Phillies vs Cardinals Preview Article (Monday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
St. Louis, Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly Again in Philly

After a losing home stand, the Cardinals start a three-game series in Philly at 7:05 ET. They promise to soar thanks to a propitious pitching match-up

St. Louis Cardinals at Philadelphia Phillies

MLB Pick: St. Louis 1H

After suffering an embarrassing home stand, the Cards will feel uplifted by changing locations. The Cards’ 1H ML is undefeated, 2-0-2, in their first road game after losing a series at home.

Philly’s Nick Pivetta (4-6, 4.25 ERA) shows worrisome form. Pivetta’s goal entering his second year was to reduce his fastball usage and develop a more varied pitching arsenal. In three starts from May 16 to May 27, Pivetta threw his fastball with only 34.93% frequency. He allowed three runs and achieved 25 strikeouts in those 19 innings. But in his three starts since May 27, Pivetta is not delivering his other pitches consistently. In the three-start stretch in May, his two main breaking pitches, the curveball and slider, yielded a max .11 foot disparity between starts in vertical release point. Since then, his curveball and slider have shown disparities as great as .31, .19, and .18 feet. Conversely, his fastball shows consistency from start to start in its vertical release points, so he’s throwing it with over 50% frequency. Nonetheless, his fastball has dropped in average rotations per movement. Its reduced spin is giving it less rising action so that he’s inducing whiffs with 7.15% lower frequency. He is struggling to elevate his fastball, leaving it with greater concentration in the middle, more hittable regions of the plate. For instance, he's leaving it with .51% more frequency over the heart of the plate.

Because opponents are more able to sit on his fastball, which he is spinning and locating less effectively, his last three opponents are batting .375 and slugging .583 against it. He’s allowed 13 runs in his last 14 innings. Those three starts came against teams that rank below the Cards against the fastball. The Cards rank 10th in slugging in the past month against the fastball from righties, 9th when also accounting for Pivetta’s average 93-98 mph and 4th for playing away. The Cards are dependent on hitting homers. They have hit the seventh-highest proportion of fastballs for a homer and Pivetta has allowed a homer in his last two outings.

The Cards remain strong against the fastball despite their overall slump. For example, they faced Cincinnati’s Luis Castillo on June 9. He threw his high-velocity fastball with 60% frequency, which the Cards slugged .846 against, achieving five runs against him. Look out for Marcell Ozuna, who is slugging .833 in June. Jose Martinez might return from paternity leave. He’s slugging .900 in June and .539 against righties. In the past month, Martinez and Matt Carpenter are slugging over .700 against the fastball from righties.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

St. Louis is 5-1 in Miles Mikolas’ (7-2, 2.43 ERA) road games, yielding +3.9 units. Mikolas doesn’t rely on any pitch with over 30% frequency. He throws a mid-90s fastball and sinker, a relatively powerful slider and change-up, and a curveball that creates an average 16 mph velocity differential with his four-seamer. Mikolas’ most effective pitch is his slider, which opponents are batting .167 and slugging .208 against. He increases its usage when faced with runners in scoring position, but also trusts it in every situation, especially against right-handed batters.

Mikolas’ slider has been hit hard lately, but that’s because of strong competition. The Padres and Pirates rank in the top seven in slugging against the slider from righties, but the Phillies rank below-average in the category. Overall, the Phillies rank 18th in slugging against his pitches thrown by righties at home. Mikolas is most vulnerable to lefties, but Philly’s lefties rank 20th in the category. The Phillies match-up poorly against high-velocity. For example, they rank 23rd against his average 93-98 mph fastball.

I don’t trust the Cards’ bullpen, but I do trust their starting pitcher and lineup for a 1H play.

Last edited:
Got lots of detail in this one. Hopefully not too dense. Probably spent too many years in grad school :)

Does anyone get the song reference in the title? I know we all old here...well, y'all more than me lol, but still. Was watching Silver Spoons (great TV show!) and it came on and I try to be creative with my titles and I already got this song stuck in my head lol

Last edited:
Obviously no problem going against Cards, just did against stupid Cubs on Saturday, I think this is great spot for them at least before bullpen fucks it up lol

Lol, I dunno. Havnt starting looking at 2marro card yet. I was on San Fran today so we got one we were both on!! Couldn’t believe giants were +160ish in that game, never even heard of the doyers starter!! Lol

Lmao i guess some people just blind bet a team. Hes a scrub 21 year old who only has two pitches but is needed due to injuries in rotation

Lmao i guess some people just blind bet a team. Hes a scrub 21 year old who only has two pitches but is needed due to injuries in rotation

Right on, I’d be lying if I said I really capped it. I was busy this morning and had bout 15-20 minutes before the 3 o’clock central games started so kinda fired blind a bit. Worked out, if cards can somehow win vs scrubbies I’ll have had pretty good day. The offense really struggling tho so not feeling all that confident.

You cap soccer bud? I don’t know the 1st fucking thing bout it but do tend to like watching the WC try to find guys to tail. One my buddies gave me a winner yesterday so today I tried to go out on my own and got killed w Germany! lol. I thought they were good!!!

You cap soccer bud? I don’t know the 1st fucking thing bout it but do tend to like watching the WC try to find guys to tail. One my buddies gave me a winner yesterday so today I tried to go out on my own and got killed w Germany! lol. I thought they were good!!!

Lol it’s a very different team man. Lots of younger and more unproven guys

The extent of my knowledge is they don’t lose to Mexicans, so apparently I know nothing!! Lol

Well at least you got something in common with Socrates :D

Very hard to predict because people only see these teams every two years maybe but they change a lot. Germany was the books‘ big winner.

I started capping soccer gonna try it out tomorrow, got an article up!

Pivetta (4-6, 4.25 ERA) has an 8.36 ERA and opponents are hitting .352 with a .940 OPS against him through three June starts. The 25-year-old had a 3.26 ERA and .230 batting average against during his first 11 starts of the season.
Pivetta's hardships were evident in his last start.Facing the Colorado Rockies, he allowed six runs, eight hits and three walks in five innings of a 7-2 loss on Wednesday. It was the fourth straight start in which Pivetta took a loss.
Pivetta did not pitch against the Cardinals when the Phillies faced them last month, but he saw St. Louis twice last year. Pivetta allowed seven earned runs and struck out 12 in 11 innings during those starts.
Pivetta will be facing a Cardinals team that posted a 5-0 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Sunday night but still has lost five times in its last seven games. The Cardinals (37-32) enter the series four games behind the first-place Milwaukee Brewers in the National League Central.
Right-hander Miles Mikolas (7-2, 2.43) will be on the mound in the series opener. Mikolas, who spent the last three seasons pitching in Japan, leads the Cardinals with an 0.96 WHIP and his 2.43 ERA is the best in their rotation.
The Cardinals are 9-4 in Mikolas' starts, but they lost in his last outing. He gave up three runs and six hits in six innings against the San Diego Padres in a 4-2 loss on Tuesday.

Good god, so much for Mikolas being a stud. Sad that our pitchers have to be bout perfect to get a win, 3 runs after 3 batters pretty much game over for our crappy offense.

Only fitting for my guys to kill win streak lol

Used to be we could have a pitcher settle down and the offense could get them back in the game. This year our guys gotta be damn near perfect from 1st pitch to have a freaking chance. Maybe the offense will wake up sometime this series??

Used to be we could have a pitcher settle down and the offense could get them back in the game. This year our guys gotta be damn near perfect from 1st pitch to have a freaking chance. Maybe the offense will wake up sometime this series??

Maybe Chris Carpenter will go to your house tomorrow and give you his autograph

Even better would be overhaul of gm and manager

Well Mikolas looks great after he gave up four fucking runs

If our offense was worth a damn they would do him a favor and get him off the hook, of course they have only scored like 4 runs his last 3 starts!! Another problem is his pitch count getting up there fast, he prob be done after 6th so then gotta worry bout the stinking pen. Jesus, dude just whiffing everyone!

If our offense was worth a damn they would do him a favor and get him off the hook, of course they have only scored like 4 runs his last 3 starts!! Another problem is his pitch count getting up there fast, he prob be done after 6th so then gotta worry bout the stinking pen. Jesus, dude just whiffing everyone!

In all honesty you just cant tell without knowing him personally and seeing him practice during the week. I mean Pivetta‘s form. Same deal with Carlos. You just figure that you want to ride its continuity and profit from the bad form until it becomes good again so more chance of profiting when you bet on form to remain the same

Last edited:
Thats why personally quite apart from articles im strictly a spot bettor. I go high volume to fade Titans at lowly Jax after they upset the Chiefs two years ago or fade Oregon in bowl game after firing head coach stuff like that is my game i think thats the surest way to profit

The offensive woes continue. 2nd and 3rd 1 out and Pham and Martinez both strike out. Mf’ers just can’t score without hitting it over the damn fence.

On bright side the pen is really been starting to look better of late to me. Of course I heard them say earlier holland about to be back so he will take one of these youngsters innings and totally fukk us. Believe he sporting a 7 era in his minor league rehab, talk bout earning your spot! Lmao

We really got gifted this one if we hang on. Did you see how 9th inning played out? Once again 2nd and 3rd 1 out (same as 8th) and 2 more strikeouts (same as 8th!) but the game ending strikeout got by the catcher and we got a run and game extended another hitter!

We really need to figure out a way to get Wong to hit all game like he does when he up in big situation and being the last out! Kid is clutch as they come but rest of time he not even hitting above the Mendoza line. Makes no sense!

Unreal. Matheny and his shit pen usage comes into play as we get stuck with bowmen to try and close it out. Really thought Norris’s 9th was easy enough they could bring him back out but what do I know??

In fairness they had no business winning anyways, 19 strikeouts including on that should have ended the game 4-2. On other side phils worked 14 full counts. None of that speaks to us winning, it have been nice to steal it tho since phils tried to give it to us. Unfortunately that who this team is, middling .500 team that in midst of a cold stretch. Take away our 9-1 record vs reds and we well below .500.

Back