Phillies vs Dodgers (Monday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Phillies Won’t Let Dodgers Feel Welcome in City of Brotherly Love

The Dodgers continue their road trip in Philadelphia on Monday at 7:05 ET. The Phillies have been a positive surprise, especially because of their strong play at home.

Dodgers at Phillies

MLB Pick: Phillies 1H

Philadelphia’s Zach Eflin (7-2, 3.15 ERA) promises to continue his surprisingly positive start to the season. He’s brought his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) from 6.10 last season to 3.04. He’s striking out almost four more batters per nine innings and reduced his opposing homer-per-nine-innings rate by 60%. Eflin is throwing in the strike zone more often, but allowing less contact overall and less hard contact. After Aaron Nola, Eflin is Philly’s most profitable pitcher, yielding +6 units. The Phillies are 6-1 when he starts as an underdog, yielding +7.3 units.

Eflin has once again made the four-seam fastball his primary pitch. He throws it almost half the time. Eflin is locating it more effectively. Last year, he struggled to throw his fastball for a strike and there were two spots in the zone which he hit with his fastball with more than seven percent frequency . Both spots were in the middle region. Opponents still do well against his fastball when he leaves it in the middle of the plate, but, this season, he can place it much more often on the edge of the zone.

He then relies on a sinker and slider with more than 12% frequency each—with more frequency lately because he is throwing his vulnerable change-up less often. Like against his fastball, he has starkly reduced opposing slugging against his sinker and slider. Eflin has improved the former’s velocity, while placing it more often on the periphery of the zone with more than 18% frequency compared to last year. His slider is better because of his improved fastball, which batters now have to respect.. They share similar vertical and horizontal release points, so batters need more time to figure out which pitch is approaching them, which inhibits their reaction time.

His worst start this season came against the Dodgers, against which he surrendered his highest home run total and second-highest hard contact rate. The young Floridian was exceptionally off that evening. He struggled to locate his slider, which he threw with an exceptionally high ball rate, when, on the season, he normally throws more strikes with it. Overall, Eflin was less comfortable locating his stuff. He made himself more predictable by varying his location less and leaning excessively on his first-pitch fastball to righties. Since his slider was off, he had to rely on his sinker more than he wants to and yielded terrible results. Monday’s Eflin will excel with location and make up for his bad first outing against LA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keep counting us out.<br><br>We&#39;ll keep proving you wrong. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BeBold?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#BeBold</a> <a href="https://t.co/cl6gY2bY0X">pic.twitter.com/cl6gY2bY0X</a></p>&mdash; Philadelphia Phillies (@Phillies) <a href=" ">21. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LA’s Ross Stripling (8-2, 2.08) makes his first start since his unexpected All-Star appearance. Stripling will fail to replicate his gem on May 30 in which he got the win against Eflin’s Phillies in Los Angeles. He has lost some form since he stormed the MLB by surprise from May 6 to June 5. Since then, he is allowing more home runs. He allowed one from May 6 to June 5, but seven homers in the seven starts since then. Since June 10, he’s yielded more than 40% hard contact in four starts. Stripling lost a little velocity, some vertical movement in his favorite curveball, and is throwing with 1.5% more frequency in the heart of the plate.

The Phillies are the MLB’s most profitable home team, yielding +12.6 units. They produce 4.7 runs at home, compared to 4.1 on the road. Look out for Odubel Herrera, who is slugging nearly .500 at home and at night. Maikel Franco is slugging over .450 in both situations. Rhys Hoskins is slugging over .450 at home and against righties.

Last edited:
Lol like i've said before, i'm sick of covering Stripling. So it was interesting to look into Eflin.

Gotta love how logical Colorado is.

"After nine innings of play, the Rockies of Colorado (six) scored one more run than the Diamondbacks of Arizona (five), thus winning the evening&#39;s baseball competition"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After nine innings of play, the Rockies of Colorado (six) scored one more run than the Diamondbacks of Arizona (five), thus winning the evening&#39;s baseball competition. <a href="https://t.co/SePPipmxJO">pic.twitter.com/SePPipmxJO</a></p>&mdash; Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) <a href=" ">22. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Its just hard because I rely a lot on feeling team rhythm and spots. Like with my cards let down angles. So I need to see the game before before I start capping

Let this serve as proof to anyone who says gambling is all luck. If it were only luck i‘d be doing as well now as i had been when i didn‘t have to write articles an extra day in advance

Since you have covered stripling a lot I’m curious what you think about him? The few times I’ve seen him he really didn’t look like the guy the numbers say he is, as in his stuff doesn’t seem all that special to be sporting that sick strike out rate. Feel like he a guy teams will adjust to cause he thrives getting ahead with that incredibly high 1st pitch strike percentage, seems guys would start looking to jump all over that 1st pitch like they did in the asg. I havnt seen him much tho so curious what your take on him is..

Pretty amazing story pitching for cards 2marro, kid almost died last year now he tearing up the minors!

Since you have covered stripling a lot I’m curious what you think about him? The few times I’ve seen him he really didn’t look like the guy the numbers say he is, as in his stuff doesn’t seem all that special to be sporting that sick strike out rate. Feel like he a guy teams will adjust to cause he thrives getting ahead with that incredibly high 1st pitch strike percentage, seems guys would start looking to jump all over that 1st pitch like they did in the asg. I havnt seen him much tho so curious what your take on him is..

Pretty amazing story pitching for cards 2marro, kid almost died last year now he tearing up the minors!

I‘m the kind of guy who bet on Chad Bettis blindly when he returned from cancer. Maybe this is one of those spots. Headline spots I call them

Eflin missed his final start before the All-Star break because of a blister, and he is pitching for the first time since July 9. The 24-year-old became a reliable arm in the rotation this season, and he allowed two earned runs or less in nine of his 12 starts.
Eflin is 0-2 with a 9.00 ERA in three career starts against the Dodgers. He has surrendered seven home runs in 14 innings against Los Angeles, and the team has a 1.085 OPS against him. Eflin gave up two homers, five runs and seven hits in four innings against the Dodgers on May 30.
That was before they had Manny Machado.
The Dodgers acquired Machado from the Baltimore Orioles last week. The Phillies were also rumored to be close to landing the slugging shortstop but came up empty.
Machado is off to a hot start with his new team, going 5-for-13 (.385) in his first three games. He went 2-for-5 with an RBI double in an 11-2 win over Milwaukee on Sunday.
The Dodgers are 12-5 in July and will try to get another win behind Stripling.
A first-time All-Star in 2018, Stripling won eight of his nine decisions since moving from the bullpen to the rotation in early May. The right-hander has a 2.01 ERA in 13 starts this season and notched 89 strikeouts in 76 innings in those games. Stripling threw six shutout innings against the San Diego Padres in his last start on July 12.
Stripling beat Eflin and the Phillies on May 30, going seven innings and striking out nine while allowing one run. Stripling, who was born in the Philadelphia suburb of Blue Bell, Pa., is 1-0 with a 3.77 ERA in four career appearances against the Phillies.

I‘m the kind of guy who bet on Chad Bettis blindly when he returned from cancer. Maybe this is one of those spots. Headline spots I call them

He was great, sadly our pen continues to suck ass!! I guess you gotta stick w bud if he our closer but shit every guy who came up for reds in 9th has owned Norris, think it bout time to make hicks the closer don’t ya think? And to start trying out some our young arms in the pen considering we don’t have enough open rotation spots for them next season.

He was great, sadly our pen continues to suck ass!! I guess you gotta stick w bud if he our closer but shit every guy who came up for reds in 9th has owned Norris, think it bout time to make hicks the closer don’t ya think? And to start trying out some our young arms in the pen considering we don’t have enough open rotation spots for them next season.

Norris is no more than a Broxton in my eyes. I agree Hicks has closer-level stuff in my eyes

And a cutter is a fastball so yea lol and two-seamer

I know right. He didn’t throw 1 breaking pitch that I recall. Just looked on famgraphs and sure enough he doesn’t throw anything but fastballs of one variety or another, so he basically lance Lynn as closer! Lol. I’m assuming some of his cutters get classified as sliders? But it is much slower so maybe he does have a slider? Only throwing it 9% of the time anyways. What I do know is all the reds guys that came up last night were sporting like 5 for 5, 4 for 6, type numbers against him. I’d rather not see him much more this series!! Was really hoping they would let hicks pitch 8th and 9th. Bud been pretty good overall but man I hate closers that don’t have particularly nasty stuff. I feel like he prob been lucky and has gotten more of his saves against weak parts of lineups! Can’t imagine he really striking out middle of orders at that clip, he damn sure ain’t blowing it by good hitters and with nothing to keep guys off balance they surely come into the box sitting dead red.

I know right. He didn’t throw 1 breaking pitch that I recall. Just looked on famgraphs and sure enough he doesn’t throw anything but fastballs of one variety or another, so he basically lance Lynn as closer! Lol. I’m assuming some of his cutters get classified as sliders? But it is much slower so maybe he does have a slider? Only throwing it 9% of the time anyways. What I do know is all the reds guys that came up last night were sporting like 5 for 5, 4 for 6, type numbers against him. I’d rather not see him much more this series!! Was really hoping they would let hicks pitch 8th and 9th. Bud been pretty good overall but man I hate closers that don’t have particularly nasty stuff. I feel like he prob been lucky and has gotten more of his saves against weak parts of lineups! Can’t imagine he really striking out middle of orders at that clip, he damn sure ain’t blowing it by good hitters and with nothing to keep guys off balance they surely come into the box sitting dead red.

And imagine him pitching against division opponents who have seen his „stuff“ so many times already! They‘ll be licking their chops!

And imagine him pitching against division opponents who have seen his „stuff“ so many times already! They‘ll be licking their chops!

Very true. It really time for them to see if some our young guns can handle bullpen roles. Used to be we did that a lot, plenty of our best pitchers over the years made cameos in the pen before becoming full time starters.

Very true. It really time for them to see if some our young guns can handle bullpen roles. Used to be we did that a lot, plenty of our best pitchers over the years made cameos in the pen before becoming full time starters.

Waino a closer eh? Lol

Waino a closer eh? Lol

Waino did it, Lynn I believe did it. Think there was another too just can’t recall who it was. Obviously wouldn’t want waino doing it now, havnt heard anything bout him. I’d guess he would try to at least pitch 1 more time cause this has to be his last season doesn’t it? Surely we not gonna give him another contract would they?

Waino did it, Lynn I believe did it. Think there was another too just can’t recall who it was. Obviously wouldn’t want waino doing it now, havnt heard anything bout him. I’d guess he would try to at least pitch 1 more time cause this has to be his last season doesn’t it? Surely we not gonna give him another contract would they?

If Gant keeps pitching so well but even if he doesnt no way I think. Hopefully Reyes can stay healthy too, but even if not dude is so washed up

If Gant keeps pitching so well but even if he doesnt no way I think. Hopefully Reyes can stay healthy too, but even if not dude is so washed up

That kid who pitched last night seems like be a good candidate for the pen. His fastball seemed sneaky fast as guys had to know it was coming most the time and they were all late on it. Must have good late life. Didn’t really appear to have much in way of secondary pitches he was confident in so a 1 inning role makes sense.

That kid who pitched last night seems like be a good candidate for the pen. His fastball seemed sneaky fast as guys had to know it was coming most the time and they were all late on it. Must have good late life. Didn’t really appear to have much in way of secondary pitches he was confident in so a 1 inning role makes sense.

He got optioned down

Back