Phillies Acquire Brad "Gas Can" Lidge

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
I like this move and Ill tell you why:

1. Lidge had a solid second half after coming back from the oblique injury
2. It improves the rotation immeasurably as Myers can now go back into it
3. They didnt really give up that much and the fact that they let Bourn go means they will probably be going after Rowand more aggressively now
4. Mesa and Alfonseca wont be within 100 miles of Citizens Bank Park when the '08 season starts

Now the rotation is decent with Hamels, Myers, Kendrick, Moyer, Whoever (please God dont let it be Eaton...but even if it is, he'll be on a short leash)

They need to resign Romero...then the bullpen would be solid with Madsen coming back from injury, Gordon, Romero and Lidge

All in all, good move in my opinion

(All bets are off if Lidge is a headcase and blows some saves in April and starts whining about the fans)

horrible move , lidge has the stuff but doesn't have the mental toughness anymore, it will only get worse in philly IMHO

its not like they gave up anybody...

they gave their fifth outfielder who can run and do little else, a middle reliever who couldnt stay in the majors all year and some minor leaguer that no ones ever heard of or ever will hear of...and they got a guy who was absolutely lights out at one point and if not, hes better than what they had

Astros get little value for Lidge

posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

Ed Wade's reputation as a GM in Philadelphia was as a man who overvalued relief pitching, but in his first deal as the Houston GM, he gave away one of the better relievers in the National League for three spare parts.

Lidge's struggles in 2006 may or may not have had anything to do with the infamous home run Albert Pujols hit during the 2005 NLCS, but in 2007 he looked a lot more like his old self, working with a plus fastball and plus slider, but with some of the control issues he had in 2006 carrying over.

He's been more homer-prone the last two years, and he's moving to a great home run park, but in general he marks a huge upgrade in the Phillies' bullpen, reducing their reliance on 40-year-old Tom Gordon (who works mostly off two-seamers now, pitching away from contact) and allowing them to return Brett Myers to the rotation. If you believe Lidge's problems in 2006 and even his tendency to give up longballs in 2007 were all or partly mental, then you could argue that the change of scenery will help him in that department even while the ballpark hurts him. The Phillies still need to add at least one arm to their 'pen, but Lidge could easily end up as the best reliever to change teams this offseason.

Wade's announcement of the deal focused on Michael Bourn's speed, pegging him as a good leadoff player and plus defender in center field. He is correct that Bourn is fast and can play center field, but he's stretched as an everyday player, with a fringe-average bat, no power, and fringe-average plate discipline. He has a slap-and-run approach you often see in left-handed-hitting speedsters. While it would have made him a star in the 1970s or 1980s, only Ichiro Suzuki employs it to that degree of success now. His acquisition makes Luke Scott, who has hit .273/.366/.516 in over a full season's worth of major league at-bats, expendable. That's good news for anyone looking for a cheap left-handed bat to serve as the strong side of a platoon in an outfield corner or as a DH.

The Astros also acquired Michael Costanzo, the second-round pick in the last Phillies draft under Wade. Costanzo should get a cup of coffee in the big leagues, but he's not a regular and probably not a bench player. He's a big, slow hacker with a complex swing and difficulty hitting anything but fastballs and hanging offspeed pitches, and right now he's well below average at third base. Wade did acquire one middle reliever, Geoff Geary, who has marginal stuff and is an 11th or 12th man on a major league staff.

It's interesting that Wade thought this was the best he could get for Lidge, or he felt using Lidge (perhaps their most tradeable commodity, with one year left until free agency) to fill their center-field role was a good strategy. The closers on the free agent market are all worse than Lidge; only Francisco Cordero is close, and he'll probably get a four-year deal. There had to be other teams interested in Lidge, and by acting quickly and dealing with his former club to acquire three players drafted while he was the Phillies' GM, it looks like Wade completely misread the market for relievers. At the same time he put filling a specific hole ahead of maximizing his return on one of his best assets. It's an inauspicious beginning to his tenure in Houston.

I think it'll do Lidge good to get away from so many fixtures where he could potentially face Pujols. He must get a sinking feeling everytime he's in the same ballpark.

If he starts off well, then that plus being in a new surround (when all he's known is HOU) could be the combo for him to overcome his inner hurdle. But if he doesnt start off well... he's close to kaput, imo.

did that article really just say that Francisco Cordero and Brad Lidge are actually close to eachother. Cordero is 100 times better than Lidge will ever be again. Cordero is one of the top closers in the majors. Lidge is bottom of the barrell. That comparison is just moronic right now

They need to resign Romero...then the bullpen would be solid with Madsen coming back from injury, Gordon, Romero and Lidge

LOL

I realize what Romero did late this year...but the douche is also a castoff from both the Halos and the BoSox, where he completely sucked.
Lidge is mental...and could be pushed over the edge (donnie moore style) by the Phillie faithful.
Gordon is a POS. Put him in a big game, and it's a guaranteed rally.
Actually not sure why these AL castoffs succeed in the NL. But add in Mesa and Alf...wow...that's a pen capable of exceeding last year's frustrations, almost on a game by game basis.
Might as well try to sign Proctor, Myers and Farnsworth too...

LOL

I realize what Romero did late this year...but the douche is also a castoff from both the Halos and the BoSox, where he completely sucked.
Lidge is mental...and could be pushed over the edge (donnie moore style) by the Phillie faithful.
Actually not sure why these AL castoffs succeed in the NL. But add in Mesa and Alf...wow...that's a pen capable of exceeding last year's frustrations, almost on a game by game basis.

Couple things on this trade. By trading Bourn it signifies a couple things for the Fightin's. One, they will be keeping Aaron Rowand or they will pursue another free agent CF. They likely won't be looking to do anything in the free agent market for third base. It also might mean that Brett Myers will be moving back to the rotation.

Romero was excellent last season with the Phillies. I'm not sure if he'll be resigned. I hope he will because he completely dominated the teams that matter in the NL East.

Lidge could be really good with the Phillies. He turned it around last season. I can see how this could unravel for the Phillies if Lidge gets off to a bad start. Wait and see.

Couple things on this trade. By trading Bourn it signifies a couple things for the Fightin's. One, they will be keeping Aaron Rowand or they will pursue another free agent CF. They likely won't be looking to do anything in the free agent market for third base. It also might mean that Brett Myers will be moving back to the rotation.

Romero was excellent last season with the Phillies. I'm not sure if he'll be resigned. I hope he will because he completely dominated the teams that matter in the NL East.

Lidge could be really good with the Phillies. He turned it around last season. I can see how this could unravel for the Phillies if Lidge gets off to a bad start. Wait and see.

you literally just stole everything i was going to say as i was reading this thread....

We didn't really need Bourne. And Lidge has the potential to be a dominate closer in the NL.

After the Freddy Garcia deal, no one trusts the Phillies trading for players with past injuries.

LOL

You could say that about 95% of the bullpen guys in baseball...they all suck - thats why theyre in the bullpen

Alofonseca and Mesa are gone

Romero was damn good last year...he was absolutely dominant...you know until that game he lost in Colorado that ended our season, but I digress...

And Ill say it again - we gave up NOTHING for a POTENTIALLY DOMINANT closer

the more i read about it and think about it, the more i like it

for real though. you think UT has a shot at stopping those two speedsters? Its going to be a 45-41 type game if UT wins, I think.

You could say that about 95% of the bullpen guys in baseball...they all suck - thats why theyre in the bullpen

very, very true. prolly a good 60%+ of SPs too, imho.

but i was jsut giving the phillie faithful a hard time. as long as fat albert's not up at the plate, this could work out very well for them.

Back