Phillies vs Nationals Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Two Shaky Pitchers Meet in Nationals-Phillies Finale

The Phillies close a four-game series with the Nationals on Sunday at 1:35 ET. Both starting pitchers are on fade alert and will help push this game „over“ the betting total.

Washington Nationals vs Philadelphia Phillies

MLB Pick: Over

Washington’s Gio Gonzalez's (6-5, 3.68 ERA) poor form climaxed in his catastrophe on June 25, in which he allowed six runs in an inning against Tampa Bay. Gonzalez has yielded an FIP over five in four consecutive starts.

The southpaw is even struggling to throw a strike. In two of his last four starts, his pitches landed in the strike zone with less than 30% frequency. His inconsistency with location is predictable based on the variance of his vertical release points, which are often varying between games with as much disparity as they had been varying between months.

The quality of his pitches is also suffering. Since his slump began on June 9, Gonzalez’s pitches are suffering a drop of 91 spin rotations per minute. Consequently, his pitches are flatter, less deceptive and easier for batters to track and hit. Gonzalez, who on the season averages 15.9% opposing soft contact, has induced less than a third as much in three of his past four starts. Gonzalez is famous for his curveball. Opponents batted .143 against it in May. But in June they are batting .500 against it. Its velocity has dropped and its vertical movement lessened, so that it’s become less elusive. His change-up also shows less movement and opponents’ slugging went up .514 against this pitch from May to June.

Gonzalez is a must-fade while he works out his mechanical difficulties. Philadelphia boasts numerous options with which to slug the southpaw. Left-handed hitter Odubel Herrera is actually hitting lefties better than righties, batting .306 against them. Rhys Hoskins is slugging .652 in day games.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jake Arrieta (5-6, 3.54 ERA) isn’t faring any better than Gonzalez. He’s allowed an FIP over six in four consecutive starts.

Arrieta is struggling with his sinker, which had been his favorite pitch. He was throwing it with over 60% frequency before his slump began on June 9, but he has since reduced that number drastically. He’s having trouble locating it, throwing it for a ball with 12% extra frequency. His sinker is also achieving less horizontal and vertical movement than before. Because it’s not so difficult to hit, opponents’ slugging against it is up .122. He’s struggling to find a solution that works. One attempt has been to emphasize his slider more. He had previously focused on it when ahead in the count against a same-handed batter or with two strikes. But now, for example, he’s throwing it with 16% more frequency when the batter is ahead. His slider is suffering in this expanded role, yielding an opposing .650 slugging percentage. With his curveball, he’s making more location errors, leaving it in the lowest middle region of the strike zone with five percent extra frequency. Opponents are slugging 1.500 against this pitch.

Recent results substantiate Arrieta’s struggles with his pitches. He’s allowed over 40% hard contact in his last three starts. In his last two, he’s failed to achieve a 50% ground ball percentage, but instead yielded an opposing fly ball rate well over 30. He isn’t keeping the ball on the ground as he likes to, but is allowing hitters to consistently elevate his pitches because he’s leaving more of his pitches up in the zone. He’s allowed a home run in five straight starts, and two homers in each of his last two starts.

Washington’s top bats will hit Arrieta. Anthony Rendon is slugging over .800 in his past seven days. The 19-year old Juan Soto is an underrated threat. He is slugging over .600 in June and over .700 in his past seven days.

In terms of bullpens, the Nats’ pen is struggling more than almost any other team's, yielding a 4.89 FIP in June, while the Phillies’ pen is hardly performing better, with a 4.26 June FIP. Both pens will contribute to the „over."

Last edited:
Arrieta (5-6, 3.54 ERA) had a 6.66 ERA in five June starts. Opponents hit .305 with a .907 OPS against him in the month, and the veteran right-hander allowed at least three earned runs in each outing.
In his last start, Arrieta gave up six runs (three earned) in five innings against the New York Yankees on nine hits, two of which were homers.
Arrieta had a 0.90 ERA in five starts during May, and he gave up just one run and two hits in six innings against the Nationals on May 6. Arrieta is 1-2 with a 5.02 ERA in 10 career starts against the Nationals.
Gonzalez (6-5, 3.68) had an even worse June. The 32-year-old lefty had an 8.44 ERA in five starts during the month. In three of those outings, Gonzalez gave up at least four earned runs and failed to pitch more than four innings.
Gonzalez had his worst start of 2018 the last time he took the mound. He gave up six runs and walked five batters in one inning against the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday.
Gonzalez will be facing the Phillies for the 25th time in his 11-year big league career. He is 11-7 with a 2.60 ERA and 1.13 WHIP against the Nationals' divisional rival. Gonzalez threw five scoreless innings against Philadelphia on May 4.
The Phillies, who are 5-4 against the Nationals this season, have won two of the first three games against their divisional foe in the series. At 44-37, they are two games ahead of Washington for second place in the National League East. The Phillies were 28-53 through 81 games a season ago.Nationals, went 9-16 in June and are 42-39 at the halfway mark of the season.

Lmk what you think im a big under guy you know im always nervous when i try to go over lol!

I didn’t know actually. I really have no preference with baseball totals, just as likely to play a over as a under. NFL I used to only play unders but had to adjust years ago when all the rules started shifting to promote points, got my ass handed to me bad for a year and half before finally deciding to start playing overs. Lol..

I’m just sitting down to look at card now, I’ll start with this game.

I dunno bro. Other than both pitchers current poor form I just don’t think there enough good for me to get behind the over. Certainly not saying it can’t hit but not sure it cashing at a high enough percentage to feel there value in this number for me to play it. Especially now where it juiced on ov 9. Id have to play it at 9.5 and with both pitchers strong history vs respective lineups I just can’t do it.. hope I regret passing and you take home the cash!! Gl buddy

I dunno bro. Other than both pitchers current poor form I just don’t think there enough good for me to get behind the over. Certainly not saying it can’t hit but not sure it cashing at a high enough percentage to feel there value in this number for me to play it. Especially now where it juiced on ov 9. Id have to play it at 9.5 and with both pitchers strong history vs respective lineups I just can’t do it.. hope I regret passing and you take home the cash!! Gl buddy

Thanks yea idk the way both pitchers been throwing anyone hitting them. I just hope their form keeps up.

Thanks yea idk the way both pitchers been throwing anyone hitting them. I just hope their form keeps up.

Certainly possible, it incredibly hot in philly as well. Definitely understand going this route if you have to make a play on this one. I’m not in that boat so just looking elsewhere on the card. Gl

Gotta take a shot on cardinals at plus money. They have had a knack for salvaging a win at end of a ugly series so they don’t get killed to bad on Monday talk radio! Lol. Gant vs former team has a little appeal and really feel like pen gonna get us 1 win vs a braves pen that came into series with some issues. Also played the 1st 5 under.

This is just like that Harvey/Teheran shit from last year. Gonna start using that as an angle. Two shit pitchers play they suddenly become amazing

I mean. Arrieta has bad recent history vs Nats in terms of fip. Gio had had good history vs Giants but got crushed by them during slump.

This is just like that Harvey/Teheran shit from last year. Gonna start using that as an angle. Two shit pitchers play they suddenly become amazing

Cmon now, yea they been in bad form but I wouldn’t call either of these guys “shit pitchers”. Still lot of game to go bro.. couldn’t tell ya how many unders I’ve had look great for 5-6 innings before 2 half innings beat me!! Just had 1 recently with I believe kc at milw. Nobody scored until the 6th then it went into the 9th 5-1 and brewers got 3 meaningless runs to beat me by a half run. As much as phils manager tinkers with pen changes late in a game you still have lot of chances for a big inning!!

On another note, how incredible is Snell?? He been freaking amazing at the trop this season, don’t think he has given up more than 1 run in any start at home this season!! Need tampons bats to give him a little support soon!

I wish I was allowed to do 1H on weekend games can‘t tell if I woulda done 1H or full game here!

Cashed the 1st 5 under in STL! Now we just need to get folty out of game and find a way to score a couple damn runs!! We havnt scored a meaningful run in over 3 games now!! Fuck!

Cards be winning if they did anything right in the field in braves 6th. Allowed 2 extra runs to score that had no business doing so. Still got 2 more innings to get this last run back!! Cmon u fucks!

Come the fuck on!! Nice to see Tommy woken up. But yea fuck their fundamentals!

I love how 90% of my article is right and I lose. Gotta just be better at listening to my own fucking research. Just saw these pens were shit and figured ok why not just fg

Full game bad play since bats were clearly gassed. Just another good reason to stick to over when dealing with over plays. Summer heat.

Back