Phillies vs Nationals Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Phillies Pitcher Aaron Nola Will Make Washington Lose National Pride

The Phillies begin a three-game series at home against the Nationals at 7:05 ET. A decisive pitching mismatch justifies a first-five play on Philadelphi

Washington Nationals (41-37) at Philadelphia Phillies (42-36)

MLB Pick: Phillies 1H

Washington’s Tanner Roark (3-8, 4.27 ERA) consistently disappoints his backers. He is yielding -8 units overall, -4.8 against division opponents, and -6.1 in night games. Roark is a finesse pitcher who relies on the variety and location of his pitches. He throws five different pones with at least 10 percent frequency, but his top pitch is the sinker, which he throws 39% of the time. He likes to use the vertical movement of his pitches to locate them most often in the lowest row of the strike zone, away from the more dangerous parts of the plate.

Roark is unreliable given his current struggles to locate his pitches well. Roark has yielded an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) over 4.40 in five consecutive starts and allowed a homer in his last four. Before his slump began, there were three spots in the lowest row of the zone in which he placed his favorite pitch, the sinker, with over six percent frequency. During his slump, his sinker isn’t hitting any spot in the lowest row of the zone with even five percent frequency. Instead, he’s leaving his sinker in more dangerous areas. For example, his sinker is hitting dead middle with almost four percent added frequency and the three most middle spots in the zone with twice as much frequency. Roark’s location is all the more worrisome considering his overall problems with command and his predictability. He is locating his pitches within the zone less often and achieving a lower first-pitch strike percentage. Because he relies on his sinker with extra emphasis when he’s behind in the count, batters have been more often able to sit on his poorly-located sinker. In his last three starts, Roark is yielding an opposing BA over .300 against his favorite pitch.

The Phillies enjoy a strong history against Roark, who they slammed for six runs in his last start. Look out for Odubel Herrera, who is 15-for-34 (.441) against Roark with five doubles and a homer. He slugs over .500 at home and at night,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aaron Nola (9-2, 2.58 ERA) is a must-bet at home, where the Phillies are 7-0 in his starts. Nola hasn’t allowed over a run in four home starts since April.

Nola relies on a variety of pitches, neither one of which he throws with more than 35% frequency. His key is unpredictability—he doesn’t have that one pitch, like Roark does, which he relies on over 50% of the time in a given scenario. For example, to lefties he throws both a first-pitch fastball and curve with over 30% frequency. When he’s behind in the count against righties, he throws three different pitches over 20% of the time. So batters don’t know what to expect. He commands his four pitches well, allowing an opposing BA of .215 or under against each of them and an ISO (measures extra-base hits) under .100 against three of them.

The Nats do enjoy strong overall numbers against Nola, but these stem primarily from one disaster back in 2016 and another in 2015, Nola’s rookie year. Dating to 2017, Nola has yielded an FIP under 2.00 in four of his last five starts against the Nats. He did just see (and defeat) them on May 22, but his deceptiveness created by similar vertical release points always keeps him unpredictable so that he could, for instance, yield a sub-three FIP against Atlanta three times in a single month.

The Nats are slumping, having lost four of five and scoring less than three runs in three of those games. Superstar Bryce Harper, for instance, is batting .184 in June. Nola will prolong their slump.

1H ML at -129. Dig it. Give zero fuck about line movement. I take what I like. Really just like a candy store, except the whole release of serotonin induced by chocolate that encourages gastric contents to rise past the esophogeal sphincter and irritating the lining in your throat lol...but zantac helps and so does the concept of betting value

This one kinda caught my eye, never have liked Roark and do like Nola (that in depth as i get when should be asleep at 2am!) . Think I’ll look more after work.

Trying to find something for the day slate. Best I could come up with is ov8 +110 in San Fran. Look at both pitchers numbers during the day! Gray hasn’t fared all that well at at&t and mr strikeout artist has same amount of walks as k’s vs giants hitters! Fairly small samples but both lineups have hit both starters. Grey w ok numbers w ump in only few starts but ump def a guy I like for a over. Again that as in depth as I’m gettiinh gotta get some sleep, check it out tho. Think they might finally score some runs in this series. Good price to find out.

Lack of sleep is great Dan you should try it out more often. It‘s like the Earth has stopped rotating and you‘re standing on it all alone in the darkness

Not an hour, much less a day, goes by that I don‘t think about my best friend who passed away in Jan at 21. Been rough without him with grief and depression being a daily struggle. But nice to find consolation in different places.

Lack of sleep is great Dan you should try it out more often. It‘s like the Earth has stopped rotating and you‘re standing on it all alone in the darkness

Bro I got more experience than you will ever grasp in this category. Something I wish wasn’t true, but just the way it is.

Nola (9-2, 2.58 ERA), well on his way to his first All-Star appearance, pitched six strong innings against the Nationals last Saturday. The righty gave up two runs on four hits and three walks and struck out five in a 5-3 Phillies win.
Nola, 26, has pitched at least six innings in 13 of his 16 starts this season and has allowed two earned runs or less in 12 of those games. His 1.016 WHIP ranked fifth in the National League as of Wednesday.
Nola has faced the Nationals 11 times in his career -- the most of any opponent for the fourth-year major leaguer. He is 2-4 with a 4.35 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 60 innings in those starts.
Roark (3-8, 4.27) also has plenty of experience against the Phillies. He is 6-8 with a 4.34 ERA in 19 career games against the Nationals' divisional rival. But Roark's last outing against Philadelphia did not go well.
The 31-year-old had seven strikeouts, but he gave up six runs on seven hits and four walks last Friday in a 12-2 defeat. Before the loss to the Phillies, Roark gave up four runs on eight hits in four innings against the Toronto Blue Jays on June 17.

This one kinda caught my eye, never have liked Roark and do like Nola (that in depth as i get when should be asleep at 2am!) . Think I’ll look more after work.

Trying to find something for the day slate. Best I could come up with is ov8 +110 in San Fran. Look at both pitchers numbers during the day! Gray hasn’t fared all that well at at&t and mr strikeout artist has same amount of walks as k’s vs giants hitters! Fairly small samples but both lineups have hit both starters. Grey w ok numbers w ump in only few starts but ump def a guy I like for a over. Again that as in depth as I’m gettiinh gotta get some sleep, check it out tho. Think they might finally score some runs in this series. Good price to find out.

Cash that bitch in less than 4 full innings!! Ok bro now your turn, bring home phils for us tonight!!

Back