Pittsburgh vs. Jacksonville Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL Preseason Week 2 (+273) Parlay Features Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 7 p.m. ET at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville

The Odds

In scanning the NFL odds, there immediately appears to be something amiss: Jacksonville is favored.

One has to look to fade a favored Jaguar squad.

There may be a few similarly untalented squads that Jacksonville should be favored against at home -- Houston and Detroit might be two examples.

But generally, this Jaguar squad lacks competitive talent.

Poor Offense: Starters and Backups

Through two preseason games -- the Jaguars also played in the Hall of Fame Game -- the Jaguars' difficulty with scoring points has been consistent.

This difficulty might seem surprising given the amount of money that Jacksonville invested in its offense, particularly in its wide receiver corps.

If Christian Kirk and Zay Jones play much, then they still have to develop chemistry with their. new quarterback, Trevor Lawrence.

This need extends to new tight end Evan Engram, who has been notoriously awful at holding onto the ball during Training Camp.

Plus, if Lawrence plays much, then he has to fix his issues with accuracy and decision, which kept him from completing over half his passes in his last preseason game against Cleveland.

After Lawrence, Jacksonville can hardly claim to field NFL-caliber quarterbacks in Jake Luton and CJ Beathard, both of whom struggle to accrue passing yards, to throw efficiently, and to avoid interceptions.

Beyond the free agent signings at wide receiver, Jacksonville's lack of quality at the position shows why it's been the NFL's worst team in the last two years before Kirk and Jones arrived.

Steelers' Deep Secondary

One might want to say: yes, Jacksonville's offense is bad, but didn't the Steeler defense also really struggle last year.

Also, even if Pittsburgh's top defensive players play and are healthy and their new additions play, might their backups might not be expectedly awful?

While their last opponent's high scoring output might cast additional doubt on Pittsburgh's defensive quality, one should expect a strong and focused bounce-back accomplishment from the Steeler defense.

First of all, Pittsburgh's defensive back group is very deep and competitive.

At safety, Karl Joseph might be challenging Miles Killebrew's roster spot.

Even if Joseph's injury doesn't allow him to play, former NFL Draft steal Layne is competing closely with James Pierre among others.

Steeler Cornerbacks

Most especially, Layne enters his contract year and has reportedly been enjoying a very positive Training Camp.

Pierre seems, still, to have an edge on Layne while undrafted free agent Chris Steele is also making noise.

A distinguishing feature of Pittsburgh's more hopeful defensive back roster candidates is their attacking impetus and their physicality.

This physical expression of motivation offers added hope that Pittsburgh's defense will bounce back this week.

But, simply stated, it comes down to the desire to make the Steelers' roster.

Running The Ball

It is harder for a team -- this is true for Pittsburgh as much as any other team -- to stop the opposing pass attack when it also has to worry about the opposing rush attack.

While Pittsburgh struggled to stop Seahawk running backs, running the ball is a known strength and focus for the Seattle offense.

Expect, again, a more focused and more successful revived effort from the Steeler defense against a much softer test.

Jacksonville's rush attack has been anemic through two games.

Against Cleveland, for example, the Jaguars mustered 3.2 YPC on 24 attempts.

On the other side of the ball, the Jaguar run defense has consistently been allowing open lanes through which running backs easily achieve big gains.

In the Hall of Fame Game, for example, Josh Jacobs thrived for Vegas not just because he's Josh Jacobs, but also because he consistently had a lot of room to run.

Big Leads

With the super talented Kenny Pickett developing and thriving -- he was 13-for-15 for 95 yards and two touchdowns in his first preseason action -- Pittsburgh has the firepower to earn a big lead that Jacksonville lacks.

But the Steeler defense won't be as good when Pittsburgh gets a big lead.

The Steelers gave up two 14-point leads in their preseason opener.

This sort of slackness is consistent with the Steelers' vulnerability last year to giving up big leads.

So, one may expect Steeler scoring ultimately to lead to some Jaguar scoring.

Parlay Verdict

Pittsburgh's competitive defense in a bounce-back effort will help the Steeler offense achieve a strong lead.

The "over" will hit as Jacksonville contributes some scoring in what will nevertheless be its third straight double-digit loss.

Best Bet: Parlay Steelers +3.5 at -105 & Over 42.5 at -110 at +273 odds with Bovada

I’m shocked to see Steelers as dogs here, jags qb room after Lawrence sucks! Steelers might not have a great starter but they have 3 guys that should continue performing well in preseason, especially against teams lacking solid depth like jags appear to!!

I think I’d be more inclined to look at Steelers team total over opposed to game, I just don’t trust those 2 qbs that will be playing the 2nd half for jags. Steelers did keep giving the lead back against seattle but even tho neither is great seattle has 2 somewhat competent qb’s battling it out to start and lock has been known to carve up some backups backups in the preseason, jags don’t even have that caliber a qb coming in after Lawrence, dunno how much he plays but gotta assume 1st half be the absolute max.

They have clearly pushed these totals up based off last week so I’m gonna have to really love a over to play it, I’m actually trying to find a few unders as I feel like there might be a bit of value based off last weeks results.

It’s tough to think jags did the right thing giving the kind of money they did to guys I think best suited as a teams 3rd option opposed to being the 1-2 options!! I understand why they did, they had to upgrade the weapons somehow but desperation rarely leads to good long term desicions!! Engram at te has always annoyed me, seems like he has the skill set to be a really good te in this league but for whatever reason he never has consistently been that, lack of work effort or want to I guess? Just happy to be there collecting a check? Not the kind of free agent I want to bring in!!!

I do like Lawrence tho, Etienne should make a impact, and I think pederson was a great hire so I’m kinda torn on the prospects for jags season? I def think they will be improved but not sure how much? They still need to find Lawrence a real #1 wr imo.

Back