmas Bama (again)

It has really paid off for us to buy off the refs, ESPN, the SEC, the playoff committee, Rivals/247, and most importantly all of our players and recruits.

Coker won't even get a chance to clean the toilets for a NFL squad.

I wouldn't agree with that. I think at worst he's a great guy to have on a practice squad. He has the arm strength to make throws 95% of ncaaf qb can't. He's intelligent, a leader and has above average mobility. I'm not saying he's gonna start and win in the NFL, pretty sure you have to go back almost 30 years last time a Bama qb started and won a game, but he is a lot better player than he gets credit for. If he was a bit more decisive he would be great.

It has really paid off for us to buy off the refs, ESPN, the SEC, the playoff committee, Rivals/247, and most importantly all of our players and recruits.

Playoff committee and players for sure .. the rest is debatable.

hilarity that it isn't bama 2, ou 3 .... absolute hilarity. Merry Xmas Bama (again)

No kidding. Clemson got screwed despite having its AD and an alumnus on the committee, so it's obvious that they're clueless. There's a huge chasm between MSU and the other three.

Who gives a fuck who you play and where. Clemson's far from screwed. Go win the game.

You know that's bullshit. Clemson has to win two games instead of one. You can argue about whether Clemson should be the #1 seed, but obviously the #1 should have the easiest path, and MSU is basically a bye for any of the other three.

You know that's bullshit. Clemson has to win two games instead of one. You can argue about whether Clemson should be the #1 seed, but obviously the #1 should have the easiest path, and MSU is basically a bye for any of the other three.

They all have to win two games instead of one. MSU is above OU because they won a conference title game, seems that not having a title game has impacted the Big 12 again.

MSU being a bye is a bit harsh. They beat tOSU, Oregon, and an undefeated Iowa who was going to the playoff themselves if they won the game. Their only loss was on a BS call at Nebraska, on top of all of that. They certainly aren't pretty, but they win games. Maybe Alabama steam rolls them, but for MSU, playing Bama is probably the best opponent of the 3.

Oklahoma has certainly impressed, but they lost to Texas. And, again, they didn't play in a conference championship game. I'm not saying I agree with any of it, but it seems that they were penalized for not having that conference title game.

So just to clarify, in the Saban era, Bama has had to 1) beat a team who lost their Heisman finalist QB in the first quarter, 2) beat a conference rival in a rematch they didn't deserve after losing the first meeting between the two, 3) beat arguably one of the weakest teams we've seen in a national title game in the last decade, 4) beat a team that had no business even making the playoff (they actually failed in doing this one), and now 5) beat the team who is far and away the weakest team of the four in the playoff.

Seriously, as great as Bama has been since 2009, have they not caught some type of break every single time they've been in contention?

I so desperately wanted Clemson/Sparty and Bama/Oklahoma, if for no other reason than to see the Tide beat the second and third best teams in the country en route to a national title. Now they have to get past someone I barely have in my top 10 before facing one of the other two.

Side note, I have to imagine the SEC is in for another disappointment this bowl season. My PRs still point to them being the best conference in the country (which could just be perception based to begin with), but I really can't figure why that's necessarily the case anymore. Only two teams in my top 10 and three in my top 15 which is probably the worst I've seen since their dominance started.

If this was in reference to my comment, Brodie was 0-10 as a starter in the NFL. I believe you have to go back to Jeff Rutledge (QB in the 2015 movie, Woodlawn) in 1988 as astounding as that may be.

It was a response to the previous post. Obviously, did not research before replying. I suppose it has been bad for Bama QB's in the league. Wow...

Sparty isn't a great team. But nobody in the field is.

I could make a case that Bama's level is a cut above the rest and I think they match up very favorably with Sparty (style wise)...but this is the first I've heard from anyone that Clemson is somehow on another level than the rest of the bunch. They certainly haven't shown that on the field or in their resume.

Lace 'em up and play...no whining.

So just to clarify, in the Saban era, Bama has had to 1) beat a team who lost their Heisman finalist QB in the first quarter, 2) beat a conference rival in a rematch they didn't deserve after losing the first meeting between the two, 3) beat arguably one of the weakest teams we've seen in a national title game in the last decade, 4) beat a team that had no business even making the playoff (they actually failed in doing this one), and now 5) beat the team who is far and away the weakest team of the four in the playoff.

Seriously, as great as Bama has been since 2009, have they not caught some type of break every single time they've been in contention?

I so desperately wanted Clemson/Sparty and Bama/Oklahoma, if for no other reason than to see the Tide beat the second and third best teams in the country en route to a national title. Now they have to get past someone I barely have in my top 10 before facing one of the other two.

Name me one team that played for a national championship that didn't catch some breaks along the way.

Not sure how 4 was such a lucky break given the outcome of the games. Actually seemed quite unlucky...

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you, great post

They all have to win two games instead of one. MSU is above OU because they won a conference title game, seems that not having a title game has impacted the Big 12 again.

MSU being a bye is a bit harsh. They beat tOSU, Oregon, and an undefeated Iowa who was going to the playoff themselves if they won the game. Their only loss was on a BS call at Nebraska, on top of all of that. They certainly aren't pretty, but they win games. Maybe Alabama steam rolls them, but for MSU, playing Bama is probably the best opponent of the 3.

Oklahoma has certainly impressed, but they lost to Texas. And, again, they didn't play in a conference championship game. I'm not saying I agree with any of it, but it seems that they were penalized for not having that conference title game.

in the words of the great buckeye burrito, you could also talk about the luckbox that occurred for them in the Michigan game, but it's semantics with the Nebby point.

but as GPS mentioned it above, teams en route to championships are both good and lucky and catch breaks...*cue* the argument about GSW and no PG's in their win last year.

in the words of the great buckeye burrito, you could also talk about the luckbox that occurred for them in the Michigan game, but it's semantics with the Nebby point.

Apparently only Alabama gets lucky

but we probably digress ad nauseum about luckbox and the granular things of the season that could have/should have happened.

I didn't like what I saw from Clemson in ACC championship game, they would pull away and let UNC back in it and with a team like Okie, they can put you away if they smell blood...I'm pretty high on Okie, I think Baker is a gamer and they have the players to compete on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure NCAA also wants Okie/Bama badly for ratings

I can understand why Sparty was moved ahead of Oklahoma for getting a top 10 win this weekend. I think Oklahoma is the better team but truthfully this is about finding the most deserving 4 teams, not necessarily the best 4 teams. I think Sparty/OU have fairly similar resumes but Sparty just notched a top 10 win

probably bc you guys paid off the Football Gods too, forgot that on your list.

I thought Saban was Football God? Or is Bear Bryant Football God and Saban Football Jesus? Regardless, yeah they got paid

I don't think I totally understand and wanted you to clarify. What I interpreted you say there was that you don't have a high opinion of him and his future. That correct or were you saying something else?

correct, i think he's mediocre.

I can understand why Sparty was moved ahead of Oklahoma for getting a top 10 win this weekend. I think Oklahoma is the better team but truthfully this is about finding the most deserving 4 teams, not necessarily the best 4 teams. I think Sparty/OU have fairly similar resumes but Sparty just notched a top 10 win

plus since EVERYONE already assuming bama/okla is the title game they didnt want that playing out in the semis..... so mich st is def deserving of moving up since they played and won over the weekend against a quality opponent and it allowed the committee to do so without an issue... setting up the possible okla/bama title game everyone assumes it will be... but clem even though im not high on them as it doesnt seem they have much flow on offense everything just seems to be speed related with them as far as offense goes very gimmicky..... but they will give okla fits not sure why everyone thinks okla is world beaters....... line keeps climbing be tough to keep me off CLEM +4 as i still like there D over okla and the only thing on offense i do like is they can line it up and smash mouth u which could be key come 2nd half with ball control... should be a great game

95 nebraska

Nebraska was one I was thinking, but couldn't remember for sure. Can't remember what year the WR kick against Mizzou was, think it was '98? Anyway, my point was that teams that find themselves in it at the end had some sort of good fortune along the way. Alabama has been there 4 of the last 6, so yeah they appear to have some more luck.

that was '97. i think most of what linde is talking about is luck that doesn't even involve their own games. the committee/polls/bcs/whatever does them favors (rather intentional or not). they need an exact combination of teams to lose and get it. they've def had a horseshoe up their ass, i don't think you can deny that.

correct, i think he's mediocre.

Thanks. I will say I don't think he will be a starter, or a good one at least, in the NFL either but based on his first round projections I would think a team is planning on him being one. The thought of him and Hackenburg as potential NFL starters helps affirm my lack of desire to watch football on Sundays. I would take Brandon Allen real late or undrafted as opposed to going first round on one of those guys

I can't believe they Hack hype. He'll need some serious coaching to get right. He looks scared back there. I prob would be too with that OL, I guess.

It didn't really affect the Big 12. It affected the ACC (negatively) and the SEC (positively).

Sparty isn't a great team. But nobody in the field is.

I could make a case that Bama's level is a cut above the rest and I think they match up very favorably with Sparty (style wise)...but this is the first I've heard from anyone that Clemson is somehow on another level than the rest of the bunch.

You didn't hear that in this thread.

According to the Sagarin raatings, Michigan State has the weakest schedule strength of the four playoff teams, yet their stats aren't in the same ballpark as those of the other three.

Team / O yds per play / D yards per play -- O yards / D yards (margin)

MSU 5.56 / 5.28 ---- 5158 / 4458 (+700)

Clem 6.43 / 4.68 ---- 6638 / 3844 (+2794)
Bama 5.78 / 4.13 ---- 5493 / 3356 (+2137)
Okla 6.95 / 4.68 ---- 6515 / 4208 (+2307)

Back