Phil Steele

Inspekdah

My man, Michael Jordan!
Says it comes out tomorrow. I imagine its on news stands already. No talk about it yet? Still a nice little reference tool and its refreshing to be the one capping source that's not on a computer or tablet for me.

Inspekdah:
Most of the country likely had Phil Steele on the shelves by the middle-latter part of last week. As an informational source to develop fundamental handicapping data on individual teams, there is nothing close to this magazine. The one thing to guard against is Phil always has a team or two that he overrates in the preseason. Certainly, picking an ACC team (Florida State) last year as the No. 1 team was an example. IMO, having Texas at No. 4 is one of this season's examples.

Good luck,
Paul

I'm not sure why Steele has on his site odu is an independent fbs team this year and in lindys they show em as a fcs independent. I'm still waitin to find tha Steele mag. Since he stopped fcs this year, is there any good mag that will break down fcs teams?

Just picked mine up at Publix of all places. Checked B&N earlier and they still didn't have it and Publix does. Go figure

Displayed prominently too I might add. Guess there's alot of soccer mom's picking up dinner for the fam, that also can't wait to get their CFB fix lol

Just got mine today.

LMAO at pg27 "2013's Most Improved Teams". Except for the box in the corner, the entire page is Steele blowing hot air about his past accomplishments and contains exactly 1 sentence about 2013.

If he took out all his self-aggrandizing the mag would probably run 50 pages.

Walgreen didnt have it, CVS did.

browse is right, i dont care what anyone says, while the mag is highly informational, i cant wait for the day where the small print is less about stats and players from years ago and more about projections and the future on the team pages. i find myself wasting half my time reading about shit that is completely irrelevant to this season.

also hate the fact he took betting trends off the last few years on the schedules.

its still the best book hands down, dont get me wrong, but this frustrates me.

I actually start at the last line of the topic/article and read backwards to get this years relevant(?) info.

Just got mine today.

LMAO at pg27 "2013's Most Improved Teams". Except for the box in the corner, the entire page is Steele blowing hot air about his past accomplishments and contains exactly 1 sentence about 2013.

If he took out all his self-aggrandizing the mag would probably run 50 pages.

that too

I don't get all the hype about this guy and his publication. Same for other rags in other sports too. The information is dated by the second game. You want to know how "Bubba U" (fictitious school) plays - watch them and make your own notes. For those who say we can't see "Bubba U", I say bunk as nearly all schools have an on-line feed somewhere that you can watch and many of them are no cost. Also since every school has an official web site, go to it and get the information (depth chart, schedule, etc) you want for free.

I don't get all the hype about this guy and his publication. Same for other rags in other sports too. The information is dated by the second game. You want to know how "Bubba U" (fictitious school) plays - watch them and make your own notes. For those who say we can't see "Bubba U", I say bunk as nearly all schools have an on-line feed somewhere that you can watch and many of them are no cost. Also since every school has an official web site, go to it and get the information (depth chart, schedule, etc) you want for free.

It's worth a few bucks for me to have all of that information in one concise place. I can go through and mark guys out as they're injured, suspended, etc throughout the year. I like having the depth chart and previous years stats at my fingertips for weeks 1-4. I agree that I use Steele less and less as the season goes on but its quite valuable to me from July - September

It's worth a few bucks for me to have all of that information in one concise place. I can go through and mark guys out as they're injured, suspended, etc throughout the year. I like having the depth chart and previous years stats at my fingertips for weeks 1-4. I agree that I use Steele less and less as the season goes on but its quite valuable to me from July - September

Yep agreed. And it comes out when I'm desperate for football news

Okay, when I go to Publix Monday I'll see if they have one and buy it. Who knows, I might like it.

^Lol it's actually productive. Steele drops around the middle of June. Kick-off is roughly 74 days after that. Cover 1 team each time you take a shit(assuming 1 per day) you'll knock out more than half the teams without even trying

It's also phenomenal reading on the shitter

My dump time triples when Steele comes out

As long as the book is mostly information, not all pictures, I'd think there'd be something in there useful. If not, I have a firepit and get some good use from it.

son of a legend .. buy the damn magazine. No one who is going to bet cfb seriously goes without one .. no one.

I don't know about you but I like to be ahead of the curve, not behind it. I want to get on a team early, not after a couple of games when the market has caught on. This mag helps me in that regard

Gotta say this is much better than the other ones I was reading at the store and did buy it.

I agree being ahead of the curve is better than behind it.

One thing around here is that college football is thought of as a religion and gets plenty of media coverage year round.

Any idea on a publication number? How many of these are distributed/ purchased a year?

I figured anyone who enjoyed football wouldn't mind the 10/15 bucks to pick one of these up to kill some time between kick-off. Surprised some people on here haven't heard of/purchased this in the past.

ncaa football and madden are dated basically by the time you get the games, yet people still play it (god i wish i had the time too).

still fun, useful. impossible to get so much accurate though i do think he could do a better job on some depth charts with players that have changed positions.

Back