Phil Steele gone tout?

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Just checked his website for his weekly top 25 forecast, and apparently you have to buy something called inside the press box for $49 to get all his predictions. Also noticed you can buy last year's preview magazine for $14.95. Any of you want it, I'll sell you mine for $10.

if you follow him on Twitter you will notice a definite difference.. Typical tout marketing-- give them a little bit to free and ask for money for the rest..

Technically he always has been. Northcoast Sports and their phone plays, that has always been him. Power Sweep newsletter, that has always been him.

What he did do is really good self promotion and marketing over the last 6 years or so. Making himself a "go-to-guy" on the likes of Bill King's radio show, Finebaum, Cowherd, etc. And he does dozens of local radio shows too. All in an effort to get his name out there and bring people to his website. It never would have worked had so well had he tried to do it as the face of Northcoast Sports.

All-in-all, I like Steele and have always valued the information he puts out. I love the preview magazine, but I've been growing tired of all the patting himself on the back he does and the sometimes rather obvious observation he makes.

Probably now he has put himself out there enough that it is time to start capitalizing on it all, but he always was a service anyway.

Yeah I knew he had a service, but I always read his preview game capsules on Wednesdays to see if there was an angle I didn't see, etc. One year I made picks based on his score predictions in a top 25 pick 'em league I was in, and it did pretty well. No way I'm going to pay for it now. Hopefully his week in review notes will still be available for free, because those are great to get a sense for games I was unable to watch

Agreed, the News and Notes are an asset. Without those being available on his website there is no reason for me to ever go there. He's an ESPN Insider now, which I am not, hopefully he doesn't decide to post the news and notes there instead.

Steele hasn't been the guy he was back in the day since the proliferate of the Internet. All that is in that rag now is him stroking his own cock and making halfhearted predictions. He sucks.

Agreed, the News and Notes are an asset. Without those being available on his website there is no reason for me to ever go there. He's an ESPN Insider now, which I am not, hopefully he doesn't decide to post the news and notes there instead.
This

I consider him an "honest" tout, which is kind of like being a child molester whose heart's in the right place. North Coast doesn't pick games out of a hat, and he's had good seasons (and bad ones). He doesn't necessarily lie about his record, but he plays all the bullshit tout games with plays released at long gone lines, and if the late phones go 0-fer, well you're going to hear about the totals that went 3-1 and how the small college plays swept the board. He's just another guy who can't answer the question, "If your plays are so strong, why don't you fuck off, leave degenerate gamblers alone, and go buy an island?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I subscribed to Power Sweep for 10 years or so, pre-internet, used to be my favorite barstool reading. And it used to be good. It's pretty available for free now if you look around, but it sucks now. Not even a score forecast, he doesn't want to tip his precious totals. Writing and analysis is weaker too. It is just another goldsheet style rag now.

Wednesday is just about behind us and Phil has not posted any 'news and notes' on his site yet. In previous years part 1 was up on Monday and part 2 on Tuesday.

Back