Pittsburgh/Wake Forest & Georgia/Alabama Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday's Best Bets: Add This College Football Week 14 Parlay

Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 8 p.m. ET (ABC) at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina

Wake Forest's Pass Defense

Assessing an ACC team's pass defense abilities can seem a bit complicated because there aren't many good quarterbacks in the conference, such that it may be easy to overestimate the quality of a team's pass defense.

With this game in mind, though, Wake Forest's pass defense stats actually make its pass defense seem worse than it is.

The reason for this false impression is that the Demon Deacons have struggled to limit the conference's more mobile quarterbacks like Syracuse's Garrett Shrader and Louisville's Malik Cunningham.

But the ACC's strongest quarterbacks are, with the exception of North Carolina's Sam Howell, more the pocket-passing types. Brennan Armstrong is also an exception, but injuries kept him from running for much of the year, including in his Cavaliers' game against Wake Forest.

Wake's pass defense has consistently done a great job of limiting those less mobile quarterbacks.

Armstrong mustered his lowest passer rating of the season against Wake Forest. NC State's Devin Leary produced his third-worst passer rating of the season when playing the Demon Deacons.

When opposing quarterbacks do not pose a threat to run, they tend to perform well worse than their average against the Demon Deacon pass defense.

I like Wake's pass defense in this game because Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett is characteristically an immobile quarterback, which is why he's averaging 2.4 YPC and is unproductive as a runner, whereas guys like Howell regularly exceed 90 rushing yards in a game and average around five YPC.

Pickett, moreover, is the centerpiece of his team's offense.

Wake's run defense is terrible, but Pittsburgh is not the team to exploit it.

The Panthers own the nation's 22nd-highest pass-play percentage, which means that Wake's pass defense will continually be able to flex its muscles in this game.

Pittsburgh's Defense

Public perception of Pittsburgh's defense is very positive because of recent Panther defenses which have been superb.

But this year's Panther defense is not like previous Coach Narduzzi renditions.

Pittsburgh repeatedly concedes a lot of points to any good offense that has an able quarterback.

Miami's quarterback, for example, played lights-out en route to a 38-point output.

Tennessee provides another example of a team with a strong offense and able quarterback play, plus its offense is balanced.

Led by quarterback Sam Hartman, Wake Forest has one of the best pass attacks, by various statistical measures, in the conference.

He'll thrive against a Panther team that ranks 82nd nationally in limiting the opponent's passer rating.

Plus, he has running backs Christian Beal-Smith and Justice Ellison for support.

As when Kenneth Walker was on the team, Wake Forest likes to split carries.

Both of the team's current top running backs average around five YPC.

Georgia Bulldogs vs. Alabama Crimson Tide
Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 4 p.m. ET (CBS) at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia

Alabama's Offensive Line

The offensive line has been an issue for Alabama all season.

Its most recent struggles have featured lower-scoring offensive outputs where the opposing front seven was able to create significant pressure.

LSU and Auburn, both heavy underdogs who nearly upset the Crimson Tide, were able to take advantage of Bama's issues with pass protection.

In its last game, Auburn amassed seven sacks and eight quarterback hurries.

Because of efforts like Auburn's, Alabama ranks 86th nationally in limiting the opponent's sack rate.

Georgia Pressure

One reason why I like Georgia's defense so much is that its ability to pressure the opposing quarterback is uniquely high because they've succeeded in recruiting, such that they are able to reload with excellent personnel after losing key pieces last year.

It's difficult for opposing blockers to account for Georgia's pass rush because so many Bulldog players are able to pose a threat.

Five different Bulldogs have amassed at least four sacks this season. The depth is so solid that a former five-star recruit like Jalen Carter is only a backup, despite his obvious explosiveness.

Because of its depth of quality and elite recruiting, Georgia ranks sixth nationally in sack rate.

Bulldog pass rushers will stifle Alabama's offensive rhythm, submit Young to difficult pressure, knock the Bama offense backwards, and do more to help keep Alabama's scoring total low.

Young's ability to remain upright is especially crucial because a Bama running back group that already misses Jase McClellan may also miss leading rusher Brian Robinson Jr., who had to leave the Iron Bowl with a lower body injury.

Georgia Offense vs. Alabama Defense

Offensively, Georgia is absolutely a run-first team, for which reason it owns the nation's 19th-highest run-play percentage.

Bama's run defense, though, is elite. Outside of the Florida game, it has allowed 65.5 rushing yards and 2.0 YPC per game.

It may seem unfair of me to exclude the Florida game from this statistical consideration.

But Gator play-calling exposed a weakness that Georgia will not.

The Gators, under Dan Mullen, liked to use misdirection and other forms of deception, which they could especially because they have a running threat at quarterback in Emory Jones.

Georgia will not bother Alabama because it wants to bully and out-physical opposing defenders. Its running style will play into Bama's characteristic strength, which the Crimson Tide uses quality depth especially in the interior of its defensive line to sustain.

The Verdict

Wake's pass defense will master the threat posed by Pittsburgh's most important offensive weapon, pocket-passing quarterback Kenny Pickett. The Demon Deacon balanced offense, regularly high-scoring as it is, will punish a comparatively weak Panther defense.

Georgia will not bully Alabama's defense, whose run-stopping will limit the Bulldogs' offensive output. Likewise, Georgia pass pressure will punish Alabama for relying too heavily on its first-year starter at quarterback.

Best Bet: Parlay Demon Deacons +3 at -108 & Bulldogs/Crimson Tide Under 50.5 at -108 at +271 odds with Heritage

i think you off your rocker comparing Pickett to those qbs you did, the only thing they have in common is they not runners, pickett light years better than them throwing the ball.. pitt will be able to run and pass on wake and pitt defense gets pressure which i think will cause problems at the mesh point for wake offense. yes pitt will give up some big plays, that a given, but i think they be the only defense getting stops.

i kinda disagree with your premise that pitt wont exploit wake terrible run d also, lately pitt has kinda gotten away from it but for a large part the season they were damn near 50/50 pass/run, that has fallen off to 55/45 for season so im assuming they have prob been closer to 60/40 the last several weeks but deep down pitt likes to maintain balance, they just dont rely on the run game to produce much, i think they will find success when they do run in this one. honestly i think pitt will be able to do whatever they want on offense. I agree pitt d isnt as good as past versions but the front 7 is still really good, they rank 7th in the country in sack rate and 5th in opponents ypc, think they really high in the creating havoc department as well, i really believe they will be able to disrupt wake at the mesh point that hartman holds longer than anyone which that when ive seen them struggle. pitt is every bit as capable of doing that as clemson did, they will get burnt much more on the back end but im confident the pitt offense can control the game and score more than enough to make up for the times the d gets torched.

i dont hate the bama/uga under, dunno if i love it but im real interested in bama team total under.

I like Wake's pass defense in this game because Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett is characteristically an immobile quarterback, which is why he's averaging 2.4 YPC and is unproductive as a runner, whereas guys like Howell regularly exceed 90 rushing yards in a game and average around five YPC.

Pickett, moreover, is the centerpiece of his team's offense.
Pickett's been sacked less than Hartman, and on non-sack rushing plays, Pickett averages more than 6 yards per carry, while Hartman averages less than 3. I've watched Pickett a lot, and he can run just fine.

Led by quarterback Sam Hartman, Wake Forest has one of the best pass attacks, by various statistical measures, in the conference.

He'll thrive against a Panther team that ranks 82nd nationally in limiting the opponent's passer rating.
Wake is #1 in FBS with 33 pass plays of 30+ yards.

Sacks aren't factored into passer rating. Pitt is #2 in FBS with 46 sacks and #1 with 347 sack yards.

Wake is #1 in FBS with 33 pass plays of 30+ yards.
Which is a good way to score against Pitt's D, which is designed to stop the run and, this year, allowed just 2.8 yards per rush (4.1 yards per rush after sacks are backed out).

Ultimately, I like Pitt and the over.

And UGA and the under.

Which is a good way to score against Pitt's D, which is designed to stop the run and, this year, allowed just 2.8 yards per rush (4.1 yards per rush after sacks are backed out).

Ultimately, I like Pitt and the over.

And UGA and the under.

Wake will no doubt hit pitt with some big plays, I just don’t think they will be able to drive the field when they don’t hit the shot plays cause I expect on a drive with bunch of plays pitt will hit them for a loss or turn them over at some point because the pressure I think they will get at the mesh point. Just don’t tbink wake d can get the stops I think pitt d will come up with. I hope pitt gets back to being a little more balanced as they were early on cause they can definitely run on wake as well as pass. As you mentioned They protect Pickett really well, he should carve this d.

Assessing an ACC team's pass defense abilities can seem a bit complicated because there aren't many good quarterbacks in the conference

Interesting opening sentence. Pickett, Leary, Van Dyke, Armstrong, Hartman...they are all good?

Interesting opening sentence. Pickett, Leary, Van Dyke, Armstrong, Hartman...they are all good?

i would prob push back some on leary, you forgot Howell tho, there def some good qbs in the acc, at least 2 i think are gonna be nfl starters at some point (pickett and howell).

Howell is good, not as good without the supporting cast around him, but yeah, I left him off intentionally since he hasn't been so hot this year.

Leary, I know, but 35-5 ratio is good.

Howell is good, not as good without the supporting cast around him, but yeah, I left him off intentionally since he hasn't been so hot this year.

Leary, I know, but 35-5 ratio is good.

it so freaking tough to evaluate Howell for me, his whole career he has needed the run game to be real good but a lot of that could very well be his oline is freaking dreadful at pass blocking plus he didnt have much for weapons after all the guys left last year..still think he has a shot to be a nfl qb. leary be in the CFL or whatever new league starting this spring. lol..that is a great ratio but it drives me crazy they throw so much, ncst much better when the 2 backs get 15-20 touches each yet they refuse to do that very often.,

i think you off your rocker comparing Pickett to those qbs you did, the only thing they have in common is they not runners, pickett light years better than them throwing the ball.. pitt will be able to run and pass on wake and pitt defense gets pressure which i think will cause problems at the mesh point for wake offense. yes pitt will give up some big plays, that a given, but i think they be the only defense getting stops.
I agree. I also think Pickett hasn't needed to be very mobile to the WRs and TEs getting open. Because of a such a clean pocket, he's never had to run for his life this year and I don't believe he's a complete Statue per se. Talented QB with lots of talent at positions as well. I liken Pickett to a poor man's Mac Jones who had similar teammates. Good WRs, RBs which really hides at times, how good or bad a QB is.

The problem Pitt has is their Pass Defense and this is where Wake is strongest IMO. Wake doesn't run the ball much though, so their drives are either a short 3 and out, or passing plays moving down the field in chunks.

I like the Over and I played it earlier at 72 and it's dropped (oh well).
I don't like the side as it's a toss up.

I agree. I also think Pickett hasn't needed to be very mobile to the WRs and TEs getting open. Because of a such a clean pocket, he's never had to run for his life this year and I don't believe he's a complete Statue per se. Talented QB with lots of talent at positions as well. I liken Pickett to a poor man's Mac Jones who had similar teammates. Good WRs, RBs which really hides at times, how good or bad a QB is.

The problem Pitt has is their Pass Defense and this is where Wake is strongest IMO. Wake doesn't run the ball much though, so their drives are either a short 3 and out, or passing plays moving down the field in chunks.

I like the Over and I played it earlier at 72 and it's dropped (oh well).
I don't like the side as it's a toss up.

It not even the entire pass d, the pass rush is really good, the secondary gets torched a lot tho! I prefer pitt team total over 36.5, think it actually went up to 37.5 but still fine with that. I’m just not sure wake will continually score, I’ve said a bunch already I know they will hit some big play tds but I’m not convinced they will be able to drive the field when they don’t. I just feel way better with pitt scoring 38+ than I do adding wake output to the equation, i could be off on that and both teams fly over like last night, I just feel better with pitt total. Gl today

Pickett can run. Seen it throughout his career. It's not often but he can run for first downs and TDs

Back