Pittsburgh at Georgia Tech Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been going back and forth on this one. I have literally not seen a soul prefer Pitt. I will try not to spend so much time writing something that seems obvious to everybody. Unless it's something ridiculous like backing the Jets against the Raiders. I look for dogs and look to be contrarian and I think this is a reasonable opportunity. At this point in the season, I don't think it's right to favor the Jackets here by more than a touchdown.

Back Battle-Tested Pittsburgh to Cover vs Georgia Tech in ACC Opener

Pittsburgh (1-2) travels to Georgia Tech (1-1) for both teams' first ACC match-up on Saturday at 12:20 PM ET. Georgia Tech opened as 6.5 point favorites, but that number has been bet up to 8. The game total opened at 61 but has plummeted to 55.

Georgia Tech has played one game fewer than Pittsburgh, meaning that their seven first-time starters could not gain more playing time. Last season, Georgia Tech pummeled their first opponent, before needing time to develop experience and chemistry. Georgia Tech's talent on paper will need time this season to blossom.

Georgia Tech's offense boasts the option game. Their run-first attack features a recruited running back at quarterback. They like to rely on their fullback for half of their carries and will therefore miss Dedrick Mills, who averaged 5.1 yards per carry last season. For the Yellow Jackets, experience in their unique scheme is just as important as talent. Their two leading rushers in the season opener, TaQuon Marshall and KirVonte Benson, combined for a total of seven rushes last season. The offensive line loses its third-team All-Conference Center and features three sophomores. The Yellow Jackets boast talent but little experience.

Pittsburgh comes into the conference opener extremely battle-tested. They allowed Youngstown State to make a late comeback and take them into overtime. Then, they got walloped at Penn State and against Oklahoma State. Pittsburgh, with its abysmal secondary, will be glad to transition to playing a team that is run-first.

The Panthers also benefit from the return of safety Jordan Whitehead from suspension, whose absence is largely responsible for the Pittsburgh's absence of run defense. Whitehead is incessant in his pursuit. His speed and hard-hitting ability allow him to be a run-stuffer. He uses his physicality to be a playmaker and will have no problem wrapping up the undersized TaQuon Marshall or his teammates minus Dedrick Mills.

Even though the Panthers lose seven starters on defense, Pat Narduzzi's squad is capable of containing Georgia Tech's option attack. Besides Whitehead, the Panthers can rely on Avonte Maddox to provide run-support from the secondary by utilizing his superior speed and ability to wrap-up the ball carrier. The Panthers also return linebacker Olowaseun Idowu, who is stepping up as the Panthers' leader on defense as measured by tackles and tackles for loss.

Pittsburgh's defense, like Georgia tech's offense, is filled with upside but significant inexperience. Different players have shown promise for both teams, but Pittsburgh's one game of extra experience plus their strength of schedule until now gives them a slight edge.

The Panthers also have an edge in match-up. They struggle against the pass, but enjoy the coaching experience and defensive ability to contain Georgia Tech's run-first attack again. Georgia Tech's offensive style is extremely repetitive and, after a few drives, often lulls the defense into mechanical lapses and errors of concentration. A Pittsburgh squad facing its first rush-first attack in its conference opener should stay disciplined on defense.

Offensively, Pittsburgh matches up well against a Georgia Tech team whose strength is in its secondary. Pitt can utilize the versatility of its different playmakers to outmatch Georgia Tech's 4-2-5 defense. The last defense that Pitt played which favors the 4-2-5 so heavily is Penn State, who they actually out-gained in yardage.

Turnovers cost Pitt against Penn State, but, despite their uncertainty at quarterback, will not cost them against a team that achieved only 9 takeaways in their first 8 games last season. This season, the Yellow Jackets still lack a pass rush and have achieved zero takeaways in two games. Georgia Tech is 5-18 SU under their current head coach when their opponent does not turn the ball over.

Pittsburgh, with their uncertainty at quarterback and their match-up against a team that prefers to have 5 defensive backs on the field, will achieve most of its productivity on the ground. Qadree Ollison led Pittsburgh with over 1100 rushing yards in 2015 and shredded Penn State for 6.4 yards per carry. They boast two playmakers at wide receiver in the well-sized Jester Weah and the speedy Quadree Henderson. Their offensive line has the size to make up for last season's departures and offer adequate protection.

The Verdict

Pittsburgh is steeled by the experience of a more difficult strength of schedule and an extra game. Georgia Tech's rawness in quality is evident in its lack of consistency on offense, its vulnerability to turnovers, and its inability to achieve takeaways--all three of these factors resemble their start to last year and form a contrast with their progress late last season.

Pittsburgh has the ability to contain Georgia Tech's option attack with their speed and tackling ability on defense while they possess the playmakers to produce long and productive drives against a Tech defense that was 125th last season in opponent rush yards per attempt. Expect a competitive ACC opener.

NCAAF Pick: Pittsburgh +8

Last edited:
FWIW. I'll be on Pitt with those points. They were able to move the ball against Penn State and if I remember right, they won the statistical battle, or it was pretty close. Naturally they were not at their best v Okie Lite last week. In that game I thought I might be seeing the national champs, btw.
Look for Pitt to play better game this week v a team that has traditionally been up and down.

Pitt would be the play for me as well. I am very concerned however about Browne and the O overall. I am hoping that the start of conference play can allow them to close the book on the last 3 weeks and refocus on being successful in ACC play. The two games in the series vs GT with Narduzzi have been close and competitive, don't believe the line at 8 is justified. #8 Hendrix has caught my eye this year, he appears to be the next impact DL for Pitt.

Eh I feel like the interception number is inflated by dealing with quality pass pressure (which GT lacks) and being down a lot in games and thus being forced to pass. But yeah, the QB quality is definitely a question.

I guess it isn't a given that Browne is even the for sure starter, either way Pitt significantly weaker at QB this year compared to last or maybe even the last 2 years.

Yes but their stud of a QB last year really didn't play well against GT either and they still kept up with GT. GT has a solid secondary, it's easily the strength of their D, and Pitt will not want to nor will be able to beat them through the air.

Might be better if we get Dinucci at QB then.

Good stuff and thanks for the time.

Whoever can best keep the GT defense honest and prevent turning the ball over. Hopefully the performance is improved by the quarterback competition. We should see the best concentration out of whichever one is on the field.

Taquon is maybe the best triple option CPJ ever had. Much better thrower than Justin Thomas. Mills is ancient history. Jerry Howard is the man, plus they are stacked at A back. As far as I can tell Pitt sucks. GT lost last year but should have won. Maybe 8 will get you cover. GT qb is legit and I see no reason why Pitt will stop them. They never do.

Up to 9. The rule of thumb is bet favorites early but dogs late. Obviously can't help when I compose these articles. I will stick to my posted numbers officially, but so much of the game is waiting for the best number. One can develop a knack for recognizing when a spread hits its ceiling / floor or by buying a half point in order to cover games that I shouldn't have covered.

Great article.

Not that I would take GT at this number but I think I would need it to be north of 10 before I bite on Pitt. BOL with it.

Great article.

Not that I would take GT at this number but I think I would need it to be north of 10 before I bite on Pitt. BOL with it.

Going to have that on my dog book. I think a touchdown will definitely be enough though.

See it at +10 this morning. Lots of love for Tech. More pts just makes me more comfortable with the wager.

I see 69% on Tech but they won't remove that hook, I'm on them as well but get the Pitt strategy. Honestly think GT passes on them, like basically everyone else...and that would be quite a story because I'm not sure GT QB actually physically has an arm

Dog in series is 3-1 last 4, although last time the line was this big 2013 GT -10.5 beat Pitt 21-10.

Gotta be honest, I thought you were playing with fire with this pick but then I read: "Pittsburgh, with its abysmal secondary, will be glad to transition to playing a team that is run-first." That's an eye-opening point for sure. Good luck with your play!

:shake:

Within 4 at half but for all the wrong reasons. Feel like GT absolutly wins this but by how much...:boxing:

Pitt O just not good at anything, can't convert what 4 TOs into any pts?

Just a wrong read, it happens, all it can do is make you better on predicting future games. Long season and just one game. You might find your way on Pitt somewhere in the future. Can't ever rule anything in or out. Get 'em on the rest.

In-game is a decent thread to talk about live actual football.

Going back n forth is hurting me head

How'd they wrack up all those yards against penn state tho??

Idk I was trying to cover sparty instead since i know sparty from that season preview article I did for them :( just failed to acquaint myself with pitt so well or an off day or penn state was just a "good" day

Too many posts in that thread for me

The lesson learned is to maybe bet only when i can be confident in the quarterback, the third down conversation rate was sickening. Just put too much stock in the yardage vs penn state who happens to also like the 4-2-5

Last edited:
Back