Pittsburgh Pirates

frankiegotti

Power Boat Enthusiast
The play tonight for me is Atlanta Braves -149 Single Play

Tom Glavine is a lifetime 22-12 against the pirates with a 3.12 ERA and a whip of only 1.30. I like the braves to get back on track this year and i think it starts tonight with the pirates. I believe Ian Snell is one of those pitchers who get in a groove after awhile. I don';t think he'll start off hot as atlanta has one of the better lineups in the NL.

I will open a pirates thread weekly so it'll avoid any confusion and will keep people without scrolling through endless pages. :cheers:

Tricky thread title...
icon12.gif

Buccos finished up the Spring on a tear, but I don't like those career number vs. Glavine. I wonder how he's done in recent years. I'm looking for a reason to take your boys tonight - but not sure I've found one.

It is not so much as a bet on the braves as a bet against the buccos. I like glavine, i think the more patient hitters will give glavine more problems then the straight power guys (like buccos have any lol). I don't think the braves will be outpitched two night in a row.

Tom Glavine also has a career 3.51 ERA and .257 BAA, but last year they were 4.45 and .281. I do like that Glavine's last two Aprils he has gone a combined 5-3 with ERA's of 2.29 and 2.80 and that his career ERA in April is 2.73. I think there are better stats to measure effectiveness...but he has been a great April pitcher.

I don't know if I'll play the Braves though, Snell last year sported a 1.59 ERA with a 1.03 Whip in April. The Buccos also were a top five hitting team versus lefties in the NL(.784 OPS, 280 BA).

Bay and Laroche have put up big lifetime numbers against Glavine and Nady and Sanchez have also fared well against him.

Not sure what it all means, though I had initially been leaning Pirates and under.

great info big herm, appreciate it....May i ask which site you use to retrieve information?

I wander around..but I created a refreshable web query from ESPN MLB stats in excel with splits for home, away, vR, vL, and overall. For the pitchers splits I was just went to yahoo and checked split stats.

frankie - u going to the home opener next monday?

i was planning on it but my FUCKIN stupid dumb dyke teacher just gave me a 50 pager due by friday so nonetheless i can't go. But as i watch the pirate game now i saw a commercial for a 35$ seat with that you get all you can eat dogs and burgers along with pop too i think.

The site if your interested is:

http://pirates.com/allyoucaneat

Pittsburgh has shown me two things early this year so far.

First, with a change in their batting order the new manager has been able to arrange it in such a way they have hitters in all parts of their lineups that keep the inning alive. They don't have grouping of hitters that are a couple power guys. I really like that because by keeping innings alive they are able to get runs across slowly but surely.

The next thing i noticed is that they should start giving fans a shot to pitch with the current relief help that they have. Their bullpen is so bad, it kind of reminds me of Notre Dame football of 2007 in a way. There starters are going to see extended innings. If Ian Snell turns out to be the guy that pirates are counting on, him and gorzo may have to go 8 innings so no bullpen is used with the exception of the closer.

i was planning on it but my FUCKIN stupid dumb dyke teacher just gave me a 50 pager due by friday so nonetheless i can't go. But as i watch the pirate game now i saw a commercial for a 35$ seat with that you get all you can eat dogs and burgers along with pop too i think.

The site if your interested is:

http://pirates.com/allyoucaneat

i already got my tickets for monday.... those all you can eat seats don't sound too bad, i'll probably have to try them out once this year... they are perfect seats that you need to buy when you come to the game with a stomach full of beer and looking to pig out!

anyways me and a bunch of buddies (like 20+ of us) are going down early on monday... 8-9ish with 2 kegs and a shit ton of food and that fuckin' game cornhole to keep us busy. should be a good time, drop me a pm if you do go. :cheers:

as far as how this year is going, well i missed last nights game 'cuz i was watching a real team, and legit contender win the Atlantic Division. THAT was a great game last night all around- sid, fleury, malkin, everyone was lookin' good. 'an_horse' i can't wait for those playoffs to start!!!!!

i only briefly saw the recap of the pirates though and well wtf is up with Marte? (After Tyler Yates walked Jones, Damaso Marte gave up Teixeira's two-run homer. Marte gave up another run on three straight singles to Jeff Francoeur, Brian McCann and Matt Diaz.) isn't he suppose to be a good? the first game and now last night, he really is looking like crap.

he isn't the only one though... that's been 2 awful, terrible, atrocious last couple innings from our pitching. looks like not much has changed from last year as far as that goes... and yeah i agree if our starters don't start getting some help they will HAVE to keep pitching into the late 7/8 inning, which is not something we want...

lets just hope and pray these first 2 games are not indicative of how the rest of the year will play out... :prayer

i agree, the bullpen needs serious work, hopefully the farm system can put out something, meaning something for the pirates and not other teams around the league.

Have fun at the bucco game, boy would i love to go but i have to much work to do. I would blow it off but since i am graduating in May i have to do everything i can to make sure it happens on time.

The pens are unbelievable. Hopefully the front office can keep them together for years to come because they'lll bring a lot of championships to pittsburgh over the years.

I really think that if the coaching staff and front office can sell the team on the aspect of team and not individual rewards then this team has a better chacne of staying together.

Chicago Cubs -125 Double Play, for some reason the home openers for the pirates are average at best. Since 1999, they are 5-4 which is a winning record but when they have a home opener against the cubs which has been 4 times in the last 9 seasons they are 0-4!!!! For all those that are going to be around PNC park it should be a good time. But for those such as myself that can't get away for it, it should be fun following the box score as well (yea right).

I think Lilly should be able to handle the pirates and pick his spots. One beacon of light for pirates backers in this matchup is recently pirates have hit the cubs pretty well zambrano included. If you are considering playing a side i think the over deserves special attention because of Gorzo's first outing he didn't show the command over his sinker and change up he showed last year. I don't know if it was just shaking the rust off or what but chicago lineup can be brutal.

GL

matt Capps is a commodity for the pirates. They can have incredible trade leverage with him. Reason i am thinking trade leverage is because he pitches a relief position very well and it is one of those positions in the major leagues right now that teams are really in need of.

The pirates could hold on to him but at this point in building there franchise prospects are more important.

matt Capps is a commodity for the pirates. They can have incredible trade leverage with him. Reason i am thinking trade leverage is because he pitches a relief position very well and it is one of those positions in the major leagues right now that teams are really in need of.

The pirates could hold on to him but at this point in building there franchise prospects are more important.

The thing about this is, we always have prospects, who we always develop who we always trade.

Ill tell you why, because we dont have any money. Whenever we do have money we spend it on players like Joe Randa. Ill give them props for signing Ian Snell long term but thats the first good move the organization has made in years. Theres really no 2 ways of looking at it, management has sucked. Maybe with the new management we can improve, but right now im just not a believer.

Well i am kind of becomming a believer in that they are committing themselves to winning. The next case is that they signed Matt Capps to a two year deal a few days ago. I think he will be doing some good things for the buccos. He showed great control and the ability to have great command over his top 3 pitches. Another nice thing is that they brought Dumatrait up from the minors and for some reason how he has great control over two of his pitches but still developing his third pitch.

Hopefully they can get something going as i'm sick of walking into a 350 million dollar stadium thats a quarter full and having the buccos lose by 8 runs.

i`m excited about the new management...They just had the clubhouse freshly painted with the " P " emblem and yellow stripes...On the bright side we are avg 6 runs a game ,too bad we give up 7...Nate / Nady and Doumit looking good...we just released a bunch of low minors leaguers , cleaning house ...I like it , i think Neal has a plan in mind ...lets go Bucs

Burnett may get a callup soon , not sure how long they will keep Meek

Morris, i have to believe will be on a short leash ..Dumatrait may be in line

Will be playing "Yes" Cubs/Pirates to score 1st inn run ...NEITHER TEAM HAS SCORED ONE YET THIS SEASON...Duke and Morris up next for Buccos .

Nady value is rising we may be able to get that 3b prospect from the Pads we wanted in the off season

Last edited:
This team is disgusting and stomach churning to watch to say the least. You don't mind losing, its just the way that they do it over and over.

Was at the opener today and there was not one, not one single inning the entire game when one of the following did not occur:

Pirate picked off first
Pirate thrown out stealing
Wild Pitch
Passed Ball
Blown call while bunting (bottom of the 9th no less)
Walk
Walk with the bases loaded
Bad throw from outfield
Error
Bad throw from infield
That asshole Ronny Paulino laughing after passed ball gets by him and runner takes third

There's more I'm sure, but any hopes I had for a .500 season have already been dashed with that awful bullpen and Paulino behind the plate.

Even when things are going right, such as Maholm on Sunday, as soon as he made that error he totally disintegrated, it was amazing to watch. Geez, you made an error, get over it.

Only 7 games into the season and McClouth has been picked off first twice already.

And if you didn't see it, in the first inning the Pirates turned over the absolute worst double play I have ever seen in 40 years of watching baseball. The shortstop dropped the ball while throwing it to the second baseman, the second baseman - Sanchez - still caught it on one bounce and threw it to first, only the throw was about 5 feet short of the bag and it bounced once and then into the outstretched first baseman's glove. It was like watching T-ball

i`m excited about the new management...They just had the clubhouse freshly painted with the " P " emblem and yellow stripes...On the bright side we are avg 6 runs a game ,too bad we give up 7

Morris, i have to believe will be on a short leash ..Dumatrait may be in line

lol yea really too bad they give up 7 a game.

Morris must be on a short leash, his first time out there he looked jittery. Dumatrait i think is perfect in the positino he is playing now one or two innings every other night is perfect for him because he himself admitted "i approach the way i come to pitch differently and it has worked out for the best now."

This team is disgusting and stomach churning to watch to say the least. You don't mind losing, its just the way that they do it over and over.

Pirate picked off first
Pirate thrown out stealing
Wild Pitch
Passed Ball
Blown call while bunting (bottom of the 9th no less)
Walk
Walk with the bases loaded
Bad throw from outfield
Error
Bad throw from infield
That asshole Ronny Paulino laughing after passed ball gets by him and runner takes third

I agree it is disgusting....I don't remember who is at SS yesterday but they were having an especially tough time. Paulino should be sent to the minors for laughing like that. If he dosen't like the pressure of major league baseball and the seriousness of it then he should try another profession like a hot dog vendor.

Jack Wilson is my other beef. he couldn't clutch hit if he was playing for a heart transplant.

I will call these growing pains because while it may not be all good. The future does look bright as long as they don't deal away good pitching prospects.

i got burnt the fuck up yesterday... got down to the stadium around 10, and didn't leave until around 7....

the clear blue skies, the sun, and about a half a case of IC Light later, i look like an Indian with war paint on and have a stripe across my face from my damn sunglasses!!!!

it was nice that the pirates came back to tie it up, but lost like usual in extra innings. it was a good day, i just kind of wish we could have finished the game in 9 innings instead of 13 or whatever....

i got burnt the fuck up yesterday... got down to the stadium around 10, and didn't leave until around 7....

the clear blue skies, the sun, and about a half a case of IC Light later, i look like an Indian with war paint on and have a stripe across my face from my damn sunglasses!!!!

it was nice that the pirates came back to tie it up, but lost like usual in extra innings. it was a good day, i just kind of wish we could have finished the game in 9 innings instead of 13 or whatever....

sounds like a good time mogo...too bad i was doing lease accounting. I think your story yesterday beats mine. I am going to the game on friday i think unless something comes up. I wouldn't mind seeing Cueto pitch, but i know he won't since he is slated to pitch today.

Seems like Buccos will be turning it around this year. I think the NL central will be the most improved division in the major leagues this year. I think it'll be a close one with the AL central because early on it looks as if every team is a contender.

Pittsburgh Pirates +113 Single Play

Dempster has a strong histroy of not performing well against the pirates. he has an 6.04 ERA accompanying a WHIP of nearly 2. The thing that bothers me about this matchup is that the cubs are hitting left handed pitchers at a rate of .381, i know it's early but it's been a week and a half and those are some great numbers.

Zach Duke on the other hand is doing decent against the cubs with a 4-2 record with a 2.10 ERA, which is pretty good against a division foe. He has a WHIP of 1.24 and a .267 opposing batting average against the cubbies as well.

Duke reminds me of one of those race horses that comes out of the gate flying and slowly but surely becomes one of the last horses to finnish the race. I think Duke is in good form and should prove that later on tonight.

GL

Tough loss last night, but just glad i didn't go with the under, because i would of put a vodka bottle through someone's windshield.

just a few nauseating notes about last night's game stolen from mondesishouse.....

--9,735 (25.4%) people who obviously aren't Penguin fans were on hand.

--The Pirates were one-hit by Ryan Dempster (a closer last year) for seven innings.

--The Pirates were 8-51 (.157) at the plate. :down:

--Zach Duke struck out six and allowed one earned run in seven innings. He was inexplicably left in for 116 pitches.

--The Pirates' team ERA of 5.49 is next-to-last in the NL. :down:

--LaRoche struck out three more times, giving him 13 in 28 at-bats. So while he's batting .107, his strikeout average is an impressive .464. FYI, Jason Bay also has more strikeouts (nine) than hits (seven).

--The 9th-inning home run was Bay's first RBI of the season, and LaRoche's home run produced his first two RBI of the season. It was also LaRoche's first hit in April. To remind you, yes, we're eight games in, and these are supposedly the Pirates' power sources.

:hang: PUKE!

nice to see some fellow pittsburghers in here.

I like the cubs tonight, but i am not sure they sweep the pirates.

Matt Morris for the most part has pitched a good game. His ground ball to fly ball ratio is pretty good prior to the two home run inning. The second home run never should of been hit as the clown they have at short stop Bixler missed a very easy ground ball out and also bautista dropped a perferctly thrown ball to catch a guy stealing. That run ended up scoring as well.

Morris is leaps and bounds better than last years Morris i remembered watching. His location and control has gotten a little better this year than last. I think one of his main problems are when the club starts struggling on the fielding portion then Morris feels he has to put the game on his back and pitch a Clemen's esk type performance. After he started getting hit off of it was clear that he was taking it himself and trying to play out of this world. I think the sooner he gets it through his head that he only needs to pitch within himself the better pitcher he is going to be.

Double Play Pittsburgh Pirates -104

I think that this new guy for cincy is going to get hit around quite a bit and malholm is playing within himself which is exactly what the pirates need from him. The bullpen is diong a great job of not letting in 7 runs in two innings but it's still early so they could still come around to their old form. Cincy is on a two game winning streak and pittsburgh is on a 3 game losing streak, so naturally i will play the law of averages here.

I like the pirates under tonight and got it early for 9 1/2 -110, I think it is down to 9 now.

Maholm pitched one of the best games of his career last time out and then inexplicably went into a melt down after he made an error and then loaded the bases and gave up a grand slam. I've seen a few 'experts' today jump on the over just based on his ERA, but there were reasons behind the high ERA as I just explained.

So I don't think Maholm melts down tonight, plus he has owned the Reds in his last two starts, and again I see experts pointing at his overall record against the Reds without taking into account that his bad games against Cincy was also when Maholm was pitching bad, it didn't have anything to do with what team he was facing. Maholm has been a hell of a pitcher since about mid season last year.

Also, while I don't know much about the Reds pitcher other than he is from the AL, I do know that the Pirates absolutely suck when they face a pitcher for the first time. Add this to the fact that they have played 5 overs and the bullpen is rested and I'm going big on the under.

I am also doing 3 units on a parley of Pitts and Under just cause they still have not won at home. Of course, I don't expect to win any of these bets as no matter what I be on the Pirates I always, always seem to get royally screwed (Case in point, last week I parleyed Pirates and under for 3 units and would have had a sweet payback, but the Braves changed starting pitcher right before the game and my bet was cancelled and of course the Pirate won and it went under). Probably the game will get rained out. Gotta quit betting the home team.

i agree with your statement about maholm. When things start going bad they really start going bad and they start forcing pitches into spots they should of not be fitting them in spots to begin with.

Pirate tonight are looking not too good to me. I think that cincy is the hottest team in that division right now with most of the buzz being around there two new starting pitchers that look very promissing which brings me to tonight that has bronson arroyo pitching. He is the type who seems to get better over time like fine wine.

Bronson Arroyo has a career record of 1-3 against pittsburgh with a ERA at 4.65 and a OBA of .275. I really think that he will be effective today as it is a little chilly in pittsburgh and i don't know what it is but it seems that early in the season when it is cold out that teams bats are pretty dead.

I think that cincinatti will have a easy time of snell who i think will be in pittsburgh for some time to come as his change up is looking a little better this year than last. Although, his changeup still has some improvement to go but i think cincy hitters will have a time of him tonight.

Therefore:

Cincinatti Reds +113 3 Units

Under 8.5 -120,

Cincinatti is having trouble leaving runners on base. Cueto on the other hand is a magician on the mound and i belive that it will continue today as he is doing very well. The only extraneous factor in this matchup is the fact that Gorzolanny he has a bit off thus far this year and his movement on his pitches havent' been what they were last year.

Pittsburgh is hitting the ball and managing to getting their runners across the plate as they are doing what they can with what they've got. I can see a 5-3 cincy win.

GL./

a recap to the start of the Buccos season, stolen from mondesishouse....

- We're 18 games into the season, so let's get a look at where the 2008 Pittsburgh Pirates (those of the "changed culture" variety) stand:

Standings? 7-11, 1/2 game out of last place in the NL Central. Outscored 117-81.
Pitching? Their 5.26 ERA is last in the NL and next-to-last in the majors.
Fielding? Their 22 errors and .969 fielding percentage are the worst in the majors.
Batting? Their .243 average ranks 23rd, and their OBP of .309 puts them 24th.
Accountability? I think Bob Smizik summed it up quite nicely.
Adam LaRoche? Batting .137. 17 strikeouts, 7 hits.
Bautista? .175. 18 strikeouts, 11 hits.
Jason Bay? 5 RBI. 13 strikeouts, 16 hits.
Freddy Sanchez? .232.
Starting pitching? No one with an ERA below 4, including Gorzelanny at 9.35, Morris at 7.02, Maholm at 5.28.
Bullpen? Don't go there, brother.
Luis Rivas? Probably shouldn't play shortstop anymore.

:hang:

Back